Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wonder what's on that card just out of frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

dragon enthusiast posted:

It's expensive, on a poster, and the slight amount of art you can see looks like a human figure with a weird lack of facial features so with absolutely no evidence on my side I'm guessing some kind of clone.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's expensive, on a poster, and the slight amount of art you can see looks like a human figure with a weird lack of facial features so with absolutely no evidence on my side I'm guessing some kind of clone.

I'm going to guess "not a clone" because I don't actually remember the last time we had 2 clones in a set

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

They're known for previewing two clones right next to each other soooo

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Explosives is just one of those sideboard cards you should own at least 2 of if you play modern competitively at all.

Another card that falls into this category is Spellskite.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thisuck posted:

Another card that falls into this category is Spellskite.

This is true for a lot of sideboard staples.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

This is true for a lot of sideboard staples.

I meant like being over $20. Most are pretty cheap.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

dragon enthusiast posted:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Cactrot posted:

Mox Boarding House did one last year and did a full tournament report.

http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/modern-no-banned-list/

My only problem with this is that this is week one of a mostly casual event. I might have misread but I think it said no one even brought storm? I think this format looks and feels a lot worse when you have teams start testing for it

E: on reread, storm, elves, and stone forge all went unplayed

Death Bot fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 26, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
hey i heard zendikar draft is all about two drops

how many two drops is too many?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
well, you probably have too many 2-drops but you have trusty machete so and adventuring gear so

actually my biggest concern would be your opponent slamming cunning sparkmage, thank goodness that's an uncommon

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Where's your plated geopedes

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

So yeah, artifact block all but confirmed now.

Given the precedent of Scars of Mirrodin, the original Mirrodin, and Urza's Saga (yes, I know that was supposed to have been an enchantment block, but the artifact theme was also busted), something is probably going to get banned from Standard again thanks to how powerful artifact blocks tend to be.

At least it might be a change of pace from our current midrange hell.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Someone please post the math on Saheeli's Artistry on a Precursor Golem.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Someone please post the math on Saheeli's Artistry on a Precursor Golem.

Play Precursor Golem, get two Golem Tokens.

Saheeli's Artistry, targeting Precursor twice. Copy onto Token, copy onto Token.

Get two copies of each token, so 4 Golem Tokens.

Get two copies of Precursor. Get 4 more Golem Tokens.

End with 3 Precursors, 10 Tokens. Opponent casts Smash to Smithereens.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

the Orb of Zot posted:

So yeah, artifact block all but confirmed now.

Given the precedent of Scars of Mirrodin, the original Mirrodin, and Urza's Saga (yes, I know that was supposed to have been an enchantment block, but the artifact theme was also busted), something is probably going to get banned from Standard again thanks to how powerful artifact blocks tend to be.

At least it might be a change of pace from our current midrange hell.

gently caress I hope so. Busted artifact blocks own

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Now try again but target the token.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Now try again but target the token.

P sure it's the same but I'm at the bar and ~maths~.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any good primers or previews for Conspiracy 2 out there yet? Drafting it in a couple hours but haven't drafted anything since CNS, and I wasn't too hot at that to begin with.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

P sure it's the same but I'm at the bar and ~maths~.

i thought you weren't allowed to use cell phones at the bar exam

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

i thought you weren't allowed to use cell phones at the bar exam

Woo! Got off early cause of water main break. The happiest hour.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Babby's first LGS drama is currently kicking off in our city. An old store has gotten into a facebook slapfight with a new place over advertising each others events. What a time to be alive.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

Any good primers or previews for Conspiracy 2 out there yet? Drafting it in a couple hours but haven't drafted anything since CNS, and I wasn't too hot at that to begin with.

General - http://articles.nerdragegaming.com/max-kahn-everything-you-need-to-know-about-conspiracy-take-the-crown/

More specific - https://www.reddit.com/r/lrcast/comments/4z4fkb/conspiracy_2_draft_primer_tips_and_strategies/

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Play Precursor Golem, get two Golem Tokens...

...Opponent casts Smash to Smithereens.

I did this in MM2 draft. I was soooo happy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's the promo Rise from the Tides. But even then, Saheeli's Artistry is already basically a clone.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Wurzag posted:

Babby's first LGS drama is currently kicking off in our city. An old store has gotten into a facebook slapfight with a new place over advertising each others events. What a time to be alive.

Yeah, that poo poo is tedious and I'm glad I'm in Lille ignoring it (also I don't play in Brum often at all)

Also here's what do with Modern: absolutely nothing it's loving great

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just saw someone open a foil Show and Tell and a Berserk in the same pack.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Star Man posted:

I just saw someone open a foil Show and Tell and a Berserk in the same pack.

Is that good

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
GP attendees, be careful if you're on your way into town. We've had heavy rain and localized flooding today.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sigma-X posted:

Is that good

It's pretty k

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So somebody did really well with a GW Tron list that plays White over Red for Path and different sideboard cards. Modern players - how crazy is it to run Oust over Path to Exile? The creature will come back with Oust two turns later, but it's still a 1 for 1 and it doesn't ramp your opponent. Tron isn't trying to reduce the opponents resources and grind them out, so just buying time seems like it's good enough. Is the instant speed of Path that important, or are there creatures that Tron actually needs to get rid of permanently?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Any goons interested in a goon cube this weekend at Gp Indy, pm me your email address

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Holy poo poo, I just realized Fortune's Favour is one face up pile and one face down pile. For some reason I thought they were both face down.

I feel like that probably made me look like a huge idiot on MTGO on a few occasions.

Which, I guess is warranted here, and nothing new, but wow.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Gonna be drafting this tomorrow, can't wait to force whatever I rare I get first pack. Also, the prize pool got increased to 18$ 1st place and 2nd place gets 10$. These are per pod.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

So somebody did really well with a GW Tron list that plays White over Red for Path and different sideboard cards. Modern players - how crazy is it to run Oust over Path to Exile? The creature will come back with Oust two turns later, but it's still a 1 for 1 and it doesn't ramp your opponent. Tron isn't trying to reduce the opponents resources and grind them out, so just buying time seems like it's good enough. Is the instant speed of Path that important, or are there creatures that Tron actually needs to get rid of permanently?

I'd have to have a tron player tell me, but specifically in that G/x style tron, where you're doing pretty much everything else at sorcery speed (minus map and o stone activations), it's probably okay. The 3 life certainly does not matter. Though it's kinda awkward that you probably can't run Horizon Canopies since the life loss for you actually DOES matter.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hellsau posted:

Infect and various builds of Zoo are going to assfuck you as soon as they git probe your hand and see a removal spell that can't interact with their pump spells.

EDIT: It also means you can't use it to kill Thought-Knot in response to the trigger, interrupt various combos like Kiki, or protect yourself from hasty beaters / flash dudes on your end step.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 27, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hellsau posted:

Sorcery vs Instant means you're going to have to always be pro-active in whether you want to oust their guy or pop expedition map or whatever other instant speed action you have.

You don't have a ton of instant speed action but I don't feel like ramping them with path is often relevant against you - you're typically not racing them to mana so much as you're trying to hit 7 on turn 3, although I can see putting them on crumble to dust a turn earlier could be troublesome.

I don't think the tuck or life gain are relevant drawbacks but that sorcery speed seems like a big hurdle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Conspiracy 2 trip report:
--Tell myself not to get suckered into the aggro deck.
--Open Adriana P1p1.
--Have red and white be super-open outside of mid P2.
--Draft RW Aggro/Melee with a bunch of Humans and Soldiers and TWO Paliano Vanguard on Human and Soldier. Also four Ill-Tempered Cyclops with an Incendiary Dissent for them because fuckin why not.
--Get paired with UW Control, UB Control, and Junk Conspiracies as punishment for my sins. Do nothing past turn 5 other than gently caress with people using Custodi Peacekeeper. Never draw Adriana and never get a Vanguard in play with a creature to boost.
--End up in a position where a Peacekeeper activation decides who wins the game, guaranteeing that I'm directly responsible for feelbads.

:negative: Most valuable (price) card I saw all evening was a Ghostly Prison (which I took). Had to pass a Selvala that I want for EDH because I was already in bed with RW. Dude in the other pod opened a foil Berserk. Most valuable (gameplay) was the Custodi Peacekeeper, P2 the guy in front of me hatedrafted two when he saw me take one P1.

It might be a good draft set but man I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a draft. It was basically like playing EDH but shittier, as someone in my quartet said it's a good thing we start at 20 life instead of 40. The Junk deck that won my quartet was sweet, he basically drafted all the Copperhorn Scouts and Voyaging Satyrs he could and grabbed SEVEN conspiracies that named them. Don't sleep on Conspiracies y'all.

Maybe I'll post a decklist later, the deck seemed sweet on paper but just like my last Conspiracy draft I drafted a deck that was dope for 1v1 and got my rear end beat because I was actually playing four player.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I tried to go play on xmage. I want to use my irl decks, but the problem is they're such a mix of blocks that they seem to only be legal in legacy. And they definitely cannot stand up to the 100,000 dollar decks people play in there. What do? Is there a "just be chill and use whatever but don't go sperglord try-hard extraordinaire" game type? I feel like that'd be casual, but apparently casual isn't its own thing, just a description of the level of other things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Space T Rex posted:

I tried to go play on xmage. I want to use my irl decks, but the problem is they're such a mix of blocks that they seem to only be legal in legacy. And they definitely cannot stand up to the 100,000 dollar decks people play in there. What do? Is there a "just be chill and use whatever but don't go sperglord try-hard extraordinaire" game type? I feel like that'd be casual, but apparently casual isn't its own thing, just a description of the level of other things?

money is no object on xmage, if someone is looking for a legacy game, they want to play against a real legacy deck. 99.99% of players don't care if you actually own the cards irl, so go ahead and build whatever you'd like. If it's important to you for only play with the cards you have, then you can try joining casual rooms, but casual online is a huge crapshoot because you and your opponent most likely do not have the same definition of casual. If there's casual legacy rooms, they'll probably be people who still have expensive rear end decks but have some goofy win condition.

• Locked thread