Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Marvel films target an extremely large audience which ranges from literal children to adults. A "marvel zombies" film would either have to be R-rated or completely without the bite (pun intended) necessary while still demanding the hiring of most of the big-names to have any point at all. It's actually an extremely bad idea for a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

So apparently the plan was if the Russo's couldn't get Robert Downey Jr. For Civil War, the ending to the film was going to use the Madbomb from the classic Jack Kirby Cap story.

http://www.gamesradar.com/captain-america-civil-war-almost-zombie-movie-robert-downey-jr/

The headline sounds like a dramatic exaggeration (surprise, surprise) when the Russo quote is

quote:

There was a period where we did discuss a third act that revolved around the Madbomb

"Hey, what if we use the Madbomb?"
"Nah"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

The Marvel films target an extremely large audience which ranges from literal children to adults. A "marvel zombies" film would either have to be R-rated or completely without the bite (pun intended) necessary while still demanding the hiring of most of the big-names to have any point at all. It's actually an extremely bad idea for a film.

That's a good point.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

WickedHate posted:

I wonder if they'd ever do a Marvel Zombies standalone, with a zombie MCU invading the regular one.

only if it's the part with Ash and Dazzler

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I know Marvel TV is totally subordinate to the movies but a Madbomb was already a big part of Agent Carter season 1.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I know Marvel TV is totally subordinate to the movies but a Madbomb was already a big part of Agent Carter season 1.

That's actually the one show that's on a bit of a different playing field because Feige, D'Esposito, Markus, and McFeely had actual roles in its production.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't feel like Markus and McFeely get a lot of attention for the Cap movies; they did the screenplays for Winter Soldier and Civil War but it's the Russos who get all the attention.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In box office news, Suicide Squad has crossed $270 million domestic and is on track for a $9 million fourth weekend. This is mostly notable because if the numbers play out the way they're predicted to and assuming it doesn't completely collapse continuing forward, Suicide Squad should probably, just barely, close above Man of Steel's total domestic cume ($291 million). Depending on how much life SS still has in it, it might (but probably won't) end up beating MoS both domestically and worldwide - it's at 313 million foreign, in comparison to MoS 377 million.

So, I dunno whether or not WB/DC's gonna look at this as a financial hit. It's most probably a financial success - it'll be crossing 600 million this weekend, and should close somewhere in the 630ish range - but I dunno if the extremely high cost of reshoots and its very large marketing campaign turned this into the huge moneymaker that DC wanted. AT the very least, it does seem to be doing better then BvS, which was an unmitigated disappointment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So coworker and I were talking about Tim Burton and Superman Lives, and how if it had happened we might have gotten a Burton-directed Justice League in the mid-90s. I realized immediately that he would have tapped Geena Davis to play Wonder Woman. So we've got Keaton as Batman, Nic Cage as Superman, and Geena Davis as Wonder Woman, who else is cast in Tim Burton's Justice League (1994)?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Johnny Depp as The Flash
blonde Brad Pitt as Aquaman
Tom Cruise as Green Lantern Kyle Rayner
Laurence Fishburne as Martian Manhunter

That's probably the group they'd run with.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was thinking of Depp as Kyle if anything.

Jeff Goldblum as Despero.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I imagined Sam Niel as Deathstroke for some reason

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I considered that but I thought Tom looked more like Kyle, and Depp in the early nineties was both not really that big a star (he was still sorta transitioning from TV and had only been in a couple of Burton projects at that point) and far less famous then Tom so they'd probably stick him behind a full-face mask over Kyle Rayner's domino.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What part would Winona Ryder have played in Burton JL? I feel like she would have been Burton's Batgirl, but she doesn't have much of a JL legacy. Zatanna?

That's annoying, I can think of a zillion women who have been in the Avengers, but I cannot think of more than a handful in JL, though to be fair, JL doesn't have quite the rotating roster as the Avengers had had.

WB was really smart when they released SS. There was no compeition for weeks after it's release. There was maybe a chance that Ghostbusters or Star Trek may have been a huge hit, but SS had solid hype and DC fanboys will come out in droves on opening night to drive the opening weekend box office to the roof, even with bad reviews.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

What part would Winona Ryder have played in Burton JL? I feel like she would have been Burton's Batgirl, but she doesn't have much of a JL legacy. Zatanna?

That's annoying, I can think of a zillion women who have been in the Avengers, but I cannot think of more than a handful in JL, though to be fair, JL doesn't have quite the rotating roster as the Avengers had had.

WB was really smart when they released SS. There was no compeition for weeks after it's release. There was maybe a chance that Ghostbusters or Star Trek may have been a huge hit, but SS had solid hype and DC fanboys will come out in droves on opening night to drive the opening weekend box office to the roof, even with bad reviews.

Winona Ryder's scrawny physique doesn't really evoke any of the DC superheroines, what with their standard Busty Centerfold builds. I could see her playing Peter David's Supergirl and that's about it, and even then it'd be weird to have her as a blonde.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 27, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
She has the face of Wonder Woman if she wasn't so rail thin.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

twistedmentat posted:

Being the early 90s we could have maybe gotten Grace Jones to be Vixen. :getin: As far as women in the JLA you've got Black Canary, Hawkgirl, Fire, Ice, Zatanna, Dr. Light, Gypsy, occasionally Barda.

I could see Winona Ryder as Black Canary or Zatanna easy.

Lurdiak posted:

Winona Ryder's scrawny physique doesn't really evoke any of the DC superheroines, what with their standard Busty Centerfold builds. I could see her playing Peter David's Supergirl and that's about it, and even then it'd be weird to have her as a blonde.

It's not like Keaton was built like Bruce Wayne or anything. We're talking about a Tim Burton vision here after all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Nic Cage is Superman you're already not too worried about physique.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Its a shame that most of the JLI has fallen into relative obscurity. Would be interesting to see a live action depiction of those characters instead of the usual main stays.

And for the record, I support Hugo Weaving or Liam Neeson as Doctor Fate.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toxxupation posted:

Johnny Depp as The Flash
blonde Brad Pitt as Aquaman
Tom Cruise as Green Lantern Kyle Rayner
Laurence Fishburne as Martian Manhunter

That's probably the group they'd run with.

Here's the problem. It's 1994. Death of Superman has just happened (more or less)

Who's on the JL at this time?

Booster Gold
Blue Beetle
Fire
Ice
Maxima
Bloodwynd
Guy Gardner with a yellow Lantern Ring
Superman

I don't know if the DC of 1994 would have been as pushy about what was in the comics vs movies as it is today. I also wonder if they would have pushed for the most recent Big Event, and insisted that it stick to who was around then, or if they would have gone the more classic route.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cast the entire DCU, I don't care. Let's go big.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I imagined Sam Niel as Deathstroke for some reason
Maxwell Lord for me

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Let's not forget about the Dr Fate of 1994!

Actually I'd watch Nic Cage as xtreme 90s demon hunter Fate

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mover posted:

Let's not forget about the Dr Fate of 1994!

Actually I'd watch Nic Cage as xtreme 90s demon hunter Fate

That's what I was about to say before I scrolled down. It's like the role he was born to play.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Toxxupation posted:

I considered that but I thought Tom looked more like Kyle, and Depp in the early nineties was both not really that big a star (he was still sorta transitioning from TV and had only been in a couple of Burton projects at that point) and far less famous then Tom so they'd probably stick him behind a full-face mask over Kyle Rayner's domino.

Superman Lives was first pitched in 1996, and would have begun filming in 1998, most likely to be released in 1999 or 2000. The hypothetical Justice League movie would thus be a product of the early '00s, also known as the peak of Depp's career. If such a thing had happened, and Depp had been cast, he might not have ended up playing Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean. Both movies would have likely bombed, Depp's career would fizzle out, and he would be a forgotten has-been by 2016.

Some of that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Travis343 posted:

Cast the entire DCU, I don't care. Let's go big.

I nominate Toronto, Canada as Danny the Street.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Chaos Hippy posted:

Superman Lives was first pitched in 1996, and would have begun filming in 1998, most likely to be released in 1999 or 2000.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

If Nic Cage is Superman you're already not too worried about physique.

Whoa, clearly SOMEBODY in this thread needs to watch Con Air!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
90s buff was not the jacked to the max He-Man bodies that we have right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Henry Cavill's leg is bigger than Nic Cage's torso.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but there's no reason for Superman to be buff or cut at all.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lurdiak posted:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but there's no reason for Superman to be buff or cut at all.

or have legs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He wears prosthetic legs for PR reasons.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I want a Booster Gold film, it would be amazing*

*if it were made by Marvel Studios

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I really genuinely believe Booster Gold is a fantastic fit for film. He has a simple enough origin story that allows for comedy and action, can be slotted into an 'extended universe' without dominating it, is a relatively easy cast since there are tons of directions you can go with him and has superpowers that are incredibly screen-friendly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

a blue beetle (ted Kord) and Booster Gold bill and ted adventure would be amazing. they would run into various heroes and villains across time and multiverse.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Give me Raul Julia as Sinestro immediately.

edit: also hello what the gently caress this movie looks dope as hell. It's a Russian superhero project called Guardians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQVdrillxA

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-movie-trailer-2017-russian-923229

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 27, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

SlimGoodbody posted:

Give me Raul Julia as Sinestro immediately.

edit: also hello what the gently caress this movie looks dope as hell. It's a Russian superhero project called Guardians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQVdrillxA

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-movie-trailer-2017-russian-923229

That looks super rad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I do kind of wonder if "every man in movies is incredibly jacked" is going to be a permanent thing because Hollywood can afford to just make having a near-flawless body a prerequisite, or if the style will change again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

You don't know how Kryptonian muscles work!

• Locked thread