Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol dude you're the one who said WB "desperately need good writters and creators to help save their movies". Defending the talent of the people who are already involved isn't even loving saying BvS or SS is good, it's just literally saying "they have good writers and creators involved already".

I'm sorry you don't like the movies and rail against anything remotely positive said about them tho. That must feel lovely.

No, it feels good actually, but thank you for the concern.

No, seriously, these crappy DC movies do have some positive aspects. There is potential without a doubt. They have not been good yet, tough. Getting Margot Robbie to be Harley Quinn is a great move. I would love to see another movie with the same cast (including Leto!) but with better people behind the camera (and executives that know that they are doing instead of the behind the scenes chaos in Suicide Squad). And, well, at least the new batmobile is very nice, and I do approve of Affleck. Apparently Wonder Woman is being rumored to be good. I hope this time is true, because I would really like to enjoy a film based on some of my favorite characters. I get nothing if movies are bad.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You've unwittingly revealed that you evaluate movies by their 'Oscar levels'.

Well, the kid said that they had an Oscar guy, (or two?) so I guess that is what he meant. That having an Oscar guy means good so the DC movies are not bad. But I guess box office is what actually determines if a movie is good according to his edit. Who knows!

Anyway, it is fine to like bad movies, like the ones from Warners based on DC Comics. I do not feel the need to defend the honor of the Wachowskis version of Speed Racer on every thread or making up conspiracy theories to justify why it did not do well with critics, audiences or the box office when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what I really want is a Batman who brands human traffickers so they get murked up in prison.

haha, kidding of course. even the most desperate 1990s comic book hack writer wouldn't go that far.

Batman's ALWAYS been a loving dick.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Topolino posted:

Well, the kid said that they had an Oscar guy, (or two?) so I guess that is what he meant. That having an Oscar guy means good so the DC movies are not bad. But I guess box office is what actually determines if a movie is good according to his edit. Who knows!
Yeah what are they, idiots? Random Internet Guy has made his decision and his decision is Dan Harmon. Who cares how they justify the writers they chose.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Martman posted:

Yeah what are they, idiots? Random Internet Guy has made his decision and his decision is Dan Harmon. Who cares how they justify the writers they chose.

It would be nice if executives choose people who have done good stuff in the past, but who actually knows how Warners make their choices these days.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Topolino posted:

It would be nice if executives choose people who have done good stuff in the past, but who actually knows how Warners make their choices these days.

You've heard it here folks, Argo doesn't exist!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Equeen posted:

I like Affleck in general and as Batman, but he had no role in writing BvS.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
I'm pretty sure he did some on-set rewrites, and has already written the solo Batman movie.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Equeen posted:

Argo is a very nice movie. Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Sucide Squad I don't feel that way.

But hey, Warners did give the director and writter of Sucker Punch the keys to the DC comics kingdom. So who knows how they make ther decisions over there at Warners.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
David Ayer has made at least two excellent films.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Detective Dog Dick posted:

I tought Fury was fine, which unfortunately is the only one I have seen, and my expectations were perhaps a bit high because of that. Too bad the final Suicide Squad movie was a mess as a result of a lot of chaos behind the scenes, and who really knows at this point what his own version of the film without interference might have been.

Edit: I did not know the SWAT movie was his! So I guess I have seen two.

Topolino fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 26, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Equeen posted:

Argo sucks.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Topolino posted:

Argo is a very nice movie. Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Sucide Squad I don't feel that way.

But hey, Warners did give the director and writter of Sucker Punch the keys to the DC comics kingdom. So who knows how they make ther decisions over there at Warners.

Argo is a nice guy of a movie, is what you mean.

The other excellent Ayer film, aside from Fury, is End of Watch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This is wrong. Everyone look, this is what wrong is.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Unfortunately neither of those films were Suicide Squad.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
More Charlie Brown, You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown is right up there with Broadcast News, I reckon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8wxcjRA0mc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

This is wrong. Everyone look, this is what wrong is.

Affleck's made good movies - Gone Baby Gone is a masterpiece, and I'll even go to bat for Good Will Hunting, but Argo is a load. Even The Town, which is at best a b-tier heist movie, is better.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Argo's interpretation deviates significantly from the real life event it is based ("NOT MY ARGO!")

Seriously tough, I think is fine but I never felt it was a master piece. Not too dificult to imagine that not everyone likes it.

Edit: spelling.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How does this argument manage to get dumber by the page?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Most mass murderers throughout history have viewed their actions as acceptable.

If he'd not done it and just let the world blow up in nuclear fire, that wouldn't exactly have been better from a moral standpoint.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's why Batman is a failure if he would have killed Luthor to begin with none of the events would have happened it's why it's irrelevant that he kills or doesn't kill.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

If he'd not done it and just let the world blow up in nuclear fire, that wouldn't exactly have been better from a moral standpoint.
LORD OF BOOTY, I'm writing to you from an alternate future where Dr. Manhattan doesn't exist, and the Cold War didn't end when we were attacked by psychic aliens. The Cold War still ended, and it didn't involve aliens or nuclear war. It also didn't involve a man named Adrian Veidt making billions of dollars from shrewd investments in the aftermath of an alien attack.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Ken I am typically your enemy in this thread because I adore Batman v Superman but if you ever want someone to have your back when poo poo-talking Argo... I'm committed to the cause

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what I really want is a Batman who brands human traffickers so they get murked up in prison.

haha, kidding of course. even the most desperate 1990s comic book hack writer wouldn't go that far.

You're mixing up the content with form. You do not ever see anyone branded in the film.

All you see is a lowlife captured by police and then resigned to a pointless death. Batman is not even shown touching the guy - only appearing as a weird, silent blur.

'The Bat' is simply presented as a metaphorical evil spirit than has put a seal of approval on a real thing that people celebrate in reality. Note that Bruce Wayne himself justifies the torture aspect with the infamous 'smoking gun might be a mushroom cloud' argument. It's not entirely a lie. Wayne is presented as a separate and distinct character from Batman, a rich guy commenting on the prison abuse with a remote and detached indifference. Torture is something 'other people' do. Wayne's busy googling boats or whatever.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If Argo sucks, what is our opinion of Superargo?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superargo_Versus_Diabolicus

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

In it, he deploys a "nonlethal" technology to serve his own ends, and decides to deactivate it. The third film begins with him unwittingly funding a nuclear weapon. What has he learned by The Dark Knight Rises? How's this character better?

The two technologies have no relation other than being technology, they have completely different purposes within the story. The Cellphone thing is morally wrong when working as it is supposed to do (spying on everyone), hence why Batman deactivates it. The nuclear weapon was never intended to be a weapon, the fact that it could be used as such was an unintended consequence. The first is about Batman dancing near to the corruption that he has tried to destroy.The second is about Batman's fear and failure, the renewable energy thing is a good idea, but Bruce is so embittered by world that he does not trust it to be used by anything other than evil, it is symbolic of Batman himself, a positive force that inspired great evil in The Joker.

The character is not better at the start of The Dark Knight Rises, character development is not exclusive to positive change, only to change. Batman has changed for the worse. He is suffering from extreme feelings of anxiety and depression due to the events of The Dark Knight, and is overwhelmed by the weight of his failures.

Martman posted:

Yes, that is my point. I am saying that Batman's actions are contradictory. I guess it is "telling" to bold a sentence that gives an example of that point.

Sure there is. Batman's behavior in the movie is inconsistent and illogical. Shooting people from an airplane or crashing into people with a car doesn't make him uncomfortable because it's less personal and doesn't remind him of the murder of his parents (the vision that haunts him constantly and drives a lot of his actions in the movie).

You can say that's fan fiction, but anything you say as to Snyder's intent (sacrificing the "wide scope" for the moment) is also made up. I do understand that it can seem weird for Batman to continue being problematic after he's had his Martha moment. But he's spent 20 years becoming a violent monster; he's not gonna turn into Adam West in a moment. The warehouse scene is satisfying because he finally has a goal that's actually good instead of actually working towards evil ends. But he still really really likes beating up criminals.

Batman's goals are good way prior to him rescuing Martha, we are introduced to him in a scene where he's taking down sex traffickers, even if he's depicted texturally in that scene as monstrous and scary*. I think most people would consider sex trafficking pretty high if not highest on the list of pretty reprehensible crimes, the reason why Batman is introduced attacking them is that it instantly puts you on his side. Batman would have saved an old lady before his Martha moment.

*Which is excellent, probably one of the best Batman scenes ever put onto film, which is why BvS's badness is so frustrating for me, because when it's good it's sooooo good.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

He's doing all of that in order to find the Black Russian, in order to kill Superman. Unless I'm misremembering. Like, yes, he's still fighting people who are doing bad things, but he's consumed by an evil mission during all of it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Did you not notice that the sex trafficker's victims are so terrified of Batman they try to close the cage they're in? Like, that scene establishes a lot of things but 'Batman is a good guy because he fights crime' sure as poo poo isn't one of them

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

and I'll even go to bat for Good Will Hunting

Wasn't that Gus Van Sant?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

ungulateman posted:

Did you not notice that the sex trafficker's victims are so terrified of Batman they try to close the cage they're in? Like, that scene establishes a lot of things but 'Batman is a good guy because he fights crime' sure as poo poo isn't one of them

"He saved us" - line from the film said by those victims. Him being visually terrifying doesn't make him stopping sex traffickers bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Karloff posted:

"He saved us" - line from the film said by those victims. Him being visually terrifying doesn't make him stopping sex traffickers bad.

And then they recoil in fear from him and refuse to leave until they're sure he's gone. Batman is established as both good and monstrous to the point where no one wants to find out whatever his break point to turn on them is

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Affleck's made good movies - Gone Baby Gone is a masterpiece, and I'll even go to bat for Good Will Hunting, but Argo is a load. Even The Town, which is at best a b-tier heist movie, is better.

Alright, I'll let this slide since you gave high praise to Gone Baby Gone. I just assumed you thought all Affleck's directorial work blew. My bad.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Karloff posted:

Batman's goals are good way prior to him rescuing Martha, we are introduced to him in a scene where he's taking down sex traffickers, even if he's depicted texturally in that scene as monstrous and scary. I think most people would consider sex trafficking pretty high if not highest on the list of pretty reprehensible crimes, the reason why Batman is introduced attacking them is that it instantly puts you on his side. Batman would have saved an old lady before his Martha moment.

Karloff posted:

Your failing here is that you are instantly on the side of the guy torturing social pariahs for kicks, and not on the side of the actual victims - the women in the cage.

Branding the guy accomplished absolutely nothing, as even Alfred pointed out. Batman did it out of pure cruelty, and you are using the victims as a source of validation.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 26, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There are no victims in Batman's world.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Know what's super disappointing about Age of Ultron... besides everything? It messes around with Universal Monster imagery and discussion (Banner and Stark as Frankensteins, Cap and Vision as Frankenstein's Monsters, Banner as Wolf-Man, Ultron as the Mummy) and never really follows through with it. It was kind of an idea crammed in there without any solid throughline. The closest thing to a resolution is Stark deciding that being a mad scientist is fine.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Dr. Strange won't live up to the hype. Deadpool shall reign as best superhero movie of 2016.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

teagone posted:

Alright, I'll let this slide since you gave high praise to Gone Baby Gone. I just assumed you thought all Affleck's directorial work blew. My bad.

how gracious of you.

Timby posted:

Wasn't that Gus Van Sant?

he directed it, but Affleck co-wrote it so I figured it was relevant.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

as someone else pointed out, the Cold War really happened, we really were two minutes to midnight at one point, and the world did not really end in nuclear fire. Ozymandias needs to chill.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 26, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Martman posted:

He's doing all of that in order to find the Black Russian, in order to kill Superman.

It's not that hard Batman, it's just vodka and kahlua.

quote:

There's a reason angels tell every mortal they see to not be afraid.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Dr. Strange won't live up to the hype. Deadpool shall reign as best superhero movie of 2016.

Meh. It was pretty funny but the action was generic and the direction was okay I guess. I don't know why it's so praised. They could have done a lot more with his healing factor so it was disappointing all the action was just gun fu poo poo. I would rate both CW and BvS over it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a reason angels tell every mortal they see to not be afraid.

Well yeah, cause it's a drat burning wheel with ten thousand eyes or a stillboard foal dripping with ichor or something. They should pick better forms to reveal themselves with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not that hard Batman, it's just vodka and kahlua.
Haha wow, I guess it was called the White Portuguese. That's quite a leap.

• Locked thread