Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Gervasius posted:

So, about US DDs - I just elited the Clemson and I love it. Is the rest of the line good and fun? Nicholas is also supposed to be very good, right?

I enjoy US DDs - but just know that you won't get longer range torps until the Mahan (9.2km upgraded), and that C hulls are traps (DD AA is useless compared to another 5" gun). I'm saving for the Benson at the moment, just unlocked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The German cruisers are some of the all-around most balanced cruisers in the game. You get good AP, great reload speed, and two racks of torps per side for brawling. The tradeoff is that you have light armor, subpar speed, and small health pools. They're great from t5 on with no real stinkers except for the t4 Karlsruhe (and maaaaybe the t8 Admiral Hipper)

The HE isn't that good, which can be annoying when fighting destroyers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The German cruisers are some of the all-around most balanced cruisers in the game. You get good AP, great reload speed, and two racks of torps per side for brawling. The tradeoff is that you have light armor, subpar speed, and small health pools. They're great from t5 on with no real stinkers except for the t4 Karlsruhe (and maaaaybe the t8 Admiral Hipper)

Yorck is a bit iffy, going from Konigs and Nurn AP rail guns to HE mortars is a huge and not particularly fun adjustment

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hipper is amazing when playing your own tier. This is rare though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ice Fist posted:

Colorado trip report: Bought it yesterday fresh and fitted it with mods. Didn't have enough free xp to skip anything. So with the exception of the mods everything else was stock until the last game we played when I had the B hull. Still did pretty well.

I was initially really worried. I had some games that started off as complete and total snooze fests. Nobody was getting in anywhere close to one another everyone was afraid to engage. But that turned out to be the exception instead of the norm. Had some amazing and fun games out of the 9 I played especially once I was in a division with goons.

I bought it as well yesterday, and maybe I just had a bad couple of games, but it's dispersion is taking some getting used to for me. I did use free XP to get the engine and hull upgrades out of the way.

Should I be playing this thing like a New Mex but with better guns or what? I keep reading conflicting advice about it everywhere I look due to the pre-buff rep it has.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

You forgot one other aspect of german cruisers, best range and duration of hydro of any cruiser line. While still packing a respectable AA suite.

Also, when talking of stinkers, the karls would be one, but the t7 yorck is actually the other. The hipper is great and fine. The yorck's problem mostly stems from the aforementioned mortar shots. And before anyone tells me he only, I did he. HE and AP flight is the same on that ship. I finally gave up and free-xped to the hipper and don't regret it at all.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Handsome Ralph posted:

I bought it as well yesterday, and maybe I just had a bad couple of games, but it's dispersion is taking some getting used to for me. I did use free XP to get the engine and hull upgrades out of the way.

Should I be playing this thing like a New Mex but with better guns or what? I keep reading conflicting advice about it everywhere I look due to the pre-buff rep it has.

I was actually far more concerned with unlocking the maximum range than I was the engine and initial hull upgrades. I immediately got the +16% main battery range module and rushed the rangefinder upgrade. The Colorado is so slow even with the engine upgrade that the range is really important because you don't have the speed or maneuverability to get in as close as you need and then get out when you start getting focused by a bunch of people. I felt far better and more comfortable being able to open fire at 19 km than I was at just 15km. Those 4 km can make a world of difference when positioning can mean everything in your tortoise of a ship.

Otherwise yeah it plays a lot like the New Mex with bigger but fewer guns. Being angled is far more important because everything will have bigger guns now too. I also noticed that in general people at this tier are much more tentative about closing the range gap (another reason to care more about the range because poo poo if the rest of your team is going to snipe no sense you being the only one getting wasted by the enemy team). The critical thing I found is to survive until about half of each team is dead. That's when things got brawly and fun and fun and also where I did the vast majority of my damage. I found that I'd do maybe 20-30k damage while sniping, and then just start dominating once things got closer. Recognize when it's time to charge in and commit. It'll pay huge dividends.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

A Tirpitz refusing to go to brawl range and trying to outsnipe a North Carolina or an Amagi is a common sight in tier 8 battles.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, here's a nice König replay that basically shows in a nutshell what german BBs are made for. Also featuring the obligatory exploding Nürnberg. :allears:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

JuffoWup posted:

Also, when talking of stinkers, the karls would be one, but the t7 yorck is actually the other. The hipper is great and fine. The yorck's problem mostly stems from the aforementioned mortar shots. And before anyone tells me he only, I did he. HE and AP flight is the same on that ship. I finally gave up and free-xped to the hipper and don't regret it at all.

The yorck is great, you just need to get a lot closer to the enemy than your range would imply. The AP does shittons of damage to battleship superstructures and easily citadels any cruiser in the game (except for the cleveland because goddamn that cit is tiny) under 10km. It's lost a bit of its place now that the scharnhorst does everything it can do except way better because it can actually tank damage, but it's still pretty powerful.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Magni posted:

So, here's a nice König replay that basically shows in a nutshell what german BBs are made for. Also featuring the obligatory exploding Nürnberg. :allears:

Haha never stop being owned Nürnbergs :c00lbert:

jownzy posted:

Hipper is amazing when playing your own tier. This is rare though.

Yourshepherd can attest to this as every time we've played and he brings it out, he gets uptiered. Almost every single time. We've divved enough so I know this isn't merely anecdotal, maybe 1 out of 10 games he has a favorable tier matchup

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pnutz posted:

or for that matter so few fires with so many secondary hits. Is the tirpitz loaded with those high-calibre ones that shoot AP instead?

edit: don't have a lie-down on the bed before hitting submit

Eh, most of them happened in a close range brawl involving like 5-6 German BBs (2-3 on their side - third might have been a North Carolina, 3 on ours). So the other Tirpitz and Bismarck from my team also involved were likely causing fires to be split among all of us.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Prinz Eugen is out for testing, 45k hp, ~13 sec reload on the guns, ~19 sec turret rotation. Can't tell much more than that yet from what I saw of it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vorkosigan posted:

I enjoy US DDs - but just know that you won't get longer range torps until the Mahan (9.2km upgraded), and that C hulls are traps (DD AA is useless compared to another 5" gun). I'm saving for the Benson at the moment, just unlocked it.
It gives you defensive AA which can be useful to panic squadrons, as well as boosting your AA DPS enough that it might bring down a few planes. I probably wouldn't use it on anything other than the Benson though, which has its rudder shift upgrade locked behind the C hull.

Ice Fist posted:

I was actually far more concerned with unlocking the maximum range than I was the engine and initial hull upgrades. I immediately got the +16% main battery range module and rushed the rangefinder upgrade. The Colorado is so slow even with the engine upgrade that the range is really important because you don't have the speed or maneuverability to get in as close as you need and then get out when you start getting focused by a bunch of people. I felt far better and more comfortable being able to open fire at 19 km than I was at just 15km. Those 4 km can make a world of difference when positioning can mean everything in your tortoise of a ship.
A note to anyone reading this: please get the B hull on the Colorado first at minimum. The B/C hulls have a better dispersion modifier compared to the base hull, and you get non-lovely shells. It doesn't matter if you hit someone if your shells suck. Just remember to put the plotting room mod on so you can hit out to 17.6km.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Insert name here posted:

A note to anyone reading this: please get the B hull on the Colorado first at minimum. The B/C hulls have a better dispersion modifier compared to the base hull, and you get non-lovely shells. It doesn't matter if you hit someone if your shells suck. Just remember to put the plotting room mod on so you can hit out to 17.6km.

Not that you're wrong, because you're not - but that stats line I posted was all with the A hull except for the very last game. I wasn't having any trouble hurting things with the A hull's dispersion and shells.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Team decided to go for the B/C caps, we say so in chat. 5 minutes later a DD is screaming ":byodood: I'm at A all alone loving stupid team nobody helping me!!!" You'd think that after almost 7k games he'd know how to read chat. Or maybe know how to not be a bad.

JuffoWup posted:

Nope. If you look at the flight time in game when your crosshairs are pointed at the same spot, the time for AP is longer than for HE. This is how I first noticed it. I had HE loaded, switched to AP, and suddenly the flight time was like 5 seconds longer. It's not very different up close, but you really notice it near your max range.

e: the muzzle velocity is the same, I guess the AP shells slow down more in flight.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 26, 2016

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

For the Yorck, it's a simple rule:

10km > shoot HE
10km< shoot AP

I really liked the Yorck, to the point I was utterly loath to sell it to get the Hipster. Which I also enjoyed way too much and was loath to sell for the Roon. I don't regret getting the Roon.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Pacra posted:

Haha never stop being owned Nürnbergs :c00lbert:

Yourshepherd can attest to this as every time we've played and he brings it out, he gets uptiered. Almost every single time. We've divved enough so I know this isn't merely anecdotal, maybe 1 out of 10 games he has a favorable tier matchup

In the games I'm not up-tiered in, I average 2000 WTR.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
What's the best credit-farming ship these days? I seem to be getting more and more T7 games in my Murmanks which is decidedly unfun...

I don't really like the idea of paying $50 for a fake internet boat, is the molotov a decent choice if you play smart, or do you spend most of your time getting dunked by T8s? Bite the bullet and go for a scharn or atago?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The tier 7 polish DD is pretty cheap and makes pretty good credits and is fun.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The Third Man posted:

What's the best credit-farming ship these days? I seem to be getting more and more T7 games in my Murmanks which is decidedly unfun...

I don't really like the idea of paying $50 for a fake internet boat, is the molotov a decent choice if you play smart, or do you spend most of your time getting dunked by T8s? Bite the bullet and go for a scharn or atago?

The Blys is a T7 and a DD and therefore :tenbux: :tenbux: less than bigger boats. It won't earn you quite as much but it's very fun!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
On the other hand, its a loving Polish ship so you lose one of the key overlooked benefits of a Premium ship which is being able to train up captains, swap them between ships, and seal club with high level captains. I can't imagine the Poles ever having another ship or line in the game.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Why they haven't put out a premium DD with radar and smoke yet...they *could* actually put out a second Polish DD with that - the Grom.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I just got one-shot in my first game in the Dresden. It may have been the first volley fired in the match. This does not portend well for the German cruiser line. :(

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Third Man posted:

T6s (like the Molotov) are somewhat suffering from the MM changes just like the T5s, and for similar reasons - they're -1/+2. They are in a slightly better spot due to just how many T8s are getting uptiered to fill up T10 games, but still expect to not be top tier an awful lot of the time. T7 is probably your best bet currently, though the T8 premiums (eh, many T8s in general) are still reasonably competitive even in T10.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Third Man posted:

The Molotov is still pretty good, its guns punch way up above its weight class, its speedy in a straight line and has pretty decent secondaries/anti-air. The trade off is that it turns worse then some BB's and has such bad armor on the sides that if you are turning, you will pay for it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Third Man posted:

Get the Scharnhorst Fully Loaded pack. 30 days of premium, 2 million silver worth of upgrades and a ridiculously fun ship.

Also it's OP as gently caress, which means they probably won't sell it again for a long while.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

I just got one-shot in my first game in the Dresden. It may have been the first volley fired in the match. This does not portend well for the German cruiser line. :(

Serves you right for not having bought like 500 packages so you have an unlimited supply of 'never have my magazine explode' flags, scrub. :smug:

(seriously, though - low-tier ships should have a reduced chance of magazine detonations simply to make that low-tier grind just a BIT more tolerable)

Vengarr posted:

Get the Scharnhorst Fully Loaded pack. 30 days of premium, 2 million silver worth of upgrades and a ridiculously fun ship.

Also it's OP as gently caress, which means they probably won't sell it again for a long while.

They'll probably keep it cash only for a very long time. It's clear that they're going to take their time in putting ships up for doubloons.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 27, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why they haven't put out a premium DD with radar and smoke yet...they *could* actually put out a second Polish DD with that - the Grom.

Eh, the lo yang is close enough with smoke and hydro.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I've just discovered Wargaming's stupidest feature. If I'm in Panzy in WoT I cannot join the goonclan in other Wargaming titles. You'd think I'd know this after playing WoT since beta, but no.

Edit

Also, yay for having enough money to blow on premium ship classes and tiers I've got no clue how to play, since I started playing Warships yesterday.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 27, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

I've just discovered Wargaming's stupidest feature. If I'm in Panzy in WoT I cannot join the goonclan in other Wargaming titles. You'd think I'd know this after playing WoT since beta, but no.

A long while back they talked about expanding the clan size to 300 to accommodate Planes and Boats (so players who wanted to play one game, but not another/the others could 'specialize'), but then someone reminded that guy that CW for planes is never going to happen, and CW for boats is scheduled for sometime before the universe collapses in upon itself.

I don't even think with a 300 person cap we could coax 300 goons/former pubbie allies to make a Mega Clan, because there'd be infighting even there, probably over who got to fight and when. I also shudder to imagine how much of a clusterfuck it'd be to manage gold for a 300 person clan.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just had a 109k damage game.

In a Kaiser, lol

Also, we lost. Also I decided to start listening to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack while playing this game and it just so happened I rammed a Kolberg that match so it was pretty awesome times all around.

Edit: Also the Kaiser loving owns. It is a really good tier 4 and I've been having so much fun in it.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 27, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Will british torps be horrifyingly lovely like their aerial torps?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

When I see more than 6 goons in discord at one time I'll start caring about having a clan. Either that or if I find three of the six people wanting to play a tier 10 game. We couldn't even play team games without pulling in rando pubs. We were successful for two evenings.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Will british torps be horrifyingly lovely like their aerial torps?

50-60 knot, 5-14km range on the cruiser torps is the expected thing, no idea on the arbitrary damage

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTBR_WWII.php and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_21_inch_torpedo

Game torpedoes are ~20 knots faster than what they were in real life for gameplay reasons, and ships routinely get torpedoes they never had for the same reason.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 27, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A long while back they talked about expanding the clan size to 300 to accommodate Planes and Boats (so players who wanted to play one game, but not another/the others could 'specialize'), but then someone reminded that guy that CW for planes is never going to happen, and CW for boats is scheduled for sometime before the universe collapses in upon itself.

I don't even think with a 300 person cap we could coax 300 goons/former pubbie allies to make a Mega Clan, because there'd be infighting even there, probably over who got to fight and when. I also shudder to imagine how much of a clusterfuck it'd be to manage gold for a 300 person clan.

What's the verdict here... I play tanks a lot, but mostly solo. Should I switch clans if I want to play boats with goons? Or is there a goon channel in boats?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

What's the verdict here... I play tanks a lot, but mostly solo. Should I switch clans if I want to play boats with goons? Or is there a goon channel in boats?

There is Discord. That works for me.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Is that a us server thing? No one is ever in the old goon channels.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Clans have zero meaning for boats at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nobody is ever in the floatdownhere channel, though. I presume the clan chat is inhabited?