Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Has anyone who has lived in a particularly noisy part of the ship ever used noise canceling headphones/earbuds to sleep? Normal flange earplugs just didn't quite cut it for me living under the cat during my first underway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Red Crown posted:

Has anyone who has lived in a particularly noisy part of the ship ever used noise canceling headphones/earbuds to sleep? Normal flange earplugs just didn't quite cut it for me living under the cat during my first underway.

I lived under the cat and it didn't take long for me to get used to it with just the foamies. Also, I have hearing loss now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Red Crown posted:

For the first 96 or so hours you get progressively more tired until you pass out while jets are slamming off the deck right over your head and you never have any problems after that. I slept under cat 1 and 2 for 4 years and i only have to have people repeat poo poo 3 times for me to understand it now.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
No loads will wake me up though, once. Then I'm good. Normal cat shots don't phase me in the least.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The only thing that would absolutely wake me up was the sound of the ventilation winding down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The only thing that would absolutely wake me up was the sound of the ventilation winding down.

That sound would shoot me out of my rack faster than anything else and send my rear end flying to CCS to figure out what the gently caress just happened.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hah, you aren't kidding. Distant 4MC "gribble gribble in the flogbag twirble flerp space" followed by ventilation stopping will get your feet on the floor before the actual announcement is made.

In response to the actual question, the noise-canceling headphones I've used are really pretty good at deadening ambient hum - even at the bargain level - but not great at sudden pitch-changing noise. Which presumably a cat launch is.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ive only heard that one once, I then spent the next 4 hours sitting in an electronics space with a redneck a/c and a thermometer and making reports to the CSO every 15 mins.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There isn't much worse than waking up at to a dead silent ship.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There isn't much worse than waking up at to a dead silent ship.

Been out for 2.5 years now and I still get nightmares about this occasionally.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lou Takki posted:

Been out for 2.5 years now and I still get nightmares about this occasionally.

Been out 4, and in the reserves for 2 now. I still have them. And when I was on LCS as support I instantly started running for forward IC one day when they lost power. Oops.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I generally run for my PS4 in GQ situations. :smugdog:

But seriously even I have trouble getting to sleep for at least the first few nights I'm home from the boat due to the relative with of my home.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Same.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

For the first 96 or so hours you get progressively more tired until you pass out while jets are slamming off the deck right over your head and you never have any problems after that. I slept under cat 1 and 2 for 4 years and i only have to have people repeat poo poo 3 times for me to understand it now.

This. People get so annoyed. It's cute.

My main office was under the forward missile sponson at the end of Cat 3 and 4. Double hearing protection only gonna do so much. The worst was the unexpected touch and go.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

This. People get so annoyed. It's cute.

My main office was under the forward missile sponson at the end of Cat 3 and 4. Double hearing protection only gonna do so much. The worst was the unexpected touch and go.

I will violently scrape metal together on your roof while you sleep.

My squadrons berthing is under the wires. It's fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

engineering casualty engineering casualty...

Our DCC was a pretty good EOOW on last ship, but the dude was loving cursed. Every major engineering casualty I can remember occurred while he was EOOW.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

No loads will wake me up though, once. Then I'm good. Normal cat shots don't phase me in the least.

My berthing was all the way forward on the Reagan one level below . You get all the wonders of jet noise and chain dragging with the added bonus of the cat slamming home at the end of the deck sending vibrations everywhere as the jet takes off.

Every few weeks the vibrations would knock out my rack light. Until another one made it work again.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
On the sub, you would hear your rack fan spin down, the whisper of the 4MC followed by the 1MC followed by the bitching of all the nukes getting up. All of this was of course followed up by falling back asleep.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Welp, looks like I've got some hearing to lose. At least I can take out my nasty, sleep deprived moods on the wretched souls assigned to my watchfloor :unsmith:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Red Crown posted:

Welp, looks like I've got some hearing to lose. At least I can take out my nasty, sleep deprived moods on the wretched souls assigned to my watchfloor :unsmith:

You do not yet know the fury of the sleep deprived enlisted watch lead. I'll never forget when the DOOW made the JOOD have a mental breakdown in control.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ventilation turning off was fire drill time. :argh:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

ded posted:

Ventilation turning off was fire drill time. :argh:

Fifty fifty with a SCRAM, unless it was forward inspection prep time, then it was 100% fire.... Most likely in one of my spaces... :cry:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Null Integer posted:

Fifty fifty with a SCRAM, unless it was forward inspection prep time, then it was 100% fire.... Most likely in one of my spaces... :cry:

They liked to rack us out for nuke only drills. Because gently caress you. Only time they didn't was random midnight nuke drills. Dumb as hell.

edit : actually after a few months out of the yards they figured out how dumb that was because everyone off watch ended up in crews mess and the cooks bitched.

ded fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 27, 2016

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

So the Navy keeps breaking ships it doesn't want.

Just feels right.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So... Raining kinda hard in Norfolk.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Null Integer posted:

So the Navy keeps breaking ships it doesn't want.

Just feels right.

Sometimes I miss the morning huddles at USFF with people like JJ Costello (who is the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever met, no matter how effective) just tearing into the LCS. It really is stunning how much the Navy hates that ship. And yet...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Sunny at Fallon.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Godholio posted:

Sunny at Fallon.

Virginia Beach - also rainy, better than it was 2 hours ago. I don't have sand bags so hopefully it doesn't flood tomorrow.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

We just pulled in and now they want to take us out. :suicide:

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks Hermine for giving me a 4 day weekend.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Cloudy in Suffolk. Not a drop all day.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Downright pleasant in Arizona

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Haha yall are still in

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Sometimes I miss the morning huddles at USFF with people like JJ Costello (who is the biggest piece of poo poo I've ever met, no matter how effective) just tearing into the LCS. It really is stunning how much the Navy hates that ship. And yet...

An old man who spent his entire career training to go toe to toe with the Soviet Union doesn't like LCS?!? :monocle:

Also gently caress JJ Costello. He was one of my top reasons for wanting to leave the East Coast.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anita Dickinme posted:

We just pulled in and now they want to take us out. :suicide:

I just ditched town and I'm up in DC for the night. Tomorrow starting my first trip to NYC.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So, looks like the Pilot/NFO board got pushed back a month, sucks for the guys waiting hear back, but now I have enough time to finish my packet sooner instead of submitting in January! :dance:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Is there anything else you think you might want to go do in life? If the answer is "yes" really take a hard look at doing that and not this

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

An old man who spent his entire career training to go toe to toe with the Soviet Union doesn't like LCS?!? :monocle:

For all the (much of it deserved) making GBS threads on the LCS program, I've learned more about being a professional mariner and driving ships in 2 weeks of LCS OOD school than all of ADOC and BDOC. At least these SWOs will go out into the fleet and take some of that knowledge with them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
And then they'll promptly forget it all at shore duty and never get a chance to practice again as a department head when they return to sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I distinctly remember an ex-LCS-DH screaming about how wind was made on the bridge when a squadron gave us a terrible anchoring point the we would later have to move on and reanchor from. Before that, fetch was a thing that dogs and children do.

• Locked thread