Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Morning guys, welcome to the 'FACKING, FACKING RAIKKONEN, WHADDA FACKEN IDIOT. ' race weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Anyone want to chip in?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buttsy-Butler-Goon-Squad-F1-Show-Car-/131899644140?hash=item1eb5d4d8ec:g:XI4AAOSwt7ZXpJ7J

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
So far in FP1 : Poois is changing poo poo and will get a penalty. Max Verstappen's sister also looks like a toad.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

HJB posted:

As long as he contracts some sort of medieval disease as a result I'm all for it

This was in response to the Colgate Bogan drinking from his shoe in Germany

Trench Lung is now my favourite fictional ailment

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

simplefish posted:

This was in response to the Colgate Bogan drinking from his shoe in Germany

Trench Lung is now my favourite fictional ailment

That would also be a great forums name.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Halo14 posted:

Belgian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton confirms Spa grid penalty

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37188288

If Nico wins the WDC simply because Their Loois keeps getting grid penalties and can't rack up enough points, I legit might hang myself. The flip side is it could make the back half of this season extremely interesting.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hobbo just said "In the old days when men were men" talking about the shameful asphalt runoff that just prevented Grosjean from having any real consequences due to blowing a corner

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If there isnt a wall instead of a white line, it should be a gravel trap :colbert:

Hobbs for president.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

gret posted:

Um excuse me her birthing hips rock.

With hips like that kids would be popping out like a water slide

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What the...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So loving glad we have a race this weekend

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

iospace posted:

Crossing from Indy, expect the halo arguments to fire up again:

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/767770321164185600

Helio walked away, but let the fun begin again.

I can't believe that this is a pit lane in 2016. Seems more 1976, and even then...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

simplefish posted:

I can't believe that this is a pit lane in 2016. Seems more 1976, and even then...

Indy has had some bumper car problems in the pits this year. The Indy 500 had a big problem, then Aleshin loses in the most Russian Dash Cam way in Mid-Ohio. US pit lanes are much more compact than F1, and usually everyone pits around the same time leading to a bit more chaos than F1 pits.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

simplefish posted:

Do they still use watering cans to refuel or have they upgraded to hosepipes now?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

simplefish posted:

Indycar's pits have historically been a loving gongshow.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brainwrong posted:

Do they still use watering cans to refuel or have they upgraded to hosepipes now?

NASCAR still uses the cans. Indy uses hoses.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Indycar/CART have used fuel rigs since at least the 80s.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Brainwrong posted:

Probably super soakers

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

djssniper posted:

Probably super soakers

they shoot a jet of water at the car after the refueling rig disconnects in order to dilute any spillage, so yeah, kind of

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

djssniper posted:

Probably super soakers

If they aren't the back pack super soakers, gtfo

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
So i want to understand the HAM situation:

Hamilton arrived on his last set of engine components this weekend, and since spa and monza are back to back was likely to suffer an engine failure, so this weekend he arrived with a swapped engine (10 place grid penalty) and is now swapping that new one out for a second new engine (Now at back of the grid)

Whats to stop him from changing the engine completely in each practice session and before Q1, and just starting at the back of the grid but with 4 additional engines? If i was a backmarker team i'd throw away 2-3 rounds each season doing nothing but getting new engines and running in full-power qualifying mode constantly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Whats to stop him from changing the engine completely in each practice session and before Q1, and just starting at the back of the grid but with 4 additional engines? If i was a backmarker team i'd throw away 2-3 rounds each season doing nothing but getting new engines and running in full-power qualifying mode constantly.

Time constraint and resources. Mercedes as a brand has not been particularly renowned for their reliability in the past and I'm pretty sure even if swapping out the engine from Q3 and qualifying was feasible the idea of taking on an absurd number of engines would be axed to avoid "Mercedes F1 team in massive reliability woes" headlines and accusations that they're buying the championship.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Note McLaren did just that though one race last year and swapped the full engines a few times and got a 100+ grid penalty. They have to run the engines for a few laps with the new parts to count, so time really is the limiting factor.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
McLaren only swapped the entire power unit once, but the penalty was x places per part (IC engine, battery pack, MGU-K etc.) so replacing every part incurred a mega-combo penalty.

The limiting factor apart from brand shame is time. It takes ages to swap the entire power unit and asking the mechanics to do it 3 or 4 times on the bounce between p1 & 2, or p3 & quali is impossible. Plus you can guarantee if some team did attempt it the rules would be re-written by the next round to only allow you to replace each part once per weekend.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

No you wouldn't, because then you'd have spunked your budget for the year up the wall wrecking engines.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I think they mentioned that on the BBC text feed from P2 earlier on, that Jenson holds the current record for grid penalties at 75 positions

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jammyozzy posted:

The limiting factor apart from brand shame is time. It takes ages to swap the entire power unit and asking the mechanics to do it 3 or 4 times on the bounce between p1 & 2, or p3 & quali is impossible. Plus you can guarantee if some team did attempt it the rules would be re-written by the next round to only allow you to replace each part once per weekend.

The only way I could see being able to swing that is if the driver had 4 gearboxes in rotation and you had it set up so you had four rear half's of cars assembled and you just essentially had to bolt and hook connections and lines up. Might be justifiable if Mercedes was neck and neck with another team in both championships, but it's going to be a blowout even if Lewis has to take another penalty somewhere down the line so there's no reason to waste resources like that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm amazed that they're going to let Mercedes getting away with this.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Mercedes did nothing wrong.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm amazed that they're going to let Mercedes getting away with this.

No matter how you sliced it Lewis was going to get given a penalty for 20 grid places and Mercedes chose to get them all done at a track where there was a decent chance of a recovery. That's just good strategy.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Last year Mercedes actually asked to have the engine change over a weekend loophole closed last year and it got rejected. I guess it's worked out well for them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They should've just given Lewis one of Nico's engines.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Left over position drops from grid penalties should carry over to the next race(s).

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

blunt posted:

Left over position drops from grid penalties should carry over to the next race(s).

They did but the rule was changed at somepoint last season.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What about all the GOOD things Mercedes did?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What about all the GOOD things Mercedes did?

Leaving motor racing in '55 was pretty good.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

cgfreak posted:

:allears:

Honestly though, Nico Rosberg is a very good looking man. (It's about the only thing he has going for him.)

Literally Mr. Bean

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I wish the EU management at Mercedes wouldn't involve Lewis with their rule-bending and cheating, but on the other hand it's probably a good idea not to be around Crooked Nico and his sharp front wing on the first lap...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Croc posted:

They did but the rule was changed at somepoint last season.

Because Honda.

I see what they've done - they're taking the penalty here, but now have two "fresh" engines for the rest of the year. Well played.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
he could've turned up late to the fia too to get a reprimand (3rd) to clear that slate too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Remember that time Ferrari changed Massa's gearbox at the American GP and incurred a grid drop so that Alonso would go up a place on the grid and switch to the better side of the track?

:allears:

• Locked thread