Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jabor posted:

It's pretty solid. It is a one-toughness creature, which is a hefty downside (dies to Darkblast, Golgari Charm, Conflagrate for 3...), but the Dredge deck literally can't do anything until they draw something to remove it. I would play it as a sideboard 1-of in any deck that can tutor for it.

Extra copies, or if you're playing a deck without Chord, are not particularly exciting though.

They also have to draw fair, until they find the answer. No dredging to get through the deck and find the darkblast or conflagrate. They gotta get it straight up.
Plus, it turns off their bridges if you're involved in combat (excluding your jailer, which you want to pretend is an artifact/enchantment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mehall posted:

Dredge Chat:

Just had it confirmed that you cannot flashback a conflagrate to kill a Yixlid Jailer. Has to be from the hand.

Correct. But strangely enough, you can cast it normally with a Yawgmoth's Will. Not that that means much in modern.

ShaneB posted:

I don't understand how having to build literally every deck around the question "but what about twin??" made it a better format.

As opposed to "but what about burn?" Or dredge? Or bogles? Or infect? Or Tron? Or *insert linear deck here*? Why was Twin the deck that people got upset about having to answer? Was it because it was a 50% deck with blue cards? Real question.

Twin was the deck that punished you for trying to goldfish. There isn't a deck that does that now, so there isn't a good reason not to do it. Again coming back to Todd Anderson's article he sums it up pretty well.

Tl;dr the Twin kill was generally bad and not how you wanted to win in the fair deck mirror. But Twin had a way to punish the linear decks that didn't have a way to interact with the combo, which is most of them. Remand, Deceiver, Twin was going to beat most decks without the ability to interact with the combo, which most of the current decks in modern don't have for game 1. Then post-board they either dilute their deck to answer the combo or they probably lose to the combo again. That's something that no other deck can do, at least not so early in the game. Nahiri decks can't do what Twin did until turn 7, and it's at sorcerery speed. Blue Tron is the next closest deck I can think of that has that option and it's turn 5 at the earliest and that's if you don't actually play any blue mana (which means you probably died on turn 3) and involves drawing 2 separate 1-ofs.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Modern is rapidly becoming my favorite format because it's more ~ INTERACTIVE ~

Unban Stoneforge, Jace, Preordain and Bloodbraid Elf, bam. Easy best format

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Twin was a dumb deck that forced every deck in the format to either be twin or have a way to beat twin.

The fact that it required you to slow down because if you tried to goldfish you'd get counterspelled and die was fine, but the fact that it was also the same deck had match ups that are eot your turn 3 pestermite/Deceiver Exarch tap down your blue source turn 4 lol I win was dumb.

And I play Merfolk, the twin matchup was skewed in your favor because you can play countermagic and creatures off vial, which made most of their countermagic useless.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 26, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Yes, No, No, No

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

stinkles1112 posted:

Unban BBE, artifact lands, Pod, Deathrite, Dig, Green Sun, Ponder, Preordain, Jace, Top, Twin, and Stoneforge. Let the format figure itself out. Ban Empty and Grapeshot if storm gets too good again. Ban Plating and/or Ravager and/or Opal if affinity is too good.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

As opposed to "but what about burn?" Or dredge? Or bogles? Or infect? Or Tron? Or *insert linear deck here*? Why was Twin the deck that people got upset about having to answer? Was it because it was a 50% deck with blue cards? Real question.

It was the part where it's never safe to tap out after turn 3. I agree that modern would be better if it was less linear, but forcing every deck in the format to be able to hold up instant speed interaction for the entirety of the game is not the way to do it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

little munchkin posted:

It was the part where it's never safe to tap out after turn 3. I agree that modern would be better if it was less linear, but forcing every deck in the format to be able to hold up instant speed interaction for the entirety of the game is not the way to do it.

Force of Will helps solve that problem but :shrug:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Like Count Bleck said, it was a bad (IMO) "police" deck. It constricted deckbuilding AND play patterns (like munchkin said) too much on both sides of the battlefield.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Unban BBE, artifact lands, Pod, Deathrite, Dig, Green Sun, Ponder, Preordain, Jace, Top, Twin, and Stoneforge. Let the format figure itself out. Ban Empty and Grapeshot if storm gets too good again. Ban Plating and/or Ravager and/or Opal if affinity is too good.

Unban Hypergenesis, Glimpse of Nature and Punishing Fire too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

The fact that it required you to slow down because if you tried to goldfish you'd get counterspelled and die was fine, but the fact that it was also the same deck had match ups that are eot your turn 3 pestermite/Deceiver Exarch tap down your blue source turn 4 lol I win was dumb.

And again, that almost never actually happened, and the match-ups where it did happen were the goldfishy ones where you had to combo them before they combo'd you.

What deck in the format only had 1 blue mana on turn 3, could counter a Twin but not an Exarch, and couldn't otherwise kill the exarch without blue mana? How is that worse than turn 2 Goryo's on Griselbrand? Or attack you for 6 infect with Apostle's Blessing or Vines or Mutagenic Growth for protection? Or Ad Nauseam draw my deck and kill you? Like somehow people are ok with all the stupid things that are allowed to exist in the format now but tapping your land EOT was just too much!

little munchkin posted:

I mean if you watch some old videos of LSV and people playing against Twin this is pretty clearly not true but sure.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

How off-the-rails would modern be if it just dropped the ban list? Is there a deck that would exist that's just too degenerate compared to the rest?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

How off-the-rails would modern be if it just dropped the ban list? Is there a deck that would exist that's just too degenerate compared to the rest?

Eldrazi.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

No banned list modern is unbelievably degenerate.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Storm with Rite of Flame, Seething Song, Ponder and Preordain is a horrifying site to behold.

sarmhan posted:

No banned list modern is unbelievably degenerate.

Truth, Imagine Vintage without Force of Will, Daze, or a Shops deck. It is literally just goldfishing.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Blazing shoal infect, ungimped dredge/affinity and hypergenesis would all be scary

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

And again, that almost never actually happened

When you say things like this, it makes me believe that you do not know what you are talking about

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Madmarker posted:

Truth, Imagine Vintage without Force of Will, Daze, or a Shops deck. It is literally just goldfishing.

Would making Daze modern legal for this hypothetical scenario help quell some of the degeneracy or would that just make everything have to be a blue degenerate combo?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know there are a few places out there that do no-bans Modern events for fun, do any of them post deck lists? I want to see the broken poo poo instead of just imagining it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

C-Euro posted:

I know there are a few places out there that do no-bans Modern events for fun, do any of them post deck lists? I want to see the broken poo poo instead of just imagining it.

Mox Boarding House did one last year and did a full tournament report.

http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/modern-no-banned-list/

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 26, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
The problem with not having playables in the edh premades is that they always have them on accident anyways. TNN kept that one premade off the shelf and double the price for months.

It's not really possible to prevent this without making the premades less desirable as a whole, but making all of them have a little value seems like a win-win

ShaneB posted:

I don't understand how having to build literally every deck around the question "but what about twin??" made it a better format.

The idea he's presenting at least is that having a deck with a target on its back meant that you could walk into am event knowing that the majority of decks were either that deck or the decks with solid matchups against it.

I don't play modern but I can understand the thought process that having a general plan to work with is a bit better than walking into a nearly open meta with no FoW as a backup plan

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cactrot posted:

Mox Boarding House did one last year and did a full tournament report.

http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/modern-no-banned-list/

My LGS has done a few of these and the results were pretty underwhelming. As noted in the article, fair decks won out. The winner of the first one was Burn splashing blue for Treasure Cruise.

Edit: Ban Noble Heirarch.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I just won a ZZW match where both Games 1 and 2 played out identically.

Turn 1, I play Hedron Crab.

Opponent runs out of cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Modern!!!!!

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/modern-masters/engineered-explosives

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Good thing I caved and bought them out at $10 each!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Have they said how the conspiracy cards are going to get distributed on mtgo?

Finally looking through the spoiler and there are some interesting cards in it. I wonder how good Regicide will actually be.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

little munchkin posted:

They don't like doing this because all the modern/legacy players snap them up and then it's hard for actual edh players to get their hands on them.

They already have a better solution with the masters sets, but they refuse to make those not lovely for whatever reason.

They could just print more sets. Too many people wanting to buy your product doesn't seem like a difficult problem.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
hmmmmm

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Does launch mean it's the buy-a-box promo?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Does launch mean it's the buy-a-box promo?
No it means it's the launch promo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Artifacts matter theme I guess.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Can't wait for a company to chide its customers again via their great PR conduit: Trick Jarrett.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Artifacts matter theme I guess. Why would you ever choose one and not both?

if you didn't have the choice you wouldn't be able to cast it if you only have a creature, or an artifact

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Artifacts matter theme I guess. Why would you ever choose one and not both?

Because there isn't a legal target?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

if you didn't have the choice you wouldn't be able to cast it if you only have a creature, or an artifact

I read it wrong. I guess you can make 2 copies of any artifact creature though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Can't wait for a company to chide its customers again via their great PR conduit: Trick Jarrett.

it would be weird if wotc got upset that someone showed off part of the september wpn/fnm poster

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Zoness posted:

it would be weird if wotc got upset that someone showed off part of the september wpn/fnm poster

well I'm an idiot :downs: that's not a desk behind that card

e:

isn't this like 2 weeks early for spoilers tho?

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 26, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

We were warned of this by several articles months in advance.

And I DIDN'T LISTEN! :argh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

We were warned of this by several articles months in advance.

And I DIDN'T LISTEN! :argh:

Explosives is just one of those sideboard cards you should own at least 2 of if you play modern competitively at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

well I'm an idiot :downs: that's not a desk behind that card

e:

isn't this like 2 weeks early for spoilers tho?

yeah but given that the prerelease is in september it makes sense to put the card on the poster for next month, like what they did with bident of thassa

• Locked thread