Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I don't have an accessport yet but I'll hook up my obd2 reader and watch my coolant temp for a while and make sure nothing looks weird. Car runs great, I'm just not a accustomed to the electric fans running so much. Probably because my last car didn't have working AC :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

PaintVagrant posted:

This is probably part of our problem. How much of this radiator is actually getting airflow? 30 square inches?

Here is mine after putting on the Cobb intercooler:

And yes, the intercooler goes right up under the bumper.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My fan is running pretty much constantly when the outside temperature is over 80. AC is almost always set to 72 though, so there's that. I've seen it get in to the 220s on OBD2, but that was on a hot day after 20 minutes or so of hard driving.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

So, what's the preferred hot hatch in the under 6k market? Guessing more of a warm hatch at that point, or a reheated hatch really. What from the early to mid 00s has aged well and has easily accessible parts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SVT Focus?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Crx or civic with a b16 swap

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In my fantasy alternate world timeline Honda sold a hot Fit with a K engine in the US.

That'd probably have cut into Civic Si sales too much, though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

A mazdaspeed 5 if youre not in the rust belt? MAYBE a 8th gen civic si with high miles? a used GTI of some sort

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I like my matrix xrs. Warm hatch is a pretty fair description.

6 speed is entertaining, and it's surprisingly roomy. Toyota reliability and parts are no problem.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Even cheaper get the Pontiac version

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^ and additionally, only the 03-06 matrix xrs/vibe gt. The second generation xrs was a trim level, no 2zz or 6 speed.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That motor is fun. Very Honda esque

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

See these are the secrets I need. Local focus st's are beat to hell so no go on that. I'll look into those Pontiacs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Previa_fun posted:

In my fantasy alternate world timeline Honda sold a hot Fit with a K engine in the US.

That'd probably have cut into Civic Si sales too much, though.

CRZ with the K would be amazing.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

A 1st gen focus with the 2.3 and SVT suspension (dirty cheap new from ford racing) is the secret best cheap warm milk hatchback. The 1G focus has an amazing chassis.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I had a big swaybar on my 00 focus

Oversteer every day

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yesterday was a great example of why I'm not sure I can live without a hatch as my DD. I got a combo of 8 wheels and tires in my Golf without any real issue. I don't think that would work in the civic sedans I've been looking at :ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

Yesterday was a great example of why I'm not sure I can live without a hatch as my DD. I got a combo of 8 wheels and tires in my Golf without any real issue. I don't think that would work in the civic sedans I've been looking at :ohdear:

The hatch is incoming but it's not a very space-efficient hatch design.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The hatch is incoming but it's not a very space-efficient hatch design.

I've been casually looking at 8th gen SI's to try and keep myself from picking up another car payment after my Golf gets bought back, so no hatch option for me there.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those things are so loving dull

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

those things are so loving dull

I didn't mind them, it's all the virtues and vices of the Civic with a revvy engine and a RED AND BLACK INTERIOR. It's obviously not the best performing hot hatch out there, but the K20Z3 is decent other than the rev hang and that's an easy fix.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

They're great cars and mega reliable, assuming the gearbox isn't hosed by the PO. First step of buying a used own is throw away the stock clutch hydraulics and replace with all new (updated) oem parts and steel lines.

I loved mine, but man they're just such a bitch to work on.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hey anyone here have any experience with throwing a stiffer RMM into the Focus ST? Would be interested to hear how things went. I have the eFocus mount in there from the factory for the record.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Some dude in a newer turbo bmw tried to race me on my way home today. I happened to be accelerating in a spirited but legal fashion near him and then next thing I know its fwoooshh groooarrr hisss next to me beeping his horn and trying to start a pull. My car isnt even broken in yet, so I waved him off but made sure he could hear my good natured "you got me!".

Then he really got me, as his car made a couple of just ear-crushing backfires as (I think) he hit the rev limiter. Not sure really, but my windows were down and my ear on the that side is still ringing 30 minutes later.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hey anyone here have any experience with throwing a stiffer RMM into the Focus ST? Would be interested to hear how things went. I have the eFocus mount in there from the factory for the record.

One of the local guys put a Cobb rmm on his Fost and complained of way too much NVH. His gauge pod actually popped off.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

smooth jazz posted:

One of the local guys put a Cobb rmm on his Fost and complained of way too much NVH. His gauge pod actually popped off.

I've heard this is a big complaint as well. The stock one is pretty flimsy though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, kinda looking for that sweet spot between "stiffer than eFocus mount" and "JBR 88 Durometer mount".

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Isnt the mountune one supposed to be a little less NVH than cobb?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

No first-hand experience with it, but I read good things about the cp-e RMM stage 1. Only 55A durometer rating.

That being said, I picked up the Cobb rmm for my RS when I take delivery next month. We'll see how it goes.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 26, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What are you getting in return by installing the mount? And how noticeable a return is it?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

What are you getting in return by installing the mount? And how noticeable a return is it?

Supposed to significantly stop the engine from moving around during hard shifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQth74aJhE

It's only happened to me once but on a hard pull I thought the engine was going to come through and kill me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, hopefully arresting the engine movement will help out with the wheel hop on starts a little. I think in the video you're seeing the mount they had in the original '13s which was from the stock Focus and waaaayyyy too soft. Since '14 (around the middle of the production?) They've been putting in the stiffer mount from the electric Focus which is more around what they should have put into the car in the first place. I have the eFocus mount but still would like a little less movement and can deal with some low RPM vibes. Mountune looking like the best option right about now.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Does it change the shift feel at all?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
People say it can make the shifts feel more direct, but not the major reason people typically put one in the FoST.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Has anyone pulled their FiST clutch spring? I am tired of the grabby engagement and vague bite point. I prefer a pretty heavy clutch anyways, but I have heard mixed reviews of running without the spring.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I pulled it on my FoST, but then I pussed out and put it back in a few weeks later.

I don't think it's really necessary but I just adjusted my seating position and got more practice with the pedal and it got better.

I'm still crap at shifting smoothly.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kinda thought about taking it out when I got the car but quickly got used to the way it feels so I decided not to bother. Still want to put an accelerator pedal spacer in, though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A lot of people break that spring when trying to reinstall it. I don't think you can order just the spring, either. It's probably best not to mess with it, although I don't think it does anything but alter the feel and travel of the pedal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

I kinda thought about taking it out when I got the car but quickly got used to the way it feels so I decided not to bother. Still want to put an accelerator pedal spacer in, though.

Yeah same, anyone know of a decent one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah same, anyone know of a decent one?

I assume the spacer they sell on mod bargains for 55 bux is fine. Or you can go on ebay and find the chinese scanned version of it for $20 or something, assuming that exists (it probably does).