Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

In

AMERICA

I too have watched YGOTAbrS :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Hey I just woke up. What happened with that Anderson Cooper thing?

Also someone asked about the conspiracy about stuff in the water making people gay. Well my mom and aunt are all over this one. It's soy. Soy in baby formula for the past few decades is why we have gay and effeminate men now.

:allears:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oiled and Ready posted:

I think it's funny you settle on the religious test. I find that one of the least unsettling moments. It is most likely constitutional, it has been done (on a small scale) by other presidents and if it was applied as a ban on any religious-extremist country and had an exemption for refugees that were women, children or families it would be a good idea imo.

The scary part of that plank was the November Muslim Ban, long before he was a legitimate candidate. His recent statements on the subject seemed to imitate Rand's bill which is far right but not really fringe.

For better "this is when it got scary" moments try:
-kill their families, with absolutely no qualifier to make it sound less ridiculous (like: if they are a human shield, if they are a known accessory, anything really)

-"worse than waterboarding", and telling a journalist who asked what that was "oh, you'll see" (admittedly still funny but only for a moment)

-Never addressing why Manafort had the Crimea plank changed in the platform

-Sucking the guy who wants to kill gays' dick and donating his LA disaster money to that guy's church, negating his miraculously professional visit to the flood victims entirely

OK im gonna stop because I'm starting to criticize his strategy and not his morals but you get the idea

Wait, when I said "religious test" I meant his November (or was it December?) Muslim ban idea. And he was a legitimate candidate since the first debate. We/pundits/the media/the GOP just didn't see it. As soon as he made that crack about Rosie O'Donnell and emerged unscathed, we were doomed.

The real point I was trying to make though is basically the same as yours. He's had tons of not at all funny, legitimately scary things come out of his mouth and the response has often been either laughter or a serious discussion of his nonsense. Can any of you guys imagine a scenario where Obama could talk poo poo about war heroes and get away with it? I can't.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Best I've ever heard is that killer whales used to attack humans and small fishing boats all the time. They were a menace to man just as much as they are today to seal pups and baby grey whales. Orcas are extremely smart and have a tight knit community. They collectively observed the devastation of nuclear weapons and the power that man had now harnessed and the whole species swore off attacking humans ever again.

I don't care if it's true or not, I choose to believe this is fact (like a Republican voter).

Wikkheiser posted:

Leaving aside the moral case against it, but white nationalism seems really counter-productive from a practical point of view. If you want to preserve your culture you should attempt to spread it and market it toward people outside your culture.

I come from a German-American background and IRL got teased growing up because my name is so extremely. loving. German it's not even funny. (Well, actually it is pretty funy.) My grandparents grew up in the German belt in Texas which includes Fredericksburg.

If it wasn't for tourism, the wine country and marketing it as a German gimmick tourist town no one would ever go there. And that includes appealing to lot of people who aren't white or have a German background, a wonderful diversity of people who you can see walking down Main Street if you ever go there.

You're right. Ideally, one nice thing about capitalism is it should incentivize people to cooperate with others of diverse origins if only for profit. White nationalism isn't even practical. :sad:

Nichael fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 26, 2016

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

CherryCola posted:

Hey I just woke up. What happened with that Anderson Cooper thing?

Also someone asked about the conspiracy about stuff in the water making people gay. Well my mom and aunt are all over this one. It's soy. Soy in baby formula for the past few decades is why we have gay and effeminate men now.

:allears:

Be careful not to discount these fringe views before analyzing whether they have an element based in fact. Liberals are fine with accepting the analogue effect, which is that milk full of hormones causes premature development and overdevelopment in pubescent girls, yet any other related effects are derided as fringe.

I don't know about soy, but many foods/products now have endocrine disruptors in their ingredients. The science isn't clear on the effects of disrupting fetal hormones, but it is accepted by the mainstream that endocrine disruptors have adverse effects in lab mice and do in fact change the levels of hormones within a newly sexed fetus.

It is not a stretch to say that men with abnormally high levels of estrogen or low levels of testosterone may be more likely to be gay or feminine.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the disgust with these theories is more related to what beliefs they're usually used to validate rather than the validity of the science itself.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Someone told me drinking soy milk in my coffee would make me gay.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

How else do you explain why the entirety of China and Japan are gay? All that soy sauce and tofu.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oiled and Ready posted:

Be careful not to discount these fringe views before analyzing whether they have an element based in fact. Liberals are fine with accepting the analogue effect, which is that milk full of hormones causes premature development and overdevelopment in pubescent girls, yet any other related effects are derided as fringe.

I don't know about soy, but many foods/products now have endocrine disruptors in their ingredients. The science isn't clear on the effects of disrupting fetal hormones, but it is accepted by the mainstream that endocrine disruptors have adverse effects in lab mice and do in fact change the levels of hormones within a newly sexed fetus.

It is not a stretch to say that men with abnormally high levels of estrogen or low levels of testosterone may be more likely to be gay or feminine.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the disgust with these theories is more related to what beliefs they're usually used to validate rather than the validity of the science itself.

The phytoestrogens in soy are ridiculously weak, and if it weren't for the unbelievable paranoia of the bodybuilding community, soy = kills T levels would never have become a thing. Even there, it's lost steam.

Is there any study or research done to conclude that both A) there are significant levels of female hormones in the drinking water and B) that this is causing earlier onset of menarche/puberty than would otherwise be expected? I guess it's possible in theory but I can't imagine the hormone isn't altered bigly in the time it takes to go from cow (just guessing that this is the primary source because all water/environmental problems trace back to cattle) to human

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

soy made me like the color pink
why mom
why did u make me eat the soy

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Nichael posted:

Wait, when I said "religious test" I meant his November (or was it December?) Muslim ban idea. And he was a legitimate candidate since the first debate. We/pundits/the media/the GOP just didn't see it. As soon as he made that crack about Rosie O'Donnell and emerged unscathed, we were doomed.

The real point I was trying to make though is basically the same as yours. He's had tons of not at all funny, legitimately scary things come out of his mouth and the response has often been either laughter or a serious discussion of his nonsense. Can any of you guys imagine a scenario where Obama could talk poo poo about war heroes and get away with it? I can't.

First of all, I had Trump winning the nomination as greater than 50% chance since October, so don't lump me into your lack of foresight. Crazy Cloud is one of the few posters I can name offhand who predated my prediction.

Secondly, of course I can think of that because it's been happening from Obama and every other candidate for a long time - the only ground Trump broke is that he said it himself instead of feigning ignorance and having PACs or surrogates do it. An Obama ad questioning how McCain could be president when his broken sad POW fingers couldn't type emails comes to mind.

Your examples of why Trump is scary continue to come from a place that thinks politics were less ugly before this race - the difference now is the nakedness of the ugliness, not the ugliness itself.

Trump's scary statements are in between, when you can see where his brain gears turned and spontaneously decided upon something combustible.

You keep instead bringing up rhetoric that has been used by surrogates for decades - the push poll about McCain's black baby wasn't a happy accident, such a bold move wouldn't be done without the Bush campaign's (off the record) approval.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

fuckin globalists n their fuckin juice boxes makin kids gay
god drat government

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

The phytoestrogens in soy are ridiculously weak, and if it weren't for the unbelievable paranoia of the bodybuilding community, soy = kills T levels would never have become a thing. Even there, it's lost steam.

Is there any study or research done to conclude that both A) there are significant levels of female hormones in the drinking water and B) that this is causing earlier onset of menarche/puberty than would otherwise be expected? I guess it's possible in theory but I can't imagine the hormone isn't altered bigly in the time it takes to go from cow (just guessing that this is the primary source because all water/environmental problems trace back to cattle) to human

The contention I am defending is that in sufficient quantity anything that acts as an endocrine disruptor could cause sexual "deviancy" (as in statistics).

I do not know anything about what people claim is a common endocrine disruptor and from a quick look I'd guess a Nalgene bottle left out in 95 degree heat and then drank from over time would be far more noticeable than eating soy, even in large quantities.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oiled and Ready posted:

The contention I am defending is that in sufficient quantity anything that acts as an endocrine disruptor could cause sexual "deviancy" (as in statistics).

I do not know anything about what people claim is a common endocrine disruptor and from a quick look I'd guess a Nalgene bottle left out in 95 degree heat and then drank from over time would be far more noticeable than eating soy, even in large quantities.

I'm not sure hormone levels are connected to sexual deviancy at all, so while your concerns may be valid I'm not sure I can follow them into the realm of your conclusion

And yeah older Nalgenes (most are BPA-free nowadays) are bad news in that regard. Probably still are but it's just a chemical we don't know about yet that's leeching in. You're better off with one of the more malleable ones because it's the process of hardening that introduces a lot of the ugly stuff

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the idea that having more female hormones(aka being 'less of a man' hormonally) makes men gay(because a gay man is 'less of a man') is some retarded rear end pseudo science that's not based in anything

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Epic High Five posted:

Plus, this would mean you'd have to ignore that there have been gay people and fluidly gendered people since the beginning of time. These arguments are used to say that entire groups of people are somehow damaged goods and is generally associated with the whole "pussification of America" rhetoric which I find absolutely disgusting.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Turdfuzz posted:

fuckin globalists n their fuckin juice boxes makin kids gay
god drat government

The idea that the sexing and subsequent male/female development of a previously homogeneous fetus is a complex chain of events that may be disrupted by modern industry and life isn't a crazy idea.

A study I found from the Comparitive Biochemistry and Biology journal, for example, has hormone disruptors greatly reducing the average life of newts because it fucks up their norepinephrine balance.

A complete disregard for the science of sex (not gender, keep your sociological and cultural superiority if you like) and a similar disregard for the science of depression, anxiety and other mental disorders in favor of a purely social-constructivist view of "normal" is a huge problem.

Legitimizing complete social constructivist loons just because conservatives gently caress up any attempt to parse biological science in any way deeper than "blacks got heavy bones so they can't swim" is a recipe for disaster

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I'm going to eat all the soy and become pretty and gay.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Plus, this would mean you'd have to ignore that there have been gay people and fluidly gendered people since the beginning of time. These arguments are used to say that entire groups of people are somehow damaged goods and is generally associated with the whole "pussification of America" rhetoric which I find absolutely disgusting.

Yeah, I had a paragraph in there detailing examples but decided against it. I think the main thing to point out here is that people's sexuality doesn't typically change when they undergo hormone therapy, which is about as strong a refutation as I can think of.

People ascribe a whole lot more to sex hormones and behavior than is maybe fair, especially in regards to testosterone and aggression

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I mean yeah it's not beyond the pale to imagine cattle dumping a shitload of hormones into the water supply that a lot of municipalities aren't filtering is going to alter some things, but to go straight to sexual deviancy is presenting yourself with a big hurdle right out of the gate

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I ate tofu once and now im gay

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
scientists putting chemicals into the water to turn alex jones into a gay frog

read about it on info wars dot com

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
China used Tofu to turn millennials into gay lizard people who live in parents basements.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Constant Hamprince posted:

scientists putting chemicals into the water to turn alex jones into a gay frog

read about it on info wars dot com

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Upside Potential posted:

China used Tofu to turn millennials into gay lizard people who live in parents basements.

This actually makes the most sense because that's what Chinese people are anyway

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Actually no, there is one (or two) ancient societies we think of as having many gay and gender fluid people. You know the ones I'm referring to. They had aqueducts and we all know they lined them with lead, so let's see what the NIMH says about lead's relation to endocrine systems....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19411819

Please note I self-identify as bisexual and more importantly I find that both cool and acceptable. If chemicals are causing sexual deviation (in the statistical sense) we should research it not to "Fix gays" but rather to see if these disruptions are causing other effects. It is possible that hormone disruption is also related to things like rising levels of depression via norepinephrine, etc

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I think this is most bizarre tangent night crew has been on yet. I need more coffee.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

im gonna need a romhack of SNES classic Zombies Ate My Neighbours called Globalists Turned Me Gay where you play a woke af alt-right bro trying to reverse the jew-feminista conspiracy, right the gently caress NOW!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oiled and Ready posted:

Actually no, there is one (or two) ancient societies we think of as having many gay and gender fluid people.

It's not gay if you're the top.

That's actual Roman reasoning.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

in the end it turns out the princess was in another castle, and its you and the story ends with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Oiled and Ready posted:

Actually no, there is one (or two) ancient societies we think of as having many gay and gender fluid people. You know the ones I'm referring to. They had aqueducts and we all know they lined them with lead, so let's see what the NIMH says about lead's relation to endocrine systems....

whenever i think of nimh i think of all the intelligent medieval-punk rat societies they created and let escape into the countryside. when are you going to answer for your crimes, nimh

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I think this is most bizarre tangent night crew has been on yet. I need more booze.

ftfy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Antti posted:

it's also the reasoning of half the men on grindr tbf

Oiled and Ready posted:

A complete disregard for the science of sex (not gender, keep your sociological and cultural superiority if you like)
but we're talking about sex in the context of people's attraction to one gender or another here, dude

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
Soy makes you Gay when you are a boy. Gay men love young boys. Trump gave money to NAMBLA.

Thus, Trump puts soy sauce in his cereal!

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

lock all preggers women in a sealed room n force feed them a simple nutrient paster until babby is born
gotta keep these fetuses from goin gay

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, I had a paragraph in there detailing examples but decided against it. I think the main thing to point out here is that people's sexuality doesn't typically change when they undergo hormone therapy, which is about as strong a refutation as I can think of.

People ascribe a whole lot more to sex hormones and behavior than is maybe fair, especially in regards to testosterone and aggression

That is the worst possible "especially", no way the gender gap in violent crime is purely a societal construction. This gap crosses all cultures.

That is not a strong refutation at all because hormones play completely different roles in a fetus or in early development than they do in an adult. The only sexual change I've seen in MtFs from hormones has been an increase in libido, and much of that can probably be ascribed to an increase in self esteem.

Epic High Five posted:

I mean yeah it's not beyond the pale to imagine cattle dumping a shitload of hormones into the water supply that a lot of municipalities aren't filtering is going to alter some things, but to go straight to sexual deviancy is presenting yourself with a big hurdle right out of the gate

It is not possible to have this conversation with anyone who doesn't understand:

1. We are animals who are intended to be straight by our genetics, but almost all animals have a gay population for some reason
2. Our genetics are weird semi-random gobbledegook and no moral argument can be made for why gay people are inferior - the planet is overpopulated, gay sex doesn't violate your rights, more gay people isn't a bad thing but maybe we should study mechanisms of gender and hormone correlation and perhaps ban some bad plastics or chemicals!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Oiled and Ready posted:

The idea that the sexing and subsequent male/female development of a previously homogeneous fetus is a complex chain of events that may be disrupted by modern industry and life isn't a crazy idea.

A study I found from the Comparitive Biochemistry and Biology journal, for example, has hormone disruptors greatly reducing the average life of newts because it fucks up their norepinephrine balance.

A complete disregard for the science of sex (not gender, keep your sociological and cultural superiority if you like) and a similar disregard for the science of depression, anxiety and other mental disorders in favor of a purely social-constructivist view of "normal" is a huge problem.

Legitimizing complete social constructivist loons just because conservatives gently caress up any attempt to parse biological science in any way deeper than "blacks got heavy bones so they can't swim" is a recipe for disaster

I loving hated your posting for a while but you have been spitting straight truth all night long and I respect that. As someone that struggles with severe mental illness seeing how it's been treated by a lot of people as something normal makes me mad. You can manage it and live a normal life but people acting like you are just like everyone else is insulting I think.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I think this is most bizarre tangent night crew has been on yet. I need more coffee.

I do these often!

Antti posted:

This is on point. Present levels of hormones seem to relate more to preferred dom/sub behavior whereas childhood hormones seem to relate more masculine/feminine preference.

A guy who fucks guys is more masculine than a submissive guy who sometimes gets to gently caress his domineering wife.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oiled and Ready posted:

I do these often!

This is on point. Present levels of hormones seem to relate more to preferred dom/sub behavior whereas childhood hormones seem to relate more masculine/feminine preference.

A guy who fucks guys is more masculine than a submissive guy who sometimes gets to gently caress his domineering wife.

Enough about boosted!

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

hmmm indeed
rapists are mega masculine
so domineering

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

john wayne gacy is obvs a god of masculinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Proceedings from the National Academy of I Don't Know Estrogen Makes You Gay or Something

• Locked thread