Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The shoes would make for terribly interesting times on the feet of, say, Jillian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm still hoping that the whole Arkenshoes thing is a lie, a bluff, or just a partial truth, because compared to the other Tools, the shoes are just kinda... boring.

"Not every smart plan is a good one." Nice turn of phrase, Wanda. Actually sounds like something he might say.

The events of Book 0 appear to be canon, and they were definitely real there (as opposed to the parts of the story which were hallucinatory.)

But the shoes disappeared with their owner, so it might be that the fourth "known arkentool" is something else (since Charlie went to some extreme lengths to suppress all information related to those events).

Rygar201 posted:

Infinite Move and Teleportation are super strong strategic powers. As long as you have units doing stuff you don't have to end turn right? Unknown you can't just idle but given subjective Erfworld time, Infinite Move seems awesome.

In Book 0 Jillian "let the turn end on its own", and more recently a text update referred to the turn "growing stale", so presumably there's some kind of limit. (I think there pretty much has to be, or otherwise Charlie would just never let his turn end and call that a win.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So... is Vanna going to see them while they sneak around? All I can think is she's been out of sight and thus mind, and she's a super spy, ergo...

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Kyte posted:

They're powerful, but they're not flavorful. Ergo, boring.

Even the Hammer is interesting and Stanley's not a Caster.

Yeah, but all the tools start out sounding powerful-but-boring because their abilities aren't well known.

The Hammer has the most well-understood powers: summon dwagons, fly, shoot lightning, rock out. But it's also got that pigeon thing going on.

The Pliers started out as "insta-dust the uncroaked" which is also powerful but boring. Then it turns out they also decrypt and also give a direct mental link from Wanda to the decrypted. The nature of the link is mysterious since decrypted units have free will to change sides.

There's not much info about the Dish. It can snoop on thinkagrams and it maybe allows link-ups?

If the shoes have the obvious power of infinite move, they probably have a bunch of more subtle powers. Maybe it steals move from other units? Maybe it's Turnamancer-focused and allows things like changing the order of turns?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The tools most likely do different things for different types of character/caster. The hammer might help dirtomancers build castles or something. They're deliberately vague so Rob can make them do whatever they need to do.

The boots on the foot of a Dittomancer would be amusing. Could that caster then literally be everywhere at once?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Maybe we have no idea about the true depth of power a wielder of an Arkentool can command.

The only idea we have is that Wanda, with the Arkenpliers, can supercharge her uncroaking so much that the decrypted retain their personality, never decay, and require no upkeep - basically a resource-free army on tap, an unthinkable gamebreaker already. And none of this is thematically related to pliers. With what we know about the Arkenpliers and the decrypted, add some plier-themed stuff, like grabbing, cutting, and manipulating...

What if Wanda could reach into any unit, grab the loyalty thread that connects them to their side, unplug it and plug it into another side? What if she could do that to a Ruler? What if she cut it, would it make a unit that had no loyalty but what it chose? What if she could move and/or cut any of the strings the Great Minds know about and manipulate? What if she could grab and manipulate a caster's magic itself, or even unplug it from one and plug it into another? Could she plug two more kinds of magic into a Thinkamancer and get a single unit that can cast linked magic with none of the drawbacks of the link? What if she grabbed one of each kind of caster, swiped their magic, and plugged it all into herself?

How could you not conquer the entire world if you could do that, and knew and trusted the advice of a summoned perfect warlord who first brought the concept of lateral thinking to Erf? Wanda + Arkenpliers + knowledge of the Great Minds + Parson almost scares the boop out of me, and I'm a real life human reading a webcomic.

e. continuing along those lines, the Arkentools all make sense (and are all horribly, horribly broken by the rules of the Erf - rather appropriate for the tools the Titans used to build the world). The Arkenpliers allow a caster to manipulate anything. The Arkenhammer allows a caster to break anything (or... to build anything?). The Arkendish allows a caster to know anything. And the Arkenshoes allow a caster to move anything. All the caster needs is the appropriate knowledge.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 6, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/184

That's actually pretty adorable.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This is probably the worst possible person who could've found them since, even though it hasn't come up in ages, Turnamancy can apparently let people do stuff they otherwise couldn't off-turn.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

This is a win, he can claim she sprung them abd stack the deck even further against Charlie. If they survive, that is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well, now Charlie has his justification to turn Jillian on Transylvito

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If Vanna gets croaked, would anyone know? She's bankrolled by Charlie but still technically barbarian, so Charlie wouldn't know until he tries to contact her or notices the contract being annulled, Jillian wouldn't know until she is informed, and Transylvito would only realize she's not in her chambers but might think she fled to the MK instead now that TV suspects her.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Depends on if they can get anything useful out of the Molls I suppose.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

That uh... concluded much quicker than I thought

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Does the difference between 8 and 7 turns really pull that much weight?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, that sounds like the kind of thing you tell your co-conspirator so she doesn't suss out out you're about to rain down hellfire.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"We're about to nuke your site from orbit. Act natural."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, that sounds like the kind of thing you tell your co-conspirator so she doesn't suss out out you're about to rain down hellfire.

He lied to us through visual metaphors! I hate it when people do that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Charlie's a Carny. What if his involvement in the heir's production results in deliberate Charlescomm signamancy?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The text updates give some pretty good reasons why Charlie has no interest in a heir these days. He's probably be pretty upset if it somehow had some of signamancy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Given that nobody outside of a handful of archons know what Charlie actually looks like, what would Charlescomm signamancy even be? A dish for a head?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Remember when Parson turned to CC?
Or the KISS, for that matter.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

isndl posted:

Charlie's a Carny. What if his involvement in the heir's production results in deliberate Charlescomm signamancy?

Based on today's update, I'm going to revise my answer. (This relies on Charlie actually following through with the heir-popping plan, of course.)

You need a carnymancer to have effective guns. Hamster's side can just hire one, probably, assuming Charlie doesn't have them all in his back pocket. If TV is going to stay relevant, they'll need one, too. What if Charlie's influence with the heir-popping doesn't lead to Charlie signamancy, but leads to the heir being a carnymancer?

I propose this because I'm enjoying the mental image of a sleazy, fast-talking, magical, undead-looking character. So, basically Beetlejuice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bobulus posted:

assuming Charlie doesn't have them all in his back pocket.

Not a safe assumption, especially since the people making the hiring decisions probably don't know just how great Charlie's influence in that quarter really is.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bobulus posted:

Based on today's update, I'm going to revise my answer. (This relies on Charlie actually following through with the heir-popping plan, of course.)

You need a carnymancer to have effective guns. Hamster's side can just hire one, probably, assuming Charlie doesn't have them all in his back pocket. If TV is going to stay relevant, they'll need one, too. What if Charlie's influence with the heir-popping doesn't lead to Charlie signamancy, but leads to the heir being a carnymancer?

I propose this because I'm enjoying the mental image of a sleazy, fast-talking, magical, undead-looking character. So, basically Beetlejuice.

We already have someone in the beetlejuice suit, Claud Gauntlet, and I don't think they'd have designed him that way if they were about to introduce Beetlejuice.

Beetlejuice.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

drat, I forgot about Claud.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rand Brittain posted:

Not a safe assumption, especially since the people making the hiring decisions probably don't know just how great Charlie's influence in that quarter really is.

Also the Digdoug story suggested that not all Carnymancers may directly work for Charlie, but all of them are aware of him and fear/respect him.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I like how even a magically enhanced City Tower can get salty about stuff.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well duh he has to be concerned with his protection, and then Charlie goes and breaks the rules and makes him vulnerable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Betelgeuse

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Parson is so game breaking, he's built his own AI that finds new ways to break the game (Jed).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Gotta say that was probably a way better idea than they have any right to know it is, seeing as he seemed fairly ... 'unsatisfied' with the way things were going with Charlie. Might very well jump ship.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

Gotta say that was probably a way better idea than they have any right to know it is, seeing as he seemed fairly ... 'unsatisfied' with the way things were going with Charlie. Might very well jump ship.

Well there's also loyalty to your magical school. So Charlie might be a good Employer but well... he's hanging you out to dry, not guaranteeing a job in case you get excommunicated and the person talking to you is a fellow Doller.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I feel like I am missing something very obvious but who is that dollamancer supposed to be?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Seravadon posted:

I feel like I am missing something very obvious but who is that dollamancer supposed to be?

The guy who trapped the GK portal that Bonnie flew through, dodging the trap. The long-neck engineer guy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

nimby posted:

The guy who trapped the GK portal that Bonnie flew through, dodging the trap. The long-neck engineer guy.

No, that's Ivan Poe, a Dirtamancer.

The Dollamancer is Claud, the Beetlejuice-clothed dude that we met during the interlude where Charlie talked to various casters. He's Charlie's (somewhat disgruntled) agent in the Wanda trial.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Doh. I forgot all about Claud.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

Doh. I forgot all about Claud.

Probably because he only appeared there. Also, GK can offer what Charlie can't. Amnesty. Since GK is working with the Great Minds, they can offer Claude amnesty for whatever he's been involved with.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I only remembered him because of the Beetlejuice discussion ITT.

Anyway, besides amnesty, they can offer to hire him and get him out of the MK, which is what Claud wanted and Charlie denied. (Which also gets them someone who knows more about making guns on their side.)

Of course, the real question is if Claud's too afraid of Charlie to help, which is very possible since he knows exactly what kind of force Charlie has on hand.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I was under the impression the cease fire was broken since they both violated it, but apparently not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The treaty doesn't actually stop them from fighting, it just puts a very severe penalty on the attacker.