Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

To be fair Minnesota had it first, Atlanta had an opportunity to do something unique with a completely new brand and they still went with United

I'm aware but it's still uninspired and the fc tacked on after United annoys me. Also I dislike all new expansion teams, we're full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Miami Divided FC

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Seltzer posted:

I'm aware but it's still uninspired and the fc tacked on after United annoys me. Also I dislike all new expansion teams, we're full.

Agreed, 20 teams is enough for now, this rapid expansion is retarded considering the entire basis of the league was to avoid doing exactly that

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm against expansion to any city except my own.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Make MLS Great Again!!!

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
When Minnesota sends its soccer team they're not sending their best... they're bringing plastics. They're bringing poo poo cloggers. They're garbage and some, I assume, are good players.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jovial Cow posted:

Miami Divided FC

Steaua Miami

BATE Atlanta

AC Minnesota

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MLS 2017: gently caress Off, Were Full!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Please let this be the thread name for next season, it's so perfect.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Did the Fire just win an away game?

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

Did the Fire just win an away game?

:whatup:

Probably the best game the Fire have played all year. If we can keep it up this Wednesday vs. LA, I might even feel a little optimism creeping in.

We're still never gonna make the playoffs, but maybe things aren't entirely awful in Bridgeview.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hello Towel posted:

:whatup:

Probably the best game the Fire have played all year. If we can keep it up this Wednesday vs. LA, I might even feel a little optimism creeping in.

We're still never gonna make the playoffs, but maybe things aren't entirely awful in Bridgeview.

If the Fire can do that against LA, the entire Western Conference will be happy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Robbie Rogers got called a rude name in a USL start, apparently.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If this is true, :laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/767809163023888385

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
That's pretty good. It'd only be more MLS if the team only had standby seats and he was the one that got bumped to a later flight.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

CaptainYesterday posted:

Robbie Rogers got called a rude name in a USL start, apparently.

The only openly gay male athlete in a top pro league in the US being called a homophobic slur is way different than some random player being called a rude name.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

camoseven posted:

The only openly gay male athlete in a top pro league in the US being called a homophobic slur is way different than some random player being called a rude name.

The USL isn't a top pro league in the US.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shrapnig posted:

The USL isn't a top pro league in the US.

He's on a rehab assignment to Los Dos.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Robbie Rogers sucks and who cares what someone calls you during a game

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Torres is off the DL, and expected to get minutes against Houston today. It's time to switch to mania.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

foobardog posted:

Torres is off the DL, and expected to get minutes against Houston today. It's time to switch to mania.

Before he got hurt he was probably the best CB in CONCACAF. Hopefully he's at least decent still.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

foobardog posted:

Y'all supporters are crazy man. The amount of clamoring for Schmetzer to be the permanent coach I'm seeing and hearing is staggering. Do they really think Sigi wouldn't have had the same run of form once Lodeiro showed up? He is the one piece they were missing from being a really good team. They were missing a player to link the attack to the rest of the team. If they had waited one more week, Sigi would have been hailed a genius. I guess that's why Garth didn't wait.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I certainly would've liked to have seen what Sigi could've done with Lodeiro to see if the problem was tactics/personnel/both, but alas.

That said, Sigi kept sticking with the 4-3-3 when it pulled so many people out of their optimal positions. Some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

whypick1 posted:

I certainly would've liked to have seen what Sigi could've done with Lodeiro to see if the problem was tactics/personnel/both, but alas.

That said, Sigi kept sticking with the 4-3-3 when it pulled so many people out of their optimal positions. Some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill.

He's Bruce-lite. You got to take the bad sometimes with the good. Magee has been starting games for LA.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Y'all supporters are crazy man. The amount of clamoring for Schmetzer to be the permanent coach I'm seeing and hearing is staggering. Do they really think Sigi wouldn't have had the same run of form once Lodeiro showed up? He is the one piece they were missing from being a really good team. They were missing a player to link the attack to the rest of the team. If they had waited one more week, Sigi would have been hailed a genius. I guess that's why Garth didn't wait.

I think Lodiero may have been a big bump, but no, I do think there were serious interaction problems in how Sigi ran the team. Basically, the players just were playing so timid and playing to not gently caress up rather than seeking winning. Player psychology is extremely important. There was a point that I could see that Portland's players had already given up on Sunday, and perhaps that's Porter playing a heavy hand with Adi and having it backfire. (I don't know, a Timber fan would know better).

I'd not give Schmetzer any credit for it, or even Sigi all the blame for it. I think the pressure to get MLS Cup from fans and the FO were sky high, and prevented really blowing it up and starting from scratch, which I hope a good run towards the end doesn't make us hold on to the Dempsey-based Sounders forever. As long as the Sounders are so dependent on the stars, I'm not going to be surprised if at least one bad random thing happens that derails the team's chances every season. I think both this year and last year show a huge depth problem. I also think that it's a sort of perfect storm scenario, with a lot of little pieces combining into a big mess. Sigi has been having health issues and is relentlessly conservative; pressure to win is high to avoid people getting fickle; and many of the most important team members are aging/injured/called away on international duty/leaving the team, without clear replacements to step in.

Particular to Sigi is his seemingly black-and-white relationship with players (Mario Martinez), his conservatism leading to poor experimentation (Shalarie Joseph), and his affinity for players that are great in the club house, but not on the field (Pete Vagenas). The time for the Sounders to win it all was either last year or the year before. Sigi was dealt a really bad hand this season with the injuries and losing Martins and in my opinion, Rose, and having increased pressure due to Portland winning it all. However, he did not play that hand very well. It's not Sigi's fault 100%, but he wasn't helping the situation. I felt this Sounders year was a lot like the last year John Fox coached the Panthers, a good team that had burnt out, but was forced to shamble on for one year too far. But Fox was way more hosed over by his FO than Sigi's been.

In comparison, Arena strikes me as a bit more cutthroat with players, and definitely more secure in his position due to the many MLS Cups, allowing him to be more flexible and less scared in his coaching. If Sigi was in perfect health and managed to hang on for Lodeiro coming, he may have been able to become like Arena. But, with his health problems, it was probably the last year for Sigi no matter what. Schmetzer may be interesting because he does not yet seem to be trying to really become the place where the buck stops as much, allowing the team to begin to organize itself rather than to march to Sigi's tune. But that's also possibly because the pressure significantly dropped when the playoffs seemed impossible right before Sigi got let go. At the same time, Schmetzer finally got Dempsey to move back to CAM, rather than trying to be a striker, which I think has always been a bad fit for him.

But honestly, we'll see. I hope we have some young CB cooking for when either Torres or Marshall turn into pumpkins so we don't have to go back to the Brad Evans Centerback Experience.

e: And this is not to deny our fans are fickle and insane. People have been calling for Sigi Out for about four years, but I don't think it made sense until last year or now.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

goalzy altigoal has scored in each of the last four games

its coming home

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So, uh, this is happening.

Sucks that it means another game on FOX since their production/directing of soccer games is loving terrible.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

whypick1 posted:

So, uh, this is happening.

Sucks that it means another game on FOX since their production/directing of soccer games is loving terrible.

If RBNY/Toronto gets 100,000 viewers, I will be pleasantly surprised. And yes, I'm taking into account the NFL match-ups on CBS at the same time.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

By May at the latest I think it was obvious this was Sigi's last season to everyone and he was essentially going through the motions in a lame duck term. That's why I wanted him out the door by the end I honestly don't think he gave a poo poo and it came off that way in press conferences and post games. Sigi has done well enough that there is no way if he doesn't want to coach again someone won't give him a chance. Look at how hacks like Yallop and Klopas were given multiple chances with multiple teams and only after multiple seasons of poo poo have they finally been bounced out of the league and how jokes like Olsen and Maestroni (He is still poo poo) still have jobs despite just being terrible. Now Sigi can go gently caress off for awhile and go back home to coach LAFC in a year or two if he wants.

In contrast whether Schmetzer is actually good or if Lodeiro is making everything work (probably) doesn't matter so much to me. At the very least Schmetzer seems to have an idea of what he wants to do and actually looks like he gives a poo poo. After all he has been a Sounder for almost forty years, and is essentially playing for his job. No MLS team is going to snap him up if he doesn't get the Sounders HC job, maybe someone would pick him up for a AC position, or he could go be a college coach or some poo poo. However this is his one shot to actually shine, and is making the most of it so far.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CaptainYesterday posted:

If RBNY/Toronto gets 100,000 viewers, I will be pleasantly surprised. And yes, I'm taking into account the NFL match-ups on CBS at the same time.

I'd say that's ambitious.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

its a huge game between two massive clubs

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Azerban posted:

its a huge game between two massive clubs

Well we do have a 20 year history as well as two supporters shields and you do have Jozy, so yeah

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Was the last Fox game the Bronx Firebombing?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The FOX games this year have been:

NYR@NYC (:laffo:-0)
SEA@POR (1-3)
NYC@NYR (1-4)
POR@SKC (0-1)

These two rescheduled games are the the only ones remaining.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Oh poo poo :(

quote:

The Seattle Sounders announced on Friday that forward Clint Dempsey is undergoing medical evaluations for an irregular heartbeat. As a result, Dempsey will miss Sunday's match against the Portland Timbers.

The Sounders are making no other details publicly available at this time while the medical process unfolds and information is gathered internally.

E: USSF said he won't be called up for WCQs, though that was probably obvious

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hopefully not a career ender because that's a lovely way to go.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How's PPL park? Gonna see my first game there tomorrow. It looks nice on tv. I want both teams to lose and I'm gonna call Giovinco rude names

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seltzer posted:

How's PPL park? Gonna see my first game there tomorrow. It looks nice on tv. I want both teams to lose and I'm gonna call Giovinco rude names

It's gorgeous. Enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The game is against SKC got my fixtures mixed up. Go SKC then I guess

• Locked thread