Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
van badham is actually mentally ill, much like evil Elmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

she is evilelmo:
https://twitter.com/vanbadham/status/709701028996734976

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The plebiscite is dumb. But the problem is that it's also an issue that helps to deflect attention, and as a continuing thing, that's very useful for the Coalition. OTOH, the longer it goes on, the worse it will be when trying to negotiate on anything else in the Senate.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It's not just dumb. It's actively harmful. This isn't a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water when you didn't get exactly what you wanted, or of trying to strong arm Turnbull into a parliamentary vote because you block the plebiscite. The plebiscite will actively hurt a lot of people in this country and it should be opposed even if it means there isn't action on equal marriage in this term of parliament.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

KWEEN SLAY

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh for fucks sake knock this poo poo off. Stop equating "Has bad opinions and is a raging arsehole" with mental illness.

We mentally ill people have enough poo poo and stigma to deal with without being compared to Van Badham.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

We mentally ill people have enough poo poo and stigma to deal with without being compared to Van Badham.

took me a moment but :drat:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Pickled Tink posted:

Oh for fucks sake knock this poo poo off. Stop equating "Has bad opinions and is a raging arsehole" with mental illness.

If you stopped posting first dog i might have some sympathy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's not just dumb. It's actively harmful. This isn't a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water when you didn't get exactly what you wanted, or of trying to strong arm Turnbull into a parliamentary vote because you block the plebiscite. The plebiscite will actively hurt a lot of people in this country and it should be opposed even if it means there isn't action on equal marriage in this term of parliament.

Yeah but did they ask what straight white christian males thought before making the decision to block it??

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you stopped posting first dog i might have some sympathy

+1

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I assume this is misunderstood. Right?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
This may seem like concern trolling so I'll preface it by saying the plebiscite is bad and should be blocked

Is there any way "we would have let the AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE decide on gay marriage but bleeding heart lefties blocked it, so you have only yourselves to blame when we continue to marginalise gay people :smug:" will not become a talking point which the liberals will harp on for 10 years and van badham types will seize upon to attack anybody vaguely leftist who has the audacity to criticise the labor party?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This may seem like concern trolling so I'll preface it by saying the plebiscite is bad and should be blocked

Is there any way "we would have let the AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE decide on gay marriage but bleeding heart lefties blocked it, so you have only yourselves to blame when we continue to marginalise gay people :smug:" will not become a talking point which the liberals will harp on for 10 years and van badham types will seize upon to attack anybody vaguely leftist who has the audacity to criticise the labor party?

Nah, it's a pretty obvious line of attack if you can't feel empathy or think through the consequences of your actions.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

It doesn't have much in the way of legs though because literally the second that leaves your mouth Labor/Greens/an independant introduces a gay marriage bill into parliament and then they vote against it pretty much nullifying the point.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nah, it's a pretty obvious line of attack if you can't feel empathy or think through the consequences of your actions.

So, in short, we're doomed.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

It doesn't have much in the way of legs though because literally the second that leaves your mouth Labor/Greens/an independant introduces a gay marriage bill into parliament and then they vote against it pretty much nullifying the point.

That actually doesn't matter as long as their base believes it and gets reinforcement from most of the media in the country as it's already doing. We already know it's a bad faith act but like Whinnett says, Turnbull has no choice but to put it up, this is preparing the ground for the failure and a way to keep the issue going somehow.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

hooman posted:

"Why are you voting to deny gay people equal rights"
"I have nothing against homosexuals [even though I have repeatedly stated in the past they are moral degenerates], and i would have respected the will of the australian people if they had voted on it [even though i insinuated i would just vote according to the vote of my staunchly conservative electorate], but since the greens stopped the australian people from having a say I can only vote based on my own conscience :smug:"

thus not alienating their voter base but without saying overtly hateful things

I just don't see a good outcome here which doesn't confuse and poison the issue for years. Support for gay marriage is as close to an obvious no brainer issue as exists in modern western politics so injecting any confusion into the debate is only going to help its opponents. Not that I think holding a plebiscite would improve this.

ModernMajorGeneral fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 26, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ewe2 posted:

That actually doesn't matter as long as their base believes it and gets reinforcement from most of the media in the country as it's already doing. We already know it's a bad faith act but like Whinnett says, Turnbull has no choice but to put it up, this is preparing the ground for the failure and a way to keep the issue going somehow.

otoh basing your policy on what the support base of the liberal party likes is not grounds for success or good policy no matter how many young labor stooges scream otherwise

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

"Why are you voting to deny gay people equal rights"
"I have nothing against homosexuals [even though I have repeatedly stated in the past they are moral degenerates], and i would have respected the will of the australian people if they had voted on it [even though i insinuated i would just vote according to the vote of my staunchly conservative electorate], but since the greens stopped the australian people from having a say I can only vote based on my own conscience :smug:"

thus not alienating their voter base but without saying overtly hateful things

I just don't see a good outcome here which doesn't confuse and poison the issue for years.

The good outcome is not having a publicly funded organised campaign of homophobia like Ireland had to go through

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
https://twitter.com/vanbadham/status/530600668860407808

lol

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

ewe2 posted:

Lmao at the Hun today, Political Editor Ellen Whinnett desperately trying to have a bet each way, basically telling the ALP and the Greens that no plebiscite will be their fault because the law won't be changed but she thinks it should have been changed years ago but those ALP and Greens are SO POLITICALLY MOTIVATED and they should just go along with the Government because stuff. And Bill Shorten changed his mind, shock horror. It's the wackiest piece of self-justification I've ever read from her and that's saying something. It's also a shame she's going off to London because there'll be nothing relatively sane to balance out Tom Elliot.

The LNP just wants to shift the focus to budget repair, that's why they need to commission this $160,000,000 non-binding opinion poll.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Can you post these tweets for those of us banned by bad hamvan?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:vince:

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

iajanus posted:

Can you post these tweets for those of us banned by bad hamvan?

Done.

I'm somehow not blocked by her, but am blocked by Bernard Keane. Which sucks because I don't mind his opinion when he's not being a fuckwit.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So there's a rally against the refugee detention centres in Brisbane today at 11am, I'd like the event but Facebook has decided to poo poo itself.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
From the SMH today No One Cares about Me

quote:

At the crack of dawn on Tuesday, a tired and emotional Helen Ren - a 7-Eleven franchisee - will meet a group of executives from the convenience store group's head office to hand back the keys to her store.

By the time they arrive, she will have finished her last shift in a shop that she refers to - in a bitter-sweet sense - as her "second home".

Earlier this year, in the months after the country's biggest corporate wage fraud scandal was exposed in a joint media investigation by Fairfax Media and 4 Corners, 7-Eleven told Ren it would not be renewing her franchise agreement, due to expire in November but brought forward to end on August 30.

The building, owned by billionaire founder Russ Withers' private business RG Withers Holdings, is situated at the corner of Argo Street and Punt Road in Melbourne's inner-eastern suburb of South Yarra. It has been losing money for years despite Ren battling away, at times, for more than 70 hours a week.

Running a 7-Eleven has been fraught and head office has not always treated her well, she says. "The district managers treat you like a criminal. I worked hard, but no-one cares about me."

Still, it provided an income and allowed her to work for herself as she raised her child as a single mother with a heart condition. Handing back the keys will leave her with an outstanding debt on a store for which she paid $345,000 back in 2006. "I have lost my goodwill and I have a mortgage still," she says. Ren will get a tiny payout, mainly the value of the stock.

"It is very sad for me," Ren says. "I lost my business, my job, lost money, lost everything. "Now I will have to find a job to pay my debts."

A spokesman for 7-Eleven says the company has fully upheld its obligations to Ren, and said it was not reasonable to "hold 7-Eleven responsible for the freely made decisions of franchisees".

According to a 7-Eleven store database seen by Fairfax Media, Ren's store had ongoing payroll compliance issues, however, sources close to the company said she was far from being the worst offender.

So we start with a sob story about how a 7-11 Franchise is being kicked out by corporate, is not receiving the money she should and and is being made to feel like a criminal.

And then they say "Oh, she was cheating her staff out of their legally-allowed wages, but other people did it worse".

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 27, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'd like someone to suck my dick because I made the dumb choice to become a franchisee.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
There's an Iga 5m walk down commercial, a Coles express (or whatever petrol-shop hybrid) 2m walk away and closer to the corner, and a big Woolworths and Coles and the Prahran Market 10m walk up commercial, and she's on loving punt Rd. And she stooged her employees.

A Bloo Bloo bloo, I make poor decisions.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Starshark posted:

I'd like someone to suck my dick because I made the dumb choice to become a franchisee.

Yeah, but you can't tell me that the Franchisor, i.e. 7-Eleven Corporate, gave her all the facts and figures and said "Of course our franchisees legally pay their staff, we have no idea how they stay profitable on these figures!". The complicity would go all the way to the top.

Burn every 7-Eleven to the ground, salt the earth, burn the salt.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Yeah, but you can't tell me that the Franchisor, i.e. 7-Eleven Corporate, gave her all the facts and figures and said "Of course our franchisees legally pay their staff, we have no idea how they stay profitable on these figures!". The complicity would go all the way to the top.

I've only ever seen franchisees get hosed over by the head corporations. To me signing on as one at this point is like signing on to a pyramid scheme for brain water and then bitching later that you weren't given all the facts.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Melbourne's rally for refugees has updated the speakers list for the 1pm rally at the Vic state library:

Speakers include:

Adam Bandt Greens MP for Melbourne
Pamela Curr - Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
Jane Willey, ex-teacher on Nauru and author of some of the leaked Nauru files
Mohammad Salamat - Ahwazi refugee who spent time detained on Nauru in 2012
Aran Mylvaganam - Tamil refugee and union organiser

*Close the camps and bring the refugees here
*Permanent protection not Temporary visas
*End Islamophobic scapegoating
*Boat rescues not boat turnbacks

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Becoming a franchisee is essentially paying a lot of money to be a manager. You have little control over anything and about the only area you can save money is on wages so it either means stiffing people or working 100 hour weeks yourself.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

I thought "tired and emotional" was journalist-code for "drunk".

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Redcordial posted:

Melbourne's rally for refugees has updated the speakers list for the 1pm rally at the Vic state library:

Speakers include:

Adam Bandt Greens MP for Melbourne
Pamela Curr - Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
Jane Willey, ex-teacher on Nauru and author of some of the leaked Nauru files
Mohammad Salamat - Ahwazi refugee who spent time detained on Nauru in 2012
Aran Mylvaganam - Tamil refugee and union organiser

*Close the camps and bring the refugees here
*Permanent protection not Temporary visas
*End Islamophobic scapegoating
*Boat rescues not boat turnbacks

We had the whistleblower psychologist in Brisbane. I have some pictures I'll upload soon™

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Latest bit of doggerel from the government of delusion. "sensible centre" This is apparently what voting for a "budget repair" austerity regime is and is the LNP's position on the political spectrum. If the LNP is in the centre who exactly is to their right apart from literal Nazi's? :godwin:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Capt.Whorebags posted:

before burning every 7-eleven to the ground i suggest we loot them of their supplies of iced coffee and the slurpee machines then redistribute them to the deserving (me)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cartoon posted:

Latest bit of doggerel from the government of delusion. "sensible centre" This is apparently what voting for a "budget repair" austerity regime is and is the LNP's position on the political spectrum. If the LNP is in the centre who exactly is to their right apart from literal Nazi's? :godwin:

The irony being that the literal Nazis are actually to the left of them on a lot of issues and closer to any Australian center than the libs are. Just slightly more unhinged and worse at hiding their racism.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

otoh basing your policy on what the support base of the liberal party likes is not grounds for success or good policy no matter how many young labor stooges scream otherwise

Absolutely not. But it tells you so much about how the political class think and act. It's why the Senate result in the last election is such a disaster for the major parties, and if the trend continues in the Reps, we could see some actual representative democracy happen albeit via whackjob minor parties.

Digiwizzard posted:

The LNP just wants to shift the focus to budget repair, that's why they need to commission this $160,000,000 non-binding opinion poll.

That's very obvious. Unfortunately, Scott Morrison is Treasurer.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

One day when I'm no longer under an NDA and social media policy, I can talk about the figures I've seen for 7/11 franchisees. Suffice it to say, their labour costs are extremely interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Recoome posted:

We had the whistleblower psychologist in Brisbane. I have some pictures I'll upload soon™

Jane Willey was great, an ex teacher from Nauru, she shared some stories and described the brutality of our regime on the children.

The normalisation of worthlessness and hopelessness is loving horrible, and I wouldn't want that for criminals let alone children, women and men guilty of no crime.

I was with an MP from the Greens for the majority of the rally, and she had a cameraman filming her constantly for a couple of projects the Greens and other organisations are working on. I'll be able to show off my freakish self once these videos come to fruition.

E: During the speech from Jane Willey I couldn't help but tear up, and some photos were taken of me with tears streaming down my face. I'm gonna look so drat hot.

Redcordial fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 27, 2016

• Locked thread