Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The only comic I like more than TDIET and The Outbursts of Everett True is the one that combines them:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Heathcliff

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zits

dordreff posted:

The eyes have pretty much always done that, yeah. IIRC there was never any real explanation for it other than "the artists like doing it" until the new movie Spider-Man appeared in Civil War.
I don't think there's any in-character explanation, it's just artistic licence to allow the character to emote through his mask.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
JESUS CHRIST Judge Parker is taking a dark turn. And I loving love it.

Savidudeosoo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 26, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Savidudeosoo posted:

JESUS CHRIST Jusge Parker is taking a dark turn. And I loving love it.

"Things just seem to work out."

Is this going to become a storyline where the new writer destroys everything the Spencer-Drivers and Parkers have, while we laugh and laugh? Oh, is it? Is it?

Or I guess she might just break a leg or lose her boyfriend and be humbled in that fashion.

Or, we'll be taunted with the continuing possibility of terrible things happening to the protagonists, but then instead they'll get money for no reason again.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

:allears: Oh yeah. This is gonna be good.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
No sense in waiting to post this...

Judge Parker

Rand Brittain posted:

"Things just seem to work out."

Is this going to become a storyline where the new writer destroys everything the Spencer-Drivers and Parkers have, while we laugh and laugh? Oh, is it? Is it?

Or I guess she might just break a leg or lose her boyfriend and be humbled in that fashion.

Or, we'll be taunted with the continuing possibility of terrible things happening to the protagonists, but then instead they'll get money for no reason again.

Well, they did spill the bottle of booze in the car crash. That alone is a panic situation for the Spencer-Drivers.

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

9 Chickweed Lane

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

lmaoooo

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
The art in JP is throwing me off. Why does it look like broad daylight in the first panel and night in the second?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (August 3, 1951)

Nancy (September 17, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (May 31, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (June 15, 1923)

Barney Google (June 16, 1922)

Alley Oop (September 15, 1933)

Lil' Abner (February 12, 1937)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Why is she getting ready in a backstage room?

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

So a few days ago we had that Luann where Shannon was mad that she had to go to some stupid wedding meeting instead of to the pool and it ends with her saying something like, "Why do I have to go to this dumb meeting" and Toni's like, "I'm asking myself the same thing." And clearly Toni was referring to why she has to take bratty Shannon to the meeting. But then the GoComics commenters all interpreted that as Toni referring to herself, since she never wanted a big wedding that needs lots of planning, and clearly that interpretation is idiotic.

Welp.

Luann

It's like they've tapped themselves directly into the Evanses brains or something.

I hate that they were right.

quote:

Toni, all your adult life you’ve been coerced by guys, first by Dirk and by Jonah, and now this. Is Mr. Groomzilla here really the sort of guy you want to spend the rest of your life with? It’s time to break from these control freaks. Dump him, and do it now.

quote:

Brad might mistakenly think that a fancy wedding would make Toni happy because he grew up around little girls’ fantasies. He might truly want a fancy one, but he might have instead just said that he wants that.

If that is the case then at the same time Toni might think that a fancy wedding is Brad’s own desire.

In such a situation, unless they communicate – and do that fast – they could wind up with neither happy with their wedding and reception because each wanted to please the other.

That might not be what is going on, but it is the sort of confusion people make who are in love and want to please each other. We have our own old stories about that and inam sure otgers here also do.

quote:

Awww. Why do weddings have to be so crazy? She does need to get him to pull over and listen to her desires. Don’t blow up, Toni. Just calmly tell him that if he doesn’t listen, she is going to go to Italy to look for her ancesters…or something equally scary to him.

quote:

Since Bread realizes that there’s nothing “girly” about Toni Daytona, all this wedding schmaltz is his own preference. Run, Toni, run.

quote:

Brad – “Blah Blah. Blah, Blah, Blah. Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, BLAH!”
Toni – “Brad, Darling, I’m Only going to SAY This ONCE: Shut the Heck Up!!!!”

quote:

“I’m Lost, I’ve Found”
“It’s A Bear, No Lyin’!”
“Like Aversion” (♬)
“A Dispenser, For Hire”
“…And Add Infinitum To That!”
“Pomp And Circumspect” (♬)
“Preparation Itch”
“It Don’t Matter To Me” (♬)
“A Sacri-fice….Eh, Toni?” (♪)
“…And No Gravy”
“I’m So Unexcited…And I Just Can’t Hide It” (♪)
“Et Tu, Cetera?”
“I Only Wanna Be With You” (♬)
“The Rain Is Plain, Mainly On The Strain”
or
“Unloading Zone”

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Dustin

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's a Bloom County double-decker!

Skippy (June 27-28, 1929)

Peanuts (August 29, 1969)

Tell-Don't-Show Playhouse (Otherwise Known As Funky Winkerbean)

See, we were too busy this summer following Boy Lisa's piracy fantasy and pizza drones to bother with things like developing a new plot.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (September 27-28, 1929)

Thimble Theater (March 15, 1930)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No new Buni yet.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

okay this is pretty funny, nice job jam esallen

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Are the Luann comments all from the same guy? With the dumb titles for strips and the awkward punctuation? They all seem to read the same.

Also did one of them seriously call Brad "Bread" as an insult? What the gently caress.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Tell-Don't-Show Playhouse (Otherwise Known As Funky Winkerbean)

See, we were too busy this summer following Boy Lisa's piracy fantasy and pizza drones to bother with things like developing a new plot.

Beep Beep incoming Concussions/Alzheimers storyline.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Green Intern posted:

Beep Beep incoming Concussions/Alzheimers storyline.

It's definitely going to be CTE and it's definitely going to be handled with all the grace and finesse of TomBat's usual approach to serious medical ailments. Although admittedly some sick part of me wants to see TomBat's spin on, say, Chris Benoit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm betting Alzheimers. The forgetting thing, stumbling around your thoughts and random flashes of anger thing is like someone reading the first few lines of symptoms on wikipedia, which is exactly the level of research I'd expect from that shitshow.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SomeMathGuy posted:

It's definitely going to be CTE and it's definitely going to be handled with all the grace and finesse of TomBat's usual approach to serious medical ailments. Although admittedly some sick part of me wants to see TomBat's spin on, say, Chris Benoit.

I was thinking about it being a brain tumor, stage 4. That would be about right for Cancer Cancerbean

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Whatever it is, I'm sure we can all agree it will be awful. Not pleasant for the characters either.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Uuuuuuuuuuughh. gently caress Scott Adams.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Good Listener posted:

Are the Luann comments all from the same guy? With the dumb titles for strips and the awkward punctuation? They all seem to read the same.

Also did one of them seriously call Brad "Bread" as an insult? What the gently caress.

The same guy whose name is absolutely, undoubtedly, not Greg Evans!*

*we see you Greg

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuughh. gently caress Scott Adams.

On top of all the other reasons this is dumb, usually you don't know who is peer reviewing your paper. If it's a small enough field you could might be able to guess based on the language in the feedback they give you, but for obvious reasons the editors don't give you names and contact info for the people critiquing your work.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If a guy is a flake about babysitting arrangements for his kid, his kid should be taken away and given to more responsible relatives. If couple has differing ideas of what sort of wedding they want, they should break up ASAP. What delightful interpersonal relationships these people must have.

Luann

Yes, Brad, pull over because you are speeding. This is the completely normal and sane solution people have to noticing that they are driving slightly faster than intended.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

Just watch out for that car full of squabbling teens.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Yes, Brad, pull over because you are speeding. This is the completely normal and sane solution people have to noticing that they are driving slightly faster than intended.
You got to average it out, you know.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My Lovely Horse posted:

You got to average it out, you know.

Only in britain where they employ average speed cams.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

If a guy is a flake about babysitting arrangements for his kid, his kid should be taken away and given to more responsible relatives. If couple has differing ideas of what sort of wedding they want, they should break up ASAP. What delightful interpersonal relationships these people must have.

Brad isn't even pushing any particular wedding setup, he's just excited about he wedding and has a lot of ideas he wants his fiancee's opinion on, to make sure they're both happy.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
There are a lot of dumb continuous jokes Sally Forth has gotten into, but I love everybody in the cast essentially having low level psychic abilities.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

His name is going to be Baskerville or something I bet.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

This probably looks great in print in the newspaper!

Simian_Prime posted:

The art in JP is throwing me off. Why does it look like broad daylight in the first panel and night in the second?
On the Medium Large blog, Ces said it was just a colorist error.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

I don't know why, but I really like that last panel.

Apartment 3-G

Tomorrow we'll have non-stop "Nah. I'll go tonight after all" action!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Very subtle social commentary there.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Johnny Walker posted:

Secret Agent X-9

I don't know why, but I really like that last panel.

It's just a real nice X-9 panel, made even better by its demonstration of the "Famous Box-in Method".

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Clearly the new writer is trying to break this cycle of Rex Morgan MD never doing any doctoring that we see. I would like to think that he didn't give any particular instruction for how Rex would look in the second panel and the artist was like, "If I know one thing about Rex Morgan, it's the face he makes at the prospect of actually doing his job."

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Julet Esqu posted:

Clearly the new writer is trying to break this cycle of Rex Morgan MD never doing any doctoring that we see. I would like to think that he didn't give any particular instruction for how Rex would look in the second panel and the artist was like, "If I know one thing about Rex Morgan, it's the face he makes at the prospect of actually doing his job."

Wait, if Rex Morgan isn't getting free poo poo anymore, and Judge Parker is going super dark... where can I get my fix of "Rick folk getting tons of money for free" comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CommaToes posted:

Wait, if Rex Morgan isn't getting free poo poo anymore, and Judge Parker is going super dark... where can I get my fix of "Rick folk getting tons of money for free" comics?

The Judge Parker cast is still getting tons of free stuff, it's just mostly misery.

• Locked thread