Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Hot girl caught fire, plz advize.

Byzantine posted:

Trap sprung, Ghost Rider located

Well luckily the nerds natural defence of not looking a woman in the eyes saved him this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Accident

quote:

This troper has a very odd subversion. He's only been Distracted By The Sexy three times in his 17 years of what could theoretically be called life, and in each time, he stared, and sorta slammed headfirst into a different... ahem... well endowed personage of the other gender. BY ACCIDENT HAH HAH I AM NOT A PERVERT LOLZ.

Anime

quote:

This makes being a bisexual a bit of a strain on the neck, frankly. Anime conventions... pretty boys in dresses and hot girls in suits. Woof!
This (female) troper was talking with her two best (female) friends while walking down a hallway at the local anime convention. About 30 seconds later, this troper realized that said friends had mysteriously vanished. Reason? As they later put it... "Did you see that guy's abs?!" As well, at the same convention, this troper walked into a small metal café table due to an absolutely gorgeous Fran cosplayer.

Boy

quote:

This troper's younger brother (who is 16), to a certain degree. He has Asperger's Syndrome and is rather awkward (though recent dietary restrictions have helped him on his way to recovery), but he has incredibly romantic ideas about love; think of a Real Life version of Christian from Moulin Rouge. He'll get a crush on a girl and he'll hang around her and try to befriend her, which often results in just friendship, though some may not be so welcoming (but that's rare). However, when it came to his first "love," Erica, whom he was infatuated with from the first grade until eighth grade, he would publicly announce his affection, including one time in the third grade when he got down on his knee in front of her and vowed his love for her. Now it's somewhat subverted, since he's a sophomore boy that a freshman girl evidently has a crush on (how does he know she likes him? He asked her).

Priest

quote:

This troper's most... er, memorable experience on the road involved a Catholic priest driving at breakneck speed down a twisty mountain road, barrelling down narrow one-way streets, pretending that the brakes were busted right before a cliff, and other shenanigans. All this in a minivan so overcrowded that this troper was squeezed between someone's knees and the seat in front of them. Luckily enough, said priest was actually good enough to pull this off without killing anyone or damaging anything.
Considering who was driving, it may not have been a question of skill so much as divine protection.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
I hope I didn't already post this dumb bullshit.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

JGdmn posted:

"My incestual rapist great-grandfather better than yours, cuz he's Scottish you see."

I don't know what you guys find so strange about this story. Are you going to tell me that when you have an argument you don't enumerate your ancestors, like your life is an anime?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Telemaze posted:

I love the bit where he funked up. :slick:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sorry I meant "I like how".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sorry I meant "I like how".

This isn't YOSPOS

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Telemaze posted:

"zombie" "urban"

Uh-huh, gently caress that guy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Telemaze posted:

This is the sort of power fantasy poo poo that you can be positive they had a hardon while typing out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weatherman posted:

This isn't YOSPOS

I'm a wandering how-likesman, liking how wherever I may roam. Anyway I don't see sub-forums.

Oh sorry, I meant "I'm the".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Telemaze posted:

Is there a way to get these types of posts to display better in the awful app? They're always so tiny and hard to read when I'm on the phone. Obviously 0% Telemaze's fault, just looking for a better solution.

For content: reading that post made my dog go crazy.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

"zombie" "urban"

As idiotic as his story is, "urban" is indeed the opposite of "rural," which is the other word he used.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Non Serviam posted:

As idiotic as his story is, "urban" is indeed the opposite of "rural," which is the other word he used.

Earning your title, I see.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Telemaze posted:

Yeah, as someone who's actually been in that area, that's a pretty decent part of Nashville, and you're probably not gonna get hosed with there.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Earning your title, I see.

Because I said that there's no dog Whistle racism when the word "urban" is used as the opposite of "rural"?
Boy, urban developments must gently caress you up.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Fathis Munk posted:

"zombie" "urban"

I can't loving stand people who use code words to describe another race. And they will always have a smirk on their face when they say it too, especially when in public. So you are racist enough to talk poo poo about them, but not brave enough to do it where they can hear you.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Boofchicken posted:

I can't loving stand people who use code words to describe another race. And they will always have a smirk on their face when they say it too, especially when in public. So you are racist enough to talk poo poo about them, but not brave enough to do it where they can hear you.

I don't know dude, it must be really weird to read about fictional homeless criminal and think 'THAT MUST BE A BLACK GUY "

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Boofchicken posted:

"I'm using politically correct code-words so I can pretend you're the racist if you call me on it :smug: "

Non Serviam posted:

I don't know dude, it must be really weird to read about fictional homeless criminal and think 'THAT MUST BE A BLACK GUY "

Bless you if you think what boof said isn't a thing actual people really do

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

Bless you if you think what boof said isn't a thing actual people really do

I'm not trying to be a smart rear end, I sincerely didn't get any racist vibe from that.

Is zombie a word for black people now?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not trying to be a smart rear end, I sincerely didn't get any racist vibe from that.

Is zombie a word for black people now?

Yes and has been for years, I don't know if this and the red text mean you're a gimmick but on the off chance someone else doesn't know, then yeah, that's been one of many code words that have existed for a while.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

To be fair at least the writer of that selection didn't give the guy an exaggerated dialect like most of those writers do. So I can understand NS missing it reading through that if you're not familiar with the use of those weaseling words

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Yes and has been for years, I don't know if this and the red text mean you're a gimmick but on the off chance someone else doesn't know, then yeah, that's been one of many code words that have existed for a while.

I have literally never encountered that but then I don't read Stormfront :shrug:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have literally never encountered that but then I don't read Stormfront :shrug:

That's literally one of the things coding does, it hides words behind familiar sounding terms so that you can be a racist in plain sight.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is this in North America?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

That's literally one of the things coding does, it hides words behind familiar sounding terms so that you can be a racist in plain sight.

I can't recall a single instance where I've seen anyone called a zombie is what I meant.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm actually just hoping this is STDH because everyone I know who plays guitar can play Metallica songs anyway.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

To be fair at least the writer of that selection didn't give the guy an exaggerated dialect like most of those writers do. So I can understand NS missing it reading through that if you're not familiar with the use of those weaseling words

When I read it I just imagined a random white hobo. South Park even made a joke about zombies and hobos. The fact that the guy didn't have the exaggerated dialect also made me think he wasn't some racist fantasy.
I have literally never heard of zombies uses in this manner.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i know from my time of lurking in TFR "post dumb poo poo from other forums" threads that people on gun forums are constantly talking about defending their homes from "goblins" and "zombies" and are almost universally talking about black people

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Around here zombie is used to refer to junkies of any race, since they're the closest thing to a real life zombie.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alaois posted:

i know from my time of lurking in TFR "post dumb poo poo from other forums" threads that people on gun forums are constantly talking about defending their homes from "goblins" and "zombies" and are almost universally talking about black people

People who post on gun forums are more racist than the population at large and have their own racist lingo SHOCK HORROR

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm actually just hoping this is STDH because everyone I know who plays guitar can play Metallica songs anyway.

Pft. Metallica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zT_i6LdX9w&t=23s

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Desk Lamp posted:

Around here zombie is used to refer to junkies of any race, since they're the closest thing to a real life zombie.

Same. Zombie=black seems like a stretch to me.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

People who post on gun forums are more racist than the population at large and have their own racist lingo SHOCK HORROR

I guess I just don't understand your flipflop now - this dude's post was racially coded gun nut insanity. People familiar with watching that type of crazy person commented on the language to explain it to people who weren't aware of it.

You and non serial or whatever his name is proceeded to leap in here to defend this dude.

Now you're acting like everyone knows that gun nuts are racist and have code words they use to be publicly racist, just like in that post.

Good job finally catching up to the rest of the class, I guess.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Xen Tricks posted:

I feel like you could word filter "troper" to "oblivious rear end in a top hat" and basically nothing would change

I wonder if the founders of TVTropes would have stopped if they were to know that in the future, the site they made to collect and categorize cheap narrative devices would be over-run by people who have decided that those devices are actually the way the world works.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

e_angst posted:

I wonder if the founders of TVTropes would have stopped if they were to know that in the future, the site they made to collect and categorize cheap narrative devices would be over-run by people who have decided that those devices are actually the way the world works.

From what I've heard of them, they just might have. I wonder how much money they've made off the site and whether that overshadows the rest.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Monkey posted:

I guess I just don't understand your flipflop now - this dude's post was racially coded gun nut insanity. People familiar with watching that type of crazy person commented on the language to explain it to people who weren't aware of it.

You and non serial or whatever his name is proceeded to leap in here to defend this dude.

Now you're acting like everyone knows that gun nuts are racist and have code words they use to be publicly racist, just like in that post.

No you don't understand, if a forums poster hasn't heard of something it doesn't exist.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

I didn't defend this guy, I said that you, or whatever poster it was, was grasping at straws trying to come up with some racism to get angry about.
Honestly, it's more concerning for me that any stories about criminal hobos make you think of black people. I'm sure they appreciate your desire to carry the white man's burden.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

You are really loving stupid.

poo poo that didn't happen: what you posted about.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Aug 27, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

INTERNET FIGHT!

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=gZJfFljvNg0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.