Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Kerscher is kind of a joke list, but you know that. It works, sometimes, but it has no arty and no recce and Tiger Is are kind of useless by late war. You're really hoping for a nice poorly-supported tank list so you can blow everything up with your great guns.

Which of those lists are you doing, otherwise? Hungarians are pretty good, and they have the classic assault pancake, which is, without exaggeration, probably one of the best late-war assault guns.

ALL OF THEM.

(currently focusing on the two 11th Armoured lists & probably Hungarians. Using Stugs for the time being, since I've not been able to source plastic assault pancakes (plus I already had them from Open Fire - and maybe Kerscher, because that wouldn't take long to set up - literally one PSC box set and a Zvezda Tiger & King Tiger and you're pretty much done). I'm kind of considering making a Canadian Rifle company and using the CAR as support platoons instead of yet another Tank Company, since I've been told that is good synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I have a feeling I might've been the one giving you that advice.

Assault pancakes are purely resins, AFAIK.

The thing about Brits is it's almost always worth considering taking any armoured list as an infantry company with a lot of support. British infantry can be mounted in heavy APCs, so you have a solid mechanised component to your list, and more importantly, it opens up night attacks, which is pretty much a combination "get into assault free" ticket for your infantry and also a "gently caress up anything that opens fire with fireflies" combination. The main things you need to be concerned about are bogging checks and your slower movement speed, but unless you're unlucky you have 4-5 turns of scurrying under cover of darkness to position.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Nice to see you have a good first game! Finding a good group of gamers is probably the largest influence on how enjoyable the hobby is, more so than game you're actually playing or how nice looking your miniatures are.
This is 100% true. I had a great game of Dino Hunt Dice today because of the group. Of course it looks like you got a dude with spectacularly nice mans to teach you to play with too, which is always nice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ilor posted:

Then we should do it. I know exactly two things about VASSAL or Roll20 (those being "jack" and "poo poo"), but there has to be some way we can put something together so you can at least give the mechanics a try. Maybe we mine Grey Hunter for ideas after that Sharp Practice game, yeah?

I could start making the assests for a CoC Roll20 - its only really the maps that take any time.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Grey Hunter posted:

I could start making the assests for a CoC Roll20 - its only really the maps that take any time.

I play wargames on maptools, and this site is fantastic for top-down views of basically every military figure you need
http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.php/figure/figureList/topdowns

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just what I need to print myself a force for FFOT!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I've been playing in a campaign-style Flames of War game for about a year now using maptools. If other people are also using virtual tabletops, I figured I should post what I've got here. This isn't all the assets we've used, just the ones I have on hand at the moment. They should all be scaled right for Flames of War, proportions-wise at least. Mostly early-mid war stuff

https://mega.nz/#!KFZmiIoS!fkkTL6te7aZNlEocF346AmgErbIKozVJzWAhqvJbU-Y

Here's some of the American stuff from it:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Meta.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Kaza42 posted:

I've been playing in a campaign-style Flames of War game for about a year now using maptools. If other people are also using virtual tabletops, I figured I should post what I've got here. This isn't all the assets we've used, just the ones I have on hand at the moment. They should all be scaled right for Flames of War, proportions-wise at least. Mostly early-mid war stuff

https://mega.nz/#!KFZmiIoS!fkkTL6te7aZNlEocF346AmgErbIKozVJzWAhqvJbU-Y

Here's some of the American stuff from it:

I've been looking for online FoW for ages. Is their a community at all or just setting up private games with friends

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

If there's a community, I don't know of it. It's just been me and my friends, but I'd be happy to play a match with you over maptools if you're interested

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I love my crazy local wargaming community. Yesterday I posted some WIP pics of my first French line infantry:

Other dude: "Nice. I look forward to see how Sharp Practice works out. I bought some of Perry and Victrix boxes a while ago, that I never got around to doing anything with"

Us: "Really? That's great! Which ones did you get?"

Other dude: "Well, most of them."

So now it seems that if we combine the stuff that I've bought and the light infantry that another guy is thinking of getting, we'll end up with a pretty sizeable French army much sooner than expected.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've been looking at the Perry AWI boxes for Sharp Practice, and I can't really sort out from their description if they include light infantry suitible models.

I'm trying to decide what I need to buy to get a good starter force, I think two boxes for each side, but do I get a box of Continental Line and a box of militia for the Americans, or two Line? Likewise does my British force need two line, or a Line and box of Hessians to make things look a bit more interesting.

Any advice on getting a good start army for both sides?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
You'll get good mileage from mixing British and American perry plastics for both sides (cuff lace being the only problematic uniform difference)

All the British plastics are advancing, the Americans are at shoulder arms with some informal arms and hunting shirts as well.

The American box includes light infantry hats if you want the late war official uniform, otherwise there are only a few hunting shirts, if you want rifles I would suggest buying the metals, although I'll quote mine that I made from the box.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Crosspost from oath and miniatures thread, some more non-WW2 content for y'all. Decided to add some riflemen to my AWI Continental army from the new Perry boxed set.

nevermind the charleville musket on the right, there werent many hunter shirt arms

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah it really depends on what you're going for and how :spergin: you feel.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah it really depends on what you're going for and how :spergin: you feel.

Considering this is the historicals thread I think it's safe to assume we all feel maximum :spergin:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well then, which theater? Northern, Mid-Atlantic, or Southern? Also which year?

It changed a lot. It was a long war.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
We had our second game of Sharp Practice 2 yesterday and this time we went Austrians V French. Happy to say the game ran much much more smoothly than our first attempt. Its a fun ruleset.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I just bought some Arab Light Horsemen in anticipation of learning to play Saga: Crescent and Cross. My local gaming store has a Saga day once a month and I'm trying to motivate myself to build and paint a 4-point warband in 30 days. (I'm doing Saracens)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh for god's sake after all that effort putting my Comet company together, Battlefront put out a compilation box. Typical! Oh well, at least the Bulge compilations are coming out soon. And I suppose if I'm buying into BA at the same time I couldn't really justify buying two big boxes of WWII minis.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Some neat information on Red Army tactics from WW2 http://www.20thgmb.com/rkaa-tactics.html

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh for god's sake after all that effort putting my Comet company together, Battlefront put out a compilation box. Typical! Oh well, at least the Bulge compilations are coming out soon. And I suppose if I'm buying into BA at the same time I couldn't really justify buying two big boxes of WWII minis.

It is, to be fair, a bad box :v:

I've been talking about it with a lot of people and we're all of the agreement that the only good starter is the US one. The German one is at least tolerable if you assume it's meant to be a CT Panther company, but you can't get CT Jagdpanthers.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Some neat information on Red Army tactics from WW2 http://www.20thgmb.com/rkaa-tactics.html

Texans recreating a Soviet Guard brigade? Now I've seen everything. :)

Cool link

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Man, that's fascinating stuff. ...Probably worth showing the milhist thread.

EDIT: Actually, one of the obvious questions is how many troops are those figures standing in for? The range is pretty obviously compressed, but what about the troops? Is it 1-1, one stand/tank per platoon, to a company, etc?

spectralent fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 25, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

Texans recreating a Soviet Guard brigade? Now I've seen everything. :)

Cool link

I'm a New Englander who recreates a Soviet Guard brigade.

spectralent posted:

Man, that's fascinating stuff. ...Probably worth showing the milhist thread.

EDIT: Actually, one of the obvious questions is how many troops are those figures standing in for? The range is pretty obviously compressed, but what about the troops? Is it 1-1, one stand/tank per platoon, to a company, etc?

It doesn't state, but I'd imagine there's some compression.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The main reason I ask is since if the scale is platoon then it looks like "deep battle" happened on a much smaller scale than I assumed. If each tank's a company then that's still shitloads of men and armour, which isn't so surprising.

Do you mind if I link it and ask the milhist thread?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Go ahead, I didn't write it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

I've been talking about it with a lot of people and we're all of the agreement that the only good starter is the US one. The German one is at least tolerable if you assume it's meant to be a CT Panther company, but you can't get CT Jagdpanthers.

Yeah, but if I'm going to be building a garbage Comet army anyway...

But in other news, I've just realised an upside to building Canadian and Hungarian infantry - I can probably use those miniatures (with the exception of stuff like Panzerfausts and other LW kit) as a nucleus for Mid-War armies too - specifically a Dieppe Rifle company and a Corps Bicycle Company.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Theres a pay what you want sale on a Five Men in Normandy/Fivecore bundle: http://fivemennormandy.blogspot.dk/2016/08/fivecore-retro-collection-available.html

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

First block of 8 French fusiliers more or less ready for basing, from the Perry plastic French Line Infantry box:

Main feature is the hand-drawn "N" with a crown on the ammo pouches. :3: Might take a second pass over the faces and hair, but these are line troops after all, and I need to paint a whole bunch of them ASAP.

The box is great in that there are few parts per miniature (most have just a separate backpack) which makes assemply a lot faster, and it will give me roughly 3 units of 8 line infantry, command, and 3 units of 6 voltigeurs or 2.5 units of 8 grenadiers. So I might up getting more troops so that I can field four full units of line infantry at the same time.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 26, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

VacuumJockey posted:

Theres a pay what you want sale on a Five Men in Normandy/Fivecore bundle: http://fivemennormandy.blogspot.dk/2016/08/fivecore-retro-collection-available.html

Well, I don't need it, nobody here plays historicals, I don't have any minis for it, so I only paid 3.50

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

First block of 8 French fusiliers more or less ready for basing, from the Perry plastic French Line Infantry box:

Very nice! The insignia detail on the ammo pouches is a fantastic touch.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ilor posted:

Very nice! The insignia detail on the ammo pouches is a fantastic touch.

Thanks! I'm getting some help with figuring out details from the scary Napoleonics community in town next over. They play General de Brigade in 28mm. Like, with tons and tons of miniatures:

Sharp Practice will do nicely for me to start with, 30-50 miniatures is much more realistic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

Sure you can, in Desperate Measures (Which is what the box comes bundled with). Still not a great list though (but at least it's better than Soviets! :suicide:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! I'm getting some help with figuring out details from the scary Napoleonics community in town next over. They play General de Brigade in 28mm. Like, with tons and tons of miniatures:

Sharp Practice will do nicely for me to start with, 30-50 miniatures is much more realistic.
Good criminy that's a lot of minis!

Yeah, I want to try Sharp Practice so very, very badly, but I refuse (REFUSE, I say!) to start buying into another historical miniatures game until I have at least one Axis and one Allied platoon done for CoC. REFUSE! I must stay strong. I must!

But you fuckers with your gorgeous minis and awesome tables aren't helping, nor is reading more about how SP2 works and digesting batreps and suspecting that it will be fun as hell to actually play. I suppose I could do what I'm doing for CoC and just proxy stuff until...

GODDAMMIT! NO. REFUSE, I SAY!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

So while waiting for Bolt Action 2nd Ed to come out on September 20th, I was considering picking up a cheap assortment of US troops from Dreamforge to play some battles using 1st Ed rules.

Are these models any good? Can a friend and I reasonably run a couple trial skirmish games while waiting on the full starter sets? I notice these sets don't come with any kind of heavy weapons or HQ, will that be a problem?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

So while waiting for Bolt Action 2nd Ed to come out on September 20th, I was considering picking up a cheap assortment of US troops from Dreamforge to play some battles using 1st Ed rules.

Are these models any good? Can a friend and I reasonably run a couple trial skirmish games while waiting on the full starter sets? I notice these sets don't come with any kind of heavy weapons or HQ, will that be a problem?

I'm not a big BA gamer, but when we started out with CoC, we did something similar. We played trial games with like half or three quarter strength platoons, just to get to grips with the rules. I think it is a great idea, as you can figure out the basic mechanics for movement and shooting and such, and then gradually tack on vehicles and heavy weapons and so on. That way you don't have to pause the game to read rules quite as much, as the learning curve is more even.

It's also a good way to get started with painting, as it is easier to paint a handful of guys at a time, than to sit with an entire army in front of you.

Wargames Factory (which are now Dreamforge, kind of), is a bit of a mixed bag. I bought the boxes from their samurai range, and the quality is a bit uneven from kit to kit. Some are decent, some honestly look a little bit bad in comparison to other ranges. However, they are cheap, around half the price of warlord games' plastic Americans! So if you are looking for a cheap way to pick up the bulk of a platoon, it's not a bad idea.

Just looking at the sprues, it seems that it doesn't come with a LMG, which would be the main thing missing from making a "proper" plutoon out of it. It does seem to have some kind of NCO in it.

E: When I started out with my Germans, I got a bunch of Warlord's older, quite bulky, plastic Germans. Later on I picked up their more recently released Germans, as well as Perry's Germans. Both of those look way better than the first ones I got, but once they are painted and placed on the tabletop, it's much harder to tell them apart. So don't worry too much about your first batch not being "perfect". :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 27, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sure you can, in Desperate Measures (Which is what the box comes bundled with). Still not a great list though (but at least it's better than Soviets! :suicide:

I had thought the trained list couldn't take JPs.

Checking, I'm as wrong as I can be: only the trained list can take JPs.

And yeah, the Stalin's Bears list is a joke. I pity whoever picks up that starter.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ExtraNoise posted:

I can only speak to the Soviets, and I will say that they are worlds better than the Warlord ones, at least in terms of accuracy. Like lilljonas said, WGF can be a mixed bag; I have some of their Vikings/Anglo-Saxons and they all have stupid giraffe necks, but the Sovs are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I picked up a box of Warlord Americans to turn into zombies for K47, and I definitely prefer the Dreamforge / WGF ones' aesthetic.

The Warlord ones have much more "heroic" proportions and look like miniatures, which is great if that's your thing. The WGF ones are closer to what you'd get in a 1/56 scale model.

I'll try to do a side-by-side photo later today.