Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

The horrible smug hamminess has grown on me, mostly because he's having so much fun doing it. Probably be a lot less tolerable if he weren't pretty great otherwise, admittedly.

I can't stand looking at him. I would enjoy his videos way more if he was a voice and never showed up on camera.

It's not just because he's a fat gently caress either, I hate the stupid way he dresses. I realize it's a gimmick, but it's a really lovely gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

WampaLord posted:

I can't stand looking at him. I would enjoy his videos way more if he was a voice and never showed up on camera.

Plus, all those toys spread out across his speaking podium makes him appear like a real life version of the Simpson's comic book guy. Don't get me wrong, I like his videos, but I agree that his on-camera presence is not great.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I do like Jim Sterling's stuff, but, for me, it required a) getting past the dumb name that is "The Jimquisition" and b) That God-awful intro to every one of his videos.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jim Sterling is cool and good and his transformation from someone who used the term 'feminazi' unironically to the cool and good dude he is now owns bones.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

WampaLord posted:

It's not just because he's a fat gently caress either, I hate the stupid way he dresses. I realize it's a gimmick, but it's a really lovely gimmick.

It's wierd, because I find diamanda hagan's gimmich annoying and distracting, but Jim makes a similar gimmick work reasonably well.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I love Jim's gimmick and the more people it pisses off the more I like it

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
A while back there was a really great video about the relationship between internet personalities and the audience that I think was posted in the last iteration of this thread, but for the life of me I can't find it. Would anyone know who made it, or have a link to it?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

SteelMentor posted:

A while back there was a really great video about the relationship between internet personalities and the audience that I think was posted in the last iteration of this thread, but for the life of me I can't find it. Would anyone know who made it, or have a link to it?

I believe it was something Cheapskate made?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I do like Jim Sterling's stuff, but, for me, it required a) getting past the dumb name that is "The Jimquisition" and b) That God-awful intro to every one of his videos.

Press the K key a couple of times and YT will skip ahead to near the end of the intro.

EDIT: It's the L key and I'm a huge idiot

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 26, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

That's the one, thank you so much.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

OldMemes posted:

It's wierd, because I find diamanda hagan's gimmich annoying and distracting, but Jim makes a similar gimmick work reasonably well.

It's the accent.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Alacron posted:

If not for Jim Sterling, I would have never remembered how worthless of a fad POGs were.

I still have my POGs.

My favorite had a unicorn on it. :|

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Press the K key a couple of times and YT will skip ahead to near the end of the intro.

K is play/stop, J and L skip ten seconds in their respective directions.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

SteelMentor posted:

And thanks for calling it “really great”!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

echopapa posted:

And thanks for calling it “really great”!

Really mean it, it's really helped save my bacon wrt this essay I'm writing. Helped explain Parasocial Interaction far better than these textbooks are.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Andrew Verse posted:

K is play/stop, J and L skip ten seconds in their respective directions.

Why the unholy gently caress spacebar doesn't automatically pause the video is anyone's guess. I have literally never once wanted to scroll down the page instead of pausing the video.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I love Jim's gimmick and the more people it pisses off the more I like it

Jim's opinion is both funny and insightful, and I appreciate his videos. For me, it's only his audience-facing content that seems distracting. Between the supervillain costume and the over-the-top tacky set, it's a bit much. Sometimes less is more, you know? But when Jim is just talking about games and showing footage, he's awesome.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jedah posted:

Jim's opinion is both funny and insightful, and I appreciate his videos. For me, it's only his audience-facing content that seems distracting. Between the supervillain costume and the over-the-top tacky set, it's a bit much. Sometimes less is more, you know? But when Jim is just talking about games and showing footage, he's awesome.

Same, he makes solid points in an entertaining way and doesn't really need the artifice

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Why the unholy gently caress spacebar doesn't automatically pause the video is anyone's guess. I have literally never once wanted to scroll down the page instead of pausing the video.

It does, but you have to have clicked on the video and not on the page.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Has to do with web standards and the way that web browsers track focus. Since the default focus is on the page as a whole, not the specific video element, the spacebar obeys that behaviour, which is defined at the browser level. Since the J, K, and L keys have no defined behaviour, YouTube is able to hijack those into always controlling the video, unless the user focus changes to a text box.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Puppy Time posted:

It does, but you have to have clicked on the video and not on the page.

Am I crazy, or was there a time where you didn't have to do this? Like, if you opened up a video and didn't touch anything but the space bar, it would default to pausing the video instead of scrolling.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I've got a new review out, and it's probably my least jokey yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMQIzzcRWA

EDIT: The downvote squad has already descended, lol.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 27, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

DStecks posted:

Finished this. Really great D. :)

MEanwhile
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/769336245835198464

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Speaking of Jim just providing commentary over footage, this video is one I always come back to when I need a quick laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnBCOYCsAHc

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
For more Jim Sterling content he also contributes to an improvisational comedy podcast about a publicity relations company called Fistshark Marketing that I've started listening to recently and its pretty entertaining. One of the co-hosts also joins him in his podcast about video-game movies The Movie Boys Spinoff Doctors.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 27, 2016

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

poparena posted:

Another day, another book review, this time on Ryu Murakami's "Coin Locker Babies", a disturbing piece of weirdness from the guy who wrote "Audition."

This is a great little video, and a pretty good description of a book that is pretty hard to describe. It's never been far from my thoughts since I read it a couple of years ago, and it sounds lk you had a similar experience to me!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DStecks posted:

Great stuff! I'm glad I'm not the only person who felt like Manos had the capacity to be an interesting horror flick; it had a lot of really interesting elements to it, and something about the bizarre outsider art filmmaking appeals to me. (Though of course, I doubt I could get through it without the MST3K guys doing their thing. That pacing is dismal!)

You'll have to let us know how the book is; I remember bingeing on Jackey's blog a few months back. The production details are definitely more interesting than the movie itself.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Saturday's video is on "Sabriel" by Garth Nix, the first book in his Old Kingdom setting. I feel like I'm going to upset a few people with this one, I have one really good friend who considers this his favorite book of all time, but I had some major issues with it.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

This is a great little video, and a pretty good description of a book that is pretty hard to describe. It's never been far from my thoughts since I read it a couple of years ago, and it sounds lk you had a similar experience to me!

Thank you! I might have to come back to Coin Locker Babies some day and do a much in-depth analysis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tracula posted:

http://redlettermedia.com/best-of-the-worst-plinketto-2/

Aaah gently caress you. Denise Crosby is really good on Ray Donovan these days.
Oh my god the Dom Deloise segment

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Oh my god the Dom Deloise segment

Biology is fascinating. I f'n love science!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

A while back someone mentioned "Pretty Good" (the episode on 24). It's great. I'm doing an archive binge now. Sort of. There's ~9 episodes.

And one of them seems to be missing. The one about the soviet officer who saved all our asses. Episode 4, I think.

I can't find any alternate posts of it-- or even why it was taken down. Though I did find the original page on sbnation, which includes "music credits", so I assume it's been ContentID?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lornekates posted:

A while back someone mentioned "Pretty Good" (the episode on 24). It's great. I'm doing an archive binge now. Sort of. There's ~9 episodes.

And one of them seems to be missing. The one about the soviet officer who saved all our asses. Episode 4, I think.

I can't find any alternate posts of it-- or even why it was taken down. Though I did find the original page on sbnation, which includes "music credits", so I assume it's been ContentID?

im going to guess it had something to do with Kevin Costner, because everything bad can be tied back to him somehow

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Once I saw The Skateboard Kid on the Plinketto Board, I knew it was going to show up. That movie is making the rounds with youtube critics, isn't it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ross continues his look at Deus Ex with a video on Deus Ex: Invisible War.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I can't wait to see how Kunster gets really mad at this one

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well at least this one kinda explains why he'd find the story so weird: Dude skipped the tutorial of DX1, which does explain quite some of the plot. And you can see him somehow skip the basketball ball court segment on the New York which has an event where saving an homeless person from thugs gives you not only the info about the underground homeless town, but also gives you someone to speak for to give you a password easily.

... Seriously is "He's heavily confused by the game plot but yet boasts about exploring the game world for a long time, which would clarify a lot of his issues with the plot" a bad point?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ross tends to review games using an historical context followed up by his own experience. He tried to get you to imagine first impressions of a game as it originally came out in the 90s and then how his views have changed in twenty years. I mean if you didn't play the tutorial when deus ex originally came out you would be confused too

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I owned the demo so I was kinda stuck with the first and second campaign (Planet Deus Ex did have an update that let you up to the generator mission) and the tutorial, so as a kid I did play the tutorial first and then, like Ross, sorta scoured said levels. Even as a kid, I figured way more than he did as an adult, which is why I'm honestly baffled since he had the added bonus of being far more proficient at the game's language and he seemed to be more used to weird adventure games, so I'd thought he'd be more likely to catch on that reading thru the "second level of lore" as he put it would give him quite a big edge on the game. Being a packrat after you leave unatco for the first time? A homeless child rewards you with the passcode to behind the Castle Clinton if you decide to give him a candybar. Check up on Sandra after you saved her from that thug? Her friend gives you Smuggler's password. The list goes on if he treated Deus Ex like an adventure game instead of a shooter.

I wouldn't mind his level of analysis if he was playing this on a Twitch.tv stream to his audience, but this is not only edited video, it's a long video where as an adult he played it several other times to get footage. So his first impressions vs current impressions sort of blur together. It would be like if LGR ended this review with going back to the point he made as a kid and criticized the game for that.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jontron be back. Jontron be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=subQrEPKytA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hey Lupa, does Baywatch ever do a story like similar to that of my favourite lifeguard story? Sure it's not awards baity but it was one Australian lifeguard saving the same Japanese tourist three or four times over an hour?

• Locked thread