Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

docbeard posted:

My own favorite (mostly but not exclusively) workplace peeve reared up again.

Manager: "Will you do X?"

Me: "Sure."

Manager: "So here's what's going on, and why it would be really helpful for you to do X."

Me: "I can totally do X."

Manager: "Here is the story of my whole entire life leading up to the point where X became necessary. Here is that story again in Aramaic. Here is that story again from the point of view of the clown monster from IT. Also, it would be really helpful if you could do X."

My grandchildren: "Granddad's dying words were 'Yes, I can do X'."

This sounds like my dad's child rearing strategy. He was also a manager :v:

"Clean your room. "
"Okay."
"Let me tell you about how I was a room cleaning prodigy when I was a teenager and about the many medals and universal praise I won through this skill."
"I said okay"
"I wasn't done. Here is the family history of room cleaning, starting around the christening of Scandinavia and continuing unbroken until your birth. Feel the disappointment of eons of forefathers. Repent. You will never be an asset to society if your room looks like this."
Hours of lecturing pass, during which I grow up, move out and clean my own apartment five thousand times over before we're done.

20 years later and it's still a pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

docbeard posted:

My own favorite (mostly but not exclusively) workplace peeve reared up again

Related: People who just say "yeah sure I can do that" to literally everything, and will say "yes I can" to every question on whether you can get whatever thing done within X amount of time. Only say you can if you know you can. When you're constantly saying "well it took an extra 2 weeks because I didn't know how to do it" it is really annoying. If you had just said "I don't understand that code/physical process/whatever and need a week or two to read up on it" it would be fine, but when you pretend you know it already when you don't and just assume you'll pull off some magic it's a problem.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

That's exactly what they're doing. And in our company, Legal is always the problem, even when it's been sitting in Finance for a week because the client screwed up its own budget and can't do math. It's taking so long because you did your numbers wrong and refuse to log into the database or talk to your admins to find out where it's at. Sure, it's taking a long drat time, but it's with your people, not mine.

They've been told this a hundred times: get updates from your admins or the database. Legal does not have your updates.

It's important to understand that the guiding principle behind pretty much all business communication isn't "how can we make this thing happen in the most efficient way possible", it's "IT IS YOUR PROBLEM NOW". They talked to Legal, therefore it is now up to Legal to fix it, whether it's Legal's job or not, and certainly regardless of whether they could have solved the problem themselves by now.

It's all a big game of hot potato.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Norrskensren posted:

This sounds like my dad's child rearing strategy. He was also a manager :v:

"Clean your room. "
"Okay."
"Let me tell you about how I was a room cleaning prodigy when I was a teenager and about the many medals and universal praise I won through this skill."
"I said okay"
"I wasn't done. Here is the family history of room cleaning, starting around the christening of Scandinavia and continuing unbroken until your birth. Feel the disappointment of eons of forefathers. Repent. You will never be an asset to society if your room looks like this."
Hours of lecturing pass, during which I grow up, move out and clean my own apartment five thousand times over before we're done.

20 years later and it's still a pet peeve.

My mother did this, but saying nobody would ever want to marry me if I didn't do certain things.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Brawnfire posted:

My mother did this, but saying nobody would ever want to marry me if I didn't do certain things.

I hope you did none of the things out of spite

Being told not to do things because they're "unladylike" is less of a pet peeve and more an incandescent rage with embedded and insidious patriarchal norms but it's very annoying. gently caress you Nanny I'll whistle and swear all I loving like. Apparently being a rascist old shitbag isn't unladylike at all.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who don't do chores or whatever you ask them to do and then 5 hours later they still didn't do them so I do it and they get mad.

Me: could you take out the trash? It's full and smelly.
Person: ok I'll do it in a minute
*1 hour later
Me: can you please take it out?
Person: hold on! I'm in the middle of thing but I'm gonna do it
*5 hours later I give up and do it myself
Person: I WAS GOING TO DO IT WHAT THE gently caress YOURE SUCH AN rear end in a top hat ASSUMING I WOULDNT DO IT

KoB
May 1, 2009
My old roommate would push everything to the very last minute and then get upset at having no time do it all.

"Look, I need to do a, b, c, x, y AND z today. I dont have time to do the chores Ive known about all week and put off to the last minute"

Youve had months to do all those things and then it all comes to a head one day and he never ever learns a lesson.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

docbeard posted:

It's important to understand that the guiding principle behind pretty much all business communication isn't "how can we make this thing happen in the most efficient way possible", it's "IT IS YOUR PROBLEM NOW". They talked to Legal, therefore it is now up to Legal to fix it, whether it's Legal's job or not, and certainly regardless of whether they could have solved the problem themselves by now.

It's all a big game of hot potato.

Since you seem to work at Middle Management Inc., there's something I've always wondered. Is anything ever done, or is it all paper passing?

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Thin Privilege posted:

People who don't do chores or whatever you ask them to do and then 5 hours later they still didn't do them so I do it and they get mad.

Me: could you take out the trash? It's full and smelly.
Person: ok I'll do it in a minute
*1 hour later
Me: can you please take it out?
Person: hold on! I'm in the middle of thing but I'm gonna do it
*5 hours later I give up and do it myself
Person: I WAS GOING TO DO IT WHAT THE gently caress YOURE SUCH AN rear end in a top hat ASSUMING I WOULDNT DO IT

On the other side of things, as a teenager there was a significant period of time where my mom would say something like "Hey, which one of you wants to go to the store?"

And if my brother and I took more than a minute to decide whose turn it was, it'd turn into "Fine, I guess I'LL just go then, no no don't worry about it, I can go, if neither of you want to go I'll just go. It's FINE."

It's still a pet peeve of mine when people seem to assume that if I'm not completely and totally thrilled about doing a chore/running an errand, that means I hate doing it and it's a massive imposition on me. No, I just don't particularly like grocery shopping, like I'm guessing many other people on the planet. That doesn't mean I'm going to refuse and get upset if it's my turn to go out tonight. Maybe I just have a headache and so I'm not excited about doing anything right now, but I can get over it in five minutes!

Parasol Prophet has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Aug 27, 2016

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

On the other side of things, as a teenager there was a significant period of time where my mom would say something like "Hey, which one of you wants to go to the store?"

And if my brother and I took more than a minute to decide whose turn it was, it'd turn into "Fine, I guess I'LL just go then, no no don't worry about it, I can go, if neither of you want to go I'll just go. It's FINE."

It's still a pet peeve of mine when people seem to assume that if I'm not completely and totally thrilled about doing a chore/running an errand, that means I hate doing it and it's a massive imposition on me. No, I just don't particularly like grocery shopping, like I'm guessing many other people on the planet. That doesn't mean I'm going to refuse and get upset if it's my turn to go out tonight. Maybe I just have a headache and so I'm not excited about doing anything right now, but I can get over it in five minutes!

my mom does this, too. she seems to think that if I take a moment to get my poo poo together that I'm basically telling her "eat a giant dick, mother, for you are a burden to me"

no mom I'm just annoyed I have to put on pants I'll be fine in a minute christ

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

My mom told me this was ironing. My dad told me I'd never find a husband if I didn't learn to iron and make breakfast and pack lunches for him, so I knew how to treat my husband. Oh, and unpack his lunchbox too because after work he was tired.

Joke's on him, I'm a goddamn dyke. He hasn't figured it out yet. Though it is telling that my older half brother he never had contact with is married and has a kid, and the two kids my dad did help raise are both single and childless and never form long-term relationships. Almost like being raised in a bad household is enough to make a kid decide marriage is a bad thing because all it is is two people fighting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Whenever anyone phrases a request to do something as a question of whether or not you want to do it, you should always say "no". If you want me to do something, ask me to do it, don't ask me if I want to do it when you know I don't.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Whenever anyone phrases a request to do something as a question of whether or not you want to do it, you should always say "no". If you want me to do something, ask me to do it, don't ask me if I want to do it when you know I don't.

I found a new least favorite pet peeve

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

I found a new least favorite pet peeve

Tiggum doesn't usually understand how to human.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Let me add "people who tell you to do something while you are already doing it, and continue giving you commands anway," and "people who tell you to do something, and then while you are doing it, tell you to do five other things at the same time," and, "people who speak to you only to tell you what to do and to tell you what you've done wrong, and btw, your first fuckup was needing to be told to do the task in question, even if you're in the middle of doing it at the time while they tell you."

Or, my dad.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

see also: people who ask you for help with something they don't know how to do, but somehow know enough to tell you that you're doing it the wrong way. If you know how to do it, why did you need my help????

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
See also also: People who ask for your help when what they really mean is "can you do this for me? by the way I'm still totally taking credit for this when it's done".

Additionally - people who expect absolute quiet at unreasonable times. The room I have my TV in is fairly close to the sidewalk outside and I had my window cracked open watching something or other last night at about 8pm. I had someone knock on my door to tell me they can hear my TV from outside and to turn it down. After they left I went out to check how loud it was and you could barely hear it unless a lot of bass/gunfire was going on, and only when you're within a couple feet of the window. Maybe it was a little too loud, but come on, it's (was) a Friday.

e: to be clear this wasn't even a neighbor or anything, just a lady walking by.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:55 on Aug 27, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

People who take everything I say as absolutely genuine and literal, no matter how hyperbolic or absurd.

Just kidding, it's hilarious. The image some people on these forums have of me must the craziest thing and it makes me laugh trying to imagine it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

KoB posted:

"Look, I need to do a, b, c, x, y AND z today. I dont have time to do the chores Ive known about all week and put off to the last minute"

Youve had months to do all those things and then it all comes to a head one day and he never ever learns a lesson.

This is pretty much everyone in my department at my university at the end of the summer and the week before the term starts, except, of course, they contact me at the 11th hour screaming at me to do a, b, c, x, y, and zed today.

I've pretty much worn off the 'N' and 'O' keys on my keyboard as a consequence of people like this.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Jumping on the bad-advice bandwagon: people who tell you how to do something that you already know how to do, while you're doing it. Bonus points if they praise you with "good job" or similar when you're done.

People whose ears translate "I'm studying X" as "Please give me a lecture on everything you know about X, even if you learned it from TV or five minutes on Wikipedia and/or have no idea how to explain it coherently."

Oh, and people whose first response to anyone else having difficulty with something is to suggest they quit.

And chuggers, but that's another story.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't happen very often, but a pet peeve that always stops me in my tracks is the confusion between poisonous and venomous when it comes to explaining flora and fauna. When the wrong term is applied, its like nails on a chalkboard. I give myself a mini lecture on the difference between the two and give a tiny sigh of relief when I scroll down and someone has corrected them eventually. Very minor, very dumb.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Poisons are ingested and venoms are injected, right?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

People who turn the names of businesses into possessives. Sometimes they add "the".

"I'm going to the Wal-Mart's, you want anything?"

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sociopastry posted:

see also: people who ask you for help with something they don't know how to do, but somehow know enough to tell you that you're doing it the wrong way. If you know how to do it, why did you need my help????

This always drives me up the wall. I've gotten to the point in my life that if someone asks for my advice on something and then argues about what I tell them then I say that they must be right and change the subject.

"Hey you work in X field, can you tell me how to do Y?"
"Sure, you do these things in this order."
"Why would you do those things? That doesn't make sense."
"Okay guess you know how to do Y after all good luck."

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Yes, I'd like to let your kid play with my expensive electronics, thanks for volunteering me to entertain them. :argh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Youtube videos with normal English titles but when you click it it's completely in a different language. The title will be like "Apple Macbook Pro 15 Review" and then the whole thing will be in German. Misleading rear end in a top hat.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Intoluene posted:

Yes, I'd like to let your kid play with my expensive electronics, thanks for volunteering me to entertain them. :argh:

Ohhh you just reminded me of a good one!

People who bring their young kids to restaurants and then shove iPads in their face to keep them entertained, and then they don't bother to keep the volume down or use headphones or whatever, so through the whole meal I hear "The Wheels on the bus go ROUND AND ROUND," over and over and over.

Two things here: if your kids are incapable is sitting still for an hour LEAVE THEM THE gently caress AT HOME. Either hire a sitter or order loving take-out. The other thing is, if you MUST bring them and you MUST keep them entertained, how about something QUIET, in consideration for people who didn't come to the restaurant to listen to your children entertain themselves?

For the record, I'm not talking about an explicitly kid friendly restaurant like, say, Friendly's. I'm talking about normal restaurants.

Leavemywife posted:

Poisons are ingested and venoms are injected, right?

This is correct. Poisons can also be inhaled or work on contact, but venom must be injected into a wound.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohhh you just reminded me of a good one!

People who bring their young kids to restaurants and then shove iPads in their face to keep them entertained, and then they don't bother to keep the volume down or use headphones or whatever, so through the whole meal I hear "The Wheels on the bus go ROUND AND ROUND," over and over and over.

Two things here: if your kids are incapable is sitting still for an hour LEAVE THEM THE gently caress AT HOME. Either hire a sitter or order loving take-out. The other thing is, if you MUST bring them and you MUST keep them entertained, how about something QUIET, in consideration for people who didn't come to the restaurant to listen to your children entertain themselves?

For the record, I'm not talking about an explicitly kid friendly restaurant like, say, Friendly's. I'm talking about normal restaurants.

Ugh, I just had this the other day. Nice, charming, quiet cafe except for one kid that was playing some musical matching game or something, and SCREECHED at full volume whenever he got the combo right. And then his parents being incredibly supportive of his victory, thus assuring the next screech would be even louder and repeated for effect.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Parents who dont talk to their kids make me really sad, like why even have kids if all you're going to do is tell them to shut up while you get to talk to your friends or look at your phone

Maybe they wouldn't misbehave if you paid attention to them and didn't treat them like a burden you have to put up with????

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
How about parents who don't bring anything to entertain their kids? Like toddler age. One of my monthly meetings is at an aquarium club and without fail, the couple with the toddler shows up with maybe one toy for him to play with for a 3 hour meeting. So I started bringing my old toys and poo poo my nephew and niece are done with, so he always has something new to keep himself busy. Still doesn't work for the full 3 hours, but gently caress, the family is Mormon, they have to have people who will babysit!

Here's a peeve. Someone who needs you to go with them on an errand just for them. I have no interest in it, it cuts into my free time, and it never takes just a few minutes. My friend decided to get her tattoo recolored, and insisted I go with her, because I don't have any tats, have no real inclination to get any, but gently caress it, fine, after dealing with her passive aggressive whining for a week I said I'd go. She kept asking what tat I would be getting even after I told her none, and oh joy, the parlor she wanted to go to was an hour away. So off we go. For the next four hours I am at this barely air conditioned tattoo parlor while she gets a recolor, and then another one redone, and a small new one she wants the dude to sketch. The entire time I am sitting there on my phone or walking around right outside. I had absolutely no need to be there, no tat was being done that would impair her driving, but for some reason I absolutely had to go. gently caress, we barely talked the entire time because she was chatting it up with the artist and no one could hear over the music playing anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I think there's a pretty clear line between places you can bring kids and places you can't, and I've never really seen that line crossed, but the problem for some people is that where I draw the line is apparently not enough. Case in point:

Brawnfire posted:

Ugh, I just had this the other day. Nice, charming, quiet cafe except for one kid that was playing some musical matching game or something
I would say a café is fine to bring a child to. A café is a very casual, public, open to everyone sort of place. I would have a problem with someone bringing a child to a restaurant where the average meal is $40 at 8pm, but I've never seen that. Someone bringing their kid out for a meal in the daytime for $15 is fine.

teenytinymouse posted:

Parents who dont talk to their kids make me really sad, like why even have kids if all you're going to do is tell them to shut up while you get to talk to your friends or look at your phone
You are only seeing them at that one time though. Not that there aren't bad parents, but it's really not fair to judge them on such a small window.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Tiggum posted:

You are only seeing them at that one time though. Not that there aren't bad parents, but it's really not fair to judge them on such a small window.

I can and will judge them and I frequently do in fact. If you're an rear end in a top hat to your kid in public you're probably even worse in private :shrug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Ah yes, Christmas dinner with my girlfriend's extended family two years ago. Five or six kids from all branches of the family, all between three and six, all ended up watching a movie or something. With headphones, but I was like "well poo poo, I'd have known this was acceptable, I'd have brought my PSP."

Brawnfire posted:

Ugh, I just had this the other day. Nice, charming, quiet cafe except for one kid that was playing some musical matching game or something, and SCREECHED at full volume whenever he got the combo right. And then his parents being incredibly supportive of his victory, thus assuring the next screech would be even louder and repeated for effect.
This, except on the train. Take note, travelling families, those little headphone multitaps are widely available!

A friend of mine was on the train with some little poo poo who played his DS at high volume once. Overheard his mom asking him to turn the sound off and he replied "can't be turned off." So she went over and asked him the same, got the same reply, asked if she could see it for a moment and had it on mute within two seconds. Apparently it was completely worth it for the look on the kid's face. Just utter shock and betrayal at an adult knowing how his toy worked, and that's before he realized his mom was on to him now, too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

teenytinymouse posted:

I can and will judge them
I didn't say you can't, I just said it isn't fair. :shrug:

My Lovely Horse posted:

A friend of mine was on the train with some little poo poo who played his DS at high volume once. Overheard his mom asking him to turn the sound off and he replied "can't be turned off." So she went over and asked him the same, got the same reply, asked if she could see it for a moment and had it on mute within two seconds. Apparently it was completely worth it for the look on the kid's face. Just utter shock and betrayal at an adult knowing how his toy worked, and that's before he realized his mom was on to him now, too.
Your friend sounds like an arsehole.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

More or less so than the kid who lies to his mom and pisses off a carriageful of commuters so he can play his precious DS without headphones?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

More or less so than the kid who lies to his mom and pisses off a carriageful of commuters so he can play his precious DS without headphones?

Like much of modern history, there are typically no clear "good" people in this scenario. I wouldn't have done it but that look of betrayal would have made it worth it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Horse's friend made the situation for pretty much everyone involved, including the kid who now gets to learn that lying is bad

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Hey horse tell your friend he's good

Also I love ur username a whole bunch and I'm gonna go watch that episode now

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Digirat posted:

Horse's friend made the situation for pretty much everyone involved, including the kid who now gets to learn that lying is bad

Totally. Not everyone has enough courage to do something like that but I bet everyone was miserable putting up with that kid.

It's not being an rear end in a top hat to teach kids to think of others. I don't know why we view children's contentment and getting their way as sacrosanct. They are developmentally unlikely to be concientious of others. Adults need to teach them those behaviors. I don't see what's wrong with that.

I used to be one of those quiet little kids who my parents could take anywhere. My mother was firm with me and also made sure she brought stuff for me to do. I never felt frustrated or abused, so I know it's not unreasonable to expect kids to behave.

I mean, I feel like there's gotta be something wrong with all the kids being constanly engrossed in a screen, but a couple of things: maybe they have an otherwise rich life away from that screen and I'm just getting to see a slice of their life in a boring adult environment. Also, those aren't my kids and as long as it's muted they aren't bothering me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Parasol Prophet posted:

I mean like 5+ HOURS PASS and they still haven't done the thing. I don't care if they wait an hour but 5! 5+ Hours and you still haven't taken out the goddamn trash!