Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

ALFbrot posted:

Wasn't there a time when Greg Kinnear was kind of cool and had a promising movie career ahead of him

Yes. When he hosted Talk Soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

confused posted:

Yes. When he hosted Talk Soup.

God he was one of my favorite hosts. The Many Faces of Greg Kinnear was always great.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

ALFbrot posted:

Wasn't there a time when Greg Kinnear was kind of cool and had a promising movie career ahead of him

He was good in Auto Focus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15ydlXoHt8

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Like I remember him being acclaimed for As Good As It Gets, and Auto Focus is cool, and Little Miss Sunshine was a critical darling.

What happened that made him do Magical Negro and Heaven Is For Real?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Could be said of everyone in that trailer. Alas, they're shitlords now...

Really? I know that Jon Voight is a poo poo of a man, but is it known for a fact that Kinnear is a conservative Christian? That's depressing, if so...I've mostly liked him in everything I've seen of his.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Oh man, that looks so good and like it should get all the oscars, but with that title I originally thought it might be a White-House-Down style movie. Shame.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

resurgam40 posted:

Really? I know that Jon Voight is a poo poo of a man, but is it known for a fact that Kinnear is a conservative Christian? That's depressing, if so...I've mostly liked him in everything I've seen of his.

Oh, no I mean I just decided they're all shitlords, using an advanced form of subjective voodoo.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

resurgam40 posted:

Love too dislike people simply because of their religion

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

effectual posted:

Oh man, that looks so good and like it should get all the oscars, but with that title I originally thought it might be a White-House-Down style movie. Shame.

huh, I was just reading about the subject of this film on the internet. I wonder if it will go into the fact their son is the President of Botswana.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Unless they happen to be Muslim, of course. That would be racist.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

I enjoyed the this movie, but it's been almost 20 years since I've seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6ACpmRYc8

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Never heard about the dude, and I doubt it's going to be the focus of the movie itself if really mentioned at all (beyond him saying he loves his people), but he seems like he was a remarkably talented and dutiful politician who absolutely deserves wider recognition.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Never heard about the dude, and I doubt it's going to be the focus of the movie itself if really mentioned at all (beyond him saying he loves his people), but he seems like he was a remarkably talented and dutiful politician who absolutely deserves wider recognition.

Spoilers if you didn't know this already, but he led the independence movement that turned the British protectorate into the democratic nation of Botswana and served as the country's first president. The country had one of the fastest growing economies in the world afterward (But eventually got hit hard by HIV).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bugblatter posted:

Spoilers if you didn't know this already, but he led the independence movement that turned the British protectorate into the democratic nation of Botswana and served as the country's first president. The country had one of the fastest growing economies in the world afterward (But eventually got hit hard by HIV).
That's the reason I wrote what I did. :) I mean, obviously he didn't do it entirely on his own, but he probably did a whole lot to prevent the country from falling into the same kind of traps that so many other African states did upon independence.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

resurgam40 posted:

Disliking someone because of their religion kind of makes you a poo poo of a man, friend

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I see GBS wandered in here. The key word there is "conservative," not "Christian;" in modern American English, "conservative" is a direct synonym for "idiot hellfucker."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the_american_dream posted:

Disliking someone because of their religion kind of makes you a poo poo of a man, friend

not if their religion is bad.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Groovelord Neato posted:

not if their religion is bad.

Yeah, the religion they flow ain't Christian, but conservatism.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I see GBS wandered in here. The key word there is "conservative," not "Christian;" in modern American English, "conservative" is a direct synonym for "idiot hellfucker."

This, pretty much. It's not the Christian part I'm looking askance at, even the Evangelical part- it's the part that advocates a simple, shoddy religious doctrine that promotes division between races, sexes, and religious doctrine; shits on the poor and fellates the rich; and pretty much ignores anything Christ actually taught in favor of apathy, hatred, and self serving greed.

I mean, just look at the tone of the trailer in question- you have two white people deciding to help a poor black man not because he needs or asked for their help (and certainly not because of the socioeconomic forces that made him and others like him homeless, oh no, that would make people uncomfortable), but to make themselves feel like good Christians, and this surge of faith not only uplifts the black man in question, but he also uses his Magical Negro powers to Save Their Marriage(tm). Just the title is enough to make one's eyes roll so hard they exit the skull. And this isn't the only movie of this kind Greg Kinnear has done; most of the stuff he's done lately has had that sort of "don't ask questions or be kind to people, just believe" feeling to them, which prompted my question. It's not that I find it sad he's doing Christian movies or even is a Christian; I just find it sad that he might believe in that Supply Side Jesus mindset- because I don't respect those people, and never will.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's the reason I wrote what I did. :) I mean, obviously he didn't do it entirely on his own, but he probably did a whole lot to prevent the country from falling into the same kind of traps that so many other African states did upon independence.

Botswana is probably one of the best functioning African countries, and has been for decades. It helps when you have politicians more interested in running a country than getting rich/powerful.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
FYI y'all have permission from your devout Christian friend Jenny to say that these posts are dumb as gently caress

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I feel like people have posted TV trailers here in the past?

Westworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Welp Sir Anthony Hopkins creeping me out once again like nobody else can. God he's good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

When they first made the announcement, I wasn't all that interested.

But I have to say, this is looking like it could be really good. Almost like a techno-Servile War with Ed Harris in the part of Spartacus.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I feel I need to stop and take a moment on how Dev Patel nailed the Australian accent.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rougey posted:

I feel I need to stop and take a moment on how Dev Patel nailed the Australian accent.

I was ready to be sceptical because nobody ever gets the Australian accent right, but that was pretty drat good.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jenny Angel posted:

FYI y'all have permission from your devout Christian friend Jenny to say that these posts are dumb as gently caress

Tolerance is optional. Good point.

Seems to not exactly jibe with how you usually post though

Edit: I'm not trying to have a last word here, yall got it. I just find the hypocrisy funny. Carry on with the trailers movie loving friends 😊

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 30, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lion looks like it could be real good

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

I feel like people have posted TV trailers here in the past?

Westworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4
I'm sure the show itself will be good, but I still have no idea what it's about. Clearly there're sci-fi and Western elements... Beyond that I'm not so sure.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Tolerance is optional. Good point.

Seems to not exactly jibe with how you usually post though

Man I don't even know how I'm meant to usually post but uh yeah, "tolerate this intolerance" is indeed dumb as gently caress

To be a little less glib about it, "tolerance" is a dodgy goal in the first place, because it implies this sort of ahistorical lack of context that sorta melds the lived experiences of women, people of color, LGBT groups, marginalized faiths, etc. into this lazy milieu of "hey man I don't see color, we're all equal". It ignores the specific needs for justice that have piled up for these groups in question on account of the history they've suffered in favor of a contentless "let's be polite". You tolerate when the sound system at the grocery store starts playing Macklemore because you know you're getting out of the place in two minutes anyway. Hopefully you (the general you, I'm not interested in casting implied or direct aspersions on you specifically) extend a little more than that towards gay people, and so on

Specifically, what you extend is radical love, the kind that Christ preached, the kind where you champion the dignity and indeed the practical safety and comfort of those who have been targets of institutional prejudice. The equivocation with those-poor-defenseless-evangelicals breaks down here because they're not the prostitutes and adulterers in the analogy, they're the Pharisees, they're exactly the people that Christ spoke out against with passion and contempt. They're the people that enjoy positions of great societal comfort and influence, and who use that influence to withhold justice from those that they've identified as undesirables. Christ never spoke about how we must tolerate the Pharisees, lest we become just as bad as them, or whatever horseshit. Instead... he dunked on them, over and over and over and over and

If we go back to the original post that sparked this pearl-clutching, resurgam wasn't worried that Kinnear might be - gasp, a Christian, like 71% of Americans - but that his faith might be the kind that would inform his decision to star in a movie that appears to espouse some grossly paternalistic racism. That's been made abundantly clear in the various follow-up posts to resurgam's first, and it was honestly already clear in that first one too, but there's this weird insistence from your end that the content of those posts is entirely "Christianity bad", and that "tolerance" must be extended to all of Christendom, even when the issue at hand is that this specific brand of Christendom has a wholly inadequate understanding of what "tolerance" towards people of color entails

And I mean like, this is why I contextualized my previous post by confirming that I'm a devout Christian myself. If there was any more need for confirmation that the argument at hand wasn't "Christianity bad" (there was no such need), I wanted to confirm that I, as a Christian (the most insidious kind of intolerant internet atheist of all?), agreed with the criticisms being levied of this specific form of Christendom. Which, y'know, is part of my job as a Christian: to criticize the failures of Christendom to adhere to the teachings of Christ, and to the pursuit of justice in this world and in the next one, whenever they are apparent. Paul told me to test everything and to hold fast to what is good. Christ told me to hate my own father and mother and wife and children and brother and sisters

And so I do

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vegetable posted:

I'm sure the show itself will be good, but I still have no idea what it's about. Clearly there're sci-fi and Western elements... Beyond that I'm not so sure.

It's Pirates of the Caribbean but the pirates DO eat the tourists.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

It looks like Jurrasic Park but with androids. But in reboot the it's from the androids point of view.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

It looks like Jurrasic Park but with androids. But in reboot the it's from the androids point of view.

Actually, Jurassic Park was Westworld, but with robots.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just dont watch Futureworld.

The movie with 3 sets.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vegetable posted:

it's based on a book that's been around for decades that already had a movie.

this is like when people got pissed bridge to terabithia wasn't narnia despite it being assigned reading in grade schools across the country.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's based on a book that's been around for decades that already had a movie.

this is like when people got pissed bridge to terabithia wasn't narnia despite it being assigned reading in grade schools across the country.

Westworld is by Michael Crichton but I don't think it was ever a book.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah you're right i'm a retard. i forgot he was a tv writer too.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/anyacrittenton/status/770759184035885057

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

flosofl posted:

When they first made the announcement, I wasn't all that interested.

But I have to say, this is looking like it could be really good. Almost like a techno-Servile War with Ed Harris in the part of Spartacus.

Spoilers for Westworld (2016): Ed Harris isn't playing a robot. This sentence is here so people won't see the length and think "Oh, he must just be saying Ed Harris isn't a robot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
What?

• Locked thread