Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm watching all of DS9 for the first time and that season 5 finale.... holy poo poo I've got tingles.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bedshaped posted:

I'm watching all of DS9 for the first time and that season 5 finale.... holy poo poo I've got tingles.

Now wait 3 months and watch the first episode of season 6.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have ruined our summer!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I need to get on with my first time run through of DS9. Let's see what's up next... Return to Grace?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The_Doctor posted:

I need to get on with my first time run through of DS9. Let's see what's up next... Return to Grace?

That's a good one! And you get some follow-up in the S5 premiere too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
We wanted some white noise last night so I went through my old episodes of TNG and started up Parallels. Between that awesomeness and season 5's Power Play we're thinking about doing a rewatch since the last one we did was 2011.

I might have to get a Blu-Ray player to watch the remastered ones since it looks like the set is under $100 now.

I probably missed the discussion pages back but I saw in the last few weeks articles that the 2017 Trek is going to be some other old timeline? I'm a little surprised it isn't going to take place after Voyager but with the movies maybe I shouldn't. What do you guys think?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you have Netflix or Amazon? TNG is on those.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, the version of TNG they have on Netflix now is the Blu-ray remaster. All but like, two or three episodes, for whatever reason.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I've been watching the remastered original series in its entirety for the first time and at this point I think I'd rather just watch the original effects since a lot of the remastered effects look dated and out of place.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I seriously think there are bad Trek video games that look better in action than the redone effects.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There was no need to turn some of the physical effects shots into CG.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just got TOS on blu-ray and haven't even bothered with the remastered ones. I love the old effects, even with their limits.

Also, starting the show with "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" was a really weird decision.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are in order of airdate, not production date.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I could sort of tolerate them until I got to the satellite launch in "Operation -- Annihilate!" that looks like a bad fan film and now I can't stop noticing how bad they are.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rewatching Beyond two more things I like about Jaylah:

She doesn't have a dumb tacked-on romance plot with Kirk or Scotty.
The villains henchman who she fights isn't a woman just so she'll have another woman to fight.

I feel like as little as ten years ago they would have done this tiresome poo poo.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

They are in order of airdate, not production date.

Oh yeah, I just think it's weird they thought those two were the best ones to air first. They're not that great, and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Otisburg posted:

Rewatching Beyond two more things I like about Jaylah:

She doesn't have a dumb tacked-on romance plot with Kirk or Scotty.
The villains henchman who she fights isn't a woman just so she'll have another woman to fight.

I feel like as little as ten years ago they would have done this tiresome poo poo.

Yeah but Wil Wheaton is mad because Kirk saves her at some point. He didn't like the movie but liked Into Darkness but he's also a dumb nerd so whatever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wheaton's character on Syfy's Dark Matter is an insufferable neckbeard space scientist, so that's not even acting for him at this point.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I remember watching Dark Matter last year as its in my Netflix history but I'll be damned if I can recall anything interesting about it. What a pointlessly dull show.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

So today is my birthday, and as my wife pointed out, I am now in Section 31 whether I want to be or not.

:argh:SLOAN!!!!!:argh:

I'm stealing this in 10 months time.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Evek posted:

I remember watching Dark Matter last year as its in my Netflix history but I'll be damned if I can recall anything interesting about it. What a pointlessly dull show.

It's a little better this season but yeah... yeah.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not super excited by Dark Matter but it's something to watch while I eat dinner and sometimes something interesting happens.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dark Matter is like Papa John's pizza. It's not the best pizza, or even unique, but if I'm stoned and craving pizza, it's got everything I'm looking for at the moment.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I enjoy Dark Matter, but Killjoys is the superior show on that two hour Friday night block.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm stealing this in 10 months time.

I turned 30 today, and am stealing it in a year, too. That's a great Star Trek joke.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My friend's Star Trek joke from the TTG Kobayashi Maru scenario was a good Star Trek joke, too, but pearls before deluvian mud-swine. :smith:

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Otisburg posted:

My friend's Star Trek joke from the TTG Kobayashi Maru scenario was a good Star Trek joke, too, but pearls before deluvian mud-swine. :smith:

I'm reading Spock's World as part of my delve into the bargain bin Star Trek books at my local used bookstore. A major part of the plot so far is centered around how the Enterprise has a BBS - like, not a Space Ship Forum but literally a BBS that they call a BBS and has posts like Usenet. It's hilariously nineties.

Also Diane Duane loves to spend pages and pages describing background poo poo. Four pages on exactly how the a starship is reprovisioned after returning to Earth. Three pages on how important parties are to starship operations. At least three pages on how Irish Ireland is and then another whole bit on how much Kirk loves Ireland. Literally an entire chapter describing how the planet Vulcan was formed mixed with pseudophilosophical ramblings about the nature of time and space. Half of the crewmembers on the Enterprise are aliens - like, alien aliens, not humans with funny masks. I guess they were all hiding during the TV show.

The plot is "Vulcan doesn't want to be part of the Federation any more because...reasons."

So far it is not the best book.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I turned 30 today, and am stealing it in a year, too. That's a great Star Trek joke.

Yaaaay I (with my wife's help) made a nerdy joke that's good.

Sadly you are two days to young to be a fellow operative...but the Big Aristotle I am sure will be called upon :ninja:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Oh good. Now I have confirmation that I didn't imagine that or have a fever dream. He's still the best character on ENT, creepy smile or no.

Speaking of which, I just watched the episode where Trip gets knocked up by an alien and starts growing nipples on his forearms.

Phlox, on said arm nipples: "You're going to need those nipples soon!" *smiles beamingly*

Yeah, that's the stuff. i.e., the Farscape stuff. More weird sci fi with a sense of humor about itself, please!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah but OTOH it's not exactly funny that one of the main characters got raped and is victim-blamed for it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I love Dr. Phlox.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My birthday was on Thursday, but that meant I left Section 31 for good.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah but OTOH it's not exactly funny that one of the main characters got raped and is victim-blamed for it.

I honestly didn't think of it as a rape, but you are right. Now that I think about it (even a little bit), the woman was a super creep about it. "It's a game we play." Sure, lady. Sure. If she had posed it as a sexual encounter and not a literal game, then it would have been alright.

Although Archer and Phlox and T'Pol didn't blame him once they heard the explanation. They just made fun of him. Sooooo

Welp.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Augh. I'm reminded of why I can never seem to get into ENT.

Let's barf noticeably early 2000s CGI all over the best character's face so he can do a Cheshire Cat smile!

Let's impregnate a male character against his will and have everyone call him a big baby over it!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Apollodorus posted:

People have been making fun of Avengers 200# for years!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gau posted:

The plot is "Vulcan doesn't want to be part of the Federation any more because...reasons."

Vexit

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Let's barf noticeably early 2000s CGI all over the best character's face so he can do a Cheshire Cat smile!

Let's impregnate a male character against his will and have everyone call him a big baby over it!

It was really weird how Trip was handling it, too. It was like there were two separate episodes going on: one where Trip was legitimately horrified (not as the fact that he was raped, but at the prospect of having to raise a baby), and one where something less horrible but embarrassing happened to him and everyone was making fun of him for it. I think the former is why the crime didn't register to me in the minutes between the episode and my first post about it. Even Trip doesn't act like it was a rape, so between that and the Klingon poo poo at the end of the episode, it kind of got past me. He's grossed out at growing arm-nips and annoyed at the prospect of being stuck with a baby, but having his mind invaded and all this body horror is a-ok! :thumbsup:

Farscape would at least have the decency to A) not have it be a literal rape, and B) find a way to have fun with a weird situation and still have the human character lose his mind over it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

McNally posted:

My birthday was on Thursday, but that meant I left Section 31 for good.

I started in Section 33 last month. All sorts of cool laser weapons and genetically modified plagues and whatnot. Corrupt Admirals everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kazinsal posted:

Dude, did you watch the first four episodes of TNG?