Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Do you still get pirates interdicting you constantly if you're only hauling literal poo poo, or are they less interested in cramming 8 tons of crap into their combat fit cobra like they should be?

Pirates will interdict you if you have any cargo at all, but they're noticeably more likely to do so if you have mission cargo or engineer commodities in your hold.

Mailer posted:

Wu Guinagi has been good to me, but I'll probably break ~20m tomorrow and was considering an Asp-E setup to make some cash on Sothis before it's eventually nerfed. Is a 5A FSD really required to open this up? It's made up for with one run but a 5B is so much cheaper. The price break between an affordable Asp and a 20m+ Asp (from googling) seems to be the fuel scoop and FSD chosen.

The difference between a 5B FSD and a 5A FSD is pretty big, and the defining feature of Sothis runs is that they are very long-distance. Always spring for the A-rank FSD if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mailer posted:

Wu Guinagi has been good to me, but I'll probably break ~20m tomorrow and was considering an Asp-E setup to make some cash on Sothis before it's eventually nerfed. Is a 5A FSD really required to open this up? It's made up for with one run but a 5B is so much cheaper. The price break between an affordable Asp and a 20m+ Asp (from googling) seems to be the fuel scoop and FSD chosen.

It's like with all things travel related (at least in the bubble): you don't need need it, but it will just make it so much more easier to get things done. If you're still building your way up, definitely go with what seems more sensibly affordable, but also definitely aim to upgrade later.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 26, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tippis posted:

It's like with all things travel related (at least in the bubble): you don't need need it, but it will just make everything so much more easier to get things done. If you're still building your way up, definitely go with what seems more sensibly affordable, but also definitely aim to upgrade later.

Fair enough. In theory after one run none of this will matter anyway. I noticed trying to get down to do my current runs that I literally could not route to it until I got a 2B FSD. Even then I couldn't make the one jump involved without ditching the SCV module, which in hindsight was a pretty :downs: realization.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I can't remember my joystick ratings - is a T Flights Hotas X good? Shopping for a birthday present and there's one in this shop for 35 quid.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Mailer posted:

Fair enough. In theory after one run none of this will matter anyway. I noticed trying to get down to do my current runs that I literally could not route to it until I got a 2B FSD. Even then I couldn't make the one jump involved without ditching the SCV module, which in hindsight was a pretty :downs: realization.

If you can afford an Advanced Discovery scanner before doing your Sothis run, do it. Also don't forget to pack the best fuel scoop you can and keep track of your route. You don't want to run out of fuel. The scans can be sold at Sothis/Ceos to raise standings or to drag them to the FSD engineers for rank upgrades.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

For the price its a great setup. Next level up is $100+. If you want something a little higher end, wait a month for the T1600 based hotas setup to launch. It'll be around $130.

I've been very happy with the HOTAS X.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rasmussen posted:

Where's a good place in the bubble to sell 600 tonnes of literal poo poo from Sothis? I haven't tried that before.

Just drop it in the mailslot of someone we hate? :slick:

Sothis runs are profitable because of missions. The factions there will all offer missions to move something legal (usually biowaste) for several million spacebux. These missions range from really awesome (get 6M for moving 12tons of poopjuice) to kind of not good (get 2M for moving 64t of poopjuice). Just refresh the mission board (or bounce between Sothis-CEOs if you're opposed to board scumming) until you fill your hold with poopies for profits.

There is also a faction there which will pay big bucks for smuggling slaves. I've seen missions >6M to run single-digit slaves to CEOs (one jump away), but I didn't have the rep for it so I kept to my poopjuice.

Mailer posted:

I would use this fit for Sothis runs on that budget: You should be able to outrun NPCs and it will round-trip in ~45 minutes. You can easily make 10M per run in this and if you take your time and only pick the best missions, you can make 30-40M per run. Make sure to fire the ADS every time you jump and sell the explodata to Sothis for faction rep!
https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p5taFflidasnf5------0f---050402B42t012f.Iw18WQ==.IwBjrAmacsQCwgMzIkA=?bn=Sothis%20Asp

You can upgrade the fuel scoop to shorten that time, but it will cut into your cargo so ymmv. :shrug:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

limaCAT posted:

Is it worth upgrading small launch pad ships with engineers mods? (DBS, Cobra)

It's worth upgrading every ship. Small ships get a proportionally larger benefit from engineer mods because they have such limited internal module slots.

Dirty Drive Tuning 5 and Overcharged Power Plant 2 turn the vulture from a great little ship to a hilariously fast and indescribably agile craft with power to spare for any kind of weapon loadout you can think of, instead of just twin pulse lasers. With a good roll you end up with something like this:

This was me when I first tried it out after upgrading the thrusters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZs6yhiRms

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 26, 2016

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I would use this fit for Sothis runs on that budget: You should be able to outrun NPCs and it will round-trip in ~45 minutes. You can easily make 10M per run in this and if you take your time and only pick the best missions, you can make 30-40M per run. Make sure to fire the ADS every time you jump and sell the explodata to Sothis for faction rep!
https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p5taFflidasnf5------0f---050402B42t012f.Iw18WQ==.IwBjrAmacsQCwgMzIkA=?bn=Sothis%20Asp

I'd change the thrusters to 5D, lighter and faster.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Boogalo posted:

For the price its a great setup. Next level up is $100+. If you want something a little higher end, wait a month for the T1600 based hotas setup to launch. It'll be around $130.

I've been very happy with the HOTAS X.
Will they be doing the t16000 throttle seperately? Cause I've already got one of those and I love it.

Bought the hotas x, might be a terrible grognard and get the t16000 throttle for xmas. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
FDev is considering distance restrictions for ship transfers :circlefap:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Why bother with distance restrictions when you can just make it exponentially costly after a certain point? Sure you can ship your corvette to Jacques, it's just going to cost you 9 figures.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

FDev is considering distance restrictions for ship transfers :circlefap:

Set it to max 23,000 Ly. It would be the perfect troll.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

timn posted:

Why bother with distance restrictions when you can just make it exponentially costly after a certain point? Sure you can ship your corvette to Jacques, it's just going to cost you 9 figures.

They could also do something logical like have different delivery speeds.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
For reasons already beaten to death in this thread, having the transfers be anything other than instantaneous is pointless.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Probably because lots of players bought ED on the premise that it's **not** a convenient, press X to go type of game, and this just cheapens the whole deal.

What's next? There's lots of inconvenient things in this game, like supercruise and realistic star systems. There has been pressure to remove anything that takes more than a few minutes and doesn't involve some kind of a reward ever since the game launched, and this move doesn't give us confidence that FD aren't going to cave in to all of them eventually, effectively turning ED into a NMS clone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The logical solution is for people who think it breaks their precious immersion to not use it and not care what normal people do with their time in a single-player+ game.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I dunno, N4I. I bought Elite so I could go pew pew and make space mans go boom. Well, it was that and also Kermit's Pale White Dot video that convinced me to buy in.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Probably because lots of players bought ED on the premise that it's **not** a convenient, press X to go type of game, and this just cheapens the whole deal.

What's next? There's lots of inconvenient things in this game, like supercruise and realistic star systems. There has been pressure to remove anything that takes more than a few minutes and doesn't involve some kind of a reward ever since the game launched, and this move doesn't give us confidence that FD aren't going to cave in to all of them eventually, effectively turning ED into a NMS clone.

Wouldn't the whole ship transfer deal be a move away from an NMS clone? After tall, that game is all about the tedium, and this move removes some of that.

Anyway, what do they think distance restrictions will solve? It'll keep people from moving a fleet to Jacques and that's about it. For everything else, it just becomes a matter of making a stop every n-1 Ly to transfer all your ships as you make your way to wherever you want to go. I suppose it might solve the “I'm camping this T9 but oh no, now he has a Corvette” issue, which won't ever happen anyway and which wouldn't be a problem even if it did…

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tippis posted:

Wouldn't the whole ship transfer deal be a move away from an NMS clone? After tall, that game is all about the tedium, and this move removes some of that.

Anyway, what do they think distance restrictions will solve? It'll keep people from moving a fleet to Jacques and that's about it. For everything else, it just becomes a matter of making a stop every n-1 Ly to transfer all your ships as you make your way to wherever you want to go. I suppose it might solve the “I'm camping this T9 but oh no, now he has a Corvette” issue, which won't ever happen anyway and which wouldn't be a problem even if it did…

It'll preserve their ability to feel like they're some kind of badass explorer god for dragging some low-jump-range ship out to Jaques instead of flying an Asp or Anaconda out there like the filthy casual plebes, and they think it might discourage people from bringing fully-geared ultra-optimized combat ships out there (because as we all know, it's absolutely critical to have a FDL with minimim-size FSD and fuel tank in order to stand a chance against unshielded Asps who are mostly watching Netflix).

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I dunno, N4I. I bought Elite so I could go pew pew and make space mans go boom. Well, it was that and also Kermit's Pale White Dot video that convinced me to buy in.

A good video.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Bumbler posted:

Just focus on high profit trading missions, I aim for anything above 100k per ton.
While I was in Sothis I considered how the payouts work there and immediately it was quite obvious that the smaller the mission overall tonnage, the greater the payout per ton. So a mission to move 8 tons is worth 3.3M (415k/ton), but a mission to move 84 tons is only worth 6.8M (81k/ton). So ideally you want to take 20x 8 ton missions which would be 66.4M credits and require 160T of cargo space. That's your theoretical max efficiency. However, missions spawn from 8 tons to 144 tons so you gotta do a LOT of mission refreshing to get 20x. Here's a graph I made with the reward per ton versus mission tonnage size.

In my Asp, I could make a round trip to the delivery general area and back in 20 minutes, PLUS 5.5 minutes per stop (so one mission would be 25.5 minutes, two missions 31 minutes etc). I tried to determine if flipping the mission board 10 times (~25-30 minutes) to get better missions was better than actually just grabbing whatever they had on one set of flips, then going and doing those and coming back to new missions. I eventually decided it "felt best" to come in, do one flip and take missions, go AFK and pee, get another beer, flip the missions again and go do a run. If you don't mind sitting around all day refreshing missions though, it could be a lot more profitable that I was getting, which was about 12-15M a run (112 cargo space).

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Mine launchers are the answer to the problem. Pirates hate this one crazy trick!
I nearly rage quit this game two weeks after buying ED when I was getting interdicted and losing a fight once every 2 hours, and ALWAYS with a full load of slaves on board. I spent a whole day getting money back up and losing it over and over, then I bought mines mines mines mines mines mines mines mines and started destroying everything that comes for me. When I saw the interdiction text come in, I'd laugh and submit immediately and laugh and laugh as I'd "boil up" everything from Eagles to Pythons. Don't even bother trying to boost away any more in that ship because space pirates don't know what the gently caress is happening to them.

Also thanks again for the engineer guide, I finally did my first SRV data scanning run thanks to you!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nice meltdown.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Has no one proposed that when you open the window for ship transfer there's a fun slider that all the way on the left has tons of cost and is instant, and all the way on the right takes like a day and is free/cheap?

I feel like that's the best of all worlds here.

Also, I'm totally down for instant ship transfers but it does bug me in a weird way that the game is 95% about buying and equipping ships and basically the Asp/Python/Anaconda multipurpose ships are not "decent at all, master of none" so much as "does everything 100% great, slightly slower at combat." Probably a lot of personal bias in that statement, admittedly. I just hate feeling like I have a constant struggle between 'optimal ship with little to no trade off' vs 'cool ship I want to fly that is inferior in some if not most ways.'

At some level I'm worried this will only make the Asp/Anaconda even more The Only Choice, yet at the same time it kinda makes it easier to have a fleet where I don't have to always be flying my travel ship other than, you know, traveling. So hey that's a lot cooler and I'm looking forward to that.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Being able to do different things in a game without having to do atrocious system hopping?
PREPOSTEROUS!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

It's worth upgrading every ship. Small ships get a proportionally larger benefit from engineer mods because they have such limited internal module slots.

Dirty Drive Tuning 5 and Overcharged Power Plant 2 turn the vulture from a great little ship to a hilariously fast and indescribably agile craft with power to spare for any kind of weapon loadout you can think of, instead of just twin pulse lasers. With a good roll you end up with something like this:

This was me when I first tried it out after upgrading the thrusters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZs6yhiRms

That looks like something that melts ships in highres.
Thanks for the input. O7

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Panch posted:

Has no one proposed that when you open the window for ship transfer there's a fun slider that all the way on the left has tons of cost and is instant, and all the way on the right takes like a day and is free/cheap?

Also, I'm totally down for instant ship transfers but it does bug me in a weird way that the game is 95% about buying and equipping ships and basically the Asp/Python/Anaconda multipurpose ships are not "decent at all, master of none" so much as "does everything 100% great, slightly slower at combat." Probably a lot of personal bias in that statement, admittedly. I just hate feeling like I have a constant struggle between 'optimal ship with little to no trade off' vs 'cool ship I want to fly that is inferior in some if not most ways.'

At some level I'm worried this will only make the Asp/Anaconda even more The Only Choice, yet at the same time it kinda makes it easier to have a fleet where I don't have to always be flying my travel ship other than, you know, traveling. So hey that's a lot cooler and I'm looking forward to that.

This is when I recommend you grab one of those "sub-optimal" ships and max trick it out with engineers. Turns out, you can change them all into fun murder/speed/whatever boats if you want. I'm working on an all B rated Turret porcupine Conda with all Grade 5 "heavy/sturdy" mods when available and HRP's fully modded with resistances and Auto Repair units. I only need to get my weapons modded still. So far, it's a lot of fun though, especially with the heat and dmg effects that the Conda displays while taking dmg. It's not optimal, but it sure is a helluva lot of fun.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Panch posted:

Honestly, I feel like ship transfer is gonna help ship diversity a lot, because people will be able to have a travel ship and then switch to a different ship for actually doing stuff at their destination, rather than just flying one ship that does everything because it's too much of a pain to go fetch your specialized ship from wherever it is and then fly it all the way to where you want to do something.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
If I want to know where I am in-game without actually starting up Elite, is the last system listed in the latest log file in "Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs" going to be accurate?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gromit posted:

If I want to know where I am in-game without actually starting up Elite, is the last system listed in the latest log file in "Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs" going to be accurate?

It's what stuff like EDDiscovery uses to keep track of you, as far as I know, so it should be.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It took me about a week. I got 3 missions worth 12 on the first day, then nothing for 4 or 5, then I got 4 missions worth 16 on the last day. The RNG just hates you, keep at it. :unsmith:

Yay, I got 16 MTs in just a few hours in my home system! Finally!

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Where are some good system and planets for ground attack missions?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Taking a break from my Cutter rep grinding to do some Sothis runs. I got tired of ALWAYS getting hassled while scooping on the way back, so I installed a 64-ton fuel tank in my trading Clipper. It's awesome. I can make the journey in one tank, and while I can't ~quite~ stack a full twenty 8-12t missions, who gives a poo poo because the run is 1000x less annoying than it was before.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 27, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, when I headed out to maia to get some meta alloys, I just installed a 128t tank. For moving around the bubble and surroundings, more fuel can definitely be a more comfortable option than a scoop.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I hate scooping and avoid it with extra fuel tanks whenever possible on those long hauls.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Are there any consequences for not completing a mission you've accepted? I accepted a mission to take some info to a station 12 ly away, not realizing that with the starter ship's lovely jump range I'd have to go through about 20 systems, and gently caress that. :downs:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

LostCosmonaut posted:

Are there any consequences for not completing a mission you've accepted? I accepted a mission to take some info to a station 12 ly away, not realizing that with the starter ship's lovely jump range I'd have to go through about 20 systems, and gently caress that. :downs:
Make sure you've got the route planner set to "shortest" rather than "economical", it might be a much shorter journey that way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

A tiny loss in standing and maybe a fine you're carrying valuable cargo.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

LostCosmonaut posted:

You'll take a reputation hit I think equal to the rep gain you were going to get from completing the mission. Also, if they gave you goods to transport then you'll usually get a fine on the order of the value of the goods and you get to keep the cargo, except now they are stolen so can only be sold on the black market.

A corollary to the mines mines mines mines mines pirate defense, I ran got interdicted by a Python last night who had a point defense module which would pew pew all the mines. I only have 2 launchers now because that seems to do the job just fine usually, but I ran out of mines with him at 36% hull. Luckily, in a rare instance where the NPC gets the shorter end of the stick for once, the Python had no hardpoints. Just point defense! So I let the pirate talk smack a while about all the nasty things he was going to do to me while I tried to ram away his last 36%. When it became obvious it wasn't going to happen quickly, I just closed up shop and headed on to the station. He followed me to the station to trash talk a little more before turning tail and running away and I haven't seen him since.

Anyway, the point is that if the interdictor has point defense, mines mines mines could possibly not result in a win, or at least in this case a non-victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

CapnBry posted:

You'll take a reputation hit I think equal to the rep gain you were going to get from completing the mission. Also, if they gave you goods to transport then you'll usually get a fine on the order of the value of the goods and you get to keep the cargo, except now they are stolen so can only be sold on the black market.

A corollary to the mines mines mines mines mines pirate defense, I ran got interdicted by a Python last night who had a point defense module which would pew pew all the mines. I only have 2 launchers now because that seems to do the job just fine usually, but I ran out of mines with him at 36% hull. Luckily, in a rare instance where the NPC gets the shorter end of the stick for once, the Python had no hardpoints. Just point defense! So I let the pirate talk smack a while about all the nasty things he was going to do to me while I tried to ram away his last 36%. When it became obvious it wasn't going to happen quickly, I just closed up shop and headed on to the station. He followed me to the station to trash talk a little more before turning tail and running away and I haven't seen him since.

Anyway, the point is that if the interdictor has point defense, mines mines mines could possibly not result in a win, or at least in this case a non-victory.

I've yet to actually kill anything with mines, they generally avoid them, but they spend so much time avoiding them that I'm able to jump out relatively unmolested so I still consider that a win.

• Locked thread