Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Powerfrog posted:

I've only ever read 3-4 CYOA LPs on here and I don't know why I avoid them cos I've loved each one and don't care about participating or not.

Specific request: Any CYOA that begins with a kid or newborn and continues until they're very old or dead? Think "Roy: The game" from Rick and Morty.

None specific: Really good must-see CYOA LPs?
Some from The Game Room: Paradise Lost is very good, and starts with the protagonist as a child. It's set in a sort of not-Mesopotamia where magic, demons and so on are real. It's just started up again after goons got the protagonist horribly killed, so now's a good time to jump on. The Prometheus Cycle is pretty good as well if you like Warhammer 40K. If you want something shorter, I'm enjoying You Are A Tree, which I probably shouldn't describe any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Any long-winded RTS VLPs out in the wild that I may have missed?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

They're from a few years ago and he stopped making the videos shortly into it, but General Wo on Youtube had a neat playthrough of a couple Napoleon Total War campaigns that I remember being pretty interesting. He also has a pretty good "historical narrator" style of voice that isn't very far from what you might hear over top something you'd watch on the history channel or similar and that helped my enjoyment of it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I want to experience Xenogears but I don't want to play it. Can anyone recommend me a good video Let's Play? Preferably one without voice but if you think that the LPer talking doesn't detract from the experience, I'm game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
There's no voice acting in Xenogears, and it's long as hell, so you really sure you want a VLP? Because The Dark Id did pretty much THE perfect Xenogears SSLP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GuavaMoment posted:

There's no voice acting in Xenogears, and it's long as hell, so you really sure you want a VLP? Because The Dark Id did pretty much THE perfect Xenogears SSLP.

A Rope of Robots is the perfect Xenogears SSLP :colbert: But Id's is really drat good too. Plus AROR still isn't finished hasn't updated in 4 years, sadly.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
looking for the LP version of a podcast, I guess? something I can just put on and listen to while doing something else. I already know about RunButton, so maybe something in a different vein?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

morallyobjected posted:

looking for the LP version of a podcast, I guess? something I can just put on and listen to while doing something else. I already know about RunButton, so maybe something in a different vein?

I've been listening to Dodger(presshearttocontinue) play games like hatoful boyfriend, its pretty funny as she does some pretty good and consistent voices.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FPzero posted:

They're from a few years ago and he stopped making the videos shortly into it, but General Wo on Youtube had a neat playthrough of a couple Napoleon Total War campaigns that I remember being pretty interesting. He also has a pretty good "historical narrator" style of voice that isn't very far from what you might hear over top something you'd watch on the history channel or similar and that helped my enjoyment of it.

thanx you

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

Iron Chitlin did a run of Legend of Grimrock for the casual LP thread that I absolutely love. Its just a group of friends getting together to watch Chitlin play a game and occasionally play accordion and its a lot of fun!

Alternatively a thing I've been doing recently is watching the Super Meat Boy races that Smite hosted a while back! I have like...zero interest in the game but its fun to listen to people get together and race, and watching the bonus races is what inspired me to start hosting my own!

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
There are two different Live A Live SSLPs on the Archive, one played by YappingEevee, and one played by a bunch of people. What's the difference? (Besides the people involved.) Does either one have any sort of meaningful advantage over the other?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Iron Chitlin did a run of Legend of Grimrock for the casual LP thread that I absolutely love. Its just a group of friends getting together to watch Chitlin play a game and occasionally play accordion and its a lot of fun!

Alternatively a thing I've been doing recently is watching the Super Meat Boy races that Smite hosted a while back! I have like...zero interest in the game but its fun to listen to people get together and race, and watching the bonus races is what inspired me to start hosting my own!

The Legend of Grimrock LP is actually one I caught in the thread and is one of my favourites--especially the accordion bits and everyone giving Chitlin poo poo for messing up--but I love races so I'll definitely take a look at the Super Meat Boy one. Thanks!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MonstrousMouse posted:

There are two different Live A Live SSLPs on the Archive, one played by YappingEevee, and one played by a bunch of people. What's the difference? (Besides the people involved.) Does either one have any sort of meaningful advantage over the other?

The one done by a bunch of people was done by a bunch of people so the quality can vary from chapter to chapter (especially since some probations may have prevented some people from updating at some point? Something like that.)

YappingEevee's is more uniform in quality, includes more concept and character art and he also slapped in some extra thread stuff to the archive.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Faerie Fortune posted:

In the same vein, we also had the Mega Man races before and the Mario 64 races afterwards. You can also find random other race videos scattered around Youtube channels of some of the people involved in them, here's a pretty decent but incomplete playlist.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

There's a whole race thread here. It's got some of what's mentioned and also a lot more, if you somehow run out!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Is there a good (non-SA, I looked for them here...) LP of Mad Max or Shadow of Mordor, or a similar game? Not any of the Batmans, please.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Lazyfire did Shadow of Mordor: http://lparchive.org/Middle-Earth-Shadow-of-Mordor/

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Don't know how I missed that, thanks!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
There was this Civ 2 (I think) LP where the player completely dominated the game on the hardest difficulty. I'd like to find that thread (I suck at searching) but also more recommendations like that, because it was pretty funny. That is, someone completely wrecking a strategy game. Ideally in screenshot form so I can read it on breaks and whatever.

v Thanks!

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 26, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thoughtless posted:

There was this Civ 2 (I think) LP where the player completely dominated the game on the hardest difficulty. I'd like to find that thread

Here it is. And here's the archived version.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Thoughtless posted:

There was this Civ 2 (I think) LP where the player completely dominated the game on the hardest difficulty. I'd like to find that thread (I suck at searching) but also more recommendations like that, because it was pretty funny. That is, someone completely wrecking a strategy game. Ideally in screenshot form so I can read it on breaks and whatever.

v Thanks!

The same LPer also completely dominated a couple of Fire Emblem games. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701153 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716259

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

GuavaMoment posted:

I could give it a shot. I don't care for jokes or Dark Id's meta commentary and I want to hear Xenogears legendary score but I should also prioritize cutting down on the time investment.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't care for jokes or Dark Id's meta commentary

:mediocre:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoubleCakes posted:

I could give it a shot. I don't care for jokes or Dark Id's meta commentary and I want to hear Xenogears legendary score but I should also prioritize cutting down on the time investment.

You're in luck, because he posts links to the score you can listen to while reading

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seriously. Someone needs to buy that smilie.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
With all those avatars you haven't bought for people, surely you have enough money saved up by now.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does anyone have a good, somewhat serious LP of Until Dawn?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't care for jokes or Dark Id's meta commentary

What in the hell are you doing here, then?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Sociopastry posted:

Well,there aren't any good serious LP's that I know of, but the Super Best Friends' LP is pretty fun. They even somehow get the best ending. It also isn't facecam,which helps.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You're in luck, because he posts links to the score you can listen to while reading

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What in the hell are you doing here, then?

It's okay to have different opinions, guys.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Unless they're wrong

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JordanKai posted:

I was genuinely just trying to tell him that he at least gets to listen to the score if he reads TDI's LP. :shrug:

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

I found the Scary Game Squad LP pretty acceptable:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

Minimal Youtube LPer bullshit, no facecam, decent quality video and they were pretty thorough. I found the Super Best Friends too obnoxious to continue with but YMMV.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Any good LPs/streams of the Nioh Beta? Haven't got enough time to really play it myself but I'm interested in seeing stuff I won't have time for.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

malkav11 posted:

I found the Scary Game Squad LP pretty acceptable:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

Minimal Youtube LPer bullshit, no facecam, decent quality video and they were pretty thorough. I found the Super Best Friends too obnoxious to continue with but YMMV.

Thank you very much! The SBF one was a little too ah... enthusiastic, for my tastes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm trying to find the "no hero" run of Zelda: Twilight Princess or really any Twilight Princess run that's good.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

does anyone have a link to the liberal crime squad lp?

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

These LPs are seriously phenomenal and worth checking out if you haven't already. Major major props to Melth for these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

That first one singlehandedly turned around my opinion on the ranking criteria on FE7. I have a special appreciation for LPs that can get neck-deep in balance stuff like this; it seriously gave me new appreciation of the game.