Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They look alright to me but they do seem to be done in a rather different art style and yes for $5 I would expect a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

There are art deco buildings available on the workshop, and Feindbild has a good set of Brooklyn/Manhattan buildings too.

I do have quite a few buildings that I've collected from the workshop and most of them are great but to a point Barron raises, after a while you get this odd mishmash of mismatched buildings that after a while just don't if together. It's also a pain finding matching utility and civic buildings as the contemporary designs in the base game really begin to stand out when you deviate from that style.

Now that I can actually see the pictures I wouldn't say they're terrible but they're still not anything special and not something I'd drop $5 on... to me I can see how they're art deco inspired but they really do look half finished and bland. Yeah, a lot of deco buildings are just unfinished brick or stone or just have a single sold colour but they are have extremely detailed patterns or reliefs and solid lines to help make them pop. Then you have examples like the American Radiator Building and the Eastern Columbia Building that would've been much better inspiration here. Clearly you're not going to be able to fit that much detail on a model since you spend much of the game zoomed out but a few things in that collection look like he just modeled the shape of the building, used the fill function to colour it one colour and painted on some windows. There are no details or textures whatsoever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

You're kidding.

I would sooner pay 5 dollars for some loving weather that isn't the same square texture repeating over and over in multiple layers (there's seriously so many good, efficient ways to make realistic video game snow and they used none of them)

Do tell!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Snow is a bit too boring when it doesn't change. Having summer-winter rotations on the other hand would be the tits.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
If you're not seeing people posting about newish stuff it might just be because the discussion is going on in private places (not me).

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah the new disaster stuff and the curated buildings aren't really for me, but I gotta say I love that DLC cinema that looks like a chicken in profile.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Vahakyla posted:

Snow is a bit too boring when it doesn't change. Having summer-winter rotations on the other hand would be the tits.

they said it's a technical limitation that i can't do seasons. i forget the exact reason but it would take pretty much a new game to do it

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
they put some new pics up of the buildings. they don't even match the quality of the stock stuff. very weird.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Metrication posted:

they put some new pics up of the buildings. they don't even match the quality of the stock stuff. very weird.

Hahah, they changed them to a bunch of night shots so you can't see as clearly how bland they are. Cripes.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

mutata posted:

Do tell!

use a larger texture (or, you know a noise based shader or something), it's 2016, most of us have 4GB+ of VRAM :ssh:

Is there a mod that makes the roads look better at sunset? I hate they way they reflect the sun as if it's all one smooth, perfectly paved surface.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

use a larger texture (or, you know a noise based shader or something), it's 2016, most of us have 4GB+ of VRAM :ssh:

I guess they could do some toggleable settings, but I doubt that the majority of Cities Skylines have 4gb of vram.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mutata posted:

I guess they could do some toggleable settings, but I doubt that the majority of Cities Skylines have 4gb of vram.

I wonder how much VRAM someone running a heavily modified city is going to be using up anyways. I have a 1080 and my FPS still tanks when I look at my city.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Is there a mod that makes the roads look better at sunset? I hate they way they reflect the sun as if it's all one smooth, perfectly paved surface.

There's a road texture mod that does this

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Does any of you guys have a link to or are the goon that posted the gorgeous port they made? I think it had quays and parks and stuff, and they were curved. I wanna use it as inspiration.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Making my own models is hard and Maya sucks because it's so buggy, but I can't figure out 3DS Max for the life of me despite a ton of tutorials.

What's the other website you guys are using to talk about this game? I know there is one, I think.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Thin Privilege posted:

Making my own models is hard and Maya sucks because it's so buggy, but I can't figure out 3DS Max for the life of me despite a ton of tutorials.

What's the other website you guys are using to talk about this game? I know there is one, I think.

The only other websites I'm familiar with are the Cities Skylines subreddit and Simtropolis. Simtropolis has some fairly active modding threads.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The only other websites I'm familiar with are the Cities Skylines subreddit and Simtropolis. Simtropolis has some fairly active modding threads.

Ah ok thanks!!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
At what point does the agent limit actually start to diminish the traffic and commuting simulation? I'm just over 100,000 population. Didn't someone mention a mod that gets rid of all the wildlife and frees up a bunch of agents?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

super fart shooter posted:

At what point does the agent limit actually start to diminish the traffic and commuting simulation? I'm just over 100,000 population. Didn't someone mention a mod that gets rid of all the wildlife and frees up a bunch of agents?

There's a few different 'remove seagulls' mods on the workshop, iirc each park spawns 2 seagulls and each counts as an agent in the engine.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I seem to recall the agent limit being 216 = 65.53 (65,000)

Apparently if the game ran DX12 we'd see performance boosts with larger cities, among other options they have to improve the long term gameplay. Sadly they seem content with the game the way it is, so don't get your hopes up for any actual core improvements outside of their random superficial expansion packs.

Still, managing a 100k population city is fun, even if only 20% of the people can actually move at once.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I miss Children of the Nile and the Caesar games, which were scenario based. This seems to be a giant sandbox? I need something new and relaxing to play.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Happy Hedonist posted:

I miss Children of the Nile and the Caesar games, which were scenario based. This seems to be a giant sandbox? I need something new and relaxing to play.

The next DLC will actually have scenarios, but I doubt it'd be anything but a themed start.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Anyone remember the old Sim City Classic Berlin 1945 scenario where you load it up and it uses the plane crash disaster all over the city to represent bombs, and you have to rebuild. That was always my favorite.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

in sc3k unlimited there was a berlin unification scenario which was great.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That was a lot of fun now that I remember it. SC3000 was great. I actually found a mod to play the soundtrack and SC4 soundtrack in Cities, which is pretty cool. Oddly enough, it meshes well with the Cities soundtrack.

Btw, does anyone know of a solution to the odd inability for tram tracks to cross rail tracks at grade crossings? It seems really odd that they cant. Also, does anyone know of a roadless tram track asset?(so I can run trams on their own right of way)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
so industry happily chugs away without any connection whatsoever to workers? like my industry area has a cargo rail which seems to handle everything, and no road, train or boat connection from residential to industrial, yet everything seems to run smoothly

do they just not require workers?

did I mod myself stupid somehow?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

so industry happily chugs away without any connection whatsoever to workers? like my industry area has a cargo rail which seems to handle everything, and no road, train or boat connection from residential to industrial, yet everything seems to run smoothly

do they just not require workers?

did I mod myself stupid somehow?

Nope, workplaces actually don't require workers. A long time ago in a pre-release dev diary they mentioned that industries that actually get their workers arriving successfully get some tiny bonus, but I don't even think that's implemented. Your stuff would all quickly abandon if it actually required people to actually arrive at work because the time is so compressed. It's already bad enough just keeping your industries supplied with materials and shops supplied with goods.

I wish they had gone with more realistic trip generation, but then people would complain that their dinky town of 20,000 doesn't need a huge highway and subway system to stay afloat and a huge chunk of the player base just wants tons of traffic to build cool interchanges around, the economics don't really matter so long as there's some cool skyscrapers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm pretty sure that industry does require workers to reach them, but it just takes an absurd amount of time.

jadebullet posted:

That was a lot of fun now that I remember it. SC3000 was great. I actually found a mod to play the soundtrack and SC4 soundtrack in Cities, which is pretty cool. Oddly enough, it meshes well with the Cities soundtrack.

Btw, does anyone know of a solution to the odd inability for tram tracks to cross rail tracks at grade crossings? It seems really odd that they cant. Also, does anyone know of a roadless tram track asset?(so I can run trams on their own right of way)

The game ships with tram only tram tracks, you should be able to find them under the transportation -> tram tab.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Workers visiting a factory is supposed to give a buff to goods created, which is what is directly taxed. I don't think its big enough to measure if its even implemented.

Cims seem to just exist to clog your roads. Making them live in bus stations for years at a time makes your city run better because it leaves more room on the roads for trucks, which the simulation actually cares about.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of which, I can't get cargo trains working without clogging roads

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, so I just loaded up the game and for some reason I am getting some massive lag. If I don't move the camera, everything runs fine, but as soon as I try moving the camera, there is about a 1 second input lag and my framerates plummet.

It was working fine before, very smooth, and this just started when I loaded up today. The only thing I added was some trains, some trams and tram stops, and the realistic vehicle speed mod.

Does anyone know what could eb causing this?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

Nope, workplaces actually don't require workers. A long time ago in a pre-release dev diary they mentioned that industries that actually get their workers arriving successfully get some tiny bonus, but I don't even think that's implemented. Your stuff would all quickly abandon if it actually required people to actually arrive at work because the time is so compressed. It's already bad enough just keeping your industries supplied with materials and shops supplied with goods.

I wish they had gone with more realistic trip generation, but then people would complain that their dinky town of 20,000 doesn't need a huge highway and subway system to stay afloat and a huge chunk of the player base just wants tons of traffic to build cool interchanges around, the economics don't really matter so long as there's some cool skyscrapers.

Noob question: why does poo poo abandon because of Not Enough (Educated) Workers then? And don't say education, I have that poo poo all over the place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They need workers as a statistic but not as a physical com driving there. That system can sometimes take a long time to update leading to confusion and superstition.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Speaking of which, I can't get cargo trains working without clogging roads

Ir's been a while since I played, but the main solution to unloading trains in a timely manner required a 1 way road feeding into the train station, set up so that trucks didn't have to turn into oncoming traffic to get into the station. You'll still have a road clogging number of tractor trailers to contend with, but the main thing is to keep them off the main roads when loading/unloading and setting your roads up in such a way that no one was turning into traffic and thereby holding up their lane while waiting.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

lmao jesus christ

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

is that worse than this

(stock buildings to the left and right)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
oh wow, I missed the page before they changed it to nighttime shots but you guys weren't kidding.

There are so many actually good mods why did they pick this dreck

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

i don't want to poo poo on people's work but i really am amazed by the quality of this

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Koramei posted:

oh wow, I missed the page before they changed it to nighttime shots but you guys weren't kidding.

There are so many actually good mods why did they pick this dreck

apparently he approached paradox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
This is some manner of late April fools joke right guys. "Oh players say they want more buildings in the dlc? Well here ya go here's a couple of ugly garbage buildings and just cause we like ya here's a stylized picture of the fedora-making GBS threads neckbeard who made them."