Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

OAquinas posted:

Thing is, they got a ton of support, even got some of those fancy militias that use skulls and guns for logos to come out. The Bundys were unwilling to give up control and share the spotlight, though, so most of them left (and any members that stayed ran like hell after the traffic stop).

Yeah this was an interesting thing about the Occupation, more than one large militia group came out and Ammon wasn't even willing to let these guys be like lieutenants or run their own people. This whole thing was about Ammon's inflated ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SocketWrench posted:

Then to top it off they had the mouthiest pussy ever playing news reporter being all big and bad when he knew no one would resort to violence and ran at the first sign of the trouble he'd been stirring for a month. Eat a dick Santilli, you should be in prison just as long as all of the Bundys

A more accurate description could not be made.

That's not quite accurate. Santilli went into panic mode after the traffic stop, and basically livestreamed his rear end trying to figure out what's going on. He went back to the refuge to try and talk down one of the more crazy leaders left who wasn't answering his phone anymore (and who had bugged out by this point) and get any remaining kids out of there. So kudos for him for not being an absolute shitlord in that regard.

Of course, he runs into the police blockade of the refuge, tries to play the "first amendment/innocent reporter" card, and gets arrested due to his totally not being a reporter about this and Bunkerville.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, they can (and will) remove disruptive people from the courtroom if it happens during the trial, and they can be assigned (yes, assigned) jailtime and fines if the judge feels it's appropriate. Likewise when they ignore the rulings of the court. Considering the level of authority the judge has on this, contempt of court is a supremely dumb thing to gently caress with

Not really sure what threats of fines/jail time are going to do to folks who either know deep down that they're never getting out, or are convinced those threats are meaningless because the justice system is an illusion

Suppose they could be forced to watch their own trials via livestream from their cells, that'd be fun

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Alkydere posted:

Basically what I was saying was that these guys really were in LARP territory, they just didn't know it/admit it to themselves. Wrapped in a coddling blanket of white privilege, they never really had someone come down on them and force them real harm. Suddenly their leader is dead and they realize that the authorities really aren't on their side but also these guys have armored cars, snipers, drone support (mostly in the form of cameras but these hicks were probably thinking airstrikes) etc. and are playing for keeps.

It was quite a wake-up call to the morons because until then they'd been allowed to get away with so much poo poo, even before Malheur, because they were white. Not just the Bundies, but a lot of the rural yokels that followed them kept getting "boys will be boys" treatment from local law enforcement and really hated the Feds because they only got in trouble when Big Brother realized what they were doing and told them to knock it off. So they already think that a good chunk of law enforcement is on their side. Mix this with the Feds playing the long game, backing off and only coming down on idiots who do something really stupid (like driving off of the nature preserve with stolen vehicles to pick up groceries). To many of these morons it was a confirmation of their belief that they had at least quiet support in the enemy camp.

Then the Feds swoop down, capture all the leaders, gun down Finnicum and all of a sudden these fuckwits realize poo poo's real, this isn't a party anymore and being at home looks a lot safer now. This ain't no party, the Feds never had any quiet support for them and now they're bringing down the hammer of indiscriminate justice. Maybe I should go home and hug my baby girl instead?

It's still absolutely hilarious/pathetic that these guys were such pussies, and many are still likely in denial about it. It was also a good thing as it prevented the occupation from being the bloodbath these guys said they wanted when they realized that the FBI wasn't going to advance in formation using muzzle-loading muskets to be easily gunned down and was instead gonna show up with helicopter and armored car support.

Yeah. These guys spent their lives wrapped up in mythology that made them think they were invincible, heroic freedom warriors until they believed it. They never faced any adversity and were insulated from the consequences of their actions thanks to their skin color and money. They were riding high when they took over an empty bird sanctuary, but completely fell apart when an actual challenge came because they couldn't comprehend such a thing. They were overgrown children playing pretend who finally got to see what happens when they anger the grown-ups too much.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Trial logistics: https://www.scribd.com/document/322196743/Court-Specifics-re-Bundy-trial

I wish we could get a livestream but it seems like that won't happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ansel autisms posted:

Trial logistics: https://www.scribd.com/document/322196743/Court-Specifics-re-Bundy-trial

I wish we could get a livestream but it seems like that won't happen.

Courtroom 13A will be available to the public, including media representatives, for observation of all trial proceedings via live audio and video feed.

They had to limit the amount of people who can actually sit in the trial courtroom because they expanded the jury box and the area for attorneys and defendants, but there will be live audio and video in another courtroom and I have no doubt that there will be some sort of internet stream. Even if they don't rebroadcast the exact video, we'll have at worst a running twitter of everything that happens.

Edit: Upon further reading they'll confiscate electronic devices including smartwatches from observers in both court rooms, so we'll just get a swarm of updates every break. Additionally, observers in the second court room can come and go freely. If there's anything breaking, someone will step out and tweet it.

Mr. Nice! has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Aug 26, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mirthless posted:

Yeah this was an interesting thing about the Occupation, more than one large militia group came out and Ammon wasn't even willing to let these guys be like lieutenants or run their own people. This whole thing was about Ammon's inflated ego.

I remember reading about the split right after Bundy Ranch on JJ's Twitter. They couldn't even keep it together after that, why would they keep it together when it "mattered"?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
How would you even discreetly record something with a smartwatch? Holding your fist up makes you look like you're stuck mid fist-pump. Actually holding the watch with your fingers makes it more obvious. I guess you'd have to pretend to pick your nose for two hours, but you could do that with a spy watch too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cumshitter posted:

How would you even discreetly record something with a smartwatch? Holding your fist up makes you look like you're stuck mid fist-pump. Actually holding the watch with your fingers makes it more obvious. I guess you'd have to pretend to pick your nose for two hours, but you could do that with a spy watch too.

I'm pretty sure there are apps for both android and apple watches that can record sound.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think the only person who'd fancy drawing attention to their spy watch is the retard acorn pimp guy

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

cumshitter posted:

Lean forward, elbow on the chair on front of you and chin leaning on your raised hand.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Lean forward, elbow on the chair on front of you and chin leaning on your raised hand.

Sorta like this
:allears:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tayter Swift posted:

Not really sure what threats of fines/jail time are going to do to folks who either know deep down that they're never getting out

Reminds me of this, in which an inmate who was pretty much guaranteed to die in prison already for a prior conviction was accused of murdering another inmate and appeared in court for a preliminary hearing.

Snippet of court transcript posted:

Durham: I’m finding you in contempt of court.

Allen: I don’t care.

Durham: I know you don’t. And I sentence you to twenty days for that. And if you say anything else, I’m going to add twenty days for everything you say.

Allen: gently caress you.

Durham: Forty days.

Allen: gently caress you again.

Durham: Sixty

Allen: Go gently caress yourself.

Durham: A year.

Allen: Your mamma.

Durham: Ten years.

Allen: Suck my dick.

Durham: You prefer men, right?

Allen: I gently caress white-white boys.

Durham: You-oh, oh, white or black?

Allen: White boys.

Durham: Oh. Butt boys?

Allen: With big butts.

Durham: Oh, of course. You know, you look like a queer.

Allen: Well, okay. So now you’re calling me a queer in the courtroom.

Durham: I didn’t call you one. I said you looked like one.

Allen: I’ll make sure the next time I come to court-

Durham: I-

Allen: I’ll pull it out and jack on you.

Durham: Okay. Why don’t you do that right now?

Allen: I jack on white boys-

Durham: Why don’t you do it right now?

Allen: -just like I jack on females.

Durham: Do it now.

Allen: I can’t do it now.

Durham: Do it now.

Allen: I ain’t got-I ain’t got but-

Durham: I don’t care.

Allen: Take off the cuffs

Durham: How many hands do you have to have to do it?

Allen: Take off the cuffs

Durham: Come on-no. Jack off.

Allen: This is kangaroo court.

Durham: Come on. Jack off.

Allen: This is-this is a kangaroo court.

Durham: Jack off right now.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Geoj posted:

Reminds me of this, in which an inmate who was pretty much guaranteed to die in prison already for a prior conviction was accused of murdering another inmate and appeared in court for a preliminary hearing.
I'm about to make your day.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If that's the Rick & Morty video based on the transcript it's worth the 10 minutes...

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

OAquinas posted:

He went back to the refuge to try and talk down one of the more crazy leaders left who wasn't answering his phone anymore (and who had bugged out by this point) and get any remaining kids out of there.

Considering that a good portion of this poo poo was because of him, this is what I see as rear end covering. He realized that this poo poo could explode and he had a big role in why. so now it's time to backpedal and try to get everyone to run away rather than follow the very rhetoric he'd been spewing, very very loudly, since the get go

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Awwwww. I didnt know that guy from the breakfast club in real life, was already a lifer. Now its just the judge being exasperated and ineffectual.

Lame.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

SocketWrench posted:

Considering that a good portion of this poo poo was because of him, this is what I see as rear end covering. He realized that this poo poo could explode and he had a big role in why. so now it's time to backpedal and try to get everyone to run away rather than follow the very rhetoric he'd been spewing, very very loudly, since the get go

Probably a good chunk of that, yeah. Only it was way, way too late for that.

The 150-vehicle FBI convoy was coming.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I want Rick and Morty to do this trial like they did the Georgia one

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
We'lol probably have to settle for squid bullies

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alan Smithee posted:

This would also be acceptable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I would love to hear unknown Hinson as Ammon Bundy.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mors Rattus posted:

I think my favorites were the literal weekend warriors. 'We're here to support you but we have to be out of here by nine, I got work in the morning and can't miss it and my wife's gotta take the kids to soccer.'

My favorite was the " I'd be there with you to fight the Federal Government but my Disability check was late and I can't afford the gas" guy.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My favorite was the " I'd be there with you to fight the Federal Government but my Disability check was late and I can't afford the gas" guy.

Seems to be a common theme. Ammon took out a federal loan before this started. A few there that I know of were getting government kickbacks because they raised foster kids.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Here's a better version of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vN_PEmeKb0

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Here's a better version of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkFaIxpbHvM

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Alan Smithee posted:

any individual bundy loving wishes they were half the badass early cuyler is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't know, I think the black and white adds a "courtroom reporter sketch from 100 years ago" quality that made me subconsciously think of Inherit the Wind for some reason which made it way funnier

This then made me imagine Spencer Tracy saying these things which is even better :3:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

OAquinas posted:

Of course, he runs into the police blockade of the refuge, tries to play the "first amendment/innocent reporter" card, and gets arrested due to his totally not being a reporter about this and Bunkerville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8KeeIW5eMM

It's the best video out of the whole drat refuge saga. David Fry was crazy and sad, the Finnicum shooting was... well, a man getting shot, but this is just pure loving schadenfreude aimed at one of the biggest sacks of poo poo out there.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:/

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I guess you could lean forward and record video with the watch but I still maintain that picking your nose gives your wrist the freedom of movement needed to capture tracking shots, dramatic zooms, etc. Just say you're there to support Ammon and the bailiffs won't question a day long digit dive for gold.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Murderion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8KeeIW5eMM

It's the best video out of the whole drat refuge saga. David Fry was crazy and sad, the Finnicum shooting was... well, a man getting shot, but this is just pure loving schadenfreude aimed at one of the biggest sacks of poo poo out there.

One day I'll learn not to scroll down on youtube....those loving sovcit comments...uhg

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
does anybody else keep parsing sovcit as soviet

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

It's usually what my phone's autocorrect tries to replace it with.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Considering how much they fetishize Putin...

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

One day I'll learn not to scroll down on youtube....those loving sovcit comments...uhg

They're wonderfully delusional.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/AP/status/770031344554483712
This is going to be good. Though if she succeeds gently caress everything forever.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It'll be funny asking her or anybody sympathetic to this suit how they feel about the families of slain black youths suing their local PD

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/770031344554483712
This is going to be good. Though if she succeeds gently caress everything forever.

That one guy that hid the fact that he had shot at the car might be enough to gently caress this up in her favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

That one guy that hid the fact that he had shot at the car might be enough to gently caress this up in her favor

Is there any theory on why he covered that up? I don't see how firing at that point wasn't justified.