Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kimaka posted:

It is such needless drama. It would be so easy to explain. "My brother's life is in danger and I need to help him out." Done.

"Okay, only if you beat me at Crash Bandicoot first"

"......So we go the Malaysia Job permits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Ok, so since Alcazar has no reason to want to stop us, I assume Rafe will be our main mercenary-hiring villain for this set. That said, I do wonder where Alcazar is gonna show up again, cause he seems like too much of a fun character to just leave on the sidelines waiting for his cut until the end of the game. Could potentially get a case of two groups of rich guys with tons of guns and hardware fighting it out while the tiny group of treasure hunters platforms amid the crossfire. And that's not even factoring the probably semi-supernatural faction joining the fight at the end.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kimaka posted:

It is such needless drama. It would be so easy to explain. "My brother's life is in danger and I need to help him out." Done.

I don't think Drake has told Elena that he has a secret brother is the thing, so it might actually not be as easy as that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My first thought when I saw Sam was "I can't believe Flynn's back." They have the same hair.

Also, there is no creditor in the world as thorough at pursuing debtors than there are in Uncharted.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zagglezig posted:

Ok, so since Alcazar has no reason to want to stop us, I assume Rafe will be our main mercenary-hiring villain for this set.
Elena will hire mercs to give Nathan one last adventure of a lifetime but without him getting horribly injured. I'm going to imagine from this moment on that the rest of the story is that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Ach, Nate's reaction to Sam's returning doesn't seem... sincere enough, even though the animations are great.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nathan no dont like to elena :(

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It's pretty dumb for Nate to lie to Elena like that, considering she's probably going to ring up Jamison in about five minutes to say "Congrats on the permits! This'll be a really good thing for Nate, he hides it but he needs to scratch that treasure-hunting itch." Then the jig is up about five seconds after that. Plus, he needs to warn her ASAP that there's a sociopathic drug lord who's probably looking to kidnap her as extra incentive - forewarned is forearmed.

Still, this is already way more compelling than previous Uncharted games as a driving force for the plot. Don't get me wrong, previous UC games are also great, but "I want treasure real bad" doesn't hold a candle to "this sweet couple is about to go through the wringer probably more than ever before."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not gonna lie, I love the game but I groaned real hard when he lied to her about where he's going because come on now, who here doesn't know exactly where that's going to lead already. (the answer is nobody, everybody knows where it's going)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Nathan Drake makes very good decisions, always

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CJacobs posted:

Not gonna lie, I love the game but I groaned real hard when he lied to her about where he's going because come on now, who here doesn't know exactly where that's going to lead already. (the answer is nobody, everybody knows where it's going)
Its almost the worst cliche TV bullshit; the worst is of course "He's/She's standing right behind me isn't she/he?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm hoping the very next scene is "I love you, but you're an idiot. Let's go get that treasure."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bruceski posted:

I'm hoping the very next scene is "I love you, but you're an idiot. Let's go get that treasure."

“What, the Avery treasure? Yeah, we found that one last year — didn't you watch the 4-episode special? You never pay attention to my work!” <cue the rest of the game being an 8-hour domestic row presented as a quicktime event>

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 27, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
(Press X to point out nagging) and suddenly Elena is throwing Drake through a window and he's like OHOHOHH CRAP

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

(Press X to point out nagging) and suddenly Elena is throwing Drake through a window and he's like OHOHOHH CRAP
Fortunately, he now has the grappling hook.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meanwhile, having actually watch said special, Alcazar discovers the Drake family connection and decides to pay a visit but is shot from behind at the last second by the game's true hero, Sully, who have been watching from the shadows all this time. Everyone lives happily ever after. Except Rafe who's stuck in Scotland.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ometeotl posted:

I know we're all having fun admiring all the details and nice touches and whatnot in this game, but "they reused an area from earlier and it didn't spontaneously morph into something else" isn't exactly one of them.

It is when the areas are contiguous, laid out sensibly to the functions of the location, and navigated across two overlapping routes designed to different gameplay models at different parts of the game.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

achillesforever6 posted:

Its almost the worst cliche TV bullshit; the worst is of course "He's/She's standing right behind me isn't she/he?"

You just don't get it, do you?

e: they haven't used that yet right? if I hear it I'm OUT

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 27, 2016

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

We're not so different, you and I...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KoKWf6pLs8

welcome to hell

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

We're not so different, you and I...

That one was Uncharted 2.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

I should have killed you when I had the chance!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

I should have killed you when I had the chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vsed-yU8kA

W E L C O M E T O H E L L

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

That one's kinda okay if it's played for humour instead of drama

but only once.

edit: and also if it's not actually said out loud

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

That one's kinda okay if it's played for humour instead of drama

but only once.

It only works in the Futurama version — “No, I'm standing right in front of you.”

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I don't know why Nate doesn't bring Elena.

Elena shot a grenade launcher on a jetski. That takes talent.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 27, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Unbeknownst to Nathan, Elena is actually having brunch with Jameson that very minute as they brainstorm ways to reawaken Nathan's lust for treasure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think Drake has told Elena that he has a secret brother is the thing, so it might actually not be as easy as that.

"Elena I have a brother who I thought died but didn't."

" Nate that is very contrived".

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

"Elana we've destroyed ancient civilizations like three times over the past decade. How is me having a lost brother any more contrived."

"Well you never mentioned him"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlestheHammer posted:

"Elena I have a brother who I thought died but didn't who is now asking me to travel halfway across the world and I have to leave right now or else he will be killed by the mafia" is slightly more contrived.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I forgot the word secret.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Since Nate doesn't know he lives in a cover-based shooter with regenerating health and he's dealing with murderous psychopaths he might be concerned about, y'know, his wife's life or something

edit: there's literally no way Elena wouldn't muscle her way into the operation if he told her what it's about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If he doesn't know by this point the boy may be a little slow.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Elana would be better armed if warned that there may be psychopathic south american drug lords out for the blood of anyone connected to the Drake name. Like, she can take care of herself. If she is aware she needs to take care of herself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

If he doesn't know by this point the boy may be a little slow.

Well yeah, but them's the breaks on being a protagonist, you're not allowed to notice unless you're Deadpool.

I mean we all know Elena's going to be involved in this whole mess later on anyways, but again, Drake doesn't know he lives in a scripted piece of entertainment media

edit: to be honest, i wouldn't notice either with the amount of detail in that house i'm living in, it's VERY convincing

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Tashilicious posted:

"Elana we've destroyed ancient civilizations like three times over the past decade. How is me having a lost brother any more contrived."

"Well you never mentioned him"

"To be fair I almost didn't tell him I was married."

"Nathan, what the gently caress?"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Let's see…

Elena has tracked down Nate in the middle of a jungle, twice; in a far-off Nepali village; on a random shore somewhere along the Arabian or Red Sea; and she has busted him out of a pacific island prison. She also knows how to keep up with trains and aeroplanes in a jeep.

Everyone should just hire Elena instead — she's probably better at finding stuff than any of the Drakes are.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

"Elena, I was trying to be retired, I really was; but my brother- who I thought died 15 years ago- just showed up at my job to tell me that he owes a crimelord 200 million dollars in gold."

"(Please don't say you're going to the authorities, please don't say you're going to the authorities, please don't say you're going to the authorities.)"

"So we're going to go hunt down Avery's treasure before some goon comes looking for Sam's organs."

"Oh thank god."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

When Nathan was inside and leaned against the door and Sam went all "Hey, hey! You're not gonna pass out on me, are you?" or whatever, at first I thought he had spotted the pretty obvious ring on Nate's left hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Let's see…

Elena has tracked down Nate in the middle of a jungle, twice; in a far-off Nepali village; on a random shore somewhere along the Arabian or Red Sea; and she has busted him out of a pacific island prison. She also knows how to keep up with trains and aeroplanes in a jeep.

Everyone should just hire Elena instead — she's probably better at finding stuff than any of the Drakes are.

The real reason Drake's lying to her is that he wants to impress his big brother and doesn't want Sam to see how much better Elena is at everything.

• Locked thread