Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Unfunny Poster posted:

The Widow is the best BLOPS in the game.

Shield panther or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Unfunny Poster posted:

The Widow is the best BLOPS in the game.

this is the kind of unchill i can get behind (fly sins)

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Sin is definitely the best blops in the game, but gently caress me if I have to fly yet another droneship, this game has far too many op droneboats already

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I've been buried under an audit for the past three months. Why is this :rip:?

QFC committed suicide, basically. And the idiocy is so monumental that it deserves slightly more words.

TLDR:

NC/PL gave Broski North some assistance in dropping a Fortizar in the middle of Querious. This gave Broski a safe platform to use for hotdropping pretty much the entire region -- nearly the entire region is in blops range from there, and the best ratting sections of the region is in dread/super range. They promptly camped the hell out of the region and basically shut down ratting entirely. So QFC couldn't rat for fear of getting dropped, they were running out of money, and they were starting to lose systems due to ADMs dropping. (Plus, you had Infamous effectively AFK doing their Stainwagon escapades.)

Now, a sensible group would say "hey, Broski gets maybe 30 people online tops if NC/PL isn't there to assist them, we can put together 50-100 without hurfing much and with decent capital support -- why don't we put together a proper fleet and take out the fortizar?" The problem is, QFC's members were mostly idealistic trysofts and just couldn't bring themselves to cooperate. It was this stupid dream of "10-11 small alliances which never permablued and each owned a few systems and had ~gudfights~" and they wanted it so badly that they weren't willing to cooperate in the face of a stronger threat. They were so loving allergic to the idea of a blue list, or uniform doctrines, and they stuck to gatecamping their own constellations and skirmishing with each other, at the same time that Broski was preventing them from replenishing their losses. And in the few instances where they would sack up enough to temp-blue and try to hit the Fortizar, they wouldn't do single unified fleets (and not many people would show up), resulting in them feeding poo poo to the Fortizar like it was a bugzapper.

Demoralized and out of isk reserves, one or two people started packing up, and once a rush starts for the door, you can't stop it. (Especially once we moved into Delve and idiots started fearing that we'd expand into Querious -- despite our attempts to reassure them that we didn't need the space and would prefer to have neighbors to fight.)

The moral of the story is that some people just deserve to live in lowsec, and there's no value in creating systems like Fozziesov to attempt to elevate such groups. Holding sov requires organization and commitment, and that's incompatible with alliances who have chosen to elevate "be disorderly" to the status of a guiding moral principle.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

wormholes have been one of the best ways for a dedicated group to play all over the map, and there's been a few times where we'll show up and dunk a 30man qfc fleet with 70-80 dudes

is this fair? no, but it's fun for us

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

QFC committed suicide, basically. And the idiocy is so monumental that it deserves slightly more words.

TLDR:

NC/PL gave Broski North some assistance in dropping a Fortizar in the middle of Querious. This gave Broski a safe platform to use for hotdropping pretty much the entire region -- nearly the entire region is in blops range from there, and the best ratting sections of the region is in dread/super range. They promptly camped the hell out of the region and basically shut down ratting entirely. So QFC couldn't rat for fear of getting dropped, they were running out of money, and they were starting to lose systems due to ADMs dropping. (Plus, you had Infamous effectively AFK doing their Stainwagon escapades.)

Now, a sensible group would say "hey, Broski gets maybe 30 people online tops if NC/PL isn't there to assist them, we can put together 50-100 without hurfing much and with decent capital support -- why don't we put together a proper fleet and take out the fortizar?" The problem is, QFC's members were mostly idealistic trysofts and just couldn't bring themselves to cooperate. It was this stupid dream of "10-11 small alliances which never permablued and each owned a few systems and had ~gudfights~" and they wanted it so badly that they weren't willing to cooperate in the face of a stronger threat. They were so loving allergic to the idea of a blue list, or uniform doctrines, and they stuck to gatecamping their own constellations and skirmishing with each other, at the same time that Broski was preventing them from replenishing their losses. And in the few instances where they would sack up enough to temp-blue and try to hit the Fortizar, they wouldn't do single unified fleets (and not many people would show up), resulting in them feeding poo poo to the Fortizar like it was a bugzapper.

Demoralized and out of isk reserves, one or two people started packing up, and once a rush starts for the door, you can't stop it. (Especially once we moved into Delve and idiots started fearing that we'd expand into Querious -- despite our attempts to reassure them that we didn't need the space and would prefer to have neighbors to fight.)

The moral of the story is that some people just deserve to live in lowsec, and there's no value in creating systems like Fozziesov to attempt to elevate such groups. Holding sov requires organization and commitment, and that's incompatible with alliances who have chosen to elevate "be disorderly" to the status of a guiding moral principle.

You're not including the stuff earlier that helps explain your bit a little more.

QFC was left in the hands of BRAVE when Horde decided to move north to get closer to the fighting. They asked/demanded (depending on who you talk to) the other Querious Thunderdome (we never called it QFC) to move up with them to join in. Affirmative, BRAVE, Rote etc. were all too content to just rat and carebear and not get involved in big wars. When Horde left guys from Rote etc. started spouting about how they were God's gift to Nullsec and they were the more competent leaders of the Querious groups, etc. etc.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

When Horde left guys from Rote etc. started spouting about how they were God's gift to Nullsec and they were the more competent leaders of the Querious groups, etc. etc.

that's like being king of the :downs:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazzzzz posted:

that's like being king of the :downs:

Which is what Rote strives to be.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ullerrm posted:

TLDR:

So... PL hired Broski to be their sheepdogs and make sure their BRAVE cattle made their way to their new Fade pasture?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

So... PL hired Broski to be their sheepdogs and make sure their BRAVE cattle made their way to their new Fade pasture?

Honestly at this point I'm just going to assume Brave and it's membership are so stone cold stupid that they deserve whatever comes at them.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Rhymenoserous posted:

Honestly at this point I'm just going to assume Brave and it's membership are so stone cold stupid that they deserve whatever comes at them.

Yeah, either Gobbins is the same Mittens-esque, mustache-twirling, Machiavellian sociopath he claims to hate, or Brave played themselves and the whole thing fell into his lap in a delightful comedy of errors. Either way it's pretty funny to watch from over here.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Morris posted:

Yeah, either Gobbins is the same Mittens-esque, mustache-twirling, Machiavellian sociopath he claims to hate, or Brave played themselves and the whole thing fell into his lap in a delightful comedy of errors. Either way it's pretty funny to watch from over here.

You don't have to really apply much pressure; kill some caps and faction BS and many groups will crumble

leStrom
Jul 30, 2014
J5G here. Nothing going on in life, lots of free time to spare, haven't yet activated eve on account of the last time I played I just hosed off in the middle of nowhere. Looking for direction and interpersonal connection of a sexual nature. (I briefly played archeage with kimsemus [I bring this up since his name is in the op] memories of his leadership left me wanting [critical hit!], though goonunionism).

TLDR; thinking about reactivating eve and need someone to tell me what to do, I'm your bitch till gainfully employed.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the various recruitment threads are in the Private Game Servers subforum, multiple options to fly with goons

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

leStrom posted:

tell me what to do

Perform measurements and calculations to plot elasticity as a function of radius, for your butthole. While vlogging it. Separate curves for clenched/relaxed obviously.

...this started as a joke, but after consideration: if you actually do this I'll vouch your groon application.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

PL put their alts in broski to farm them.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

leStrom posted:

J5G here. Nothing going on in life, lots of free time to spare, haven't yet activated eve on account of the last time I played I just hosed off in the middle of nowhere. Looking for direction and interpersonal connection of a sexual nature. (I briefly played archeage with kimsemus [I bring this up since his name is in the op] memories of his leadership left me wanting [critical hit!], though goonunionism).

TLDR; thinking about reactivating eve and need someone to tell me what to do, I'm your bitch till gainfully employed.

I'm going to preach a bit here: Join goonswarm via karmafleet. Now is the best time to join GSF. When I joined it was directly after we bombed out of delve, failed a cloud ring invasion and landed on the couch. I got to live through and assist the rebuilding that made us the juggernaut everyone was afraid of for years and brother: I have stories. I have stories about running a squad, I have stories about fighting wars, I have a story about the funniest thing boat ever did in a fleet, and I have stories about why you don't go on boat fleets. I've got entertaining director stories, hilarious AT fuckup stories. Building an empire is great fun. We're starting construction now, get in on the ground floor.

There are other options available, sure.

There's Groon: Which is a cool group of dudes that I've flown with a few times, but they are small, and frankly they fade in and out of obscurity in the greater goon consciousness due to a relatively small group size that sometimes goes inactive for weeks spanning to months at a time. Curiously they seem active at the moment, good for them!

There's DJ's "Goonswarm": Groon Mk 2 the bitter ex abloobloobloo. Currently a pandemic horde pet. If you can stomach being the pet of a pet, I guess this is a doable thing. I was going to say the only thing they really had going for them as it pertains to helping newbies along is Kismeteer but it looks like he hosed off to Bat Country. If you really want to be on the "Opposite" side of most of the goons here, and want a good newbie experience I'd probably just say join Horde which is in no way goon affiliated.

I'm not going to put elitist ops or BAT on the table in this discussion because throwing a relatively inexperienced guy at either of those would basically be chumming the waters, newbees don't really belong in PL and you are going to be suffering from some serious fish out of water situations if you did join. If you do decide that rout: BAT is the way to go (if available). Endie is an outstanding fellow who I have nothing but respect for.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
There's a downside of being a newbie, and that the doctrine ships are waaay up there in required skills. It's frustrating every so often to look over a recommendation and realize that you're weeks if not months away from effectively piloting whatever doctrine ship or ratting fit, or even knockaround boat for fighting randos.

HOWEVER.

The other half of the doctrine that doesn't see a lot of joy in my opinion is the (now frigate) ewar ships that are piss-easy to skill into. Effectively skill into. Like, 2 days and you're capable, 2 weeks and you're baller. Nothing, read, NOTHING is as satisfying as loving up a monster battleship's day with your little piss-valued frigate that you got for free by giving them gun myopia so severe they can't even target the tackle frigate that's crawling up their nose.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

El Spamo posted:

There's a downside of being a newbie, and that the doctrine ships are waaay up there in required skills. It's frustrating every so often to look over a recommendation and realize that you're weeks if not months away from effectively piloting whatever doctrine ship or ratting fit, or even knockaround boat for fighting randos.

HOWEVER.

The other half of the doctrine that doesn't see a lot of joy in my opinion is the (now frigate) ewar ships that are piss-easy to skill into. Effectively skill into. Like, 2 days and you're capable, 2 weeks and you're baller. Nothing, read, NOTHING is as satisfying as loving up a monster battleship's day with your little piss-valued frigate that you got for free by giving them gun myopia so severe they can't even target the tackle frigate that's crawling up their nose.

FFYF was pretty fun to cruise around Deklein in when I was just getting started with Eve. I still remember catching a Black Legion cynabal fleet and tearing it apart and it being the coolest Eve fleet ever. That was back when it was Vexors and Celestis mainly.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I remember when I couldn't fly poo poo in SV, used to fly a celestis and whore on everything with painters, while telling myself I was totally helping out by making everyone else track/hit beter. Thems the days.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenWing posted:

trolling and lying are both unchill

Fight me 1v1 at the sun.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Fight me 1v1 at the sun.

i'll 1v1 u when im home from work scrub n5y BE THERE

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

There was a newbie-based fleet for a while that used tons of sensor damps with range scripts (I believe) to basically render battleships and capital ships useless because they couldn't target anything. This was back in the days when wrecking ball was a thing. FuckYouFleet was a magical thing.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The concept is still around, except the primary target for damps is usually enemy logi, and it's not typically run as a separate fleet unless it's a huge op where the FC has to boot frigates to make room for more line ships.

leStrom
Jul 30, 2014
So basically gently caress me because im j4g and I think fearless leader is a bit of a prick.

I haven't played this game since uh 2006 looking at my poo poo. But apparently old me knew how to play the game though I am drat sure I could pilot a hound back then it looks like poo poo has changed(while new me is retarded and just reallocated a 30k of skill points randomly)
It looks like im a few days away from getting back in my covert ops frigate. I can pilot cruisers with the option of teching into battleships. I can do "stuff" or I used to be able to do "stuff" but me 10 years ago was also a lot more interested in doing "stuff" and me now doesn't remember how to play loneliness simulator 3016.

I remember having vague ideas of grandeur of either piloting a near invisible missile boat and blowing poo poo up, or playing as a target painter so that the missile boats could do the same. Someone point me in the right direction.

On a side note I'm here to have fun, not dwarf fortress style fun, because when that's what im looking for I play dwarf fortress. I want to feel like my contributions to xxx are somewhat meaningful to the playscape even though I don't even know what that is, and in all honesty I fully expect to quit this poo poo once my IRL life takes a turn for the better. I'm sure I don't fit it any master plans but I still want to gently caress some poo poo up.

Basically I'm the last person anyone wants to deal with, and since I've done this j4g poo poo before I poo poo on your karma crap. I'm not likely to stick around. I'm not here to make long lasting friendships, I don't care what about "politics", I just want to blow some poo poo up and listen to some nerds talk about how cool it was over VOIP, while avoiding whining and backstabery about how the "commander' is an undervalued asset.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Join Groon. Play Overwatch and never look back :yayclod:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

leStrom posted:

So basically gently caress me because im j4g and I think fearless leader is a bit of a prick.

I haven't played this game since uh 2006 looking at my poo poo. But apparently old me knew how to play the game though I am drat sure I could pilot a hound back then it looks like poo poo has changed(while new me is retarded and just reallocated a 30k of skill points randomly)
It looks like im a few days away from getting back in my covert ops frigate. I can pilot cruisers with the option of teching into battleships. I can do "stuff" or I used to be able to do "stuff" but me 10 years ago was also a lot more interested in doing "stuff" and me now doesn't remember how to play loneliness simulator 3016.

I remember having vague ideas of grandeur of either piloting a near invisible missile boat and blowing poo poo up, or playing as a target painter so that the missile boats could do the same. Someone point me in the right direction.

On a side note I'm here to have fun, not dwarf fortress style fun, because when that's what im looking for I play dwarf fortress. I want to feel like my contributions to xxx are somewhat meaningful to the playscape even though I don't even know what that is, and in all honesty I fully expect to quit this poo poo once my IRL life takes a turn for the better. I'm sure I don't fit it any master plans but I still want to gently caress some poo poo up.

Basically I'm the last person anyone wants to deal with, and since I've done this j4g poo poo before I poo poo on your karma crap. I'm not likely to stick around. I'm not here to make long lasting friendships, I don't care what about "politics", I just want to blow some poo poo up and listen to some nerds talk about how cool it was over VOIP, while avoiding whining and backstabery about how the "commander' is an undervalued asset.

uh ok

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

leStrom posted:

:eyepop:

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

leStrom posted:

This. This is your second post on Something Awful, a prestigious internet forums.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I know this is the chill thread and all but my gut says :frogout:

seriously join karmafleet, you'll get access to all of the same fleets, special interest groups, etc. as any other GSF corp and can make up your own mind as to whether or not you want to hang around or bail

or don't, your call

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 27, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
what am I thinking this is the next csm candidate right here

leStrom
Jul 30, 2014
I dunno how to respond... I'm vaguely suspicious of imps given my prior experiences with archeage goons. No one owes me anything and I've made my intentions clear. Karma squad looks like trial by trolling and I've done that once before.
The Groons sound like my ideal place given the circumstances, I'm just here for direction. Sorry, if I come off an rear end in a top hat.

(and I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge I'm wrong)

leStrom fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 27, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Ok

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

leStrom posted:

Wow.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

leStrom posted:

What is it about goons in Eve that causes this.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
bad games and internet forums are like magnets for turbo sperg

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Hey guys just looking for some advice. gently caress YOU ALL UR ALL WORTHLESS ASSHOLES AND I DON'T loving PLAY YOUR GAMES BITCHES. So yeah any help appreciated.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

leStrom posted:

I dunno how to respond... I'm vaguely suspicious of imps given my prior experiences with archeage goons. No one owes me anything and I've made my intentions clear. Karma squad looks like trial by trolling and I've done that once before.
The Groons sound like my ideal place given the circumstances, I'm just here for direction. Sorry, if I come off an rear end in a top hat.

(and I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge I'm wrong)

Flip a coin and join Karmafleet or Groons. No one cares which way you go. If you don't like it, then try the other one. It's Eve Online, not choosing a spouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
LeStrom, please write a five paragraph essay comparing and contrasting authoritarian video game guilds to real-world dictatorships. Be sure to include lots of strongly-held opinions on each of your points. If I deem it sincere, I'll send you instructions on how to successfully join Goonwaffe.

(Five paragraphs doesn't necessarily mean "long," but it should be well-constructed.)

• Locked thread