Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
With the rail laying pathfinding of .13, landfills, and the other QOL changes they made, I'd agree that at least one good stock run through the game again is warranted.

Though I'll agree that long reach cuts a fair amount of tedium. Autofill is great, but can make it a little cheap to clear out Biters, as you can just gun-turret bomb a nest to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I wouldn't recommend getting mods at the very beginning. I played a few vanilla games and then got mods that I felt would suit me well.

I've gotten fully back into the swing of this game and it's amazing. RSO is brilliant. I'm a bit scared though cause I've only got about 100,000 stone and I can't seem to find any other deposits. I want to build one huge enclosing wall to protect my base as biter nests spawn so sporadically and come from all directions. Then I have to worry about being able to build enough rails to actually let my trains get to any new stone deposits I find.

I'm eventually going to have to build a brand new, huge smelting facility to keep up with production. It's great.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loopoo posted:

I'm eventually going to have to build a brand new, huge smelting facility to keep up with production. It's great.

I started a new RSO game with a friend of mine, and I'm really looking forward to getting trains running and creating a huge factory for producing rockets! It's gonna be so much fun.

You're better off smelting ore locally instead of shipping it if you're using trains, by the way. Ore is limited to stacks of 50 while plates stack to 100, so you can fit twice as much into one cargo wagon.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
On the other hand, more pollution in outposts instead of concentrating it in your hell-factory. Plus needing some sort of fuel if you aren't using electric furnaces. Trains are non-pollution producing so putting more of them on the tracks has very little trade off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

On the other hand, more pollution in outposts instead of concentrating it in your hell-factory. Plus needing some sort of fuel if you aren't using electric furnaces. Trains are non-pollution producing so putting more of them on the tracks has very little trade off.
By the time you're quibbling about train throughput, you are using fully moduled electric furnaces

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I pretty much only play on peaceful mode anyway, since otherwise biters are just an annoying distraction from the important business of factory building.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

With the rail laying pathfinding of .13, landfills, and the other QOL changes they made, I'd agree that at least one good stock run through the game again is warranted.

Though I'll agree that long reach cuts a fair amount of tedium. Autofill is great, but can make it a little cheap to clear out Biters, as you can just gun-turret bomb a nest to death.

Long reach is nice, but once I learned I could just Shift+Click to place items and my construction bots would place them for me, the only place it's really useful now is the very beginning when you're trying to manage multiple furnaces and don't have coal belted to everything. Placing buildings can still be a pain early game, but by the time I'm really getting tired of it I've almost unlocked drones anyway.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Warm up your Steam, 0.13.18 is ready.

quote:

FactorioBot » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Changes
Changed train wait conditions to use standard boolean precedence for evaluation, instead of a simple left to right accumulative evaluation.
Balancing
Increased tank machine gun range to 20.
Bugfixes
Fixed console command warning not sticking through save-load. (31132)
Fixed that vehicle machine guns would show in the logistics request and inventory filter selections.
Fixed crash when number animation variations of unit-spawner entity is reduced. (31205)
Fixed clearing blueprints didn't clear the label. (28610)
Fixed crash when removing entities that had active alerts. (31247)
Fixed that sending random garbage to the RCON port could crash Factorio. (31185)
Fixed GUI size issues with modded recipes that have a ton of effects. (30654)
Fixed script errors with tight spot level 5. (29724)
Fixed the market entity not migrating/handling removed items it was offering. (30875)
Fixed sound settings not applying when pressing escape. (30319)
Fixed a crash that would happen after changing UI scale with the inventory open. (30983)
Fixed deconstruction would reset the build rotation value. (31466)
Fixed copy-paste between inventory sizes applying the inventory restriction oddly. (31473)
fixed game.regenerate_entitiy() not working at all. (31470)
Fixed that it was possible to create an assembling machine with zero energy usage. (31465)
Modding
Fixed crash when trying to connect wires to entities with 0 wire connection distance. (31499)
Scripting
Fixed LuaSurface::map_gen_settings.shift not working. (31143)
Fixed chunk positions would get improperly rounded instead of floored. (31092)
Added LuaConstantCombinatorControlBehavior::enabled read/write.
Added upper limit to resolution parameter of LuaGameScript::take_screenshot function. Limit for width and height is 16384.
Added LuaStyle::visible read/write.

Edit: missed it the first read - 0.13.18 has been promoted to stable. So 0.14 with the new MP code cannot be far off.

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 25, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Edit: missed it the first read - 0.13.18 has been promoted to stable. So 0.14 with the new MP code cannot be far off.

Is this why there are no more "beta" options in Steam? Will people automatically install 0.13.18 if they install Factorio?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loopoo posted:

I wouldn't recommend getting mods at the very beginning. I played a few vanilla games and then got mods that I felt would suit me well.

I've gotten fully back into the swing of this game and it's amazing. RSO is brilliant. I'm a bit scared though cause I've only got about 100,000 stone and I can't seem to find any other deposits. I want to build one huge enclosing wall to protect my base as biter nests spawn so sporadically and come from all directions. Then I have to worry about being able to build enough rails to actually let my trains get to any new stone deposits I find.

I've messed around with trains a good while ago. Is there a reason from a productivity perspective why multiple belts wouldn't be more efficient and easier to manage?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

MeLKoR posted:

I've messed around with trains a good while ago. Is there a reason from a productivity perspective why multiple belts wouldn't be more efficient and easier to manage?

Trains are more cost effective and easier to modify for income from new mineral patches. Rather than having to use the lubricant and massive iron costs for express belts, tracks only require iron and stone. Signals only need circuits and iron.

Laying down track also takes up less time and space than the roughly equivalent four-or-so tile wide path. With auto-track-layer mods like FARL or a good blueprint set, it's little more than a quick jaunt to set up a railyard, but doing it manually is still much better than belts.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can also use a train system as an automated tram for fast travel, and for automated resupply of outposts. It's much more flexible.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah when something goes wrong in that really far away mining outpost its much faster to take a train there than it is to walk or drive. You can just drop one in the tracks, put some wood in and blast off.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Furthermore, trains are cool.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Solumin posted:

Is this why there are no more "beta" options in Steam? Will people automatically install 0.13.18 if they install Factorio?

Looks like it.

Oh boy, 14.0 experimental now.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh buoy i need to check that poo poo OUT.
Maybe that'll solve the gosh darn 4-bug.

If someone wants to check out the multiplayer improvements i will be running a game at my server
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777542&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post460296714

Well it is a touch too bugged for that. Hold onto yer britches

Regallion fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 26, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The 0.14 release notes have a wee nugget in them

quote:

FactorioBot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:26 am

Features
Fixed multiplayer
1) Internal reliability and stability improvements.
2) Players don't have to wait for other clients to download and load the game.
3) Decreased network traffic.
4) It is possible to use menu and quit the game when connecting to the game.
5) Server doesn't stop/slow down the game when some client is too slow, stops communicating or saves the game longer than the server.
6) Players automatically quit game after 3 desyncs.
7) Download speed tweaks.
Added /team command that messages all players from the same force.
Minor Features
When selecting inventory filters the filter is automatically set to the item in the cursor if any.
Changes
Disabled loading of saves before 0.11.0 version (You can use 0.11.22 to load older saves and re-save them).
Removed the option to enable/disable latency hiding, it is always on on clients (and off on the server).
Bugfixes
Factorio shouldn't crash anymore when Direct3D device is lost due to locking screen or entering sleep mode.
Modding
Added support for equipment grids in cars, tanks, locomotives, and cargo wagons.
Changed equipment grids to work as protoypes: defined and referenced by things that use them.
Changed equipment and equipment grids to have categories that define what equipment can go in what equipment grid.
Scripting
Fixed game freeze when an error was thrown during the player left game event.
Removed LuaItemStack::has_grid.
Removed LuaItemPrototype::equipment_grid_size.
Changed LauItemStack::grid to return nil if the item doesn't have a grid.
Added LuaItemPrototype::equipment_grid.
Added LuaEntity::grid read.
Added Added LuaEquipmentGridPrototype.
Added LuaEquipmentGrid::prototype read.
Added LuaEquipmentPrototype::equipment_categories read.
Added LauForce::unchart_chunk()

This should allow mods to let vehicles use armour, power supplies, roboports etc.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can someone mod a factorissimo car/train yet

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So that means that if you have enough resources, you could run solar-powered trains! :sun:

Better yet, what'd be REALLY awesome is if you can just throw a whole bunch of batteries into it and run the whole thing like an electric locomotive. Hook the stations up to your main grid, limit the draw to what the individual draw of the batteries are, times the number of batteries...

Better yet, I could see an expansion to FARL that'd allow you to lay an in or out ore station, too. Technically you could already do this, but this would mean you wouldn't even have to leave the train! Oh the possibilities...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Nuclear powered trains would be awesome and also overkill, probably. But a better question: can you give them exoskeletons?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Man I would settle for just being able to read the contents of train cars.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Full base perimeter track + exoskeleton "legs" + solar trains = large-entity particle shield

Never use turrets again! Just maul everything that nears your base with fifteen endlessly circling automotives, each moving at 0.1c!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
So when are we getting the spider mech? Full release?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zomborgon posted:

Full base perimeter track + exoskeleton "legs" + solar trains = large-entity particle shield

Never use turrets again! Just maul everything that nears your base with fifteen endlessly circling automotives, each moving at 0.1c!
Speed has never really been the problem with a train perimeter defense although it would probably make sync issues less apparent. The bigger issue is that if it keeps bugs out it will keep the player in because trains don't care who they run over.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
They posted an update of the 0.15/0.16 plans now that 0.14 is out.

quote:

Update (26. August 2016): We have just released 0.14, so we updated the roadmap to show our plans for 0.15 and partially also for 0.16 (which will become 1.0 when stabilised).

Not everything we want to do is there, basically the main points. Also we can't guarantee we will be able to implement everything we mentioned (golden rule: everything takes longer than expected).

Factorio 0.15
Planned:

Nuclear power
Blueprint preservation (Export/import blueprints)
Update optimizations (belts + pipes)
Multithreaded update (This is the first experiment with that, only some entities will get multithreaded update, we will probably improve it later on)
Liquid wagon + universal barrelling
High res graphics introduction (This means just some parts of the game will be in high res in this version)
New terrain
Gui reskin and possible improvements
Circuit network improvements and optimisations
Allow loading games with different mod settings (and automatically download the mods if necessary)

Maybe:

Scenario pack extension
Surprise with 8-10 legs
Interactive mini tutorials

Factorio 0.16 (This is planned to become 1.0 when stabilised)
Planned:

Dirty mining. (Way to get more resources from mining posts at a cost of additional industry, logistics requirements and investment)
More high res stuff

Hell yes. So much good stuff planned for 0.15, here's hoping it all gets in.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

quote:

Surprise with 8-10 legs

I can't wait for the spider mech.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

So when are we getting the spider mech? Full release?

quote:

Maybe:

Scenario pack extension
Surprise with 8-10 legs
Interactive mini tutorials

Well, that was a fun coincidence.

Aww yeah, dirty mining sounds like a great way to jazz up mineral production! I hope it's more than just "+prod, +pollution;" I'm thinking something like getting two-for-one mining with waste materials. It would be neat if waste became something you had to find storage solutions for up to midgame, then could get techs to recycle it into useful material.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 26, 2016

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

quote:

Blueprint preservation (Export/import blueprints)
Liquid wagon + universal barrelling

Yes! These are the two biggest features I've been waiting for in vanilla at this point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its kind of weird that if they wanted blueprint sharing it has waited this long considering how robust the mod has been despite updates, doubly weird if the bar is lowered to locally because blueprints are already saved in the save game. But liquid bulk transport getting into the inner workings and not just modded in will be awesome.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Banana Man posted:

Can someone mod a factorissimo car/train yet

Then you can reenact snowpiercer.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
And the FFF for this week went up. It just really talks about the 0.14 release and their plans plus request for suggestions about equipment in vehicles.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-153

They had 67 players in one game when they tested internally on Wednesday so the outlook is good.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

Its kind of weird that if they wanted blueprint sharing it has waited this long considering how robust the mod has been despite updates, doubly weird if the bar is lowered to locally because blueprints are already saved in the save game. But liquid bulk transport getting into the inner workings and not just modded in will be awesome.

It's interesting that they're adding both rail tankers and universal barreling. It seems to me that rail tankers are usually the better option, since you don't have to worry about creating, filling and emptying barrels. On the other hand, barrels can be carried by logistics robots.

All those features sound really great, I'm looking forward to it! I'm going to stay away from 0.14 until at least 0.14.1 or .2, I think, and let the worst of the bugs get ironed out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Solumin posted:

It's interesting that they're adding both rail tankers and universal barreling. It seems to me that rail tankers are usually the better option, since you don't have to worry about creating, filling and emptying barrels. On the other hand, barrels can be carried by logistics robots.

All those features sound really great, I'm looking forward to it! I'm going to stay away from 0.14 until at least 0.14.1 or .2, I think, and let the worst of the bugs get ironed out.
We'll see how the balance works out but the framework is there for barrels to be the higher density option since currently physical inventory space is a clown car compared to the liquid tanks currently in game. Also opportunities for cargo mixing with barrels, where a tank car is one and only flavor of liquid, where you can potentially mix barrels on a train car even if its against most people's normal train car MO.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How do you guys set up your train unloading?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

How do you guys set up your train unloading?

Six Stack Inserters on each side of each wagon shoveling directly in to Logistic Active Provider chests, with the entire train stop surrounded by plentiful Logistic Storage chests and robo-ports to keep the lil' helpers fueled. The robo ports at the train shouldn't be connected to the larger logistic network; they should be focused 100% on shoveling poo poo out of the train and in to the logistic storage chests, and from the logistic storage in to Logistic Requesters that'll fill belts of materials going away from the train stop.

To be honest, that's kind of overkill most of the time, but it's the ideal.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Once the tankers and equipment grid stuff is in, I hope someone makes a mini-flame turret that can be mounted on tankers full of fuel to incinerate passing biters. Or a turret that uses sulfuric acid; I always produce way more of the stuff than I actually need and melting some biters would be nice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Six Stack Inserters on each side of each wagon shoveling directly in to Logistic Active Provider chests, with the entire train stop surrounded by plentiful Logistic Storage chests and robo-ports to keep the lil' helpers fueled. The robo ports at the train shouldn't be connected to the larger logistic network; they should be focused 100% on shoveling poo poo out of the train and in to the logistic storage chests, and from the logistic storage in to Logistic Requesters that'll fill belts of materials going away from the train stop.

To be honest, that's kind of overkill most of the time, but it's the ideal.

So I found this picture, I assume that's basically what you're talking about? Is there any good way to load balance the unloading stations? Can you just name all 4 lanes in this example "offload" and the trains will just go to the first open one?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah stations can share names. I'm not exactly sure how the trains pick what station to go to. I think they pick whichever one is closest, but if they get stuck at a light, they switch to another one after a little bit. So make sure you use chain thoughtfully to keep your trains from backing up.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

So I found this picture, I assume that's basically what you're talking about?
Yes.

Azhais posted:

Is there any good way to load balance the unloading stations?
Yes: don't bother. Maybe down the line you can balance the different lanes but don't worry about it at the train station.

Azhais posted:

Can you just name all 4 lanes in this example "offload" and the trains will just go to the first open one?
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also that's a really old picture. The basics haven't changed but the specifics have, there are now high capacity inserters is the biggest change relevant.

Also I don't understand the point of all those yellow chests in that picture. When you unload into red chests, the items stay there until another chest (like those blue ones) requests it. If the cars emptied into purple chests, logistics bots would immediately move the items into the yellow chests, at which point request from blue chests would be fulfilled from the yellow chests. I think that may be another sign of how old that picture is, because that could have been waaaay back before purple chests and when red chests acted like purple chests do now.