Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are they going to make them run less goofy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probably not.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Seems weird they decided to make the orks all boyz instead of nobs.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Lassitude posted:

Seems weird they decided to make the orks all boyz instead of nobs.

The first head guy Miguel's plan was f2p would be just shoota boyz and slugga boyz, and paid players would be Nobz. Then I think the devs realized that while people would be willing to play as a separate but equal class, people would probably just quit the game if it was "play as a lovely guy". That guy promised a bunch of poo poo that they had to scale back because he didn't know how to promise only viable poo poo.

Nobz ARE going to be in the game as a deployable elite character. It's going to be tied to a burn card mechanic, here's how the dev I talked to in the semi-official (no owned by devs, but official enough that actual devs show up) explained it if I remember right :

Burn cards are a thing for deploying elite/hero units. You can bring I believe 3 into battle, and while you permanently own them, you can only use each once per battle if you pay the tokens (earned currency, not a buyable thing). I believe Nobz were one of the elites, with Ork Meganobz (terminators equivalents) being ones that will be added within 3 months of launch in a mini-expansion along with the other factions terminators.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The rogue trader Ork elites were a Skarboy Kommando, a Mega Nob and I think a Big Mek? So presumably when elites initially go in those will be the three.

Also now that I have a PC that can actually run this acceptably it feels way better, which is troubling, because it still has so many problems but I enjoy it. I am a broken thing.

Also Miguel now makes mobile games for a company I never heard of until I went looking for where he ended up, so take that as you will.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Oh right, they had that terrible idea where only one team would have F2P players on it. As if that wouldn't either be a huge balance issue if it were open world like they previously planned (I think) or lead to awful queues if it were a lobby game like now.

Have they talked about stuff like adding Imperial Guard as a faction eventually?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Their, and I imagine by extension, GWs contention is that IG just don't work at the scale they're looking for. The two other biggest factions people want are Tau and Necrons, and combined with the already in factions, both from a player scale perspective and an ability perspective, IG would be difficult to make fun while keeping team sizes even. They've said if it happens, it'll be a while into the games lifespan and it'll be as Titanfall style flavor NPCs that give a small amount of XP and die real good. If they manage to get the open territories stuff working they'll probably show up in there as PDF defenders of neutral capture points or as hapless idiots getting slaughtered eternally by tyranids.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Lassitude posted:

Oh right, they had that terrible idea where only one team would have F2P players on it. As if that wouldn't either be a huge balance issue if it were open world like they previously planned (I think) or lead to awful queues if it were a lobby game like now.

Well Orks like to beat on each other, so if they bring back Free to Waaagh as an actual F2P option instead of "play to lose but for free", they could always have ork vs ork warfare.

Orv posted:

Their, and I imagine by extension, GWs contention is that IG just don't work at the scale they're looking for. The two other biggest factions people want are Tau and Necrons, and combined with the already in factions, both from a player scale perspective and an ability perspective, IG would be difficult to make fun while keeping team sizes even. They've said if it happens, it'll be a while into the games lifespan and it'll be as Titanfall style flavor NPCs that give a small amount of XP and die real good. If they manage to get the open territories stuff working they'll probably show up in there as PDF defenders of neutral capture points or as hapless idiots getting slaughtered eternally by tyranids.

Lassitude posted:

Have they talked about stuff like adding Imperial Guard as a faction eventually?

I believe they said they'd probably merge imperial guard and imperium stuff along with sisters of battle for a forces of the imperium faction. They got some heavy fleshing out to do for the base four before they get to a fifth though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh yeah, they talked about that recently. An Imperium faction of Inquisiton and SoB foot soldiers with IG armor, since SoB and Inquisition can at least wear power armor. Dark Eldar would probably end up as an Eldar subfaction, along those lines as well.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emqu1a3QWlo

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/766666053975932928

Game is releasing on September 23rd for the PC only release - aka the "we need money but aren't confident enough that we can keep console players around yet" release.

No content freeze for polishing yet, in fact a patch is coming next week with an UE4 engine upgrade and we're still waiting on progression and cosmetics and weapon/armor customization, not to mention polish.

I mean they've been working pretty fast/decently, but they got 1 month for those features to be out and in a relatively bug-free/issue-free state.

Edit - Unless I misheard bigtime, Nathan (head guy) said 4.12 will be on either thursday the 25th or tuesday the 30th, along with iron warriors, space wolves, war tree with some war gear, and some addition tweaks/"refactoring" for the melee to make it better again. IF it releases on Tuesday (which sounds more likely according to one dev in the discord), it'll also get some more features that need a few extra days of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6L9LbX7KQM&t=659s

Here's a timestamp for it.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 19, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, that's a thing. We'll see how it goes I guess, I'm betting no-one is going home much for the next month.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Well, that's a thing. We'll see how it goes I guess, I'm betting no-one is going home much for the next month.

That's what they pay them the (not so) big bucks for.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Orv posted:

Oh yeah, they talked about that recently. An Imperium faction of Inquisiton and SoB foot soldiers with IG armor, since SoB and Inquisition can at least wear power armor. Dark Eldar would probably end up as an Eldar subfaction, along those lines as well.

Meh, if they have ork boyz balanced against space marines, they shouldn't have a problem including IG storm troopers/kasrkin. Boyz are just as much cannon fodder as IG dudes.

Or "Tempestus Scions", whatever they're called now.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 21, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
The screaming that would occur if a CSM/SM player died to a lasgun would eclipse the sun, so if for nothing else I'd like to see it happen.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Orv posted:

The screaming that would occur if a CSM/SM player died to a lasgun would eclipse the sun, so if for nothing else I'd like to see it happen.

Read this as someone who hasn't played this yet or watched much but figures it's warhammer 40k planetside:

Unfortunately for table top space wizard spergs, this is an FPS type game and the #1 priority is to be fun. In order to be fun you can't have crazy imbalances between the races/factions and therefore if they even implemented Imperial Guards as playable class they would have to have comparable damage to Space Marines/Chaos Space Marines or have some type of paper/rock/scissors approach(read: harder to balance).

Obviously they can do the ghetto approach and just cause Lasguns to shoot 3x faster than SM's at 1/3rd of the damage.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think their main concern is scale of both players and the fantasy of Warhammer, so regular human-rear end IG will probably never be foot soldier classes, since GW has a pretty tight leash on what goes into EC from what I can tell. The Boyz comparison would be a fair point but Boyz at least are mostly the size of a marine or eldar and I think that's their primary concern for the base classes. They're willing to handwave where necessary but probably not on the IG point. Who knows though, if this game survives a year and hits open territories that'll probably change nine times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Straight from unbalanced alpha tech demo to release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-pnY-pr9j4

I think we all saw this coming long ago.

Anyone got a list of missing features? gently caress it, not going to matter anyway.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Orv posted:

I think their main concern is scale of both players and the fantasy of Warhammer, so regular human-rear end IG will probably never be foot soldier classes, since GW has a pretty tight leash on what goes into EC from what I can tell. The Boyz comparison would be a fair point but Boyz at least are mostly the size of a marine or eldar and I think that's their primary concern for the base classes. They're willing to handwave where necessary but probably not on the IG point. Who knows though, if this game survives a year and hits open territories that'll probably change nine times.

IG troopers are the same size as Eldar troopers in the table top. Also as one said before just put the IG in Kasarkin armor, makes them a little more bulky. Would be cool to have Ogryns as the melee class as well.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Read this as someone who hasn't played this yet or watched much but figures it's warhammer 40k planetside:

Unfortunately for table top space wizard spergs, this is an FPS type game and the #1 priority is to be fun. In order to be fun you can't have crazy imbalances between the races/factions and therefore if they even implemented Imperial Guards as playable class they would have to have comparable damage to Space Marines/Chaos Space Marines or have some type of paper/rock/scissors approach(read: harder to balance).

Obviously they can do the ghetto approach and just cause Lasguns to shoot 3x faster than SM's at 1/3rd of the damage.

An IG storm trooper with carapace armor and a hellgun is stronger than an unarmored ork boy with a shoota. No reason for weird imbalances if they're already okay with making an ork boy equal to a space marine.

Crazy that they're releasing in a month, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

IG troopers are the same size as Eldar troopers in the table top. Also as one said before just put the IG in Kasarkin armor, makes them a little more bulky. Would be cool to have Ogryns as the melee class as well.

Hm, yeah no reason they couldn't then. I could have sworn aspects were at least as tall as marines but it's been a long time.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
So what's left for 1.0 after the next big patch? It has Space Wolves, Iron Warriors, War Tree (upgrades/traits/stuff), Melee polishing/fixes, and War Gear if it releases on Tuesday instead of Thursday.

Bugfixing and performance increases/optimizations are the big ones as well as balancing now that everyone has their tools, but there's some smaller ones like Ork shields and chaos undivided powers. Then there's stuff I'm not so clear on if they've been delayed for the Sept 23rd launch, like hero/elite units.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stuff that they're still saying is coming for launch: Visual customization, mods for every weapon but the SM bolter, two maps I think since they're shooting for 12, loot boxes, more PvE stuff.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Orv posted:

Hm, yeah no reason they couldn't then. I could have sworn aspects were at least as tall as marines but it's been a long time.

Their cone head helmets make them a little taller probably yes but they have pretty much the same general proportions everywhere else.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Those helmets would certainly put a lot of strain on eldar necks.. This is another case of Un-intelligent design.

:)

Orv
May 4, 2011

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Orv posted:

Stuff that they're still saying is coming for launch: Visual customization, mods for every weapon but the SM bolter, two maps I think since they're shooting for 12, loot boxes, more PvE stuff.

I'd settle for "multiplayer combat that isn't janky, floaty, and laggier than Battlefield 1942 on dial-up (okay, maybe not THAT bad)" before loot boxes and poo poo.

And also some decent animations for Orks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got an email from these people.

"To Launch (our fantasies) and Beyond!"

The fantasy of the originally promised product.

"The ultimate playground for your Warhammer 40,000(R) fantasies! That is our 10 year mission statement. "

Expect harder whale milking than you've ever seen if they expect this to last 10 years.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Was complete and total bullshit.

That said yeah, this game ain't gonna last ten years. They aren't Activision where they can afford to build a whole new game every two years.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
The "we got a year of major content update themed expansions planned for the next year" plan seemed reasonable, but 10 years seems like mega wishful thinking. 10 years of meaningful content updates is stuff only mega popular stuff like WoW/Dota (through dota 1 and 2)/TF2 (9 years with 2 years of mega half-assing)/Everquest have managed.

I'll start worrying more about the game we got once the content updates start slowing down since the last 6 months have been pretty good. If it starts going 2014 TF2 where the only updates are for localization strings and minor bug fixes right after launch I'll start getting pissed, but they've been pretty honest after they fired the old head guy promising the 2014 release/mmo/free to waaagh/other stuff.

If anyone reading this doesn't have the game, just keep an eye on youtube/twitch videos to see if the game is in a state you'd be okay with paying money.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

lovely Wizard posted:

The "we got a year of major content update themed expansions planned for the next year" plan seemed reasonable, but 10 years seems like mega wishful thinking. 10 years of meaningful content updates is stuff only mega popular stuff like WoW/Dota (through dota 1 and 2)/TF2 (9 years with 2 years of mega half-assing)/Everquest have managed.

I'll start worrying more about the game we got once the content updates start slowing down since the last 6 months have been pretty good. If it starts going 2014 TF2 where the only updates are for localization strings and minor bug fixes right after launch I'll start getting pissed, but they've been pretty honest after they fired the old head guy promising the 2014 release/mmo/free to waaagh/other stuff.

If anyone reading this doesn't have the game, just keep an eye on youtube/twitch videos to see if the game is in a state you'd be okay with paying money.

The problem with games like this aren't true representations of what you're getting unless you're watching raw footage. People are uploading their highlights on super high end rigs. As stated earlier in this thread, there are super cool moments, but 90% of the time you're chasing those moments which are few and far between due to bad players, bad performance, crashes, and poor gameplay mechanics.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DancingShade posted:

"The ultimate playground for your Warhammer 40,000(R) fantasies! That is our 10 year mission statement. "

Expect harder whale milking than you've ever seen if they expect this to last 10 years.

why did the gently caress did the email end with this?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SneakyFrog posted:

Gotta show that he's a grognard like all of you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Skoll posted:

Gotta show that he's a grognard like all of you.

:catbert: my fingers and knees arent blurred penismeister.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SneakyFrog posted:

:catbert: my fingers and knees arent blurred penismeister.

They are in the warp.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Skoll posted:

They are in the warp.

:commissar:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

SneakyFrog posted:

It's from his time at CCP where they made this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q

It's a techno viking spoof, dorky.

e: CCP makes these types of goofy music videos for fanfest, the picture is from around the 2 minute mark if anyone cares (you shouldn't).

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2016

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

SneakyFrog posted:

لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Haven't played this in a year... Still worse than Space Marine's multiplayer?

Orv
May 4, 2011
About the same at this point in terms of jank and every server seemingly being hosted in Eastern Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFEYx2pK2Vw

Even the guy who made the forum software is worried about the launch date being "too soon" and 25 minutes of non-popping queues.

RIP EC, died in the womb after a stomach punch by the super villain Captain Indifference.

• Locked thread