Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I honestly think that Rebirth would have been an excellent time for DC to launch at least a minor tv ad campaign. It would be a great time to get new readers interested and try to prop up the sinking ship industry that we all love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Is there a reason DC and Marvel don't advertise on TV? I only ever see ads for comics inside of other comics.

Because the net gain isn't worth the investment usually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9kNE8VRcvU

Malibu once ran tv ads for their Ultraverse line and it was considered a massive waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPzNZ7mVTZY

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, I guess that explains that.

I guess it's more worth it to make adaptations of their characters in movies, cartoons, and video games.

Edit - Anyway, looking through an artist I like on tumblr's blog resulted in me seeing NSFW art of Jason Todd and Tim Drake together, so I think I'm going to go stab my eyeballs out with forks now.

Roth fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 26, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The weird thing is that DC had house ads in their comics for Rebirth with people at bus stops and on the street looking at big posters of Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman, but there wasn't any actual street campaign (I don't think?)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

Edit - Anyway, looking through an artist I like on tumblr's blog resulted in me seeing NSFW art of Jason Todd and Tim Drake together, so I think I'm going to go stab my eyeballs out with forks now.

Thaaaat's tumblr.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The weird thing is that DC had house ads in their comics for Rebirth with people at bus stops and on the street looking at big posters of Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman, but there wasn't any actual street campaign (I don't think?)

Genius! Why pay for billboards when you can have smaller ads with billboards on it? Miraculous.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
So I was in Target the other night walking through the toy aisle when I saw their selection of Marvel toys.

I guess they decided to only start selling toys to the most hardcore lore-knowing kids.

Xinder fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 26, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Do Marvel not own Anti-Venom?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Ghostlight posted:

The Marvel logo is on that box too. Just smaller for some reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xinder posted:

So I was in Target the other night walking through the toy aisle when I saw their selection of Marvel toys.

I guess they decided to only start selling toys to the most hardcore lore-knowing kids.

I have a Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider action figure, I think your mistake is assuming these are being sold to kids.

(White Tiger has been in comics with the word Avengers in it's title in the last two year, both hilarious and sad that she has an action figure and Scarlet Johansson doesn't)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xinder posted:

Man I actually like the Inhumans and even I don't give a poo poo about loving Triton. They really are banking on hardcore fans I guess.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Skwirl posted:

I have a Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider action figure, I think your mistake is assuming these are being sold to kids.

(White Tiger has been in comics with the word Avengers in it's title in the last two year, both hilarious and sad that she has an action figure and Scarlet Johansson doesn't)

I had never heard of White Tiger before I saw that toy. Same with Triton.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think White Tiger is a major character in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 3.75" line owns. I got a Death's Head figure from it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xinder posted:

I had never heard of White Tiger before I saw that toy. Same with Triton.

This is like the twenty billionth wave. They started digging deep ages ago.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I just started looking closer at the boxes now that I posted the image and noticing the extra parts aren't accessories and that there's a different character name on the top. Are they doing a think where you have to buy all the other figures if you want to get all the pieces of Rhino and Hobgoblin and whoever else? Because that's one bold assumption that people care enough about Hobgoblin to buy like 5 other toys for his sake.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xinder posted:

The Marvel logo is on that box too. Just smaller for some reason.
I was poking fun at his box being the only one that didn't have "Marvel's" in front of his name.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xinder posted:

I just started looking closer at the boxes now that I posted the image and noticing the extra parts aren't accessories and that there's a different character name on the top. Are they doing a think where you have to buy all the other figures if you want to get all the pieces of Rhino and Hobgoblin and whoever else? Because that's one bold assumption that people care enough about Hobgoblin to buy like 5 other toys for his sake.

Yeah, my Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider has two different Rhino heads included.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Ghostlight posted:

I was poking fun at his box being the only one that didn't have "Marvel's" in front of his name.

Oh. I honestly didn't notice that. That is really bizarre and going to bother me now.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To me the inhumans can't really be best buds since they were intended to be kind of unknowable, utterly alien, as a kind of foil to all these powerful characters running around. The idea that every society doesn't share the same values and goals, and they're not necessarily hammy evil, just different.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSO_6YxCirQ

Inhumans had a pretty cool cartoon

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thanks for reminding me of D'compose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

I'm on a Luke Cage kick which has me reading through New Avengers (on the second volume). Getting tired of the public constantly forgetting that Norman Osborn is a a crazy person. Also wish the team fought...I guess obvious villains instead of public relation nightmares.

I really disliked everything about Dark Reign. It was so bad that I actually completely stopped reading Marvel books at the time.

Roth posted:

Is there a reason DC and Marvel don't advertise on TV? I only ever see ads for comics inside of other comics.

TV ads for comic books just end up looking stupid.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Dario the Wop posted:

Before his stint operating the Thunderbolts, he faked a Green Goblin attack on himself to seem innocent. This was in The Pulse, written by Bendis. I wish they'd made that an issue of Spidey or something, everyone forgets it and I don't think anybody read it at the time. It was the issue where the Goblin killed a Lois Lane analogue (forgot her name). Anyway, that's supposed to be the first step to Dark Reign Osborn, then there was his Thunderbolts stint and then his execution of the Skrull Queen in Secret Invasion. Not saying you're not right in being sick of Osborn, but there was a logic to that plotline at least.

Apropos of nothing, Loeb wrote the Ultimates analogues in Superman/Batman as a response to that Pulse issue (I think they were called the Maximums). He mentioned in an interview how he thought Bendis' Not-Lois-death was in poor taste.

Also, I like the Inhumans. And Hawkman. AND HAL JORDAN. :cool:

Yeah, I read The Pulse and unless it was in an issue I missed he pretty publicly outted himself as the goblin. Like right after he came from a press conference about the fake attack, Luke Cage and Spider-Man stopped his limo and he burst out of it on a glider and started throwing pumpkin bombs at the crowd before they captured him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Yeah, I read The Pulse and unless it was in an issue I missed he pretty publicly outted himself as the goblin. Like right after he came from a press conference about the fake attack, Luke Cage and Spider-Man stopped his limo and he burst out of it on a glider and started throwing pumpkin bombs at the crowd before they captured him.

Yeah, Cage smashes the limo because Norman had attacked a pregnant Jessica as the Goblin, and he pretty categorically outs himself and proves that he was the one who murdered fake Lois Lane.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Gaunab posted:

Dammit, I was cutting them a lot slack based on a poorly-remembered issue that did the opposite of what I thought it did. Maybe I just wanted it to make sense for the sake of the story. I don't know. But thank you for correcting me nonetheless.

God, that's so loving stupid. Also I feel like such an rear end, I've been sorta arguing in Dark Reign's favor for that reason for years. I mean it wasn't a great story arc so I was never all in, but gently caress.

gently caress fuckity gently caress gently caress gently caress.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Funnily enough Norman already did the Fake Goblin plot.
After he came back from the dead, he had a homeless person injected with Goblin serum and made fly around just as a way to go "see I am not the Green Goblin.
It's that guy!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

TV ads for comic books just end up looking stupid.
The only good ones are those beautifully animated Batman spots that comic book stores were allowed to tag their logos on at the end, back in the...early 90s?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Xinder posted:

Maybe they are banking on kids buying any random crap as long as it looks cool, though if Marvel was smart they would go the Master's of the Universe route and just make up new characters to throw in comic books for every new issue just to promote a new toy. This, however, would be stupid because kids don't read comics any more.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Xinder posted:

White Tiger and Triton both feature decently prominently in the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon, which has a similarly aged demographic as the concept of action figures.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

It's more that DC/Image/etc. don't own an Anti-Venom.

Skwirl posted:

There are several Black Widow action figures, some specifically the movie versions. Some, the expensive ones, are even actually Scarlet Johansson.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Ghostlight posted:

Thanks for reminding me of D'compose.

That frickin' series scarred and warped me for life, so it did.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just wanted to say that I discovered a kind soul on the Youtube who edited together all of the "Mathnet" segments from Square One into full movies, and well, that pretty much made my day. I know I can't be the only member of this forum who got excited about a half-hour of Canadian math songs after school in the late 80s. ITT: Post your favorite Mathman victory over Mr. Glitch

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 26, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I just wanted to say that I discovered a kind soul on the Youtube who edited together all of the "Mathnet" segments from Square One into full movies, and well, that pretty much made my day.

It's funny how Dragnet has such a unique style that parodies always seem so spot on. That early 2000s reboot with the dad from Married With Kids was terrible.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

It's funny how Dragnet has such a unique style that parodies always seem so spot on. That early 2000s reboot with the dad from Married With Kids was terrible.
"The story you are about to see is a fib, but it's short. The names are made up, but the problems are real."

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 26, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually liked the 2000s Dragnet, Ed O'Neill was a pretty good Friday.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comic Book Resources has a new horrible bland design and Comics Should Be Good is gone. I can't find any of their articles in "CBR exclusives" and there's no blogs tab :( :( :(
http://www.cbr.com/

Updating this: CSBG is done as a separate part of the site, but the writers are still there and the blog's various features will continue. New installments of The Line It Is Drawn and Comic Book Legends Revealed went up today, and Greg Hatcher says his column will go up this weekend.

Without getting people in trouble, I can say the communication of what was going on to the writers was not great, and there were problems logging into the new content system, but everyone seems calmed down now.

My source for this is being friends with some of these guys on Facebook, if that matters.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redbackground posted:

I just wanted to say that I discovered a kind soul on the Youtube who edited together all of the "Mathnet" segments from Square One into full movies, and well, that pretty much made my day. I know I can't be the only member of this forum who got excited about a half-hour of Canadian math songs after school in the late 80s. ITT: Post your favorite Mathman victory over Mr. Glitch

Oh cool, I loved that show despite having no idea what Dragnet was at that age.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Ed O'Neil is a good actor but a Law & Order rip off wasn't the way to go. The spirit of Dragnet is just rooted inherently in the 60s and was practically a series of government PSAs. I don't think there's any doing it in a modern sense without it just being a random cop show with the name stapled on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ed O'Neill should be in Agents of SHIELD and have a bit of a grapple with Clark Gregg. I reckon that'd be fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

You should like it, it was a good show.

• Locked thread