Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Enourmo posted:

Jesus do I have to post the loving broken linkage on my umbrella to get this thread back on track?

Textbook fatigue failure, that's one of 2 that cracked and 2 more are broken already. Anyone know where I can get a steel-hinged one? :v:

Real men use a discarded highway hole plate as a umbrella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

literally a fish posted:

BMW have a software fix that would save them, at minimum, tens of thousands of dollars in replacement batteries for N63 motors in the US. Probably a lot more, I don't know N63 sales figures but it's at least 3-5 $200+ batteries per car.

This fix has been deployed in all other N63 markets.

This fix has not been deployed in the US as it would require emissions recertification, which would lower the official highway mileage figure despite causing no net change in actual real world economy due to the massive disconnect between EPA mileage figures and real world performance on highly turbocharged vehicles, where economy mostly depends on how eager you are to put your right foot down.

If it caused a change in real world economy, somebody somewhere that the fix has been deployed would be complaining about it by now. Nobody is.

The additional load on the engine of keeping the battery at a 10-15% higher minimum state of charge is loving negligible over a tank of fuel. The mere act of running the coolant pumps and thereby running the battery partially down after shutdown consumes more fuel.

This problem was not foreseen as it only happens in the US due to the large amount of steady-state cruising followed immediately by a shutdown and cooldown which is not a common load cycle outside the US.

The lowering of the official mileage figure would inevitably bring a lawsuit either for false advertising or loss in value due to the false number, like this one against GM and Ford's pre-emptive settling of a similar issue

Ergo, BMW cannot update the software in the N63 to prevent it eating batteries in the US, because they'd get sued, which is loving absurd, but that's how it is.

Literally the only point I was trying to make.

:fuckoff: jesus loving christ why do I speak to any of you :suicide:

BMW needs to loving do the software fix simply due to the fact that recycling batteries takes a fair bit more energy than their cars are saving by never charging the loving things.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Without adding to the fire, would a battery tender be able to resolve this issue?

Maybe, if you immediately connected it after shutting the car down. This would probably just confuse the state of charge monitor, though; you know how some modern cars need to be told they've been given a fresh battery? They're constantly monitoring how charged the battery is, and measuring flow out of the battery and into it. Charging it externally means the SoC monitor now potentially thinks the battery is less full than it is, which can cause some weird poo poo to happen.

You can also solve the problem, as an owner, by driving around in regular traffic for a small while after long highway cruises, so the engine gets some idle time to recharge the battery. Hop off the interstate a couple exits early or something.

Not really what we ought to be talking about in this thread, though. Thanks for the content, Enourmo. Are those hinges not made of steel? I thought it was just really thin steel.

EightBit posted:

BMW needs to loving do the software fix simply due to the fact that recycling batteries takes a fair bit more energy than their cars are saving by never charging the loving things.

100% agree. It's a dumb and stupid choice, which they're pretty much forced to make. Hopefully once the cars get out of warranty they'll offer the software upgrade to people; otherwise we might get some really cheap N63-engined BMWs from owners who are sick of paying for a new battery every year :v:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 25, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Enourmo posted:

Jesus do I have to post the loving broken linkage on my umbrella to get this thread back on track?

Textbook fatigue failure, that's one of 2 that cracked and 2 more are broken already. Anyone know where I can get a steel-hinged one? :v:

Use a raincoat instead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Horrible road failures?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

literally a fish posted:

Maybe, if you immediately connected it after shutting the car down. This would probably just confuse the state of charge monitor, though; you know how some modern cars need to be told they've been given a fresh battery? They're constantly monitoring how charged the battery is, and measuring flow out of the battery and into it. Charging it externally means the SoC monitor now potentially thinks the battery is less full than it is, which can cause some weird poo poo to happen.

You can also solve the problem, as an owner, by driving around in regular traffic for a small while after long highway cruises, so the engine gets some idle time to recharge the battery. Hop off the interstate a couple exits early or something.

Not really what we ought to be talking about in this thread, though. Thanks for the content, Enourmo. Are those hinges not made of steel? I thought it was just really thin steel.

100% agree. It's a dumb and stupid choice, which they're pretty much forced to make. Hopefully once the cars get out of warranty they'll offer the software upgrade to people; otherwise we might get some really cheap N63-engined BMWs from owners who are sick of paying for a new battery every year :v:

We shouldn't be talking about preventing mechanical failures in a thread about mechanical failures?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No this thread exists only to point and laugh at people's misfortune.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

literally a fish posted:

Mine are definitely plastic, I'd never noticed before.

totalnewbie posted:

Use a raincoat instead.

That'd totally work except I'm usually carrying around a backpack full of books and a laptop bag (which is leather, but that doesn't help much against central Florida downpours). I had to go to 3 different stores a few years back to find one that was't like 2 feet across like my mom's.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Not so much of a mechanical as a societal failure, this was actually taken in the parking lot of a 'luxury' apartment complex not too far from me.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

Horrible road failures?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Holy gently caress that is terrifying.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Wrar posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Holy gently caress that is terrifying.

For Sale: Unique Studio Apartment
Amazing Ocean Views, easy access from road, plenty of parking above apartment.
Great fishing spot right outside, perfect swimming location, sheltered from storms.
On-site laundry, clothesline.

Won't last long!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Enourmo posted:

Mine are definitely plastic, I'd never noticed before.

That'd totally work except I'm usually carrying around a backpack full of books and a laptop bag (which is leather, but that doesn't help much against central Florida downpours). I had to go to 3 different stores a few years back to find one that was't like 2 feet across like my mom's.

Rain poncho?

I mean, it may not be high fashion but they're light, packs down easily (like, into a sandwich bag - but don't leave it wet in there or it'll grow mildew), and easily fits over backpacks.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

Horrible road failures?

:allbuttons:

Holy loving poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In other news, carbon fibre is so loving cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6J-yw8yjA&t=14s

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Powershift posted:

Horrible road failures?

I don't think you are supposed to park like that. Someone lower down a patrolman to put a ticket on the windshield.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Not so much of a mechanical as a societal failure, this was actually taken in the parking lot of a 'luxury' apartment complex not too far from me.

Saw this happen to a car in under 30 mins the other day. It was when I went to lunch. When I came back the car was on two pavers. Still there three days later. Someone probably didn't make there rim payments .

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Horrible mechanical failure: take a boat “that had already exhibited stability problems” and add fourteen tons of lifeboats to the top deck.

That boat was the SS Easland, and it capsized, killing 848 people.

Clearly, this was the government’s fault for increasing lifeboat requirements from 50% to 75% of passenger capacity.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 26, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Good lord what the gently caress is going on in here. NOx is bad. CO is bad. Mkay?
that said, I actually wouldn't mind retrofitting a DEF system to my fleet of old diesels... NOx is fuckawful.

4 broken spokes from my supermoto.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

SouthsideSaint posted:

Saw this happen to a car in under 30 mins the other day. It was when I went to lunch. When I came back the car was on two pavers. Still there three days later. Someone probably didn't make there rim payments .

Haha do the rim-version-of-aaron's shops repo rims like that? That is awesome. If you can't afford the rim, you probably can't afford to keep rubber on it either.

I had to scroll though a lot of pointless cockjabbery on the last page re: autistic hatred of the nhtsa/ntsb/epa, but wasn't there a time in the 70s when new convertible cars were outright illegal in America? I want to say around 1974-77 or so because of that weird revolt people had against GM/Ford selling terrible, dangerous, lovely cars for decades. Maybe no one wanted to sell them because of liability, or am I just making all this up in my head?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I don't think they were ever actually illegal, there was just a perfect storm of not being economically viable. Crash standards became a thing, and were getting more stringent. Roof crush testing was being proposed. Product liability also became a thing in the wake of Corvairs and Pintos. Convertibles were also simply falling out of fashion. Automakers were unwilling and unable to invest in them anymore.

The 1976 Cadillac Eldorado was marketed as the last American convertible, and then no more convertibles were ever built again the end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Horrible mechanical failure: take a boat “that had already exhibited stability problems” and add fourteen tons of lifeboats to the top deck.

That boat was the SS Easland, and it capsized, killing 848 people.

Clearly, this was the government’s fault for increasing lifeboat requirements from 50% to 75% of passenger capacity.

Current regulations, of course, are that you have to have 100% passenger capacity in your lifeboats. For some types of voyages I think you have to meet that number with a certain amount of boats out of service, too.

I would love to know what the justification was back in the day when 50% was the legal requirement. "Eh, gently caress it, half the people can probably swim?" "Only save the women and children, men all go down with the ship?" "Well, probably half the people will die regardless, so why waste the money?"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sagebrush posted:

Current regulations, of course, are that you have to have 100% passenger capacity in your lifeboats. For some types of voyages I think you have to meet that number with a certain amount of boats out of service, too.

I would love to know what the justification was back in the day when 50% was the legal requirement. "Eh, gently caress it, half the people can probably swim?" "Only save the women and children, men all go down with the ship?" "Well, probably half the people will die regardless, so why waste the money?"

Steerage passengers and deckhands / engine room werent seen as worth saving. Plus shipwrecks were until the 20th century seen as pretty much not a event you planned for anyone to survive, let alone liferafts weren;t seen as being useful in the majority of wrecks so why have more than a guesstimate of potential survivors?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sagebrush posted:

Probably more of a "Right now there's 0%. These guys are fighting with everything they've got to not have to put lifeboats on. We came to an agreement of 50%."

E:
Also, I don't think they ever cared about third class passengers so those wouldn't need lifeboats I guess?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

“Other ships will always be available to take aboard survivors. :downs:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, I mean, imagine it's 1912 and your boat sinks in the middle of the north atlantic during a storm. Say you do make it on a life boat. now what? Who's coming to get you? How much food and water do you have? Also, it's december. hope you were wearing a warm coat and not just a party dress or underwear when you ran for the lifeboats.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 26, 2016

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think the Titanic lifeboats had a box of sea biscuits and some water, though I won't hazard a guess at how long that'd last. And yeah, adding some blankets would have helped a lot - though I don't think anyone that made it into a lifeboat died that time?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jamal posted:

Well, I mean, imagine it's 1912 and your boat sinks in the middle of the north atlantic during a storm. Say you do make it on a life boat. now what? Who's coming to get you? How much food and water do you have? Also, it's december. hope you were wearing a warm coat and not just a party dress or underwear when you ran for the lifeboats.

Well since it's 1912, there's a constant stream of merchant and passenger shipping going back and forth nearby, usually within sight of a signal flare and certainly within radio range.

I mean, come on, one of the main reasons so many people died on the Titanic was because they didn't have enough lifeboats for everyone. The first ship to come to the rescue arrived within two hours of the sinking. You're not going to die with two hours' exposure to cold night air.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

In 1912, there would have been an SOS and also there's enough shipping traffic that a few hours is all you would need to wait / survive. 15 years previously, that would have been a different story.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Sagebrush posted:

Well since it's 1912, there's a constant stream of merchant and passenger shipping going back and forth nearby, usually within sight of a signal flare and certainly within radio range.

I mean, come on, one of the main reasons so many people died on the Titanic was because they didn't have enough lifeboats for everyone. The first ship to come to the rescue arrived within two hours of the sinking. You're not going to die with two hours' exposure to cold night air.

And didn't they not bring the proper signaling flares, so people in range didn't know if they really needed rescuing? I know for a fact that the horrible mechanical failure there wasn't the lifeboats, but the lack of real seals between the hull layers and individual sections of the ship, allowing the water to go around the sealed bulkheads. Cost cutting turned what should have just been a blow that impeded the ship's ability to continue crossing the Atlantic under its own power into one of the largest civilian maritime disasters

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Everything we take for granted in safety tech and procedures has their origins in a bunch of deaths. "Yeah, we make them bright orange and not razor sharp now due to that time tons of people died..."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Door Frame posted:

And didn't they not bring the proper signaling flares, so people in range didn't know if they really needed rescuing? I know for a fact that the horrible mechanical failure there wasn't the lifeboats, but the lack of real seals between the hull layers and individual sections of the ship, allowing the water to go around the sealed bulkheads. Cost cutting turned what should have just been a blow that impeded the ship's ability to continue crossing the Atlantic under its own power into one of the largest civilian maritime disasters

Titanic was significantly more advanced than any other commercial liner in service at the time, in terms of safety features, and many, if not all steel ships had similar metallurgy problems. poo poo, the United States was losing Liberty ships thirty years later due to brittle fractures, because the metallurgy still wasn't understood.

The causative event wasn't that there was some glaring flaw in her construction, or that some evil gently caress with a monocle specced steel of inferior quality; They ran nearly head-on at cruise speed into a giant loving block of ice. There wasn't a single ship in service that would have survived that accident.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

SouthsideSaint posted:

Nah, that's just good old-fashioned dope crime around these parts. I don't know if you can make it out but the jack used was just an OEM car jack and the pavement was scared from the car being dropped on the rotors.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Every ship I sailed on had lifeboat capacity for the whole crew on either of the two boats so a hard list would not be a limiting factor. Modern ships have free fall boats which are terrifying and kill people in training when they fail to use the seatbelts right.
https://youtu.be/al94iUnoT38

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

MrYenko posted:

Titanic was significantly more advanced than any other commercial liner in service at the time, in terms of safety features, and many, if not all steel ships had similar metallurgy problems. poo poo, the United States was losing Liberty ships thirty years later due to brittle fractures, because the metallurgy still wasn't understood.

Yeah, poor metallurgy was one of the major contributing factors of the sinking of the Titanic (...iceberg being one of the others :v: ).

For example, the steel used in the hull was of very poor quality by modern standards (high inclusions, slag, etc.), which reduced the toughness of the plate. ASM Writeup

In addition, wrought iron was used for rivets at the bow and stern and also had high slag content, which could have contributed to rivets failing. Especially when you consider how rivets are formed, slag inclusions will form weak shear planes at the rivet head. NYT Article

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

You're not going to die with two hours' exposure to cold night air.

You absolutely can die from two hours' exposure if you were dunked into the ice cold north Atlantic first.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Gumby suits can buy you a lot of time though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They always warned us back in grade school if you got dropped into the waters of the Turnagain Arm, you would die to exposure in under two minutes. I don't know how the ocean temps in Alaska compare to the north Atlantic but it does illustrate the threat it could be.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ugh, Liberty Ships. They banged them out incredibly quickly (42 day construction time, pushing out 3/day), and expected them to last just five years. The same issues were passed to the T2 tankers, made famous by the Fort Mercer and Pendleton disaster right near me in Chatham. Heavy seas plus brittle steel plus welded construction=ships breaking in half.

I love the fix for the liberty ships: a giant steel plate "belt" that held the sides together...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83wqTkDYwOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ1keTvxddQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijlhugi85I4

Then there's this atrocity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5jv-PIz3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvq0gtWxABk

It's all the EPA's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

lolllll that looks like a gudgeon pin that falls on the ramp.