Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Why does REUTERS/IPSOS have Trump up by 14 in New Hampshire? That's a 15 point difference from their last poll a week or so ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Lightning Knight posted:

That's fair. I'm kind of sad now. I'm sure I'll figure out something though.

If you wanna be a teacher (or think you do) but don't want to get a teaching degree it is worth it First hand experience in teaching to decide if you want to do it, good resume building if you decide you don't.

It not like you'd be doing something terrible and stupid like going to law school

edit: someone remake the sonic image to say there's not ethical participation in society

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

berserker posted:

They're talking about the forums user/frequent OP Joementum. But yes, gently caress Joe Lieberman in the goatass, forever.

My status as worthless newbie has been exposed - oh the shame, the humiliation. Thanks for the info, much appreciated :downs:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Necroskowitz posted:

Why does REUTERS/IPSOS have Trump up by 14 in New Hampshire? That's a 15 point difference from their last poll a week or so ago.

Yard sign poll?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Necroskowitz posted:

Very low sample size, meaning very high margin of error. Take a look at the sample size compared to other polls of NH.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My that's rather candid, isn't it?

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Necroskowitz posted:

I personally follow this thread on reddit (they make a new one every week or so) sort it by new they cover every single legitimate poll and delve into the crosstabs and all that analysis

The top post in response to Reuters releasing a bunch of new polling says the following

quote:

Can we just agree that Reuters is completely bullshit at this point? Trump doing 27 points worse than everyone else is projecting in Alabama and West Virginia? Clinton doing better in Nebraska than in Wisconsin? Trump gaining 15 points in one week in New Hampshire, 11 points in one week in Missouri, and 6 points in one week in Idaho? Clinton gaining 12 points in one week in Alabama, 19 points in one week in Nebraska, 9 points in one week in South Carolina, and 7 points in one week in Pennsylvania? Really?

I agree. Their poll makes zero sense.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Necroskowitz posted:

Apparently the sample size is just 133 likely voters, meaning the spread is quite literally only 19 people. They're swingy in other states compared to their previous result too, like Trump's lead in Alabama shrinking from 18 points to 6, and South Carolina going from +9 Trump to a tie.

It's bound to happen when you're polling tons of states with only a tiny sample from each, and it won't throw off aggregators that weight their averages properly. It just means you're probably better off looking at 538/PEC/Upshot's interpretation of these numbers than the Ipsos table itself.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 27, 2016

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
LePage is absolutely furious about being called a bigot, despite the fact that he, uh, kinda well is:

quote:

“Paul LePage is not mentally or emotionally fit to hold office. His words and actions have crossed a line. Threats of violence are never acceptable and cannot be tolerated in civilized society,” said Democratic House Leadership in a press release this morning.

The statement refers to a series of escalating incidents and remarks by the governor over the past two days. First, LePage lashed out at the Khans, a Muslim family who lost a son in Iraq and who have been critical of Donald Trump. Then, at a town hall forum in North Berwick, he revealed that he keeps a three-ring binder to track the race of drug dealers in Maine and insisted that more than 90% were Black or Latino.

The next day, he yelled at reporters questioning his racially-charged remarks, saying “Black people come up the highway and they kill Mainers. You ought to look into that!” He also left an obscenity-laced and threatening voicemail for Westbrook State Representative Drew Gattine in which he repeatedly used an anti-gay slur. Afterwards, he held a meeting with reporters where he fantasized about shooting Gattine in the head.

I knew Trump picked the wrong VP candidate.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Apparently the sample size is just 133 likely voters, meaning the spread is quite literally only 19 people. They're swingy in other states compared to their previous result too, like Trump's lead in Alabama shrinking from 18 points to 6.

It's bound to happen when you're polling tons of states with only a tiny sample from each, and it won't throw off aggregators that weight their averages properly. It just means you're probably better off looking at 538/PEC/Upshot's interpretation of these numbers than the Ipsos table itself.

Is 133 people even enough of a sample size to call it a poll and not just a collection of anecdotal opinions? Seems like if just a couple of those people have a bad day and change their mind suddenly the poll looks like its bouncing around.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I want to meet the people who decide to change their mind re: voting for Trump or Clinton because they had a bad day

edit: I mean I know they're out there, I'd just like to meet one and look deep into their eyes and try and see if anything is going on in there.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is 133 people even enough of a sample size to call it a poll and not just a collection of anecdotal opinions? Seems like if just a couple of those people have a bad day and change their mind suddenly the poll looks like its bouncing around.

The subsamples for states might also not be individually demographically weighted...

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
NBC interviews Trumps quack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZ6UP1Iuqw

This election is like a brilliant satire written by a comic genius that just never ends and keeps getting better and better. :munch:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

NBC interviews Trumps quack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZ6UP1Iuqw

This election is like a brilliant satire written by a comic genius that just never ends and keeps getting better and better. :munch:

Honestly, as amusing as this is, I don't know if I can really blame this guy much. I probably wouldn't rock the boat either if near-millionaire Trump was my patient, I could gouge the poo poo out of him as well as getting my cool-rear end hairdo on TV.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You know if you click that link to the Reuters thing, there's a link in the first paragraph labeled "or read how we did it". It's not exactly wizardry to find out what they're doing.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Mister Adequate posted:

Honestly, as amusing as this is, I don't know if I can really blame this guy much. I probably wouldn't rock the boat either if near-millionaire Trump was my patient, I could gouge the poo poo out of him as well as getting my cool-rear end hairdo on TV.

It's accepted that rich people in this country can just go to bent doctors who will happily prescribe them moon dust if that is what gets their patients to normal. The war on drugs is only against cheap drugs that the poor can afford. Michael Jackson wasn't nearly as wealthy as Trump supposedly is and he found a doctor willing to prescribe him propofol on a regular basis which is completely insane, medically unjustifiable and which killed him eventually. Who knows what drugs this guy is supplying to Trump? If I had to guess it would be amphetamines, since Trump was a known abuser of diet pills and his behaviour seems irrational and hyper. Not to mention the doc seemed under the influence of something himself.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Necroskowitz posted:

New Hampshire is a libertarian microcosm in the United States

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

berserker posted:

I want to meet the people who decide to change their mind re: voting for Trump or Clinton because they had a bad day

edit: I mean I know they're out there, I'd just like to meet one and look deep into their eyes and try and see if anything is going on in there.

That there are "swing voters" at all in the current US political climate is completely asinine. 16 years ago when Gore was running away from Clinton and picked Lieberman for VP while W was talking about "compassionate conservatism"? I could see someone with centrist views actually having a tough choice. But now, even without Trump involved, there is such a clear difference between the two parties that I have no idea how even a slightly politically aware voter might not know what party they're voting for well before the campaigns even start.

There aren't many left, but apparently there's enough of them that they could swing a close election, and that's scary as hell.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

berserker posted:

Yeah, the thirty-five percent or whatever of voters who will always vote for Trump no matter what...whatever, I can't worry about them, they're just going to be a thing we need to deal with. The five to ten percent of soft supporters who still can't figure out whether they really want to vote for him and apparently change their voting preferences by the phases of the moon, those are the idiots we should be concerned about trusting something as important as the presidency to.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
most swing voters are very uninformed and feel insecure about picking sides because they think "both sides are bad"

so yeah trump may say some crazy things but you know, hes just being honest? clinton is corrupt. she's a liar. she's in it for money. they're both bad.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, I just completed the other half of my bet. What bet you ask? I bet a coworker way back in October that if Donald Trump was the GOP nominee, that I would buy both him and I 'Make America Great Again' red trucker cap.

Honestly, I don't feel like I've lost out here because this hat needs to be owned anyway as a memento of this crazy loving year.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
I'm hoping that as the election draws near and people actually seriously consider what a Trump presidency would mean as a harsh reality rather than a hypothetical concept the swing voters will abandon him like crazed rats off a sinking ship. But who knows? This election is pretty much unique as elections get. Nobody even knows what the Republican party will look like after November. If it didn't matter so much I'd be enjoying the hell out of this but instead I'm absolutely loving terrified.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Boon posted:

Well, I just completed the other half of my bet. What bet you ask? I bet a coworker way back in October that if Donald Trump was the GOP nominee, that I would buy both him and I 'Make America Great Again' red trucker cap.

Honestly, I don't feel like I've lost out here because this hat needs to be owned anyway as a memento of this crazy loving year.

Lol I remember when you posted about that bet.

I really love old-rear end campaign swag. I feel like I might have to buy a MAGA ballcap just to have one in thirty years if I'm still around.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Boon posted:

Balance it out by donating twice again the cost of both hats to the charity of your choosing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol I remember when you posted about that bet.

I really love old-rear end campaign swag. I feel like I might have to buy a MAGA ballcap just to have one in thirty years if I'm still around.

As long as you don't wear it in public. I get the feeling that 30 years from now, someone wearing a MAGA cap would get the same reactions as someone wearing a George Wallace pin would get today.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I donated to Hillary once already and will probably look to drop a $50 with Doctors without Borders or something.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Is this real? Is loving Rosanne referring to a Cold War nutzo CIA mind control project? What the gently caress is this life :psyduck:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
NH is not going red let alone by 14 points calm the hell down. It's a poo poo poll and was dumped along with a ton of other poo poo polls that included one where Clinton was ahead in Kentucky and within striking distance in Alabama. I don't know why Nate includes them on his aggregator but he does.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Pakled posted:

As long as you don't wear it in public. I get the feeling that 30 years from now, someone wearing a MAGA cap would get the same reactions as someone wearing a George Wallace pin would get today.

Oh god I know, I'd keep it filed away as a morbid curiosity.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

NH is not going red let alone by 14 points calm the hell down. It's a poo poo poll and was dumped along with a ton of other poo poo polls that included one where Clinton was ahead in Kentucky and within striking distance in Alabama. I don't know why Nate includes them on his aggregator but he does.
Including them is fine but they seem to be weighted pretty highly when you consider the sample size is basically a really successful house party.

And, in the case of NH anyway, the same pollster had another poll from July 29 - August 18, which is weighted less than 1/3 of the newer one, despite being only a week old and having a larger sample size :psyduck:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah somehow that interview makes him seem endearing. Like he's just really in way over his head and bumbled along. He's probably a quack but his half-hearted explanation for why that letter is such a piece of poo poo is actually reasonable and just makes Trump look worse

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Theris posted:

That there are "swing voters" at all in the current US political climate is completely asinine. 16 years ago when Gore was running away from Clinton and picked Lieberman for VP while W was talking about "compassionate conservatism"? I could see someone with centrist views actually having a tough choice. But now, even without Trump involved, there is such a clear difference between the two parties that I have no idea how even a slightly politically aware voter might not know what party they're voting for well before the campaigns even start.

There aren't many left, but apparently there's enough of them that they could swing a close election, and that's scary as hell.

You might want to take a seat Theris, I've got some bad news for you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I plan on using it right now to counterbalance my apartment. One of the first things you see after walking in is this giant framed print from 2008 behind my desk in the living room.

So I'll put the Trump hat on the TV stand on the opposite side of the room, that way I can continue the illusion of impartiality and a general sense of confusion when I host classmates.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

EwokEntourage posted:

If you wanna be a teacher (or think you do) but don't want to get a teaching degree it is worth it First hand experience in teaching to decide if you want to do it, good resume building if you decide you don't.

It not like you'd be doing something terrible and stupid like going to law school

edit: someone remake the sonic image to say there's not ethical participation in society

No I had planned to be a teacher regardless, long term. I wanted to do TFA to specifically try and find people who needed a teacher, after having finished my degree and licensure.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Necroskowitz posted:

I think Ipsos's state polls may just be parts of their national poll. Which means the sample sizes are going to be very very small.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

GalacticAcid posted:

Oh god I know, I'd keep it filed away as a morbid curiosity.

Hang on to it, in a few decades there'll be a big market for MAGA caps just like authentic Nazi material is highly valuable these days

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Hang on to it, in a few decades there'll be a big market for MAGA caps just like authentic Nazi material is highly valuable these days

Too many of them are in circulation, the real money will be obscure poo poo like "Hillary sucks, but not like Monica" t-shirts and signed Dees prints

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
Yeah, and the cheap Chinese material probably won't last that long anyway

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It's almost comical how many people I know that fit into the TFA stereotypes. I go to Columbia and so I know a bunch of Teachers College students and grads who are doing TFA and who have been placed into various schools around NYC. Without exception, they all plan on moving into policy work after their 2 years.

Basically TFA funnels super privileged white people into minority schools just long enough to convince them that the students attending these schools are beyond hope and can't be "saved" (not to suggest that the students don't need help, but the white savior narrative is most definitely a thing) regardless of any institutional changes, at which point they leave the schools and move into positions where they could potentially make the necessary institutional changes (that they no longer believe will work or are worth trying)... and continue to perpetuate the problem.

Meanwhile TFA gets cheap labor since no one ever builds up the years of experience that should result in a raise and doesn't really have to deal with teacher unions. TFA gets to talk up and advertise how amazing their teachers are because so many come from the Ivies and other elite colleges, despite a serious lack of experience and a total lack of those teachers in long term teaching outcomes at the schools they are sent to.

TFA is a farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Necroskowitz posted:

the pivot is upon us, dehumanize yourself and face to yoogeness

• Locked thread