Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Can Black Death happen multiple times per game now? Its 1100ish in my current game and its coming down the silk road fast and as far as I can tell I'm the only person in the world building hospitals. Anyway it will be a bit of a pisser if it happens again in 200 odd years if its as wild as it looked in previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Goofballs posted:

Can Black Death happen multiple times per game now? Its 1100ish in my current game and its coming down the silk road fast and as far as I can tell I'm the only person in the world building hospitals. Anyway it will be a bit of a pisser if it happens again in 200 odd years if its as wild as it looked in previews.

It depends on what setting you choose when you start the game.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm continuing a game that was going on prepatch so I guess I'm on whatever the defaults are?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Lord Banana posted:

I have a weird issue, I'm playing as Duke of Sicily from the earliest start date, so I'm a vassal to Byzantium. My first ruler died and everything inherited to my son, my new ruler has a son but the duchy is going to be inherited by the Emperor. I have the right laws for things to pass to my primary heir so I don't understand why this is happening. Any help to stop this happening?
Are you sure it's not just viceroyalty?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
One of my vassals has two castrated sons but it doesn't seem like he castrated them. Is there any way to find out how the gently caress this happened cause I'm really curious now

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Adun posted:

One of my vassals has two castrated sons but it doesn't seem like he castrated them. Is there any way to find out how the gently caress this happened cause I'm really curious now

Probably captured by a rebellious vassal/peer during a siege in a civil war.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

My butt cancer survivor finally died. Of more cancer :smith:

The heir was his devil spawn child who rapidly accumulated many bad traits, turned werewolf, looked at the stars, studied the Necronomicon, killed his half-brother's wife and both sons while suppressing a rebellion, converted to Fraticelli, and turned out gay around the time he hit 40.

The wife looks like she's seen some poo poo

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Goofballs posted:

From what I understand, it does the full Black Death experience only once, but can flare up again on a smaller scale later on.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Adun posted:

Some treatments can also castrate you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

Some treatments can also castrate you.

Please tell me your physician can give you the full Varys and try and heal you by throwing parts in a fire.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think I'd manage to make a ruler even more reprehensible than Emperor Gouges Out Eyes of Infants, but I did. I held the Kingdom of Greece as the Byzantine Emperor, which due to some inheritance fuckery led to it and 90% demesne being inherited by a random Breton, in between in two Jihads (Sunni and Shia) for my lands (Joan of Arc also appeared, incidentally). My attempts to get y ancestral back as soon possible spiralled into tyranny and madness. While hiding out from one epidemic, a courtier sneaked into the pantry and I became a cannibal. Revolts are constant(ine), and I've eaten almost every Duke in the realm, in addition to two Exarchs. I named by youngest son Snack, but he ran away when time came to serve his duty. They grow up so fast.

Long story short:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Is that plot being backed by a horse?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Goofballs posted:

I'm continuing a game that was going on prepatch so I guess I'm on whatever the defaults are?

Pre-patch games work? Great news, I really didn't want to abandon my old game but the new stuff looks amazing. Hopefully Sketchy Traits, Random Hordes and that one where you can build more stuff for your castle work, too.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Is it just me that no longer gets notifications when my children come of age or have children themselves? I'm finding it kind of annoying that I have to periodically check my children to see if my lineage is secure or find out my child has grown up because he's asking for a title.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Honky Dong Country posted:

Is that plot being backed by a horse?

Yes, yes it is. Glitterhoof knows he's next on the menu.

:allears: never change CK2

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Watch glitterhoof get rear end cancer and the court physician jam a bunch of leeches down his urethra, and it works.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
One thing I really wish this game wouldn't do is reset all the message settings to defaults every time it patches.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've just been blinded... which makes me a cruel paranoid blinded disfigured Joan of Arc -eating cannibal lunatic mystic kinslayer ex-Emperor with the Necronomicon and syphilis. And I'm called "Duchess" for some reason despite being a man.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Dwesa posted:

Are you sure it's not just viceroyalty?

No, when my first ruler died everything passed to my son correctly, but now I'm getting a warning that I'll lose my duchy, and it says it's going to the Emperor.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

So horses can be made to take the vows.

Note the headgear.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honky Dong Country posted:

So horses can be made to take the vows.

Note the headgear.

Clearly instead of fixing this the devs need to just make horse-specific graphics for it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I keep imagining the look on the face of Mother Superior at the convent and it's making me giggle like an idiot.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So i was just wondering what the gently caress happened with Conclave and its use reviews? I get that people didn't like the coalition and shattered retreat mechanics but there seemed to be something else upsetting people? Like I heard the expansion utterly botched up the education system or something.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Mostly just standard mad gamer vote brigading. The education system is unquestionably better, it's just less easy to game the outcomes.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Lord Banana posted:

No, when my first ruler died everything passed to my son correctly, but now I'm getting a warning that I'll lose my duchy, and it says it's going to the Emperor.

The Duchy of Sicily is a viceroyalty at the Charlemange and Old Gods starts.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Alikchi posted:

Mostly just standard mad gamer vote brigading. The education system is unquestionably better, it's just less easy to game the outcomes.

Technically it's also less "interactive" but the old education system was hardly a model of innovative exciting gameplay either so IDK.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

vyelkin posted:

One thing I really wish this game wouldn't do is reset all the message settings to defaults every time it patches.

Quotin' this.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SkySteak posted:

So i was just wondering what the gently caress happened with Conclave and its use reviews? I get that people didn't like the coalition and shattered retreat mechanics but there seemed to be something else upsetting people? Like I heard the expansion utterly botched up the education system or something.

People are idiots and democracy no longer works.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Conclave is extremely cool, like every other DLC that adds new mechanics.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Alikchi posted:

I would agree except for the new system so frequently producing characters with 0 to 2 traits.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would agree except for the new system so frequently producing characters with 0 to 2 traits.

Also making it really expensive to give your heir good traits. If you want him to be ambitious he'll hate you for it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

axeil posted:

Also making it really expensive to give your heir good traits. If you want him to be ambitious he'll hate you for it.

Willful and Haughty children can become Ambitious with the right tutor.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

How long does the 'failed prepared invasion' modifier last? I can't reform because the AI failed 2 of them which dropped the moral authority down by 10%.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Swedish Horror posted:

How long does the 'failed prepared invasion' modifier last? I can't reform because the AI failed 2 of them which dropped the moral authority down by 10%.

The files say 20 years.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SkySteak posted:

It totally changed the education system and the new one is really boring and dumb.

actually here's an idea: a game rule where you can have Conclave turned on but not use the Conclave education system because it's dumb

Alikchi posted:

The education system is unquestionably better

haha what the gently caress, what criteria are you using for "better"?

It's literally just "press whichever button corresponds to the stat you want" now, it's dumb as gently caress and lacks any depth whatsoever. The old one could be "gamed"(which is a loving ridiculous complaint in a largely singleplayer game, by the way) in that if you had good stats you could just teach your own kids and they would also probably have good stats but that required you to have good stats, and good in the way that you wanted your kid's stats to be. Otherwise there was a fair bit of depth and nuance in who you got to teach your kid that is now entirely gone and replaced with clicking a loving button once.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 26, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Prism posted:

From what I understand, it does the full Black Death experience only once, but can flare up again on a smaller scale later on.

This run was pretty hardcore. The upside was no one wanted to declare war anywhere, the last ruler died at a weirdly young age more or less as the poo poo was approaching the fan and I got the chick I was intending to suddenly imprison and execute because she was just that awful.

Walton Simons posted:

Pre-patch games work? Great news, I really didn't want to abandon my old game but the new stuff looks amazing. Hopefully Sketchy Traits, Random Hordes and that one where you can build more stuff for your castle work, too.

Seems to work fine, more or less. It was the second time I loaded up the game that all the features like hire court physician worked, previously I had stuff like the epidemic map not not other stuff. Seems to have preserved the iron man status too.

I'm not such a fan of conclave education because I made god children more reliably before. Like gently caress it if I shouldn't able to do that. Lately I've seen kids lose their genius status. Like gently caress conclave for that alone in ironman. You are tossing wads of prestige away to get the genetic material to make that work and then suddenly oh he's just shrewd now, gently caress you

On the pluside this dlc you have a lot of darth vader motherfuckers running around.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 26, 2016

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Constant god kings are boring, the game is more fun if you get chumped down to vassalage every now and then

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Swedish Horror posted:

Try burning some churches. You get a 1% MA bonus for sacking temples of other religions and as Vikings you can sail to Rome for like 5 in one county that are basically unprotected.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If I culture swap out ofthe Celtic group can I keep Tanistry succession? One time I elected a non-breton and it switched to gavelkind and I'm woried about that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I was thinking of buying this on steam. It is 10 bucks, or 40 with FORTY TWO EXPANSIONS. How much value do they add to the game? There is also DLC too, the reaper stuff and Plate Mail. What do you guys recommend I get if I can't afford the whole ridiculous bundle?

• Locked thread