Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I agree with Google Butt that at your mileage, your struts are probably toast or nearly so. I'm pretty sure aftermarket suspension parts are completely interchangeable between the regular 3 and the Speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MourningGlory posted:

I agree with Google Butt that at your mileage, your struts are probably toast or nearly so. I'm pretty sure aftermarket suspension parts are completely interchangeable between the regular 3 and the Speed.
Awesome, thanks to both. Does this seem like a good place to start or should I get the springs separate? Then just grab the other bits (bump stop, strut mount) that Google Butt mentioned, find a suspension shop, and say "please put these on my car?" I know nothing about this stuff.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Awesome, thanks to both. Does this seem like a good place to start or should I get the springs separate? Then just grab the other bits (bump stop, strut mount) that Google Butt mentioned, find a suspension shop, and say "please put these on my car?" I know nothing about this stuff.

That kit will lower the car, which will require adjustable rear camber arms to deal with the change in geometry. I believe those FSD 4040's can be used with stock springs, google to confirm that though.

Strut mount
Bearing

I think the FSD's use the OEM bumpstops (again, double check that), but I believe this can be used in the rear. Not sure about the fronts, my B8's have internal bump stops in the front.

edit: Oh, might want to have the endlinks replaced while they're in there.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 2, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Another 6 Wagon popped up right around the corner. White, tan leather, sunroof and stuff. The thing is they have the window stickered as a Lexus and the kid working the desk looked at me like I was the idiot. They want $4.5K for it but I'm assuming the price is inflated because they hosed up the listing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Google Butt posted:

That kit will lower the car, which will require adjustable rear camber arms to deal with the change in geometry. I believe those FSD 4040's can be used with stock springs, google to confirm that though.
Gotcha, so this damper set and leave the OE springs, which seem to work with them from what I can tell. Do people usually only replace the springs to adjust the height of the car, and are less of a wear item? Or should I replace the springs with OE ones while I'm at it?
2x of these, from what I can tell from the suspension diagrams (only in the front)? Sorry I'm an idiot at this stuff and just want to make sure I get it all. Thanks for your help!

I really need to find a local mechanic I trust for these types of questions. :sigh:

Until now I've paid for mostly pretty basic maintenance (I did the spark plugs myself :shobon: ), the occasional tires, and a clutch. Now that I'm over 100,000 miles I feel like I'm getting into territory where it's really easy to get fleeced since I'm clueless about this stuff. Even if I don't do the work myself I'd like to understand as much of it as possible so I don't get taken for a ride.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 2, 2016

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I need y'alls help. I'm a realtor and I currently have a 2013 FR-S. This is obviously not conducive to showing clients around as it's pretty low for most people and there's no backseat. I love the car so much but I just don't think I can keep it.

So I've been looking at the Mazda 6. I'm not planning on racing or lowering or putting in mods, so really I'm just wondering how y'all like the car. I don't think I'll be looking at the Speed as that's a little out of my price range at the moment. But I'm just wanting to make sure it's reliable and you're not having any big problems with it. I just have to have a car that I'll feel comfortable showing people around in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Speed6 is ancient so I'm imagining you're thinking there is a new one. There isn't.

The regular 6 is a good interior, but I can't help to wonder what a client might think of a Mazda. Hell, I'm surprised anyone was ok with being shown around in an FRS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd rather see a new Mazda6 than a V6 AWD Cadillac CTS which is what my last realtor drove.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

The speed6 is cool though..

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Good luck finding a stock one though

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Ok yeah, I thought there was a new Speed6. I really don't think clients will care if I'm in a Mazda, they don't really notice as much as y'all think. I've been having people follow me to houses so far which isn't a huge deal because I'm in an area where everything is super close together and it gives them time to talk without me around.

I like the looks of the 6 though. How's the trunk space? And are the seats comfortable?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought one of those ungodly chinese Eonon radios because I wanted to be able to stream bluetooth music from my phone and have it look like it was "moderately" stock. Well the screen failed after a week of use so I'm putting it out by the curb. What's a good way to get bluetooth in on a stock 2009 3 radio? I'm guessing my best bet is some kind of Bluetooth->Aux doodad?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I bought one of those ungodly chinese Eonon radios because I wanted to be able to stream bluetooth music from my phone and have it look like it was "moderately" stock. Well the screen failed after a week of use so I'm putting it out by the curb. What's a good way to get bluetooth in on a stock 2009 3 radio? I'm guessing my best bet is some kind of Bluetooth->Aux doodad?

Yup, something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Ha...xiliary+adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Re...xiliary+adapter

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

Ok yeah, I thought there was a new Speed6. I really don't think clients will care if I'm in a Mazda, they don't really notice as much as y'all think. I've been having people follow me to houses so far which isn't a huge deal because I'm in an area where everything is super close together and it gives them time to talk without me around.

I like the looks of the 6 though. How's the trunk space? And are the seats comfortable?

My wife as a 2015 6 (Manual GT) and loves it. Trunk space is excellent, and the seats are great. It goes fast enough quick enough for us, but we don't exactly have a lead foot. For some strange reason I've had people try and race me in it. It was odd.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

SpannerX posted:

My wife as a 2015 6 (Manual GT) and loves it. Trunk space is excellent, and the seats are great. It goes fast enough quick enough for us, but we don't exactly have a lead foot. For some strange reason I've had people try and race me in it. It was odd.

That's good to hear, I usually have open house signs and stuff in the trunk so I just wanted to make sure I was able to fit them. I'll have to go test drive one next week. I'm really not looking forward to getting rid of my FR-S though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Get a CX5 instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Google Butt posted:

The speed6 is cool though..

Google Butt posted:

Good luck finding a stock one though

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/5701839604.html

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Get a CX5 instead.

Nah, I really don't want an SUV. The area that I'm in isn't really conducive to a bigger car plus I like the look of the 6's front end. I saw a couple black ones driving around today and they looked really nice so that's probably the route I'll go.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The CX5 is actually quite a lot smaller than a 6 sedan. I'd go with the 6 though, they're just a nicer vehicle.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of SUVs, I drove a new CX-9 the other day and I really wish I had an excuse to drive that car every day.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Speaking of SUVs, I drove a new CX-9 the other day and I really wish I had an excuse to drive that car every day.

Did they redesign all of the SUVs or just the CX-9? That's what they've been advertising. I'm a ways off from a new vehicle but when I get there it'll either be a 7 or 9. CX5 doesn't even have as much room as my 3 hatch.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The CX-7 was discontinued to make way for the CX-5. I don't think there are any plans to bring back the CX-7.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, the CX5 has a smaller footprint than the old CX7, but I think the actual usable volume is similar.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The likelihood of me going in to buy the CX5 and walking out with the CX9 is crazy high. It's so good.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Finally saw one in the wild the other day and it looked gorgeous although I do think the rearlights a tad bit small.

I have a 2015 3 and my brother needs a car so I'm thinking of switching the car over to him and getting a CX-5. (The Grand Touring with the those LED lights :allears:)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dang, low mileage ones do exist. Wonder how good that price is.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 17, 2016

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

Did they redesign all of the SUVs or just the CX-9? That's what they've been advertising. I'm a ways off from a new vehicle but when I get there it'll either be a 7 or 9. CX5 doesn't even have as much room as my 3 hatch.

The new CX-9 is sexy as all hell but Mazda really needs to plant that SkyActiv 2.5G Turbo engine into a 3 body.

Does a CX5 have less cargo space than a Mazda3 on paper? I can see how the CX5 might have a two inches less of depth but it's gotta have more height and a shaved hair or three of more width?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The CX5 holds a good bit more than the 3 hatch. You might be thinking CX3 vs 3.

CX5: rear seatback up/folded (cu ft) 34.1 / 64.8

3 hatch: rear seat up / rear seat folded 20.2 / 47.1

CX3: rear seat up / rear seat folded 10.1 / 42.3

edit: Huh, the CX9 isn't as different vs. the CX5 as I thought it'd be.
CX9: rear seats up/3rd row folded/2nd and 3rd rows folded 14.4 / 38.2 / 71.2.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 18, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Fabulousity posted:

The new CX-9 is sexy as all hell but Mazda really needs to plant that SkyActiv 2.5G Turbo engine into a 3 body.

Does a CX5 have less cargo space than a Mazda3 on paper? I can see how the CX5 might have a two inches less of depth but it's gotta have more height and a shaved hair or three of more width?

And the AWD system from the CX-5.

Mazda do the needful

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The 3 comes with AWD and a stick in Japan, even.

Give it the Brembo/Bilstein/BBS/Recaro/LSD treatment + a retune of the 2.5T and it'd be in a really good spot between the GTI/ST/WRX tier and the R/RS/STi tier.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

310ft/lbs of torque and a part-time AWD system? Yes I'd take that.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Does anyone else have problems with their automatic window driver-side controls? I can roll down the front passenger window but it won't roll up. I have to lean over and roll it up with the passenger control.

The same has started happening to my rear driver-side window. I can roll it down but it struggles to roll back up. It's almost like it gets stuck or the motor is bad. I have to push it a few times and it will start going. Pulling on it doesn't help, and I know the motor is fine because it rolls up with good strength when I use the respective control.

This is on an 08 Mazda3. I guess it's just electrical problems but I wonder if I could get into the controls easy and spray some contact cleaner or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MA-Horus posted:

310ft/lbs of torque and a part-time AWD system? Yes I'd take that.

Mazda hates us so that's why we'll never get this in NA.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
No, we just need the CX5 to carry Mazda like the Cayenne carries Porsche.

If the CX5 became ubiquitous we'd have Mazdaspeedns and weird turbo rotary cars. Maybe.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
For the second time in about a month my stereo (2010 MS3 with Bose) stopped outputting audio. Stereo is still powered on and the headunit seems to think everything is working. Tried radio, CD, and Bluetooth - no sound of any kind. Both times it just died while listening to a podcast.

Checked the fuses and amp connections - they all appear good. Looks like the internet thinks it is the amp under the passenger seat and the part is ~$800 (not sure if CAD or USD).

This happen to anybody else here? Am I pretty much stuck buying this from Mazda?

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
Apparently this exists.

http://www.mazda-motors.com/news/visual-comparison-mazda-cx-4-vs-koeru-concept/

But only in China :saddowns:

azazello fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 25, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Turns out I like Kayaking and I probably need to carry it. Is there a decent roof rack system for a 2009 3 Hatch that isn't really expensive? Expensive means different things to different people, but I have a lot of trouble justifying $300 for two bars across my roof, not including the actual carriers I'll need for the Kayak itself.

I'll probably stay with the foam blocks for now.

Is something like this just a disaster waiting to happen?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Doesn't the 2nd gen have the bolts under the rain gutter trim? The first gen does. CL is a great place to buy roof rack stuff because it lasts forever and there is no shortage of people who bought one, used it twice, and are now looking to get rid.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, good question. I'll have to check that. Mine is actually that weird 2009 where it's still the gen1 styling so I'm not sure whether it has any factory prep for roof equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Hmm, good question. I'll have to check that. Mine is actually that weird 2009 where it's still the gen1 styling so I'm not sure whether it has any factory prep for roof equipment.

The penultimate Gen1. Pretty sure the mounts are under little tabs in the gutter covers.