Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone who reads comics should try out the original Fantastic Four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everyone who reads comics should try out the original Fantastic Four.

Those first 100 issues or so are still pretty much the greatest superhero comics of all time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Those first 100 issues or so are still pretty much the greatest superhero comics of all time

Maybe even the world's greatest comics magazine?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They are Kirby and Lee at their peak, it's also the backbone of the entire marvel universe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe even the world's greatest comics magazine?

It's rare to see a tagline so earned.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

It's Blue Beetle's time to shine.

Definitely buy:

Blue Beetle (2006-2009) - An extremely winning take on Jaime Reyes.
Formerly Known As The Justice League - Humorous take on a super-team, mix with I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League for best results.
Blue & Gold (Booster Gold #0, 7-10) - The bromantic adventures of a couple of B-listers navigating the DC timeline after the events of Infinite Crisis (when Ted died).

Copra's cool too, but I've been waiting for a Blue Beetle sale, and will splurge on any issues y'all want to also recommend. I'm read up on Justice League / International / America and know nothing about Extreme Justice except it looks and sounds like a big mistake. Curious about the Captain Atom "Silver Lie" story, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not to mention Giffen /DeMatteis Justice League.

That's the thing every comic reader should read straight after The Fantastic Four.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 23, 2016

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I bought Superior Spider-Man Team Up vol 1 on comixology so that I'd have something to read on my phone when i'm in a situation where it would be weird or inconvenient to have physical comics with me. I just finished it and decided I should always have at least one comic on my phone for these situations. I want to buy the second volume, but it's $15. Is it worth waiting for a sale or is it too unlikely for comixology to ever have a sale on this so I should just bite the bullet and get it?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Comixology Unlimited worth it? Mainly wondering if they have any DC comics or if it's all dark horse and random other companies.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Comixology Unlimited worth it? Mainly wondering if they have any DC comics or if it's all dark horse and random other companies.

It's worth it for the free trial month at least. I found a lot of great comics that way. I don't think there's a lot of DC selection in Unlimited though, unfortunately.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No DC at all (or Marvel, but they have a much better subscription service.)
It's only worth it if you're going on a big sampling mission for a month or so because even series that are on unlimited generally only have the first few arcs or collections available for free.

e: Oops. Spent to long on that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 24, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Space Fish posted:

It's Blue Beetle's time to shine.

Definitely buy:

Blue Beetle (2006-2009) - An extremely winning take on Jaime Reyes.
Formerly Known As The Justice League - Humorous take on a super-team, mix with I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League for best results.
Blue & Gold (Booster Gold #0, 7-10) - The bromantic adventures of a couple of B-listers navigating the DC timeline after the events of Infinite Crisis (when Ted died).

Copra's cool too, but I've been waiting for a Blue Beetle sale, and will splurge on any issues y'all want to also recommend. I'm read up on Justice League / International / America and know nothing about Extreme Justice except it looks and sounds like a big mistake. Curious about the Captain Atom "Silver Lie" story, though.

Any specific issues to avoid with the modern Blue Beetle? I remember liking that book a lot, but never finished it. But when reading posts about the great Ms Marvel book, people mention worry they mighty ruin her at some point like DC did with the new Blue Beetle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's great to find new comic titles to read, but since it mostly only has the first trade of a run, you're going to have spend money if you wanna keep reading.

I'd say it's a good resource if you're a casual reader or new to comics but if you don't have trouble finding good stuff to read, it doesn't seem that great.

OTOH if you find a trade you want to get and it's on unlimited, you can just throw down less than the cost of the trade to read it, and then get a month to check out other stuff too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

UUUUUUUUUGH this isnt a problem with single issues but the page browser in huge volumes is such a goddamn pain. Have bookmarks or let me type in the page I want to see!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How is Comixology on smart phones? Because I've got University starting on Monday, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to start taking advantage of sales on there, so I have something to read in between classes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

How is Comixology on smart phones? Because I've got University starting on Monday, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to start taking advantage of sales on there, so I have something to read in between classes.

the app blows.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

I found I relied on guided view pretty heavily because the screen real-estate was so limited.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roth posted:

Get a tablet.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

the app blows.

Ah, is it bad to the point of not even bothering? Come to think of it, Marvel Unlimited does seem appealing as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I can read modern comics without too many words okay a full page at a time on my Nexus 5X. Two page spreads require pinching and zooming. Or books with too small or intricate lettering. Cursive is hard to parse.

I personally don't like guided view, but it's designed for use on phones.

I'd rather not use phone, but I can in a pinch. If you have a "phablet", it'd obviously be better. I'd aim for a 7" screen for long term reading.

The app is free and there are free issues to "buy", so just try it out.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 27, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

Ah, is it bad to the point of not even bothering? Come to think of it, Marvel Unlimited does seem appealing as well.

It's really not great. You could try it out with a few free issues to see.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Roth posted:

I don't know why they said the app blows. It works just fine. The Marvel Unlimited app does blow, however. It's a serious pain to use if you want to read a long run of comics. It's hella cheap, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

my advice would be to get a kindle. the comixology app works best on it and you can read marvel unlimited through the browser.

Both apps are awful on smart phones. I also hate guided views

Edit: marvel unlimited would be your best bet if you want to read marvel without too big of a wallet hit.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Roth posted:

It works great, I love it. I never liked paper so I'm biased though.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

my advice would be to get a kindle. the comixology app works best on it and you can read marvel unlimited through the browser.

Both apps are awful on smart phones. I also hate guided views

Edit: marvel unlimited would be your best bet if you want to read marvel without too big of a wallet hit.

I can probably make do with my phone for now until I can get a kindle.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

I can probably make do with my phone for now until I can get a kindle.

marvel unlimited does have the huge drawback that you can not load comics unless connected to wifi, but you can download 10 at a time to read offline.

comixology you can download as long as you have bought the comic.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My university has wi-fi access for students, so that shouldn't be a huge issue for me.

Edit - Well, if I cancel my order for the Omega Men trade, I can get a Kindle Fire in two weeks time, so I'm gonna go ahead and do that.

Roth fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 27, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't like Guided View so much on modern comics, but it's pretty awesome with Silver Age comics in my experience. Makes blowing them up and taking crisp screenshots a breeze.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On a phone you're either using guided view or pinchzooming all the time. If you need to read a comic in an emergency sure, it'll do but get a tablet.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Well, if I cancel my order for the Omega Men trade, I can get a Kindle Fire in two weeks time, so I'm gonna go ahead and do that.

You could've been the coolest kid on campus.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I use a Nexus 5 phone and I think the Marvel Unlimited app is pretty rad actually. Navigating between series' is annoying, as is having to use the Back button or closing/reopening the app to get to the home screen, but the actual reading part works well. I can read pages full screen if I want but I normally turn my phone to be horizontal and scroll down the page.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

On a phone you're either using guided view or pinchzooming all the time. If you need to read a comic in an emergency sure, it'll do but get a tablet.

I'm trying to think of a comic emergency and I cant't.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm trying to think of a comic emergency and I cant't.

Somebody claims Jan spun to the left when Hank hit her. She clearly spun off to the right.

Need to show that ingrate.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Unsure if you can see this link but, five free Old Marvel comics. Go to marvel.com/redeem with code KIRBY for the first issues of Captain America Comics, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, Avengers and Journey into Mystery 83. Enjoy!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any good comic streaming Android apps? I've asked this in the thread before but haven't yet found a real easy method. Essentially I'm looking for a server/client something like Plex Media server. Have my comics in CBZ/CBR/PDF stored on my computer and have an app that I can "stream" to my tablet and have it track what I've read and what's new.

I currently use Perfect Viewer and can open comics from a network share, but I have to remember where I left off.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I forgot you can't use Paypal anymore on Comixology. I still have no clue why Amazon never added it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait what!? Then how have I been paying for my comics?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SynthOrange posted:

wait what!? Then how have I been paying for my comics?

Must not merged with the Amazon account yet then. I did that and now only Amazon payment is allowed now.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just here to report that Marvel Unlimited works pretty well on my phone. Not perfect, and I'd obviously prefer a kindle, but reading the original Fantastic Four comics has worked pretty well on it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't think this was posted yet, (sorry, this is literally my first post in BSS) but Marvel Unlimited is running a promo, two months of Unlimited for the price of one ($9.99) using promo code 2FER.

quote:

Get 2 Months of Marvel Unlimited for the Price of 1 with code 2FER at checkout! First 2 Months for Just $9.99! *Offer valid 8/24/16 12:00 AM ET to 8/30/16 11:59 PM ET on monthly memberships only. First month billed at $9.99 and second month is free. Third and subsequent months billed monthly to the payment card on file at the then-current monthly subscription fee (currently $9.99 per month) unless and until cancelled.

Not sure if that's considered a good deal or not but I jumped on it to try it out.