Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Just picked up this game in the latest ps4 sale after eyeing it earlier in the year. What are some good car setups for rwd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Read the descriptions for each option and adjust as necessary to suit desired driving style

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Stabilize the rear suspension bits and unweld the differential until you get a feel for the point of each vehicle where you start to spin out. You can also do the opposite in the front end. This will cause a lot of diagonal sliding but from there you can start to tweak it as you begin to drive more aggressively without spinning out as often.

Start with the Stratos and work your way up the timeline because they only get more squirrely with power ...or just skip straight to Group B RWD cars because they're the most :snoop: cars in the game.

edit: actually there's apparently a newer RWD car added in the lowest class which is probably a safer place to start than the Stratos.

Thief fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 19, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah the alpine is easy as gently caress to drive. The stratos is a nightmare.

I find the 2010s and 2000s v. Easy to drive in comparison to anything below group b AWD.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Laserface posted:

I find the 2010s and 2000s v. Easy Boring to drive in comparison to anything below group b AWD.

FTFY

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I'm not at all interested in the modern stuff unless it's hillclimb. Give us ALL of the old cars

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
welp, felt like I must be doing something alright, cause I came second in the first championship I tried.
best run I had
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVq2gZ8WNXY

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Old cars are boring. I want to be able to go flat loving out all the time, no compromises.

Like this 52nd in the world run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdqs2gLSbE

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I like the feeling of really attacking a stage rather than always being afraid of pushing slightly too hard.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 24, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Qmass posted:

Old cars are boring. I want to be able to go flat loving out all the time, no compromises.

Old cars are easier to go flat out with though. :v:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

They really aren't. You gotta stay off the gas a lot more with all the RWDs and the group bs all go too fast flat out and have bad brakes so you gotta setup earlier. If you aren't braking you are accelerating in the 2010s and 2000s.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
There are a lot of cars older than Group B though, which I think they are talking about.

If you don't literally go flat out in cars from the first brackets like the Mini or the Stratos you will not see 1st place after the entry level difficulty races. It isn't until maybe the E30 where you actually have to start dialing back because :snoop:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Totally open to the idea that I'm completely and objectively wrong on this. I know that I could never go flat out in any of those cars (after the 60s) and slipping into the 2010 fiesta and finally figuring the game out really cemented my disdain for all the older cars.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 24, 2016

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Nah, I think you're spot on. Even with the assists turned off the newer the car the more controllable they should be at high speed, as they're (almost) purpose built rallying machines.

Of course, it might be placebo in the game, but it certainly feels like the case.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Qmass posted:

Rally video

Holy balls the game looks amazing on your machine

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Qmass posted:

Totally open to the idea that I'm completely and objectively wrong on this. I know that I could never go flat out in any of those cars (after the 60s) and slipping into the 2010 fiesta and finally figuring the game out really cemented my disdain for all the older cars.

You're reaffirming my decision to save up and buy a newer car. I love tooling around in the 70's cars, but man am I just not good in them. I can usually finish in 3rd-5th place.... usually.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Get to the point where you can consistently place top 3 in the Alpine, graduate to the M3, curse repeatedly, then convince yourself the Alpine is the best car never to be bested by silly things like LSDs or improved HP/L.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

bitcoin bastard posted:

Get to the point where you can consistently place top 3 in the Alpine, graduate to the M3, curse repeatedly, then convince yourself the Alpine is the best car never to be bested by silly things like LSDs or improved HP/L.

Haha, I actually love the Alpine. I managed to hit 3rd pretty frequently in it, too. I just felt like maybe I should branch out into something that isn't a) from before I was born and b) seems to be light years better than anything else in its class.

I bought the Opel Kadet which is a ton of fun to drive, but I find myself spinning it pretty frequently -or- flying off the track.

Probably doesn't help that I can only ever really do 1 or 2 races every couple days so I never get to sit down and try to learn any of the tracks or cars.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

So I've been playing for a while (like 200 hours played, have won Masters championships a couple of times) and recently discovered I was driving with full traction control.

I took it off and god drat, so much wheelspin. I can even make the frigging Hyundai i20 fishtail if I'm not careful, and the less said about me trying to drive the Evo 2, the better. (The only time I get that thing going straight is when I'm heading straight for the trees...)

Do I just need to retrain myself not to go full hamfist on the throttle all the time, or is there more to it?

edit: to be fair, I don't think I can blame lack of traction control for this one: http://gfycat.com/AdorableIdioticFlee

Thel fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 27, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Retrain is right, without TC you're gonna have to get the differential dialled in to handle your style or be more careful getting on the power.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

njsykora posted:

Retrain is right, without TC you're gonna have to get the differential dialled in to handle your style or be more careful getting on the power.

Well I think either way I can't be all "full throttle is the only throttle" any more. However - can you expand a bit on the diff settings? I've typically been going with an extremely loose diff (and negative camber + positive toe), should I be reeling all those in a bit?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

*DOG NOISE*'

edit: hhah, forgot to keep the stage name in the crop. For a second there I thought alcohol and dirt had finally worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEsp0KSrYA

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 27, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

man is it just me or is the focus 2001 super loving slow? I just did my first professional level rally on Germany and i was at least 20+ seconds off the pace by the end of a short rally and over a minute behind on the long ones.

I finished fourth and have unlocked advanced setup and engine upgrade 1, but gently caress it is significantly slower than the setup I had on the daily challenge that was on the same stage.

Im guessing the engine/turbo/weight upgrades DO make a significant difference (in addition to being able to adjust the gear ratios properly)

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Laserface posted:

man is it just me or is the focus 2001 super loving slow?

Im guessing the engine/turbo/weight upgrades DO make a significant difference (in addition to being able to adjust the gear ratios properly)
Yes; the upgrades are stupid important for the 2000's class.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is Dirt Rally even compatible with a stick shifter?

I don't want to be one of those MAX DIFFICULTY assholes but using paddles and no clutch in a 60s mini cooper feels the wrongest of wrong.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Helicon One posted:

Is Dirt Rally even compatible with a stick shifter?

I don't want to be one of those MAX DIFFICULTY assholes but using paddles and no clutch in a 60s mini cooper feels the wrongest of wrong.

Yep, they added the option to automatically set stick or paddles depending on the car in the 1.0 patch. It's in the driver preferences menu though, not the controls menu.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 29, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Qmass posted:

the group bs all go too fast flat out and have bad brakes

this is literally the definition of fun, if I'm not fighting for my life I don't want it

Jumped into the wager event yesterday, nothing stresses me out like a full length Sweden track. While the banks do bother me, they really nailed the actual "feel" of driving on snow IMO. It stresses me out in the exact same way as driving in snow IRL. I drove like poo poo, still ended up in the top 100 / 5th in USA. I did get away with this (audio is low because of hasty recording) When in doubt, throttle out :getin:

Edit: All the brakes on the old cars will lock up like crazy, you need to repeatedly let go and rebrake when the wheels lock if you expect to hit your shifts (assuming youre not using the clutch)

Look at this loving dog

https://twitter.com/flashman/status/770393232945446913

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 29, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aheCQKlV_z4

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Squeaked into Top 100 for the Weekly Group A event in Wales 8)

Full run here: https://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/v/87664406?t=15m32s

Xbone controller, no tune, no assists, close chase cam :v:

I've had people claim it's an advantage (the camera), but I get the same times as using in car, and VR. I just like looking at the scenery, Wales is real pretty

Personal review: a handful of stupid crashes, but nailed all of the corners I usually gently caress up on. A+ throttle modulation :golfclap:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Took a couple weeks off to play some F1 2016, seems to have helped with top speed stability.

Since the league is for hipsters, you gotta beat me on the best rally (wales) in the best car (2010 fiesta)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Qmass fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 6, 2016

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Qmass posted:

Since the league is for hipsters, you gotta beat me on the best rally (wales) in the best car (2010 fiesta)

5:57.102

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2kDxWdWBkg

EDIT: Also, the Polo is the best car.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 7, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Nicely done!

Hey is racenetleaguething down for anyone else ?

edit: Gauntlet picked back up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxZ6Tf3mfVU

Qmass fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 8, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

RWD Group B in Wales in the Rain makes for a good daily challenge, I think my time is at 88th now

https://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/v/88896908?t=02m15s Now in 60fps goodness, AND you have to listen to my poor choice in music (I don't use pacenotes)

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I did the new weekly challenge right away so you have all week to try and beat it, it's top 40 right now, that'll probably float up a bit by the end of the week

It's Group B (AWD) in Greece, lots of fun

https://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/v/88964888?t=38s

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

So I've started doing the monthly and have run into a hilarious bug where running two clean stages still brings my radiator back to zero. I did have a pretty bad off on Hamelahti (that huge jump with the house on the right - I landed on the bank and flipped in all the different directions possible) - if DR had a realistic damage model that would've been the end of my rally, but that's a different discussion.

Servicing after that big off, my radiator was at ~50%, I repaired it to ~90%, and since then it's been:
- run two clean stages, radiator light will come on after ~2 sectors, engine light will come on after ~6 sectors (with the codriver very helpfully saying "we're losing coolant", "temps are sky-high", "are we down on power?" etc.)
- pull in for service, repair radiator from 0 to 90%, engine generally gets topped up to 90% too.

I've tried going over-time to push them both to 100% - I've also driven ultra-cautiously (never over-rev, brake before jumps so I don't leave the ground) and neither of those works - my radiator just gives up within 5km. Anyone experienced this?

e: this is with the 205 T16 Evo 2, I also saw something similar with the MG Metro 6R4 in a single event once (also on Finland).

e2: I guess the next test is to take the 205 back out on a single event without going full spacko and see if not ever seriously damaging the radiator means it won't decide to break itself.

Thel fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 14, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Thel posted:

So I've started doing the monthly and have run into a hilarious bug

I've got the same thing happening if you're in the monthly right now. Repeatedly dipping into my extended repair time just to stay with the pack. Never had to do that in my DiRT career so I'm going to assume it's either somehow way more hardcore than usual, or an awesome bug. I didn't really feel that I was driving aggressively, which was frustrating. These sorts of things would be marginally better if they would give us some form of heads up, even just a vague "something is different!"

That said, there is a :frogsiren: Special Event Today & Today Only to remember Colin McRae

It's under Career > Online Events > Bottom Right

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

That said, there is a :frogsiren: Special Event Today & Today Only to remember Colin McRae

It's under Career > Online Events > Bottom Right

I attempted to go full "if in doubt, flat out":

Maybe I should've had less doubt about when to brake....

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Nice! I felt the most "Colin" thing to do was to use the oldest car

Think I ended up just outside the top 200 at the end of the day, I saw that Wanderer89 beat me for once! That fancy steering wheel might be good for something after all :haw:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Hatward/status/777883702818902016

Wonder what they finished :O

Celebratory scandi-flick

https://fat.gfycat.com/HeavenlyRapidCatfish.webm

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 19, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The Lancia 037 Evo 2 is the devil's car holy poo poo how are you supposed to keep that car going straight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You're not supposed to. You're supposed to be sideways 100% of the time.

• Locked thread