Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
standard laservomit Timbers (2 LPL/4 ML) or newer-meta 2 ERPPC/1 Gauss ones are absolutely brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The double UAC10 build is surprisingly good. It looks super underwhelming but always puts out good results for me, and I've never had a friend try it who didn't like it. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=165&l=b65d208a27c4bafd51e73cd60ddfd3d7ce3c7c31 As an added bonus, everyone will see the laser hump and go for that really hard only to realize that they hosed up while you pelt them with unending autocannon fire.

Also, the brawling build is stupid but I like brawling so here have it I guess: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=163&l=259502b0052236b57e513bf257d26688e9ea54d8 This thing should be savage, it goes 87kph, has crazy firepower, artemis, good armor and hitboxes and good heat management, but even though I love brawling I can just never really get this thing to work for me. Ammo is a bit tight to, so don't waste shots.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Using LRM's on it is probably why. I tried the LRM Timber Wolf and got really freaking bored of it rather quickly. Swapped it to 7 MPLs and am having tons of fun with it. It does dish out damage and it does take hits better than the Stormcrow, but it has a similar playstyle. You just have more wiggle room by being 20 tons heavier.

I usually stick with 2Lpls 4 ermls and its the same result. With the crow its much easier to pop into cover and avoid hits outright.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

I bought a HBK-4J because I wanted to try out LRMing and it turns out that LRMing sucks.

Any advice on making them suck less?

Hide about 1.5km behind the back of the nearest most rearwardly positioned team mech. Demand people hold locks for you and blame them for every loss.
Scream about this over VOIP if they don't comply.

If you even SEE an enemy mech directly hide behind the nearest large rock for at least 30 seconds, just in case. You should hold your fire during this time too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

aniviron posted:

Also, the brawling build is stupid but I like brawling so here have it I guess: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=163&l=259502b0052236b57e513bf257d26688e9ea54d8 This thing should be savage, it goes 87kph, has crazy firepower, artemis, good armor and hitboxes and good heat management, but even though I love brawling I can just never really get this thing to work for me. Ammo is a bit tight to, so don't waste shots.

4 SPL's instead of the UAC 20 fix the ammo problem :colbert:

They do generate a bit more heat though :v:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Hide about 1.5km behind the back of the nearest most rearwardly positioned team mech. Demand people hold locks for you and blame them for every loss.

If you even SEE an enemy mech directly hide behind the nearest large rock for at least 30 seconds, just in case. You should hold your fire during this time too.

Don't forget to declare your lrm prowess at the start of each match.

I dunno where or how the goon legend of the lrm hunchback got started, we should stop propegating the myth. No goons I've played with run it except for when we're bored and are all "wouldnt it be funny if we all brought lrms and narcs?"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Willfrey posted:

Don't forget to declare your lrm prowess at the start of each match.

I dunno where or how the goon legend of the lrm hunchback got started, we should stop propegating the myth. No goons I've played with run it except for when we're bored and are all "wouldnt it be funny if we all brought lrms and narcs?"

It's in the OP. The TAG Catapult C4 is pretty funny, but bad. I also thought that slapping a LRM10 and gauss on a Cent was a good idea. Bad at winning games but real good at printing credits.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's in the OP. The TAG Catapult C4 is pretty funny, but bad. I also thought that slapping a LRM10 and gauss on a Cent was a good idea. Bad at winning games but real good at printing credits.

ugh, we need to give up on the op and just change it to a metamechs link.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the LRM hunchback at one point was the best LRM mech if you really needed to LRM

like it's still an LRM boat but it has crazy quirks for it and is only a medium so you won't be taking up that much tonnage

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

aniviron posted:

The double UAC10 build is surprisingly good. It looks super underwhelming but always puts out good results for me, and I've never had a friend try it who didn't like it. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=165&l=b65d208a27c4bafd51e73cd60ddfd3d7ce3c7c31 As an added bonus, everyone will see the laser hump and go for that really hard only to realize that they hosed up while you pelt them with unending autocannon fire.

The 2 uac10 build is great... Not used to putting them in the arm, but it WAS great.

The other has no ammo. It's the guy that is shut down until there are 4 other robots left. And it murders them. But dropping withe randos kills that, you have to have a plan for that guy to work.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Willfrey posted:

ugh, we need to give up on the op and just change it to a metamechs link.

Yeah. Nobody cares enough to keep the builds in the OP up to date or free of trolling garbage.

Here's the Scylla, also by Plog. I don't really have any reason to post it besides the fact that I want to.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The best thing about the Scylla are the dumb, purely cosmetic fingers.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Just saw a Nova with 3 medium pulses and an LRM15.

I just...I don't know.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Just saw a Nova with 3 medium pulses and an LRM15.

I just...I don't know.

nova actually gets decent spread and cooldown with the newly available loyalty missile arm pod.
That's probably why.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The 4ASRM6 4SPL Timberwolf is probably still my favourite and best mech. It requires a lot of patience to wait for the initial engagement to subside a bit, but it is absolutely lethal if you can get in close.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

No, you have correctly divined the secret of LRMs.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Are you using them as a Medium Range (400-600-ish) weapon while acquiring your own locks?
If no, do that.
If yes, that's it. That's as good as LRM's get.

As I feared. I should have known better.

DancingShade posted:

My computer is set to self destruct if I ever type the phrase "LRM Boat here, hold locks!" in game.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 27, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

I think I just discovered a reason to start playing again and shall make this my gimmick. (serious post)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ambaire posted:

I think I just discovered a reason to start playing again and shall make this my gimmick. (serious post)

It's not much of a gimmick if it makes you indistinguishable from a non-negligible number of regular pubbies.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Any time I run lrms I tell the team I'm bad at robbits and need them to press R so I can get kills.

Personally my favorite Timbro build has become 2 uac5 4spl with just enough heatsinks to be heat neutral on everything but caustic and terra.

Scallywag
May 13, 2011

Go away
I'd like to try this.

In-game is Ahoyy, add me to anything & also play with me.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Scallywag posted:

I'd like to try this.

In-game is Ahoyy, add me to anything & also play with me.

Hang around in mumble of an evening to get a game.

quote:

Server: mumble.goonrathi.com (port 64738)
pw: mellon

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So I just reinstalled it, and jesus christ where is the loving UI scale slider. I'm playing at 2560x1440 and the text is designed for ants...

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Ambaire posted:

So I just reinstalled it, and jesus christ where is the loving UI scale slider. I'm playing at 2560x1440 and the text is designed for ants...
Sorry, UI scale sliders are Lostech.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Was running a really fun eight man group of as many locusts and assault mechs that could be put together. Locust Squad is real.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Any time I run lrms I tell the team I'm bad at robbits and need them to press R so I can get kills.

Try "will suck cocks for locks"

I absolutly love it when pubbie generals go "oh ma gawd this Assault (Mauler R1) is lrm boat"
I love it even more if i finish with 800+ damage and get told "yes but spread damage doesnt count" while their lasers paint pretty snakes all over the enemy mechs.
I think non-artemis lurms have better poinpoint damage than lasers and uacs in the hands of the average player.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ambaire posted:

4k here. I literally change the UI down when I want to fiddle with anything for more than a few seconds.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I absolutly love it when pubbie generals go "oh ma gawd this Assault (Mauler R1) is lrm boat"
I love it even more if i finish with 800+ damage and get told "yes but spread damage doesnt count" while their lasers paint pretty snakes all over the enemy mechs.
I think non-artemis lurms have better poinpoint damage than lasers and uacs in the hands of the average player.

When people in this thread make fun of pubbies using LRMs, it's you. They're talking about you.

:dogout:

Just so this isn't white noise, this is Matt Plog's illustration of the Linebacker, a mech you should absolutely not buy.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 28, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I don't know if it''s lag or desync or what but a lot of times when pubbies fire lasers at me they're waving them around like lightsabers

It's almost offensive

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

Just so this isn't white noise, this is Matt Plog's illustration of the Linebacker, a mech you should absolutely not buy.

I don't know why but I have a super hardon for Chessboard/Argyle mech camo. I love the Applejack and Steiner patterns in MWO, and love that Linebacker (Even if it is garbage. Built to replace the Timberwolf? What were they thinking).

Pattonesque posted:

I don't know if it''s lag or desync or what but a lot of times when pubbies fire lasers at me they're waving them around like lightsabers

It's almost offensive

The term I have heard used for that is 'Flashlighting' and it is very apropos.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Cease to Hope posted:

When people in this thread make fun of pubbies using LRMs, it's you. They're talking about you.

:dogout:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

aniviron posted:

I don't know why but I have a super hardon for Chessboard/Argyle mech camo. I love the Applejack and Steiner patterns in MWO, and love that Linebacker (Even if it is garbage. Built to replace the Timberwolf? What were they thinking).

The term I have heard used for that is 'Flashlighting' and it is very apropos.

lol

I get a bit of movement side to side but when they add up and down into it I get confused

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

:colbert:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Die Pubbie Scum

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

It's almost offensive

Well it's pretty hard to hit things that move if you play with advanced zoom permanently at maximum, have your arms unlocked and try to wave everything around so the torso and arms weapons somehow meet up.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Trackball Warrior Online.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This thing looks like it belongs in bloodbowl, not mechwarrior.

Even if its cockpit is shaped like a footbowl smashed into a robocop or visor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Still not as good/bad as the Yeoman.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 28, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How come people who can't draw basic perspective ended up "in charge" of mechwarrior designs for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DancingShade posted:

Well it's pretty hard to hit things that move if you play with advanced zoom permanently at maximum, have your arms unlocked and try to wave everything around so the torso and arms weapons somehow meet up.

Oh got this one. So many pubbies absolutely love Advanced Zoom, and I don't just mean Gauss/PPC snipers, I see mid-range and even brawler builds running it all the time. Medium lasers and AC/20s aimed with the lovely picture-in-picture.

My theory is that it's so popular simply because it's one of the first modules in the store in alphabetical order.

• Locked thread