Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

She's got legs. I am going to assume she knows how to use them.

Not if she's a paraplegic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's really weird when you encounter it the other way, when you have an audience that is so used to seeing stylized depictions of people, that when you show them a person with realistic proportions they say it's wrong. I have run into that a bunch of times in CG :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's like Freaks and Geeks has some really ugly, hobbit looking mofos and then Jason Sudekis and Franco and Cardellini looks like passable-hot.

But then you look at your middle school yearbook and, yep, some hobbit looking mofos sandwiched between That Girl and That Guy that was blessed by Odin's Divine Puberty.

Or how "action" stars pre-arnold were like relatively in shape dudes and all of a sudden the 80s makes anyone without a 6-pack and massive arms look like dadbod weenies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jason Segal?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The one that wrote the world's most kickass puppet Dracula opera, yes.

God, if only Nintendo would pay him to write a Castlevania puppet rock opera.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Or how "action" stars pre-arnold were like relatively in shape dudes and all of a sudden the 80s makes anyone without a 6-pack and massive arms look like dadbod weenies.

Even tracing Hugh Jackman's bodies is a study in "jesus the standards are ridiculous"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Steroids are a hell of a drug.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
When I think of unrealistic standards of beauty in media, I think of 80s action stars.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr. Squishy posted:

When I think of unrealistic standards of beauty in media, I think of 80s action stars.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's true. Jackie Chan is gorgeous.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

It's true. Jackie Chan is gorgeous.

What is he? 70 years old now? Dude doesn't age at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madkal posted:

What is he? 70 years old now? Dude doesn't age at all.

Yeah but inside...

Any doctor that looks at Jackie Chan's x-rays must feel like Karnak. "If I just struck at this point here, his entire body would shatter and crumble."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lobok posted:

Yeah but inside...

Any doctor that looks at Jackie Chan's x-rays must feel like Karnak. "If I just struck at this point here, his entire body would shatter and crumble."

Yeah but then he'd reform like the T-1000.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Huge Ackman

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Phy posted:

Huge Jacked Man

:cmon:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah but then he'd reform like the T-1000.

Probably with a "You're getting better!" attached.

(Never forget that 'Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire' is a game that exists. It is a silly thing.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

See: Bruce Lee facing off against Chuck Norris in The Way of the Dragon. Lee, of course, looks like he's flexing every single muscle in his body individually; on the other hand, Norris was clearly a visibly powerful guy but he was hardly a super-jacked giant.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You'd never see a man get his chest hair ripped off these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatface posted:

You'd never see a man get his chest hair ripped off these days.

Because it's already been waxed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Real men bite off the chest hair

of their man friends

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This is :krad:, discuss.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It's a mess of body parts randomly stuck together in the general area of joints

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"it's awesome the guys all look and act super gay but they're not"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Why are those quotation marks there, it's almost like you're being ironic.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I see a cat robot shedding its human disguise?

Internet Wizard posted:

Or this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Eh the worst you can say about Jojo art is that it's super fashion-platey. If you want to get into someone who's obviously never attended a life drawing class, look at One Piece. I'm not going to pull out examples (because there's fuckin' thousands of pages of it) but the male characters barely register to my eyes as human and the female characters are sticks with balloons on them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
JoJo art is super stylized. Their in those weird poses but it's not trying to be realistic, it's an artistic license like something you might see in a classic painting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
And One Piece is super cartoony, It's not trying for realistic human proportions at all, and has never attempted for it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

but enough about superhero comics

Araki is a genius when it comes to character design, he can draft an awesome action setpiece or a horror scene but to this day he still can't draw a dog

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was so upset when I was reading Jojo part 3 and the dog started out as the stupidest looking pug ever but slowly morphed into a lame-rear end heroic looking dog.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Onmi posted:

And One Piece is super cartoony, It's not trying for realistic human proportions at all, and has never attempted for it.

I know, and I (personally) can't stand it. There's plenty of "cartoony" art that has a good grasp of anatomy and plays with it in interesting ways. One Piece fails at that in my opinion.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The overall style of One Piece is really hard for me to look at at all, it's so crammed with poo poo in every square millimeter. There's no negative space at all and it's really hard to focus on any particular part of any given page. I mean it's not that I just reject manga all together, there's a big difference between this:

and this:

One Piece is like a visual version of galtse basically

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

WickedHate posted:

This is :krad:, discuss.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

The overall style of One Piece is really hard for me to look at at all, it's so crammed with poo poo in every square millimeter. There's no negative space at all and it's really hard to focus on any particular part of any given page. I mean it's not that I just reject manga all together, there's a big difference between this:

It is a problem for a lot of shounen manga, they try to cram action and speech bubbles in every panel on a page with no space left to breathe. I couldn't power through the first volume of My Hero Academia because of that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Posting Otomo is cheating imo, it's like comparing someone to Moebius or Art Adams

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well yeah I'm aware it wasn't a fair comparison but it gets the point across :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

Posting Otomo is cheating imo, it's like comparing someone to Moebius or Art Adams

I'm not sure it's right for an artist to be named "Art". It's cheating.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

One piece is great y'all are jerks. I think his character designs and the expressiveness is all fun stuff. Aside from his version of hot ladies which are embarrassing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Chinaman7000 posted:

One piece is great y'all are jerks. I think his character designs and the expressiveness is all fun stuff. Aside from his version of hot ladies which are embarrassing.

Eh, no need to defend it, Oda's got more money than literal God, he earns $20 million a year from drawing a funny book about a rubber pirate punching people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3GuBdauQA

He's an amazing artist with a pretty ridiculous eye for detail and speed considering just how packed his pages are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I pause at actually calling it "bad" because I know that's subjective. But there was this one splash page where it took me a while to notice one of the super muscular characters in the background because he didn't read as human to my eyes.

I just wish the artist would take a life drawing class or two, then come back and redevelop his style. But obviously enough people like his style that that will never happen.