Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

FYI, the voice actor of the Ancestor is Wayne June and he's done other stuff - among others audiobooks for the Call of Cthulhu. Sample: http://www.waynejune.com/MP3/WJune_Lovecraft01.mp3

Sounds suitably demonic though there is a bit of audio clipping or whatever it's called when the audio cuts off a little.

http://www.waynejune.com/

also vestals are a crutch and should be replaced with occultists whenever given a chance. Seriously at least they have good debuffs and decent damage against eldrich.

Vestal's healing is just so reliable it's hard to stop using them.

The game is a lot less stressful when you have a guaranteed 7 health to everyone every turn(given the right trinkets, of course).

Add a jester with the Bright Tambourine and everything shy of a boss fight is a point and click adventure instead of a survival horror experience.

Halser fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vestals are really good as long as you don't get trapped just using them to heal. A ranged attack that also heals the user and a good stun, plus the reliable 'oh poo poo' healing when someone's on death's door? Yes please.

They are not white mages, though.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
And now that I've watched the video I can reveal something.

I have actually changed the lines in-game to be funnier, at least considering my own sense of humor.

I have lines for Miss("Why did I bring a Leper") and dodge("Outskilled") and stuff like that.
here's a few examples(there's a Ruins boss spoiler there!)
http://imgur.com/a/RRAsy

this was probably overwritten with recent patches so I'd have to redo everything again if someone wanted the mod, but it shouldn't take longer than 20 or so minutes.

First image doesn't show the text correctly, but it's supposed to be a very subtle "OH gently caress"

Halser fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 26, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Halser posted:

And now that I've watched the video I can reveal something.

I have actually changed the lines in-game to be funnier, at least considering my own sense of humor.

I have lines for Miss("Why did I bring a Leper") and dodge("Outskilled") and stuff like that.
here's a few examples(there's a Ruins boss spoiler there!)
http://imgur.com/a/RRAsy

this was probably overwritten with recent patches so I'd have to redo everything again if someone wanted the mod, but it shouldn't take longer than 20 or so minutes.

First image doesn't show the text correctly, but it's supposed to be a very subtle "OH gently caress"

Man. This should be a side project for this LP. Gotta think about this for a bit.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Hahaha. I decided to give this game another try, and man. First encounter, six enemy crits in a row. Well okay time for a new game.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Highwang posted:

Man. This should be a side project for this LP. Gotta think about this for a bit.
Please do. You can change quite a lot of strings easily, even some stuff you'd probably never pay attention to, like heirloom descriptions.

I changed deeds to "Evidence of how many times you had to go through the loving Weald". That was before they changed the system.

Oh, and although the chances of getting in are pretty low now, I'll just put my name here for recruitment.

Classes:
1. Houndmaster
2. Grave Robber
3. Highwayman

If I ever land a Houndmaster, please name him Halser&Holser.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I'd like to see a write-up of the quirks/afflictions, since you have kinda gone over the cove already in a video.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
For reference, I'm moderately certain that https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623425061 is the mod Highwang is talking about, and some of these honestly do make me giggle.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

vdate posted:

For reference, I'm moderately certain that https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=623425061 is the mod Highwang is talking about, and some of these honestly do make me giggle.

That is indeed it.

User beware, it's very 2008 internet. That's probably why I like it though since I'm a goddamn fossil.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Night10194 posted:

Vestals are really good as long as you don't get trapped just using them to heal. A ranged attack that also heals the user and a good stun, plus the reliable 'oh poo poo' healing when someone's on death's door? Yes please.

They are not white mages, though.

I'm not a fan of the stun, since it has a relatively low chance of success and using trinkets to increase it guts her healing. I keep her basic attack on hand in case I have to deal with movement shenanigans.

On the other hand, her self healing has a pretty high crit rate and almost max damage. So I definitely agree to that. I always have a smile on my face when the Vestal is the only one who needs healing, since I can do damage at the same time.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

mauman posted:

I'm not a fan of the stun, since it has a relatively low chance of success and using trinkets to increase it guts her healing. I keep her basic attack on hand in case I have to deal with movement shenanigans.

On the other hand, her self healing has a pretty high crit rate and almost max damage. So I definitely agree to that. I always have a smile on my face when the Vestal is the only one who needs healing, since I can do damage at the same time.

I enjoy using the stun because of the added +torch benefit. If you run items or have quirks that require a high torch value then the stun is a very useful skill. The stun amulet or stone is usually enough to get the Vestal's stun move up to a decent chance to proc, leaving the other slot open for a head, or even the book that Highwang is using.

I think the Vestal is useful on long runs where you need to have a healing unit just to keep up with the nickel and dime damage you'll receive from various units. However, I prefer the Occultist in most boss parties or medium runs because he can debuff, mark and has an excellent AoE that he can use from the 3rd and 4th spots along with his heal. Also, he can be in a party with an Abomination, which is usually very nice.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I enjoy using the stun because of the added +torch benefit. If you run items or have quirks that require a high torch value then the stun is a very useful skill. The stun amulet or stone is usually enough to get the Vestal's stun move up to a decent chance to proc, leaving the other slot open for a head, or even the book that Highwang is using.

I think the Vestal is useful on long runs where you need to have a healing unit just to keep up with the nickel and dime damage you'll receive from various units. However, I prefer the Occultist in most boss parties or medium runs because he can debuff, mark and has an excellent AoE that he can use from the 3rd and 4th spots along with his heal. Also, he can be in a party with an Abomination, which is usually very nice.

An Occultist with that Eldritch Killing Incense and a damage trinket can shame Lepers in damage output against the right targets.

30% crit chance on Sacrificial Stab. It's amazing. I always save up my Occultists to Cove runs because they're so drat powerful there.

And it's funny seeing him heal for 60 or so when you stack healing trinkets. Of course he'll only do that when your target is missing 1hp, and of course he'll heal for 0 when he's at Death's Door.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Halser posted:

and of course he'll heal for 0 when he's at Death's Door.

Don't forget the bleed,

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
The abomination's beast form looks really cool and I like it a lot. Was expecting a werewolf but satyr is loving sweet.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I have found one of the big trasures.

In a torch sconce.

that was also the right time to retreat. A Vestal could maybe pull you through for high stress. But 2 bleeders on Death's Door is a bad place to be.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

YES! My dumb name made it in!

In all seriousness I've found the bounty hunter great for his pull and his stun. Sure he does great damage too, but I always find him messing with the enemy turns to be more useful.

P.S. Thank you for not letting me die.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 27, 2016

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So what made the antiquarian's 1-1 heal so attractive to you, instead of anything else?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Abomination is up there with the Arbalest in the "I will fire you first if need arises" department. Unless you have a jester doing nothing but destressing people you're bound to end up with everyone insane in long dungeons. Never really saw the appeal when the Leper does comparable damage without the need to babysit and without the annoying class restrictions.

I always found it odd that a Vestal would happily party with a dude that's all about eldritch powers and dark sacrifices and maddening chants without any remorse, but when a sad man that's possessed and obviously hates it shows up they get disgusted.

Cassa posted:

So what made the antiquarian's 1-1 heal so attractive to you, instead of anything else?

Any heal is a good heal when you need folks out of Death's Door.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
One is a man who worships eldritch demons and can still be shown the error of his ways.

The other is a demon shackled inside a prison of flesh and bone, who occasionally escapes that prison to wreak havoc.

That's quite the difference to a clergyman.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also the Abomination is branded, and from his backstory it looked to be very specifically done by a religious group. If the Vestal, Leper and Crusader are all of the same faith there might just be tenets about not working with those branded as abominations.

So it's not that they enjoy working with the Occultist, it's that there's an actual religious law against working with the Abomination but none against the Occultist or Pagan heathens like the Hellion. Although the fact that both can be converted to the right path is probably a good secondary explanation, whereas the Abomination cannot be saved due to his very nature as such a creature.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

One is a man who worships eldritch demons and can still be shown the error of his ways.

The other is a demon shackled inside a prison of flesh and bone, who occasionally escapes that prison to wreak havoc.

That's quite the difference to a clergyman.

the Occultist is also possessed though, he made a pact with some eldritch entity. It's just a bit more subtle visually.

When he goes depressed, he says
"I cannot let It escape... DESTROY ME! NOW!"
"YES. FREE ME FROM THIS MORTAL PRISON. FREE ME."
"Will I ever possess my own mind again? Or am I lost?"
"Cannot sleep... the black-beast is ever-roaring..."

Paranoid:
"The others must surely know my secret by now..."
"Must not let the others guess my true nature..."

And Irrational is very fun to read:
"MAKE YOUR PEACE, MORTALS. I BURN THROUGH."
"I AM THE BLACK-BEAST. PERISH IN FLAME."
"HG'ROKAN MANOGASN EL'CTHORGHRAKORH L'LOARX-R'GHAN."

You may argue that he just thinks he's possessed in his insanity, but he also does a few eldritch chants when he crits too. He's very clearly tormented by some demonic(to a holy person) entity.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Halser posted:

You may argue that he just thinks he's possessed in his insanity, but he also does a few eldritch chants when he crits too. He's very clearly tormented by some demonic(to a holy person) entity.

Right, he say's he is one... But he doesn't actually demonstrate that beyond his eldritch arts and ramblings. While the Abomination actually turns into something not-human.
The difference is literally 'he is and has demonstrated that he is a demon.' It doesn't matter how sad he may be, he is the embodiment of everything the faith finds evil and they will not care if their evil is sad that he is evil.

You can always decided to be God and edit the ini file like Chitlin said if it really bothers you :v:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

Right, he say's he is one... But he doesn't actually demonstrate that beyond his eldritch arts and ramblings. While the Abomination actually turns into something not-human.
The difference is literally 'he is and has demonstrated that he is a demon.'

You can always decided to be God and edit the ini file like Chitlin said if it really bothers you :v:

it doesn't bother me too much, it's just one thing I like pointing out.

It's a fair explanation to me that the holy classes are just ignorant of how the Occultist gets his powers.

Although the whole tentacle summoning thing is a pretty big red flag.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The faith seems to be a weird hope spot in the setting, where you can gain powers to fight the corrupt and evil magic without setting your soul on fire. Sure, the Vestal has to stay virginal and the Leper has his disease, but the Crusader seems to be able to call on attack spells and healing just fine.

I do wonder what powers the fish guys/cultists/etc are channeling, as they have more dark themed powers than the occultist does. Sure, the occultist has his stun that puts out the torch (though I've never seen anyone use it) but his tentacle motif is a lot different from the other wizards in Darkest Dungeon.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The faith seems to be a weird hope spot in the setting, where you can gain powers to fight the corrupt and evil magic without setting your soul on fire. Sure, the Vestal has to stay virginal and the Leper has his disease, but the Crusader seems to be able to call on attack spells and healing just fine.

I do wonder what powers the fish guys/cultists/etc are channeling, as they have more dark themed powers than the occultist does. Sure, the occultist has his stun that puts out the torch (though I've never seen anyone use it) but his tentacle motif is a lot different from the other wizards in Darkest Dungeon.

"Some think the Flame is holy. I know otherwise..." - Also an Occultist line.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vestal and the Occultist all channel the same forces, in different ways. It would fit the setting, I think.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Chalk me up as another person who can't stand Occultist (and Abomination; I value my religious party members too highly). Vestal's reliability is just way better than relying on Wyrd Reconstruction, and she has a group heal. Not to mention she can boost her healing with trinkets to the point where, on average, she will be doing better than the Occultist, without having to manage Bleed. Judgment is a pretty good attack, too.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 27, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Halser posted:

Abomination is up there with the Arbalest in the "I will fire you first if need arises" department. Unless you have a jester doing nothing but destressing people you're bound to end up with everyone insane in long dungeons. Never really saw the appeal when the Leper does comparable damage without the need to babysit and without the annoying class restrictions.

Wait what? The arbalest is amazing!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Make me a Jester. I can play the lute horribly and make my friends less stressful!

Call me Dick Taste.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

double nine posted:

If I've learned anything from threads like this, it is that everyone has their own play styles and some characters/classes/units just don't gel with said style. For example, if you really like using two back line units and use them exclusively, then the Arbalest won't fit into your team easily.

I've also learned that everyone else on the internet is wrong and should feel bad about being wrong.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nu-uh!

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on bandages and antivenoms for the purposes of combat? On the one hand that's money thrown away on the other hand i'm getting into territory where bleed and blight is getting really punishing it feels like

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
They seem to be okay clutch items, but from what I have seen, you usually pack them to deal with curios.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I use a 2/3/4 of each approach at novice/veteran/elite respectively. There are a few enemies that pick up blight/bleed effects at higher difficulties, and their chances of applying a blight or bleed increase at each tier.

The numbers might change a bit depending on the realm and length of the dungeon, for example there are various units with bleed attacks in the cove, but not many blighters. In addition, you'll probably be eating a few more crits which adds two to the duration. The last thing you need is an eight damage bleed lasting for five rounds at the end of a dungeon because you only brought a few bandages.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

double nine posted:

nu-uh!

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on bandages and antivenoms for the purposes of combat? On the one hand that's money thrown away on the other hand i'm getting into territory where bleed and blight is getting really punishing it feels like

There is a certain large enemy in the Cove that will wreck you with bleed damage.

Other than that I usually leave these at home with on novice and veteran but bring a bunch on Champion.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Highwang posted:

New update! Episode 9: Politics

bit late on the update sorry. Also I'd love to see "House Wang" and "House Chitlin" propaganda posters if any artists/photoshoppers are interested.

Also, a bit torn on what info-post I am gonna do next: should I discuss Quirks and Afflictions or do a write-up on The Cove. Or let me know what you guys want. Either way, kinda need a direction to write in.

You should discuss Quirks and Afflictions, as we've certainly seen them now. You should probably wait with discussing the Cove until you've faced That One Enemy in it.

A few other things:

Liberal and libertarian, two different things, etc.
Did you know you can eat food straight out of the loot received screen? So don't throw it away before you've chowed up!
Abominations are pretty great to play around with. One of my favorite mid-to-late game party lineups involves 1 jester and 3 abominations with +Virtue trinkets.
Also, WHY ARE YOU FINISHING OFF STUNNED ENEMIES WHEN YOU CAN TRY KILLING ENEMIES WHO CAN STILL HURT YOU? WHY?! THINK OF THE ECONOMY OF ACTION! MHN'FTAGH!
*huff* *huff* *puff*
Great lesson on when to throw in the towel, though. Too often people go 'just one more kill and I'll make it' and lose themselves a character w/trinkets or the whole dang party. The sunk cost fallacy is not your friend in this game.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Scribbleykins posted:

Also, WHY ARE YOU FINISHING OFF STUNNED ENEMIES WHEN YOU CAN TRY KILLING ENEMIES WHO CAN STILL HURT YOU? WHY?! THINK OF THE ECONOMY OF ACTION! MHN'FTAGH!
*huff* *huff* *puff*

that depends. If you stun them in the first turn before they get their action, then killing them is a good idea if they have high speed. Chances are they'll act first in the second turn after shrugging off their stun, and when you're dealing with stress dealing enemies, one turn is all they need to be a pain in the rear end.

double nine posted:

Hey, I'll sing praises to pretty much all classes in the game, even the poor Leper. The thing is, if you're not a Vestal/Grave Robber/Jester/Hellion/Houndmaster then you're probably B-team material for me. One of the problems is that I rarely ever get any use of her mark damage, because even when I run an Occultist I prefer to stab stuff in the face/pull annoying enemies to the front instead of marking an enemy for her.

And the Musketeer is obviously better stat wise, because for some reason she never stops critting for me.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Halser posted:

And the Musketeer is obviously better stat wise, because for some reason she never stops critting for me.

Literally just a reskin of the arbalest.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Atomikus posted:

Literally just a reskin of the arbalest.

yes

but my personal biased account says she crits more

so she's obviously better

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I just started a new game, lost Reynauld to three crits in a row on full torch and now the game is making GBS threads antiquarians on me. I have three in the stable and it's week four? Five? Three Vestals too. The gently caress game?

E:I'm barely clawing my way through dungeons because my guys keep getting mega stressed from constant crits (keeping the torch as bright as I can, just bad luck) so I've got tons of support characters while my few damage dealers and meat sacks are working off the stress at home. Week four I had to take the abomination out which made my entire team crazy by the end of the dungeon. I'm barely spending any money in town other than maybe grabbing one skill on one guy and doing one weapon or armor upgrade, but even with antiquarian loot, I'm going broke trying to provision my guys. I think I'll get my footing in a few weeks, but this run started out rough. On the bright side Dismas has gotten a bunch of great traits!

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 27, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Pvt.Scott posted:

I just started a new game, lost Reynauld to three crits in a row on full torch and now the game is making GBS threads antiquarians on me. I have three in the stable and it's week four? Five? Three Vestals too. The gently caress game?

E:I'm barely clawing my way through dungeons because my guys keep getting mega stressed from constant crits (keeping the torch as bright as I can, just bad luck) so I've got tons of support characters while my few damage dealers and meat sacks are working off the stress at home. Week four I had to take the abomination out which made my entire team crazy by the end of the dungeon. I'm barely spending any money in town other than maybe grabbing one skill on one guy and doing one weapon or armor upgrade, but even with antiquarian loot, I'm going broke trying to provision my guys. I think I'll get my footing in a few weeks, but this run started out rough. On the bright side Dismas has gotten a bunch of great traits!

Sometimes the game just deals you a terrible hand.

In my most recent playthrough I only had the "discretion is a better part of valor" pop up show up in the veteran Hag boss. Before that, no one had ever reached Death's Door.

On another playthrough everyone goes nuts in the second dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Highwang posted:

New update! Episode 9: Politics

bit late on the update sorry. Also I'd love to see "House Wang" and "House Chitlin" propaganda posters if any artists/photoshoppers are interested.

Also, a bit torn on what info-post I am gonna do next: should I discuss Quirks and Afflictions or do a write-up on The Cove. Or let me know what you guys want. Either way, kinda need a direction to write in.

Out of all the mods you could use for XCOM2, the only one you used is one that puts in trash 4chan memes? This video just serves as proof that Highwang is some kind of monster.

• Locked thread