Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Needs some Klasse and Collinite combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
SCA and Adiabatic I love learning this stuff please keep posting.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

Needs some Klasse and Collinite combo.

The wife has plans for the teak. I'll tell him to post here about it so you two can swap war stories :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm terrified of open water.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I just answered my next question with this picture:

Half this poo poo is just "hurr durr what dumb questions have I not thought of yet" :haw:

edit: $100-$200 for 50' of jib sheet line? THE REGRET BEGINS

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 26, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Large-handed folks: what kinda gloves do you wear while wrenching? I just ripped the tips of the XL Mechanix gloves open and don't feel like buying another pair of those that don't 100% fit anyway.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just nitrile/latex gloves cuz you can't feel anything with those heavy mechanix gloves

Only time I use a heavy cloth glove is for holding an impact driver and that's so it doesn't hurt as much when whacking my hand 🙃

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Great. I was on my way home and some fucker got into a car accident and took out to cellphone towers. Looks like I will be working all night.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Taken a few months ago :allears:

(she's got a flip phone tucked up into her headband)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

Same exact thing happened to a mate of mine

The best part was being explicitly told that moths do not actually fly into ears by everyone at the ER. And the condescending Doctor who acted like I was imagining the whole thing exclaiming HOLY poo poo when he did in fact pull a moth out of my ear.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Taken a few months ago :allears:

(she's got a flip phone tucked up into her headband)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Large-handed folks: what kinda gloves do you wear while wrenching? I just ripped the tips of the XL Mechanix gloves open and don't feel like buying another pair of those that don't 100% fit anyway.

I can't wear any gloves, because I can't tell what I'm doing or the glove snags on the parts/hardware I'm trying to manipulate.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Boozechat: made whiskey sours last night. I've only had whatever crap they make in bars with sour mix before. Used fresh lemon juice, and egg white too.

Easily my new favorite drink. So drat good.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Glove chat: I don't have very big hands but I like to wear nitrile gloves because I have weirdly delicate hands, my father has the paws of an asbestos bear but I did not inherit them.

Job chat: I started my application for my dream job about 3 months ago, I've been for an interview and taken a test but somehow they still have not finished with my application. :smith:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hmm, I should try non-glovin' it for a while. I bang my knuckles and get fingers pinched quite a bit but knuckles and skin grow back, right? :buddy:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

scuz posted:

Hmm, I should try non-glovin' it for a while. I bang my knuckles and get fingers pinched quite a bit but knuckles and skin grow back, right? :buddy:

Oreillys or bumper to bumper carrys raven nitrile gloves. There thing and can get sliced open. But there 100 to a box and only 10$ . also the horror freight has the black ones that are amazing and 9mil thick which is crazy but only 50 to a box and like 15$.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a hard time wearing those thin nitrile gloves as I seem to sweat awful in them and they become very uncomfortable. So I always seem to go bare-handed which I sort of prefer anyhow unless it's an awfully dirty job.

In other news, KFCs 11 herbs and spices recipe has supposedly been leaked... or has it?

quote:

The reporter was working on a story for the Tribune's travel section about Corbin, Ky., where the colonel served his first fried chicken. At one point, Ledington pulled out a family scrapbook containing the last will and testament of Sanders' second wife, Claudia Ledington.

On the back of the document is a handwritten list for a blend of 11 herbs and spices to be mixed with two cups of white flour. While Joe Ledington initially told the reporter that it was the original recipe, he later said that he didn't know for sure.

KFC — which is a subsidiary of Yum Brands Inc. — calls its recipe "one of the biggest trade secrets in the world." It says that the recipe the reporter saw is not the real thing.

"Many people have made these claims over the years and no one has been accurate — this one isn't either," KFC said in a statement.
For reference

quote:

11 spices — Mix with 2 cups white flour
1) 2/3 tablespoon salt
2) 1/2 tablespoon thyme
3) 1/2 tablespoon basil
4) 1/3 tablespoon oregano
5) 1 tablespoon celery salt
6) 1 tablespoon black pepper
7) 1 tablespoon dried mustard
8) 4 tablespoon paprika
9) 2 tablespoon garlic salt
10) 1 tablespoon ground ginger
11) 3 tablespoon white pepper
Someone make this and get back to me K?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
There's no MSG/other source of glutamates, and no dextrose, so that's almost certainly incorrect. It's probably a pretty passable approximation for the home gamer, though, lack of a pressure fryer being the main barrier to recreating KFC at home.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I dunno, those ingredients look accurate for a dude who turned a gas station into a chicken restaurant in 1940 (no seriously).

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
It probably bears no resemblance to what they use today, though. :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
True enough. In fact the people who tested this against the stuff that comes out of a KFC today said that all they had to do was add MSG and they could not tell the difference between the alleged recipe and the store-sourced stuff.

:ms:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Works for me! MSG makes basically everything with meat in it better. You can also just use a tiny bit of vegemite in your brine/whatever for that glutamate tang :3:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
There's an Asian market in town called United Noodles and they sell packets of just MSG. Next time I'm in there I'm gonna finally pick up a packet and try it on everything!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

There's an Asian market in town called United Noodles and they sell packets of just MSG. Next time I'm in there I'm gonna finally pick up a packet and try it on everything!

Packets? The one here sells it in jars like every other spice :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Packets? The one here sells it in jars like every other spice :v:

The packets are pretty big! Like 8oz or something.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The ginger is the only surprise in that list, to me.

-Chris

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hows the price on a PC with these specs:
i7-6700 / 3.4 Ghz
8GB RAM
SSD 120 GB
1TB HDD for media
GTX 1070

$1299.99

Yeah, I might be able to save a 100 bucks if I order/build it on my own. The only thing that looks to be maybe suspect is the amount of RAM and a relatively small SSD.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Goober Peas posted:

The ginger is the only surprise in that list, to me.

-Chris

Many thanks to forums poster Goober Peas aka -Chris for your insightful thoughts.

Today I got up at 4:30 to put a Boston butt on the smoker and it's deep in the stall. Likely will need to foil it and shove it in the oven when I get home. A 14 hour cook at 225 just doesn't bring it to temp sometimes. :sigh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

Gloves are expensive. Skin is free.

Conversely: No glove, no love.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Tide posted:

i7-6700 / 3.4 Ghz
8GB RAM
SSD 120 GB
1TB HDD for media
GTX 1070

$1299.99

Yeah, I might be able to save a 100 bucks if I order/build it on my own. The only thing that looks to be maybe suspect is the amount of RAM and a relatively small SSD.

Not too bad, but yeah, the RAM and SSD are a bit ridiculous. 1300 bucks should be getting you a 240GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. Also, 1TB HDDs are lovely $/tb these days, it should be a 2TB or 3TB at that pricepoint (difference in cost is like :20bux:)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

literally a fish posted:

Not too bad, but yeah, the RAM and SSD are a bit ridiculous. 1300 bucks should be getting you a 240GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. Also, 1TB HDDs are lovely $/tb these days, it should be a 2TB or 3TB at that pricepoint (difference in cost is like :20bux:)

That's kind of what I thought.

I don't mind building one but ugh...All I want is a PC for Oculus Rift and whizbang graphics with flight sims.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

scuz posted:

Ninja gloves are good, I use ripoffs from the local dodgey shop and they last for ages. http://www.ninjagloves.com/

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tide posted:

That's kind of what I thought.

I don't mind building one but ugh...All I want is a PC for Oculus Rift and whizbang graphics with flight sims.

I think you're better off building your own. Prebuilts tend to use lovely parts and usually don't leave room for expansion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I go through a box of harbor freight nitrile gloves every 6 months. Cheapest option if you use a coupon.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I go through a box of harbor freight nitrile gloves every 6 months. Cheapest option if you use a coupon.

Cheapest option is to get your wife to bring home a box of nitrile gloves from her lab... unfortunately this time she couldn't find any large gloves because her lab is all women and they only bother to stock small & medium.

scuz posted:

Look for this:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
House sitting with the gf for her parents for the next two weeks and the possible future mother in law left out loads of bottles of rum and whisky for me 😁😁😁😁

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone at Gridlife this weekend?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, at least the hail damage wasn't fixed yet! :buddy:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Tide posted:

i7-6700 / 3.4 Ghz
8GB RAM
SSD 120 GB
1TB HDD for media
GTX 1070

$1299.99

Quick run through newegg without cross shopping amazon to get something similar:

code:
Z170A Krait Gaming 3 Configurator [Edit]
Configurator Bundles
1 × MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130920
1 × G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform ...
Item #: N82E16820231888
1x $209.98

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
1x $429.99	

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM
1x $88.48

HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN (0S03664) 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop ...
1x $157.49

CORSAIR RMi Series RM650i 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Haswell Ready Full Modular ATX12V & EPS12V SLI and Crossfire Ready Power Supply ...
1x $119.99
	$20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

Rosewill Computer Case - CHALLENGER - ATX Mid Tower - Black, Gaming - Three Included Fans - Two Extra Side Fans Supported
$49.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan
1x $29.99

Subtotal: $1,305.9 (doesn't include rebates)
Unlocked i5 will be at worse the same (for games) and at best (overclocked) a fair bit faster than that locked i7. Double the RAM and SSD (plus a faster SSD and probably better longevity/quality) and quadruple the HDD space. The parts are all quality stuff instead of just whatever ibuypower could get cheapest (power supply especially, never cheap out on the power supply.) 3 year warranty on everything (10 year on the power supply) instead of 1 year from ibuypower.

Doesn't come with Windows though so add $100 or whatever it costs these days if you don't have a spare key or old computer to take one from.

Personally I would go for at least a 500GB SSD if not a 1TB (I actually bought 2x 1TB because I'm a huge nerd that wants all my games, applications, and VMs on SSDs) and probably 2 HDDs in a mirror if I was putting anything vaguely important on them.

e: how/why the gently caress did I put an apostrophe in 'wants'

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Shoutout to the mud farmer who lopped my cables in half with his back hoe.

• Locked thread