Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I saw someone dressed up as House have his cane peace bonded a few years ago. It was a very wtf moment.

Conventions around here tend to follow the rule-of-cool where if something is cool enough they'll let the rules slip for it. It's nice they make exceptions for people who put in good efforts to costumes but can still tell the hundreds of fedora wearing goons with their HSN katanas to leave them at the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What the hell is peace bonding?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wrapping a zip tie around something.

Regardless of how asinine it is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

VendaGoat posted:

Wrapping a zip tie around something.

Regardless of how asinine it is.

Ha. Is the zip tie for visibility concerns, or is it supposed to impede function in some way like a cable lock going through a gun?

Or is it like... A symbolic gesture that you will do no harm with your Harry Potter wand, Hanzo steel, etc?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ha. Is the zip tie for visibility concerns, or is it supposed to impede function in some way like a cable lock going through a gun?

Or is it like... A symbolic gesture that you will do no harm with your Harry Potter wand, Hanzo steel, etc?

Its more that the weapon has been inspected by con staff and proven it doesn't actually fire or have a "live" edge to the blade.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

McPantserton posted:

I heard at Gamescom this year they made a Mercy cosplayer take her wings off because they could theoretically be weapons. But I myself have not been to that strict of a convention yet

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mercy is basically the Medic, anyway. So, 2 for one on this...

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Its more that the weapon has been inspected by con staff and proven it doesn't actually fire or have a "live" edge to the blade.

"Harry"
"Potter"
"Wand"

Security has gone loving bonkers.

Look, while I love the work she has done and find it absolutely awesome, I can understand, from a loving common sense standpoint, of peace bonding,

But when you are inspecting a loving.....Jesus Christ do I have to type this out?

A loving "wand" to do loving magic with....

Engorgio Titiaus!

poo poo don't loving fly, yo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dodgeball posted:

Mercy is basically the Medic, anyway. So, 2 for one on this...

Looks like Penny Arcade, but it's not about being an out of touch dad?

Anyway thanks for the explanations. Peace bonding dumb, yo

EDIT gently caress you and your ninja edit, now I look like a weirdo for doing the same Comma Yo thing

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This was back when Gabe could draw hands.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Anyway thanks for the explanations. Peace bonding dumb, yo

EDIT gently caress you and your ninja edit, now I look like a weirdo for doing the same Comma Yo thing

We brothers. yo. :hfive:

:respek:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can see why they'd have to inspect canes.

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Weapon_Sword_Canes.html

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VendaGoat posted:

"Harry"
"Potter"
"Wand"

Oh hell yes, Peacebonding wands is dumb as poo poo. I was just explaining what Peacebonding is actually meant to be for, not what it actually gets applied to now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hell yes, Peacebonding wands is dumb as poo poo. I was just explaining what Peacebonding is actually meant to be for, not what it actually gets applied to now.

We cool, yo. We very chill.
:hfive:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The origin is real. In some places they would put a tie around a weapon in a way that the tie would have to be broken if the weapon were drawn. If the authorities found the tie broken without good reason (like defending yourself from an attack) then the person could be fined or jailed.

Peace bonding that doesn't actually keep a weapon in the sheath/holster is kind of a weird concept to me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I guess it's mildly better than a big yellow tag with "INSPECTED BY #65 AND FOUND TO BE SAFE".

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Its also in some books - specifically I remember it happening in the wheel of time. I imagine the books stole it from real life practices and now the conventions steal it from the fantasy books and figure the nerds attending will be familiar with the concept.

I would guess that the peacebonding of wands is less "omg safety concerns" and more of a tongue in cheek jokey policy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

VendaGoat posted:

"Harry"
"Potter"
"Wand"

Look, while I love the work she has done and find it absolutely awesome, I can understand, from a loving common sense standpoint, of peace bonding,

But when you are inspecting a loving.....Jesus Christ do I have to type this out?

A loving "wand" to do loving magic with....

Engorgio Titiaus!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Locator posted:

The origin is real. In some places they would put a tie around a weapon in a way that the tie would have to be broken if the weapon were drawn. If the authorities found the tie broken without good reason (like defending yourself from an attack) then the person could be fined or jailed.

Peace bonding that doesn't actually keep a weapon in the sheath/holster is kind of a weird concept to me.

I used to go to ren fairs and there would be peasants that would go around with red braided string and tie your swords, daggers to their sheathes. They did it in such a way that it provided the safety you're talking about but also looked thematically appropriate.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Keystoned posted:

I would guess that the peacebonding of wands is less "omg safety concerns" and more of a tongue in cheek jokey policy.

I'm betting on being a policy of "just bond all the props so we don't have to think about what should we bond or not and then we can get rid of this line faster".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"I'm not paid enough to take the heat if someone goes nuts and attacks someone with their anime sword. gently caress it, I'll just tape everything."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You can still hit or poke someone with a wand. Peace bonding one should mean that you reminded them to not do that.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

"I'm not paid enough to take the heat if someone goes nuts and attacks someone with their anime sword. gently caress it, I'll just tape everything."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu9QBn9i4EQ

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Colorado Movie Cars had a guy with an Umbrella Corporation car. He was into all the airsoft and tactical "costuming" stuff that went along with it and eventually had enough costumers to stand on his own as a separate group. Because they were all about guns, their group would have to spend significant time peacebonding their props before a convention. One year we snuck onto the con floor extra early and used those giant, 5-foot long zip ties to "peacebond" the doors of his car shut by going all the way over and under the car.

My one regret was that the zip ties were not orange :negative: still got a good laugh, though.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Boomerjinks posted:

Colorado Movie Cars had a guy with an Umbrella Corporation car. He was into all the airsoft and tactical "costuming" stuff that went along with it and eventually had enough costumers to stand on his own as a separate group. Because they were all about guns, their group would have to spend significant time peacebonding their props before a convention. One year we snuck onto the con floor extra early and used those giant, 5-foot long zip ties to "peacebond" the doors of his car shut by going all the way over and under the car.

My one regret was that the zip ties were not orange :negative: still got a good laugh, though.

I hope you didn't damage the paint work

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Am I the only one that sees the irony in jumping directly from a derail assuming I'm some moron directly feeding my hair into a spinning lathe to a derail about how peace bonding is dumb because, whatever, I'm sure we can just assume people are being responsible with their potential edged and bludgeoning weapons.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jmistajay posted:

Am I the only one that sees the irony in jumping directly from a derail assuming I'm some moron directly feeding my hair into a spinning lathe to a derail about how peace bonding is dumb because, whatever, I'm sure we can just assume people are being responsible with their potential edged and bludgeoning weapons.

i've seen a discussion on this forum go from "God katanas are dumb and people who like them are stupid" directly into "EUROPEAN LONGSWORDS WERE AWESOME AND BASICALLY MAGIC"

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

At the Ren Faire I perfomed at, security peace tied all weapons so they couldn't be drawn. You could tie it yourself, or they use a zip tie. Tying it yourself meant it was easy to undo of course, but they were mostly concerned with people getting drunk and either trying to show off, or getting angry and getting in a fight. Hard to undo a knot when you can barely stand up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sappo569 posted:

I hope you didn't damage the paint work
lol owned

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Of course not. It's Leviosaaa, not Leviosarrr.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

jmistajay posted:

I think so.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I just read about not wearing gloves when making poo poo like this, and then oh hey, A guy was making the Ashbringer from World of Warcraft and before he starts he says, HEY DON'T USE GLOVES when doing poo poo like that, if you gently caress up while wearing gloves, it'll be way worse.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

joat mon posted:

I think so.

How did someone get a Llama into a hotel room?! :stare:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A cat on titan.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Cosplay weapons are just the latest victim in America's relentless War on Fun.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

A cat on titan.

:lol:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

A cat on titan.

Shingeki no Nekyojin

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Speaking of CATS..

How are you gentlemen?

(Fantastic work)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Oh my god. I'm so mad I didn't think to cosplay him first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Not me (in fact extremely old - I found it in an old folder on my computer from when I used to post on the Stile Project forums) but rad nonetheless.

• Locked thread