Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Octatonic posted:

I disagree, war, which is just a form of organized murder, which has been with us since the first generation of humans born with sin in their hearts-- the very first to be born. The wicked and jealous Cain, who murdered his brother, and then became the father of vampires some 6500 years ago brought us murder and war. The Hebrons is just another name for the first children, jealous of our place as the favorite creation, and while they rebelled and were cast out, they are not responsible for our atrocities.

Ok so at this point people are cribbing off Vampire:the Masquerade or are literally smoking crack. I knew this thread was easily trolled, but come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tias posted:

Ok so at this point people are cribbing off Vampire:the Masquerade or are literally smoking crack. I knew this thread was easily trolled, but come on

Pretty sure that's :thejoke:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm a little late to this thread. I was wondering what you goons know of the scientific side of conspiracy theories. I'm reminded of this New Scientist article I read nine years ago on the psychological mechanisms underlying belief in conspiracy theories.

quote:

New Scientist: The lure of the conspiracy theory

Was Princess Diana the victim of drunk driving or a plot by the British royal family? Did Neil Armstrong really walk on the moon or just across a film set in Nevada? And who killed President John F. Kennedy - the Russians, the Cubans, the CIA, the mafia… aliens? Almost every big event has a conspiracy theory attached to it. The truth, they say, is out there - but where exactly? Perhaps psychology can help us find at least some of the answers.

Whether you are a dyed-in-the-wool conspiracy theorist, a confirmed anti-theorist, or somewhere in between, one thing’s for sure: conspiracy theories pervade modern culture. Thousands of films, talk shows and radio phone-ins are built around them. US lecture tours from prominent theorists such as radio host Alex Jones can draw audiences of tens of thousands, while books raking over the evidence sell millions of copies worldwide. The internet documentary Loose Change, which claims that a CIA plot lay behind the 9/11 attacks in New York and Washington, is approaching its 10-millionth download.

Belief in conspiracy theories certainly seems to be on the rise, and what little research has been done investigating this question confirms this is so for perhaps the most famous example of all - the claim that a conspiracy lay behind the assassination of JFK in 1963. A survey in 1968 found that about two-thirds of Americans believed the conspiracy theory, while by 1990 that proportion had risen to nine-tenths.

One factor fuelling the general growth of conspiracy beliefs is likely to be that the internet allows new theories to be quickly created, and endlessly debated by a wider audience than ever. A conspiracy-based website built around the death of Princess Diana, for example, sprang up within hours of the car crash that killed her in 1997.

So what has been the impact of the growing conspiracy culture? Conspiracy theories can have a valuable role in society. We need people to think “outside the box”, even if there is usually more sense to be found inside the box. The close scrutiny of evidence and the dogged pursuit of alternative explanations are key features of investigative journalism and critical scientific thinking. Conspiracy theorists can sometimes be the little guys who bring the big guys to account - including multinational companies and governments. After all, some conspiracy theories turn out to be true. Take the Iran-Contra affair, a massive political scandal of the late 1980s. When claims first surfaced that the US government had sold arms to its enemy Iran to raise funds for pro-American rebel forces in Nicaragua and to help secure the release of US hostages taken by Iran, it certainly sounded like yet another convoluted conspiracy theory. Several question marks remain over the affair, but President Ronald Reagan admitted that his administration had indeed sold arms to Iran.
Exploiting fears

On the other hand, there is a dangerous side to conspiracy theories. During the cold war, they arguably played a part in sowing mistrust between east and west. For canny politicians or campaigners, conspiracy theories can be a good way of exploiting people’s fears by promulgating rumours that are difficult, if not impossible, to disprove.

Such beliefs can have a far-reaching impact on people’s lives. For example, over 20 per cent of African Americans believe that HIV was created in a laboratory and disseminated by the US government in order to restrict the growth of the black population, according to a series of studies by Sheryl Bird at Oregon State University and Laura Bogart at Kent State University in Ohio. The people who believe this theory also tend to be more sceptical of government health messages that condoms can stop HIV transmission. These are chilling findings, especially considering that although African Americans constitute only 12 per cent of the US population, they account for nearly half of the nation’s AIDS cases.
“One-fifth of African Americans think the government created HIV to target them”

Unfortunately there has been little research carried out into what kind of events trigger conspiracy theories, who tends to believe them, and why. We do know, however, that people who believe in one theory are more likely to believe in others: there is a good chance that someone who believes the moon landings were faked will also believe that JFK was killed by a second gunman from the infamous grassy knoll.

There are some variations in who believes what, though, as shown by an as yet unpublished study I carried out recently in the UK with psychologist Chris French at Goldsmiths College, London. We found that beliefs in JFK conspiracies are highest among people aged 36 and over, while those between 20 and 35 are most likely to see a conspiracy behind the 9/11 attacks. Surprisingly, perhaps, the youngest age group - 19 and under - are least likely to endorse any theory.

One possible explanation of these findings is the phenomenon known as “flashbulb memory” - the recall of a sudden event, often shocking and international in scale, that affects individuals on a personal level. This type of memory is more easily formed when individuals are between 20 and 35 years old, so for different generations there are certain events - the assassination of JFK, space shuttle Challenger exploding on take-off, the death of Princess Diana - that tend to trigger flashbulb memories. Some of these iconic, shared events can provide fertile ground in which conspiracy theories are sown.

Age is not the only demographic to influence conspiracy beliefs. Several US studies have found that ethnic minorities - particularly African and Hispanic Americans - are far more believing of conspiracy theories than white Americans. In our recent UK study, we found a similar race effect, coupled with an even stronger association between income and belief levels. People who describe themselves as “hard up” are more likely to believe in conspiracies than those with average income levels, while the least likely to believe are the well off.

How can we account for the link between race, income level and conspiracy theories? Theorists tend to show higher levels of anomie - a general disaffection or disempowerment from society. Perhaps this is the underlying factor that predisposes people more distant from centres of power - whether they be poorer people or those from ethnic minorities - to believe in conspiracies.

So what kind of thought processes contribute to belief in conspiracy theories? A study I carried out in 2002 explored a way of thinking sometimes called “major event - major cause” reasoning. Essentially, people often assume that an event with substantial, significant or wide-ranging consequences is likely to have been caused by something substantial, significant or wide-ranging.

I gave volunteers variations of a newspaper story describing an assassination attempt on a fictitious president. Those who were given the version where the president died were significantly more likely to attribute the event to a conspiracy than those who read the one where the president survived, even though all other aspects of the story were equivalent.

To appreciate why this form of reasoning is seductive, consider the alternative: major events having minor or mundane causes - for example, the assassination of a president by a single, possibly mentally unstable, gunman, or the death of a princess because of a drunk driver. This presents us with a rather chaotic and unpredictable relationship between cause and effect. Instability makes most of us uncomfortable; we prefer to imagine we live in a predictable, safe world, so in a strange way, some conspiracy theories offer us accounts of events that allow us to retain a sense of safety and predictability.

Other research has examined how the way we search for and evaluate evidence affects our belief systems. Numerous studies have shown that in general, people give greater attention to information that fits with their existing beliefs, a tendency called “confirmation bias”. Reasoning about conspiracy theories follows this pattern, as shown by research I carried out with Marco Cinnirella at the Royal Holloway University of London, which we presented at the British Psychological Society conference in 2005.

The study, which again involved giving volunteers fictional accounts of an assassination attempt, showed that conspiracy believers found new information to be more plausible if it was consistent with their beliefs. Moreover, believers considered that ambiguous or neutral information fitted better with the conspiracy explanation, while non-believers felt it fitted better with the non-conspiracy account. The same piece of evidence can be used by different people to support very different accounts of events.

This fits with the observation that conspiracy theories often mutate over time in light of new or contradicting evidence. So, for instance, if some new information appears to undermine a conspiracy theory, either the plot is changed to make it consistent with the new information, or the theorists question the legitimacy of the new information. Theorists often argue that those who present such information are themselves embroiled in the conspiracy. In fact, because of my research, I have been accused of being secretly in the pay of various western intelligence services (I promise, I haven’t seen a penny).

It is important to remember that anti-theorists show a similar bias: they will seek out and evaluate evidence in a way that fits with the official or anti-conspiracy account. So conspiracy theorists are not necessarily more closed-minded than anti-theorists. Rather, the theorist and anti-theorist tend to pursue their own lines of thought and are often subject to cognitive biases that prevent their impartial examination of alternative evidence.

How then can we predict who will become believers and non-believers? My hunch is that a large part of the explanation lies in how individuals form aspects of their social identities such as ethnicity, socioeconomic status and political beliefs. The reasoning and psychological biases that create believers or their opposites are fostered by social origins. For conspiracy believer and non-believer alike, there is a kind of truth out there. It’s just a rather different truth that each seeks.
Patrick Leman is a psychologist at the Royal Holloway University of London

From issue 2612 of New Scientist magazine, 11 July 2007, page 35-37

Create the perfect conspiracy theory

Pick your adversary
* A sense of anomie (dislocation from society and authority) fuels beliefs in conspiracy theories, so pick a big bad organisation of some sort - government or big business is ideal

* For added spice, identify a shadowy, secretive society with implied links to your adversary: the more shadowy, the better

Choose your event
* You'll need a big, contemporary newsworthy event around which to weave your theory

* If it’s a sudden, shocking visual occurrence of international import it is more likely to become a “flashbulb memory” for the masses. Your key conspiracy audience, most able to create such vivid “indelible” memories will be between the ages of 20 and 35

Develop your story

* Construct your theory from carefully selected information that weaves together into a compelling story

* If something doesn’t fit, reinterpret it in line with your theory

* Create uncertainty: question existing evidence or find new evidence that contradicts the “official” account

Prepare your defence

* If someone highlights a gap or inconsistency in your evidence, don’t be afraid to tweak your story, but keep the core conspiracy in place

* You can allow the finer details of the theory to mutate, but always keep in mind the maxim - “they did it, I just have to find the proof that they did it”

* Broaden the circle of conspirators to include those who question your position… “they’re denying the truth - they must be involved too!”

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
An anti-vaxxer friend of mine( who gave birth to a daughter last year :sigh: ) shared this: http://darwinian-medicine.com/genome-microbiome-mismatch-a-root-cause-of-the-diseases-of-civilization/

Is it woo? I'm feeling it almost has to be, or it would be a more widespread theory.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pretty sure that's :thejoke:

Ok, my bad. So many shitheads trolling itt I can't tell any more.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Tias posted:

An anti-vaxxer friend of mine( who gave birth to a daughter last year :sigh: ) shared this: http://darwinian-medicine.com/genome-microbiome-mismatch-a-root-cause-of-the-diseases-of-civilization/

Is it woo? I'm feeling it almost has to be, or it would be a more widespread theory.
Looks like a woo propagating some paleo diet with zero citations. Some counter-arguments at wiki

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

People who act like "all disease" has a single root cause (particularly one that can be eliminated through one simple trick) are some of the most frustrating things about this stupid world.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Data Graham posted:

People who act like "all disease" has a single root cause (particularly one that can be eliminated through one simple trick) are some of the most frustrating things about this stupid world.
Simple explanations for simple minds.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Clearly, in their natural state humans never fell sick.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And wild animals too. All that drat modern civilization, with its toxins and its subluxations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Robert Koch and Louis Pasteur invented infection. Think about it sheeple, without them Big Pharma wouldn't exist.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

That's what ever crazy person says, you know.

The study may have been along the lines of "When family and friends believe a schizophrenic person is high, they believe that they're suffering from more delusional behavior regardless of their actual consumption". Which would make a leap to "Pot makes my parents delusional when I smoke it" pretty easy.

No, it was just saying that their studies of pot smokers had reports from parents of the delusional subjects, but your getting the drift there. There *is* some sort of rationality going on with schizophrenics, it just seems to be operating from a whole different plane to non schizophrenics, and that rationality can be understood even if one notes the result of that reasoning is completely barking

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

it's confusing because there are some valid points in there and some dumb trash points. like, the human microbiotic ecosystem is poorly understood and we might actually be damaging our health through powerful germ cleansers and harsh soaps - we've really only been aware of, and trying to control, the microbiotic world for about a hundred years, and a hundred years ago we specifically wanted to kill all the germs because they're bad but now we know a lot of germs are good actually and you can buy foods in stores full of germs to make you poop better.

but positing a link betwen the human genome and the 'ancient environment' whatever that is is pretty dumb

based on the website design alone though i'd flag this as dumb woo poo poo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Popular Thug Drink posted:

in your teens and early twenties you often expand your social circle greatly as you explore your new world as a fully formed adult-ish person. in your late twenties and thirties you end up shedding a lot of those friends for various reasons. incompatible and exlcusive attitudes towards factual reality is a perfectly valid reason to cut off a relationship with an acquaintance or casual friend. at this point in my life (mid thirties) i've booted all the conspiracy theorists and other magical thinkers from my regular social circle and it's only made my life better. i guess it would be more trouble if the person was your bestie from way back. learning to cut off obnoxious, toxic, or otherwise irritating people is an underrated life skill, so long as you don't become some kind of misanthropic hermit or anything. lord knows you'll pick up enough people with goofy political attitudes when you form a lifelong relationship and end up with a whole new crop of crazy family in-laws (i got very lucky there)

I know this was a page ago but holy poo poo people really need to do this early and often. There's so many e/n threads and people just having social/relationship trouble because their circle has literal loving crazy people in it. "No way man, if you aren't hanging out with truthers and cultists and racists you're totally living in an echo-chamber, besides I've known these guys since high school." Like some how not hanging out with people with insane or abhorrent views that annoy the gently caress out of you is pruning your life into an echo-chamber?? I'm not going to cut someone out of my life because we have slightly different views on the role of the state within a potential marxist utopia, but I'm sure as gently caress going to prune you out of my circle if you ramble about turning mecca into glass to sort those terrorists out, or go on about how feminism is a conspiracy to destroy western culture, or love to share the interesting fact that all the jews didn't go to work in the WTC on 9/11.

Don't hang around with crazy people with really really bad opinions. I guess some people are forced into it out of desperation because they live in some garbage town full of garbage people and if you want any sort of friendships or social interactions you have to put up with it?? I had a friend move down to rural California and within any possible social circle she could form she simply had to put up with a majority of the people being libertarians and conspiracy theorists. Vote for Gary Johnson, he'll expose the global warming conspiracy! So it was either just sort of shrug and try to change the topic when anything remotely political came up, or be a total friendless hermit.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 17, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I know this was a page ago but holy poo poo people really need to do this early and often. There's so many e/n threads and people just having social/relationship trouble because their circle has literal loving crazy people in it. "No way man, if you aren't hanging out with truthers and cultists and racists you're totally living in an echo-chamber, besides I've known these guys since high school." Like some how not hanging out with people with insane or abhorrent views that annoy the gently caress out of you is pruning your life into an echo-chamber?? I'm not going to cut someone out of my life because we have slightly different views on the role of the state within a potential marxist utopia, but I'm sure as gently caress going to prune you out of my circle if you ramble about turning mecca into glass to sort those terrorists out, or go on about how feminism is a conspiracy to destroy western culture, or love to share the interesting fact that all the jews didn't go to work in the WTC on 9/11.

Don't hang around with crazy people with really really bad opinions. I guess some people are forced into it out of desperation because they live in some garbage town full of garbage people and if you want any sort of friendships or social interactions you have to put up with it?? I had a friend move down to rural California and within any possible social circle she could form she simply had to put up with a majority of the people being libertarians and conspiracy theorists. Vote for Gary Johnson, he'll expose the global warming conspiracy! So it was either just sort of shrug and try to change the topic when anything remotely political came up, or be a total friendless hermit.

Yeah, I'm always baffled by all the people talking about their friends posting incredibly crazy/stupid things on Facebook. I literally don't have a single Facebook friend (that isn't a relative) who ever posts anything notably dumb, because I don't tend to become (or at least stay) friends with really dumb people. I don't think there's anything wrong with an "echo chamber" if your definition of "echo chamber" is "no one is a bigoted rear end in a top hat."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I just don't know anyone who's sexist or racist or think jews did 9/11. If they do, they know very well they are not within like company and admitting to such a thing would see them shunned.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think usually it's people they met who seem nice enough and them once the person is in the semi-anonymonity of social media the crazy leaks in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think ya'll just getting gang stalked by crazy people.
That or the government is controlling everyone in my social circle to have mostly pretty correct opinions on things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat that's insidious.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think usually it's people they met who seem nice enough and them once the person is in the semi-anonymonity of social media the crazy leaks in.

Yeah most of the crazy conspiracy theorists that I've met were otherwise sane nice people. I think the rest of you just don't have any friends

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Jews didn't do 9/11. that's ridiculent and utterly implausible to any rational and well-balanced mind.
It was the GOD-DAMNED MARTIANS

zimboe fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Aug 19, 2016

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
It's because people accept friend requests from any old random. Why do I want to be friends on Facebook with people who aren't my friends in real life? I've got 100 ish friends on Facebook and that's too many. Needs a culling.

I've had friend requests from friends of work colleagues who turned up at some quick after work drinks for half an hour. Next day, friend request. No of course I don't want to share photo's of me and mine with you, you loving weirdo!

I got accidentally sent email's by an american guy once about his BBQ, I told him II wasn't who he wanted and we had a laugh, but he clearly didn't remove me from his email addresses. Now I regularly get emails he is sending out to his friends about Obama the Muslim, Shillary murdering people etc etc. I don't tell him because I like reading the crazy.

The latest one this week included this video, which is quite simply edited to make Obama seem like he's setting up his NWO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfRtbIQ1kTw

I was going to just look up the original speech and send it back but then he might actually remove me from his address book and I won't get any more vital information like this.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Illuminti posted:

The latest one this week included this video, which is quite simply edited to make Obama seem like he's setting up his NWO

I was going to just look up the original speech and send it back but then he might actually remove me from his address book and I won't get any more vital information like this.

Wow this is fantastic. He's obviously in the middle of saying "these are the things bad people say".

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Illuminti posted:

Just set up some email like concerned+mib@gmail.com and use that to email him back.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Illuminti posted:

Those comments... 'it's fake and edited but it's true!' :downs:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Those comments... 'it's fake and edited but it's true!' :downs:

my confirmation bias is objectively superior :smuggo:

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Just set up some email like concerned+mib@gmail.com and use that to email him back.

Maybe I can convince him he's being gangstalked....

It's actually quite scary, there are what appear to be fully functioning adults out there who genuinely think that Obama could have made a speech like that. Even if he was at Illuminati HQ making a speech, they're unlikely to broadcast it on national television!

How can people be so credulous? And it's not like you can change their opinion by explaining it, the marvellous human brain entrenches itself even more! You'd think everyone would watch that video and see it's fake before it even finished, but logic gets pants and towel whipped by confirmation bias every time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Illuminti posted:

It's actually quite scary, there are what appear to be fully functioning adults out there who genuinely think that Obama could have made a speech like that. Even if he was at Illuminati HQ making a speech, they're unlikely to broadcast it on national television!

How can people be so credulous? And it's not like you can change their opinion by explaining it, the marvellous human brain entrenches itself even more! You'd think everyone would watch that video and see it's fake before it even finished, but logic gets pants and towel whipped by confirmation bias every time.

Obama is a black Democrat who dared to get elected president.

That's it, really.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Illuminti posted:

But that's the gag, you see--he *does* do it, right there on national TV, and people are so conditioned to react with "conspiracy theories are stupid LOL" that they don't recognize what's really going on!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The coded message with the edit timecodes that were used to demarcate THE REAL MESSAGE to the illuminati must have been leaked

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Illuminti posted:

I mean Republicans regularly declare their intentions to do awful poo poo, why wouldn't Obama lay it all out there too? :tinfoil:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Jazerus posted:

I mean Republicans regularly declare their intentions to do awful poo poo, why wouldn't Obama lay it all out there too? :tinfoil:
I know that some people literally believe Obama confirmed aliens in Area 51 because he said that jokingly in Jimmy Kimmel show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYzRY2XpLBk
So yes, conspitards know he is setting up NWO whether he will say it, deny it or joke about it.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
In some lighthearted conspiracy news, I just discovered the conspiracy of the "hanging munchkin" after I was watching a video of the winkie gaurds song, I'm going to assume it's not a fake conspiracy but as always there is someone out there insane enough to believe it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny6Qz2aZdDA

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's more of a longstanding myth/urban legend.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Shbobdb posted:

Then I have no idea how I've never heard of it before it's just such a strange thing to believe that nobody making a movie would leave an actual death in a movie and not notice it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, once you hear the explanation and see what the image really is, it is so obviously correct that it becomes difficult to even imagine that you are looking at someone hanging.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tarantula posted:

Then I have no idea how I've never heard of it before it's just such a strange thing to believe that nobody making a movie would leave an actual death in a movie and not notice it.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicide.asp

Basically since the dawn of home video and people's ability to rewatch the movie allows for noticing weird stuff.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/MoVa4KsXT-Q

One Truth, One Conspiracy, One God

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RagnarokAngel posted:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozsuicide.asp

Basically since the dawn of home video and people's ability to rewatch the movie allows for noticing weird stuff.

Not even watching, "Balrog Wings" was a thing in literary circles for decades.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
A friend on facebook just shared this: http://anonhq.com/european-scientific-journal-concludes-911-was-a-controlled-demolition/

I know it's bullshit, but I'm not really educated enough to recognize whats wrong with it. Can anyone help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Captain Redbeard posted:

A friend on facebook just shared this: http://anonhq.com/european-scientific-journal-concludes-911-was-a-controlled-demolition/

I know it's bullshit, but I'm not really educated enough to recognize whats wrong with it. Can anyone help me out?

For starters there's no reason to believe that one of the architects who designed the towers would know poo poo about the physics of how they collapse--ditto for airplane engineers, who know about how they fly and not about buildings or fire. They would have to systematically disprove everything in the official record and demonstrate why their model is a better explanation for what happened, which a single non-peer-reviewed could never do. I'm guessing they'll never submit to peer review either.

• Locked thread