Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea you're going to want to have the CPU fans ramp up and be much higher as it hits 70C+ to keep things cool. If they are connected to the Motherboard, your bios should have Hardware Monitor settings to set the Fans to Performance or Manual over Auto/Standard/etc.

In the summer I set my H100 to max performance which means it gets progressively louder fan wise when the cpu does anything but sit idle. (4 fans total for push/pull) It keeps the temps down about 10C from Medium/Low modes which I feel more comfortable with in the Summer than seeing it hit 80C. Also since I recently added .05 to my Voltage Offset as I was getting a few hard locks playing NMS and Star Citizen's PUA which might not mean much being those two are both pretty much Alpha/Beta level, however I have also hit a crash in Overwatch when I let the game run without any V-Sync as well, so I figure my OC might not be 100% at 4.6 still. :/

Weird how I can sit at 100% CPU encoding all day, and even play a game while it does that pushing both the CPU+GPU, yet some games run without V-Sync (Or with FAST Sync on) will crash the system even though the CPU isn't anywhere near full tilt. :/ Must be the voltages in-between idle and max?

Also I wonder what the performance difference is between a 6850K/6900K at 4.0Ghz vs a 3930K/4930K at 4.6Ghz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
New Kaby Lake info: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-core-i7-7700k-and-more-kaby-lake-information.html

There's evidently an X-series Kaby Lake as well, but that'll still be 4C/8T. The knowledge that the 7700K will be 4.2Ghz stock and 4.5Ghz on Boost holds out hope that we might see a stock 5Ghz Boost Extreme Edition.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
4.5GHz boost clock would already make it the highest-clocked stock Intel processor if true :catstare: my prayers are with you on the existence of additional headroom for that big 112W package

Edit 112 not 110

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 23, 2016

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hm, hopefully they do a X-series 6/8 core eventually but I don't know if I could hold out for that :haw:

The 7700K would be pretty sweet. Are the Z270 boards supposed to launch at the same time or will they be before/after?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I thought the -E series was now -X? Your wish will be granted.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought the -E series was now -X? Your wish will be granted.

Definitely not. -E will remain big-socket workstation ala Skylake-S for the little sockets.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SuperDucky posted:

Definitely not. -E will remain big-socket workstation ala Skylake-S for the little sockets.

He's right, they renamed Skylake-E to Skylake-X.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

4.5GHz boost clock is impressive, but aren't all Kaby Lake processors going to be limited to 24 PCI-E lanes, or is that just on the lower power packages? (or outdated reporting)

Am I the only one sitting over here with a 2600k (~4.6Ghz, H80 cooler) wondering when I'm going to see something actually worth upgrading for? I built this machine in DEC 2011 for fucks sake.

Who / what can I blame for this?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I suppose that depends on what you mean by "worth upgrading for." True, there aren't the revolutionary jumps in processors that we saw back 5 or 10 years ago, but there has still been some decent improvement since Sandybridge. I ended up springing for a 5820k, and it's been a very nice upgrade for encoding and other super-CPU heavy tasks compared to my old 2500k, and pairing it with DDR4 helps many games out more than might be expected.

Small iterative improvements are the name of the game now, though, so I guess don't be upset that you don't have to replace your internals every other year these days.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

4.5GHz boost clock is impressive, but aren't all Kaby Lake processors going to be limited to 24 PCI-E lanes, or is that just on the lower power packages? (or outdated reporting)

Am I the only one sitting over here with a 2600k (~4.6Ghz, H80 cooler) wondering when I'm going to see something actually worth upgrading for? I built this machine in DEC 2011 for fucks sake.

physics being hard and amd sucking

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Paul MaudDib posted:

He's right, they renamed Skylake-E to Skylake-X.

I assumed the -X was going to be the new "extreme edition" enthusiast chip and that they'd keep a -E "workstation" chip that's pretty much the same thing except with ECC and brand it a Xeon. Guess not, but from reviewing my non-confidential sources, it looks like Kaby-E is still on the table? gently caress's sake, Intel.

These days I keep my head buried in -EP stuff as not to get confused.

No? But you'll have to step up to socket3647(?) for more than 24PCIe. Also, blame your fiscally prudent self, I built my 2500k machine in mid '11 and finally got bored this summer and went skylake.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 25, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I ask myself the same with my SandyBridge-E 3930K. BW-E Really offers diddly for an upgrade at the cost. I feel I am still 2 -E generations before I bite on another upgrade.

For a 2500/2700K Quad core, sure one of the newer -E series would be a upgrade for CPU task and the number of PCI-E Lanes you can get if you don't get the bottom -E Chip, but outside of that, those SB chips are still drat fine.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Intel for milking the market (good example: non-soldered heatspreaders), and AMD for providing hopeless competition.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It would be magical to have AMD finally, Finally! put out something competitive to bring back the Athlon / Pentium 4 wars again. God what I would give to get the jumps we saw from Pentium 4 to Core 2 then to the i series. Those were actual, meaningful jumps that made you Want to upgrade.

Hopefully, Zen can kick Intel in the nuts with a competitive chip at a price that makes Intel's BW-E series look like the joke that it is.

Though again this is all Hope and AMD can probably pull something cool out, but keeping that momentum rolling to actually keep Intel on the defensive for any length of time would require everything to be perfectly planned and executed for the next few years.

On the plus side though, with all the Layoffs at Intel and level of talent being forcedincentiveized to leave, it could be enough of a stir up to delay progress just enough to give AMD the time it needs....

But AMD being AMD, they have just as equal a chance to screw the launches up with lack of supply/performance/price and all the hopes to be dashed... So right now I don't know what to expect, just holding onto that little ray of hope by finding my own Zen. :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

I ask myself the same with my SandyBridge-E 3930K. BW-E Really offers diddly for an upgrade at the cost. I feel I am still 2 -E generations before I bite on another upgrade.

For a 2500/2700K Quad core, sure one of the newer -E series would be a upgrade for CPU task and the number of PCI-E Lanes you can get if you don't get the bottom -E Chip, but outside of that, those SB chips are still drat fine.

Meanwhile, I'm on a gently overclocked SB-E 3820 -- everything I touch seems to not like overclocking nearly as far as other people can push things -- and wondering if I should jump on 6700K, wait a bit and jump on 6850K, or wait longer and jump on 7700K.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

SuperDucky posted:

No? But you'll have to step up to socket3647(?) for more than 24PCIe. Also, blame your fiscally prudent self, I built my 2500k machine in mid '11 and finally got bored this summer and went skylake.

The several hundreds of dollars I would spend buying a new processor, motherboard, and ram, would come nowhere close to justifying the extra 1-2000 points on 3DSMark etc when I'm already chillin at 14k. (and more importantly, enjoying games in 1440p)

Isn't socket3647 intended for their server garbage?

HalloKitty posted:

Intel for milking the market (good example: non-soldered heatspreaders), and AMD for providing hopeless competition.

IIRC if you clock the 2600k high enough (4.8+) it's still nearly 1:1 with nearly all of Intel's more recent offerings in single thread perf (only their most recent poo poo even begins to pull away). Sure, they're more power efficient, but I really don't care about that

Sincerely hoping AMD really pulls through with Zen. We need another serious slugfest.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You're right about single thread performance, but more and more games (let alone everything else) are seriously jumping on the multi-thread bandwagon, so that's not nearly the limitation that it was 4 or 5 years ago.

Would absolutely love to see Zen be A Thing, but...well, AMD.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
How many can really hit 4.8+ stable though? I'm sure some can but not nearly all of them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DrDork posted:

You're right about single thread performance, but more and more games (let alone everything else) are seriously jumping on the multi-thread bandwagon, so that's not nearly the limitation that it was 4 or 5 years ago.

Would absolutely love to see Zen be A Thing, but...well, AMD.

Ironically, AMD is to thank for the move to heavy multicore games, because of how 8 core AMD x86-64 CPUs are in the two current generation consoles (wii u is a late last gen console).

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

NihilismNow posted:

How many can really hit 4.8+ stable though? I'm sure some can but not nearly all of them.

I've been told that I lucked out and got an extremely good bin, because I've been at 4.8 since I built this thing. Stress tested and everything! For some reason, Fallout 4 was hilariously unstable and I had to bump down to 4.6 (and even then that was the only time I've ever hit >75C), only "issue" I ever had. Here's an old Geekbench 2 result @ 5ghz I did to show that I could still out-singlethread Pagancow's ridiculously OP video encoding rig

Could also be people attempting to do this w/ air coolers, bargain mobos, not disabling some/all of the power stepping options (seems to be a major culprit?).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The several hundreds of dollars I would spend buying a new processor, motherboard, and ram, would come nowhere close to justifying the extra 1-2000 points on 3DSMark etc when I'm already chillin at 14k. (and more importantly, enjoying games in 1440p)

Isn't socket3647 intended for their server garbage?

IIRC if you clock the 2600k high enough (4.8+) it's still nearly 1:1 with nearly all of Intel's more recent offerings in single thread perf (only their most recent poo poo even begins to pull away). Sure, they're more power efficient, but I really don't care about that

Sincerely hoping AMD really pulls through with Zen. We need another serious slugfest.

Intel appears to be moving to Socket 3647 for both Skylake-E as well as the Xeon Phi. The parts will not be electrically compatible, but they will use the same socket to simplify things for the OEMs.

Skylake is roughly 25% faster than Sandy Bridge cycle-for-cycle (usually within 20-30% depending on the task). It's not earthshattering, but there are some incremental performance improvements.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Meanwhile, I'm on a gently overclocked SB-E 3820 -- everything I touch seems to not like overclocking nearly as far as other people can push things -- and wondering if I should jump on 6700K, wait a bit and jump on 6850K, or wait longer and jump on 7700K.

Well the 3820 takes some finesse as it isn't a K series so OC'ing it is a whole different bag.

You could always swap it out for a [uel=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Xeon+E5+1650+v2&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H1.X3930K.TRS0&_nkw=3930K&_sacat=0]3930K or 1650 Xeon [/url] which is unlocked allowing you to OC to 4.4~4.8ghz with the right cooling and board.

Though if done right, the 3820 was able to OC to the mid 4's easy as well. What MB are you using and what have you tried?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

DrDork posted:

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "worth upgrading for." True, there aren't the revolutionary jumps in processors that we saw back 5 or 10 years ago
10 years ago everyone was whining that single core perf wasn't making the revolutionary jumps from 5 to 10 years prior because chips were doubling up on cores.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

The only actual appealing feature on the more recent processors is the better QuickSync video encoding (for streaming :rolleyes:).

I'm still not actually sure what happened there, because for a long time 1st gen Quick Sync was "not supported" by Intel on Windows 10, and I had to cobble together like 3 different driver packages to get it to work correctly, but after this Anniversary edition or whatever, it "just works" which is confusing as hell to me. Gonna go ahead and assume the ubiquity of streaming forced their hand on that one.

I don't really see this being much of an incremental improvement :smug:

Keep in mind it's reporting both my processor (4.8) and gpu speeds (1080) incorrectly

(I just picked the highest 6700k/Fury result)

It just seems like things move so slowly now I'm more likely to drop a grand on just a graphics card.

I'm totally aware this is just benchmark cockwaving and I'm not trying to start any slapfights I just find this all very amusing. I feel like I've won some sort of lottery by building a gaming computer at the "perfect" time. Growing up the hardware generations iterated so much more quickly.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
there are improvements, you just dont like them. i guess the blame is yours.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well the 3820 takes some finesse as it isn't a K series so OC'ing it is a whole different bag.

You could always swap it out for a 3930K or 1650 Xeon which is unlocked allowing you to OC to 4.4~4.8ghz with the right cooling and board.

Though if done right, the 3820 was able to OC to the mid 4's easy as well. What MB are you using and what have you tried?

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 rev1.0. I can do 4.0 GHz stable with just the multiplier. I followed a BCLK strap OC guide for getting up to 4.625 GHz but it wouldn't POST. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On the CPU itself it would be power savings, new memory support, and new native support for things like USB 3.X, Thunderbolt, PCI-E SDD's etc. But some of that can be fixed with a PCI-E Card, and well, the memory support (DDR4) and Power Savings, cannot, but may not totally be needed/worth the cost depending on usage.

Today though we are starting to see more multi-threaded apps which finally makes use of all the added cores past 2-4 so its not bad, but single core performance hasn't made the jumps we saw 5-10 years ago for sure.

Zen will be the first major single threaded jump in years (if it actually does perform).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 rev1.0. I can do 4.0 GHz stable with just the multiplier. I followed a BCLK strap OC guide for getting up to 4.625 GHz but it wouldn't POST. :(

There are probably other things you have to tone down to get it to post that high besides just voltage and whatnot. But I would have to see the BIOS screens you have and figure out what does what vs my ASUS bios I have been messing with for years.

Can you push it to 4.625 and then reduce the multiplier to bring it down to 4.4 or so just to get things rolling?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The only actual appealing feature on the more recent processors is the better QuickSync video encoding (for streaming :rolleyes:).

I'm still not actually sure what happened there, because for a long time 1st gen Quick Sync was "not supported" by Intel on Windows 10, and I had to cobble together like 3 different driver packages to get it to work correctly, but after this Anniversary edition or whatever, it "just works" which is confusing as hell to me. Gonna go ahead and assume the ubiquity of streaming forced their hand on that one.

Keep in mind it's reporting both my processor (4.8) and gpu speeds (1080) incorrectly

It just seems like things move so slowly now I'm more likely to drop a grand on just a graphics card.

I'm totally aware this is just benchmark cockwaving and I'm not trying to start any slapfights I just find this all very amusing. I feel like I've won some sort of lottery by building a gaming computer at the "perfect" time. Growing up the hardware generations iterated so much more quickly.

I am in a similar boat.

You can see where the CPU Cores come in mostly in the Physics test where the number of cores help crunch that math and somewhat scales accordingly. I feel being down by 4 she still holds up rather well.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

I'm sitting on a 2500k.

I'm hoping that they'll decide Cannonlake will have PCIe 4.0, and that motherboard makers will start adopting 1/2.5/5/10 Gbps ethernet as standard around the same time. Hopefully they'll also decide to start moving the standard desktop core count up from 4 around then, too.

With a little luck (like Cannonlake being PCIe 4 and not delayed. That's wishful thinking at the moment, not announced afaik), we might even see this 1.5-2 years from now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

There are probably other things you have to tone down to get it to post that high besides just voltage and whatnot. But I would have to see the BIOS screens you have and figure out what does what vs my ASUS bios I have been messing with for years.

Can you push it to 4.625 and then reduce the multiplier to bring it down to 4.4 or so just to get things rolling?

This is exactly the board and BIOS I have, and the guide I followed to no avail. Maybe it needs more volts... :science:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FireStrike is a pretty terrible benchmark to use to talk about CPUs, though, since the actual CPU tests are almost completely irrelevant to the final score for whatever reason. The 2(5|6)00k is still more than enough for most games at 1080p, but a growing segment of them (*ahem Fallout 4 ahem*) really do benefit from some of the newer, beefier CPUs, especially as resolution increases.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

JawnV6 posted:

10 years ago everyone was whining that single core perf wasn't making the revolutionary jumps from 5 to 10 years prior because chips were doubling up on cores.

It's a fair complaint though. Consumer chips have ceased to progress in either IPC or core count. 25% total performance improvement (both IPC/cores) in their consumer lineup over 5 years is pretty pitiful.

10-core Xeons have been standard for a long time now and nowadays you can get up to 22 cores, while the consumer lineup maxes out at 4 cores and even the enthusiast platform maxed out at 8 cores until they finally just released a 10-core version. Frankly there should be hexacores in the LGA1151 lineup by now.

Another thing is that Intel has been downright stingy with the PCIe lanes and it's starting to have an impact. The new NVIDIA cards are actually bottlenecked by running at 3.0x8 speeds and the only chips that Intel sells that are capable of doing x16x16 SLI start at $600 and are on an aging platform and process.

crazypenguin posted:

I'm hoping that they'll decide Cannonlake will have PCIe 4.0, and that motherboard makers will start adopting 1/2.5/5/10 Gbps ethernet as standard around the same time. Hopefully they'll also decide to start moving the standard desktop core count up from 4 around then, too.

Actually they're sort of doing the opposite by moving 4-core chips onto the enthusiast platform (and likely cranking the prices on the -X chips).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 26, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jeez well getting 4.6 at <1.3 vCore is impressive if possible, but i'd say shove 1.4V into it and see if it boots, then go down from there.

My 6 core was mostly stable at 4.4Ghz at 1.35~ish vCore with Offset voltages (also light touches on the LLC and such as that can shove another .2v if you don't watch it.) but at 4.6ghz I have added another .05 to the offset to keep it from having weird crashes under comples loads (it can benchmark at 100% all day, but the 50% loads on CPU with maxed GPU pushes in games like NMS or SC PTU caused hard locks.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

DrDork posted:

(*ahem Fallout 4 ahem*)

Gamebryo is a garbage fire though, and it is the only thing I've ever had stability issues with (not performance)

Perf wise, I've been gaming at 1440p on everything without issue. I don't expect that to last for long now that we're finally on to 8GB+ of VRAM

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Perf wise, I've been gaming at 1440p on everything without issue. I don't expect that to last for long now that we're finally on to 8GB+ of VRAM

That's the biggest problem with the Fury IMO. It's got decent 1440p-tier muscle but 4 GB is going to be 1080p territory before too long. Even the 1060 has 6 GB as the standard model.

The 980 Ti's 6 GB of VRAM is the smallest amount that's really reasonable for 1440p+ nowadays and the 8 GB on the 1070/1080 is going to be a lot more comfortable. Frankly I don't think the 12 GB on the Titan XP is really that much overkill nowadays either. I expected 16 GB.

Gamebyro is terrible and also has really weird memory scaling going on. Going to DDR4-3000 or -3200 memory produces a substantial increase in performance. Unlike Valve, Bethesda does't seem to have the in-house expertise to keep their jenga tower from toppling over.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 25, 2016

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Gamebryo is a garbage fire though, and it is the only thing I've ever had stability issues with (not performance)
No argument there, Bethesda games have been known for years for their, uh, "quirks." My point merely was that there are AAA games that actually benefit from moving off of a venerable 2500k, despite what 3DMark dickwaving will say to the contrary. (admittedly, if I had only $600 to spend on an upgrade, I'd be far better served with a new 1080 than a new CPU/mobo/RAM when it comes to gaming)

Yeah, a 2500k still does pretty well for 1440p@60, but it's starting to show its age as we continue to push resolutions and refresh rates higher and higher. I am kinda curious as to how much longer you could eek out respectable performance if you could slap a 2500k onto a DDR4 platform, though. I probably wouldn't have upgraded off my 2500k, either, had my mobo not literally gone up in smoke--I wasn't about to pay $150 for a 4 year old motherboard replacement.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My 2500k was relegated to office duty after upgrading to a 6600k two months ago for vive. I guess the 2500k system preferred gaming, as the board just died. RIP z77e-itx.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a fair complaint though. Consumer chips have ceased to progress in either IPC or core count. 25% total performance improvement (both IPC/cores) in their consumer lineup over 5 years is pretty pitiful.

10-core Xeons have been standard for a long time now and nowadays you can get up to 22 cores, while the consumer lineup maxes out at 4 cores and even the enthusiast platform maxed out at 8 cores until they finally just released a 10-core version.

Exactly what regular consumer software do you think can make use of 22 cores? Using 4 is a bit of a struggle for most things. Cores aren't magic, having more of them is only useful if you have parallelisable work and that's just not true of the average word processor or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmegin posted:

Exactly what regular consumer software do you think can make use of 22 cores? Using 4 is a bit of a struggle for most things. Cores aren't magic, having more of them is only useful if you have parallelisable work and that's just not true of the average word processor or whatever.

It isn't about the multithreaded capabilities of any single piece of software.