Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shalkore posted:

What piece of poo poo just kicks a little kid like that? Deserved that punch for sure

Agreed. You'd have to be some kind of retard to just attack a kid and not expect to get laid the gently caress out. Good on that dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Shalkore posted:

What piece of poo poo just kicks a little kid like that? Deserved that punch for sure

Dude, there's a lot more to that video. That little kid grows up to be hitler.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shalkore posted:

That guy was just trying to start his real estate business in Chicago

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Shalkore posted:

I'm sure the kid was saying something about a meat sandwich or chicken cheese. Or an airplane frame chute that works (or doesn't). It was probably about how guns are only for murderers. Or how bike riders are a plague on a modern society.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
That kids was like, "trains are for autists, lol"

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Kid like, "anime and/or videogames are bad"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham posted:

Question, is the city worse now than it was say ten years ago? I've been here by daylight for like three years now and it seems perfectly fine, but a guy I know who's been here since like 1996 says it's like the Warriors now compared to how it was under Giuliani. I don't see it

Keep in mind that I don't actually live in the city. Since 2008 I've spent between 5 and 15 days of the year in the city, usually staying in the same hotel in Hell's Kitchen. I'm really familiar with it for a tourist and I love the place, but I'm nothing close to an expert.

I don't really see any increase in anything bad, honestly. Scammers and angry drunks fighting have been a part of the city since before I started coming, but that's never going to go away. If anything, there's been a steady increase in police presence and gentrification every time I return. The crime rate took a gigantic drop in the 90s and has floated around the same low level since 2008, so unless the NYPD is loving around with the numbers it's probably no worse than any other time I've come. Here's a chart of murders specifically and you can see how it just plummeted.

If anything, the scariest thing you end up encountering is the NYPD. They've got a really awful reputation for racial profiling and random searches, or arresting suspected or known prostitutes who aren't actually doing anything in the name of "getting a hooker off the streets" and using skimpy clothes as probable cause in a city where female toplessness is legal. The increasing paranoia about terrorist attacks has also led to there being a ton of cops decked out like SWAT team with AR-15s standing around anywhere important, like Times Square or subway stations. A lot of them are incredibly fat, which just makes it look worse: they're even giving lovely cops a bunch of tactical gear and rifles and telling them to stand around big crowds where, in the case of an actual terrorist attack, they'd probably just shoot a bunch of civilians.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Please don't post schaden in the US geography thread.

Hearsay
Mar 16, 2012
[qu A bit later on he comes past and asks if I smoke weed, we share a joint, have a chat. He's from Libya and a bit of a space cadet, kind of funny but not dangerous in the least. A week before that me and some mates were walking past a homeless teenager who asks us for change, we say sorry and then go to get water from a corner store, on the way back we come and sit down and have a joint and a chat with him.

e: A big part of it is also not being a maladjusted antisocial archetypal goon
[/quote]

I'm no germaphobic but gently caress that spit sharing. It's not right.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

quote:

cities suck and are dangerous and overpriced

-people with super interesting lives

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Data Graham posted:

Question, is the city worse now than it was say ten years ago? I've been here by daylight for like three years now and it seems perfectly fine, but a guy I know who's been here since like 1996 says it's like the Warriors now compared to how it was under Giuliani. I don't see it

Nah, that dude is crazy if that's what he thinks. Things have been steadily getting cleaner and safer at about the same rate as they were towards the end of Giuliani's tenure as mayor. Places that you never would have been comfortable visiting, let alone living, back in the 90s are slowly being cleaned up and gentrified with no sign of slowing down. Neighborhoods like Washington Heights and Spanish Harlem (just to give two easy examples) are becoming destinations for people who can't afford Brooklyn anymore. It's pretty crazy to see areas that were absolutely to be avoided when I was a kid (I'm a native born New Yorker and remember the late 70s pretty well) now becoming enclaves of gentrification and destinations for middle class folks.

Chitoryu's right though, the cops are probably the most dangerous thing you're likely to encounter on the street these days (unless you go to east New York or something stupid like that). There are decent ones of course, just like any group of people, but the lovely ones are more brazen about being lovely than they used to be (or at least it seems like it these days anyway). I get the feeling that the whole post-9/11 hero worship thing went to a lot of their heads, along with the extra power from anti terrorism policies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Data Graham posted:

As a kid who grew up bridge and tunnel in the early 00s, got to do poo poo that a young suburban kid shouldn't have been doing, but skirted a lot of the sketchier poo poo--it is much safer overall especially in the nicer areas, and it seems what exists of the underworld has largely "gotten its poo poo together" so to speak. I can't speak for this year, but that's how it was back when I was going there semi-regularly.

The seedier element is definitely still there, but unless you're spectacularly clueless odds are surprisingly low that you'll stumble into a bad situation. Even at 4 a.m. and drugged out of my skull it was shockingly safe to just stumble the gently caress around Manhattan waiting on train platforms and walking the streets, at 16 no less. Compare that to when I was a boy and the city had a much seedier overall vibe in the early 90s it's practically a playground in comparison. There are still bad neighborhoods but they're compressed further and further into the outer boroughs like the Bronx or Queens (gentrification!) so unless you're very poor--at which point I would advise you to turn around from NYC and never look back--odds are you won't ever have to go near them unless you have dedicated business there.

chitoryu12 posted:

If anything, the scariest thing you end up encountering is the NYPD.

Also true.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pretty much what I thought.

Plus I've never had the columns in a subway station come to life and try to beat me up like in The Wiz, beginning to think my whole childhood was a lie

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Macrowave Oven posted:

It's you. You're the goblin. I find your shallow opinion so distasteful that I'm taking time to write this and post it.

Just bike. gently caress haters.

Edit: My milk crate is on the back, in case you were wondering what my rig looks like.

I love it and I respect you.

Those that use an upside-down toilet plunger instead of a saddle are the best. They always kick your rear end on any ride. Especially if they're wearing a heavy mammoth wool sweater with a giant coffee pot for a helmet.

That's what makes getting my rear end kicked so embarrassing. I shave 3 grams on grip tape and still get passed by a guy using wheels that were carved out of stone while dragging a dead donkey on 10 feet of rope.

They're smiling, and I'm crying in my pathetic full kit and bike that weighs less than the dump I took in the morning.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVIeUmsBGHc

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dillbag posted:

Bear spray

Holy poo poo, that would suck. That guy handled it pretty damned well, I'm sure lots of people would have hosed up and gotten into a crash at that point.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Chichevache posted:

Agreed. You'd have to be some kind of retard to just attack a kid and not expect to get laid the gently caress out. Good on that dad.
I see what you did there. :golfclap:

Also, suburbs and rural areas are perfection, if your idea of perfection is a breeding ground for mentally-inflexible conservatives that would still have blacks in chains and gays set on fire if urban areas hadn't dragged them kicking and streaming toward social progress.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:aaaaa:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh it's that time again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoPjYNDbX4Y

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

my favorite bear spray related video I will never get tired of hearing that guy shout "gently caress yew bear!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Since we're talking about bears, sprays, and funny northern accents this is a good a time as any:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5cMZymSr0

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better

mind the walrus posted:

Since we're talking about bears, sprays, and funny northern accents this is a good a time as any:

Bear, bear, bear, bear, please maul this girl. Please shut her up. Bear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stealing from the OSHA thread:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

mind the walrus posted:

I would 100% believe this is a friend of mine. I had to ask her to make sure.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

mostlygray posted:

I love it and I respect you.

Those that use an upside-down toilet plunger instead of a saddle are the best. They always kick your rear end on any ride. Especially if they're wearing a heavy mammoth wool sweater with a giant coffee pot for a helmet.

That's what makes getting my rear end kicked so embarrassing. I shave 3 grams on grip tape and still get passed by a guy using wheels that were carved out of stone while dragging a dead donkey on 10 feet of rope.

They're smiling, and I'm crying in my pathetic full kit and bike that weighs less than the dump I took in the morning.

I guess I shouldn't be an elitist too, since I get all uppity when I get passed by a bite squad biker leaning on the throttle of his e bike and sporting a look of determined boredom on his or her face.

They also swerve off and on to the sidewalk. I get so mayd at that!

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8JRD4eaFHU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mind the walrus posted:

It's incomplete without Werner Herzog's reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WASTED

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

the gently caress was a toddler doing in the endzone of a NFL game?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

With the bases loaded and his team trailing by three runs in the second inning, Brandon Thomas deposited a pitch far over the tall left-field fence at GCS Ballpark in Sauget.

The grand slam put the Gateway Grizzlies ahead of Frontier League foe Joliet Slammers and sparked a 17-6 win. But it was a moment Thomas could enjoy only until he had to place that call to his insurance adjuster.

His towering blast sailed into the players’ parking lot, landed on his own 2008 Toyota Tundra and shattered the windshield.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Enos Cabell posted:

the gently caress was a toddler doing in the endzone of a NFL game?

I have no doubt that the person responsible for the toddler being sacked was sacked.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Yond Cassius posted:

It's incomplete without Werner Herzog's reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INov9gQ2aUA

This is the best thing ever. Too bad it doesn't include the next five to ten seconds: "You must burn this tape. You must not let anybody ever hear it. It will be the elephant in the room for your entire life" or such.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I totally misread this as beer spray and thought there'd be follow up schaden of getting busted for DUI. Disappointed.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

chitoryu12 posted:

Stealing from the OSHA thread:

Haha holy gently caress that's amazing. What a dumb kid. Even friendly cows are still hundreds of pounds of animal flesh. Glad he didn't get seriously hurt.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Like how do you even explain this to your adjuster

"Uh yeah my winshield was shattered"
"How did that happen?"
"I hit a grand slam to win my minor league baseball game and broke my own window"

Does his premium go up or not?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37195836

A man who avoided prison after being convicted of a street attack has been jailed for refusing to perform unpaid work, then boasting about it online.

I love it when this happens, and they've been quite common recently

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

mostlygray posted:

Your commute includes '60s Doctor Who villains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Goddamn Particle posted:

Your commute includes '60s Doctor Who villains?

Yours doesn't?