Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you wanna watch something uproariously funny and don't mind subtitles, Spy Time is basically The Naked Gun or Spies Like Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I'm probably late to the Invitation party, but it's worth a watch. Man hasn't seen his ex wife in two years. She invites him and a group of their mutual friends to her house in the Hollywood hills for dinner and to tell them all what she's been up to.

I would say I like psychological thrillers but am not a horror buff or anything. So when the movie felt more like the former, I think I liked it. When it seemed to lean into horror tropes, I enjoyed it less.

The ending was neat as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While in ways they're radically different, if you like The Invitation please watch The Overnight. It's a much better psychological horror :)

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I literally couldn't believe the dude in the Invitation wasn't Tom Hardy. Was a fun (but slow) movie with a cool ending.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I am wondering what I should watch on Netflix, Amazon, or streaming elsewhere - great SciFi

Stuff like the Martian, Gravity, etc. I guess you would call it hard SciFi

I also like: Alien, Aliens,, etc.

If anyone can recommend me something I would be really grateful. Thanks.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

du -hast posted:

I am wondering what I should watch on Netflix, Amazon, or streaming elsewhere - great SciFi

Moon, on the off chance you have the Starz upgrade for Amazon Prime.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Paper Kaiju posted:

Moon, on the off chance you have the Starz upgrade for Amazon Prime.

Ooh I have watched Moon also, it's friggen great! Anything else? Thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

du -hast posted:

Have you seen Europa Report? It's on Netflix. It's kind of a "found footage sci-fi movie" and works way better than it should.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Europa Report is excellent.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Not sure if it would be in the same wheelhouse or not but I really enjoyed Hard to Be a God.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

du -hast posted:

Event Horizon.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lets KS the Maxx back

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I don't see it right now, but I feel pretty sure I saw Sunshine at some point in the last year on either prime or netflix. If that's true, it should come back at some point. It should scratch your Martian/Alien itch pretty good.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

precision posted:

While in ways they're radically different, if you like The Invitation please watch The Overnight. It's a much better psychological horror :)

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm going to watch it!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just caught most of Me, Earl, and The Dying Girl on HBO (should on Demand or GO) and I loved it, Still need to see the ending but it was shot so energetically, and given the subject matter, surprisingly light.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fishtobaskets posted:

I don't see it right now, but I feel pretty sure I saw Sunshine at some point in the last year on either prime or netflix. If that's true, it should come back at some point. It should scratch your Martian/Alien itch pretty good.

I believe it was on Netflix though I recall it being more than a year ago. Sunshine is fantastic, despite/especially because it turns into Event Horizon 2 halfway through.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently watching Europa Report. It's a bit slow but totally what I am into. I also really really enjoyed Sunshine - it was unexpectedly fantastic.

Will watch Event Horizon next for sure.

Also, is there anything similar to Primer/Upstream Color? You guys are great.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Might want to check out Solaris and Stalker if you like Carruth's stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

peer posted:

I literally couldn't believe the dude in the Invitation wasn't Tom Hardy. Was a fun (but slow) movie with a cool ending.

I don't disagree as I also enjoyed The Invitation, I gave it 3 stars for how slow it was. I would have liked a little more streamlining to the exposition and more Toby Huss.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I purposely didn't watch The Americans after missing season 1 so I could watch it as a future binge watch. Well I am almost done with season 2, and it has been really good so far. I keep hearing it gets better with every season, so I am excited about my continued binge.

fishtobaskets posted:

Watching Mr. Robot now on Amazon Prime. Through the first 3 episodes it is pretty great and really great by USA formula standards. What I really wanted to comment on though, is the cold open into the title cards. That poo poo is phenomenal.

Count me as someone that thinks that it did live up to the hype. I have some slight problems with season 2 (but that could be fixed very soon and I usually don't judge a series like this until the finale), but outside of guessing the twist from the very start I had no issues with season 1. I really like the vibe of the show a lot.

That said when talking about 'computer related' shows I think both Halt & Catch Fire and Silicon Valley are better.

regulargonzalez posted:

This and Bloodline are two of the best shows going and anyone who likes one will probably like the other. Their pacing and general feel are very similar.

I burned thru season 1, but by the time I hit season 2 I just couldn't continue. Overall I liked season 1, I just never found it great outside of Ben Mendelsohn's and Chloe Sevigny's performances. I might try season 2 again later.

precision posted:

The Overnight is different in tone (and a much better movie), but I like what you did there.

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't disagree as I also enjoyed The Invitation, I gave it 3 stars for how slow it was. I would have liked a little more streamlining to the exposition and more Toby Huss.

It is the perfect movie to accidentally find and watch on Netflix. Still despite liking it, I felt something was just missing from it to take it to the next level. That said the ending was perfect.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 23, 2016

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

nate fisher posted:

I purposely didn't watch The Americans after missing season 1 so I could watch it as a future binge watch. Well I am almost done with season 2, and it has been really good so far. I keep hearing it gets better with every season, so I am excited about my continued binge.

The second season was probably my favorite so far, but even season 4 (which I finished recently) is the same quality output the show's always had.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I just caught most of Me, Earl, and The Dying Girl on HBO (should on Demand or GO) and I loved it, Still need to see the ending but it was shot so energetically, and given the subject matter, surprisingly light.

Yeah this movie is so, so good. Absolutely loved it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do you guys recommend the Wave?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The German film about students and fascism? I enjoyed it. It isn't amazing, but I enjoyed it. It was effectively done, which is tricky with a premise like that. I recommend it, but not for everyone.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Chichevache posted:

The German film about students and fascism? I enjoyed it. It isn't amazing, but I enjoyed it. It was effectively done, which is tricky with a premise like that. I recommend it, but not for everyone.

The Norwegian film about a Wave

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's very good.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I enjoyed it a lot as well. The English voice track was pretty bad though, use subs if you can.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The problem I had with it was that if you dubbed the actors voices with American actors it would just seem like a badly audio-synced Hollywood thriller. It ticks all the same boxes and recycles all the old cliches of disaster movies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

donquixotic posted:

The problem I had with it was that if you dubbed the actors voices with American actors it would just seem like a badly audio-synced Hollywood thriller. It ticks all the same boxes and recycles all the old cliches of disaster movies

Yea, as is typical for this kind of thing, the build-up to the wave and the actual scene where it hits are very good, but after that I was kinda just waiting for the movie to be over.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So, has no one else watched The Get Down on Netflix, or was it just universally panned here and I missed it?

I thought it was pretty OK, not spectacular but pretty fun to watch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
No, the first two episodes are really good.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Doctor Butts posted:

So, has no one else watched The Get Down on Netflix, or was it just universally panned here and I missed it?

I thought it was pretty OK, not spectacular but pretty fun to watch.

I love it but I'm also a Hanz Lermann fan

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Elvis & Nixon was added to Amazon Prime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
SLC Punk 2: Punk's Dead is on Netflix. It's quite obviously terrible, but in a watchable and even rather quaint way. It's like a heterosexual, PG-13 Greg Arraki film.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Last Kingdom is a pretty good show about a Saxon kid who gets kidnapped from Northumbria and raised by Norsemen who has to later go back to the Saxon world as an adult. I can't vouch for how accurate it is because I know very little about this period.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The Last Kingdom is a pretty good show about a Saxon kid who gets kidnapped from Northumbria and raised by Norsemen who has to later go back to the Saxon world as an adult. I can't vouch for how accurate it is because I know very little about this period.

Word of warning the first ep is 1000x better then the rest and those hover around OK to pretty good. Hauer rules.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
I thought Last Kingdom was great all the way through. Excited for season 2, supposedly filming now with a bigger budget. It is kind of a male version of a bodice ripper.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The books are absurdly accurate. Cornwell goes into his research into the afterword to each book, and Uhtred himself and some of the side characters are the only invented elements (aside from bits where Cornwell had to fill in gaps in the recorded history).

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Just started watching Mr Robot and I'm hooked. This show is amazingly good. (S1 on Amazon Prime and hoping they chuck S2 up as well). Rami Malek does a crazy good job in the lead - the corridor scene in Steel Mountain was just devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The period/world were super cool, but man was the main character just awful until the very end of the season. It felt like everytime someone gave him advice, he regarded only do far as to go the extreme opposite direction which only made his problems worse. It's hard to root for a character who goes out of his way to make the stupid decision. Hopefully season 2 will be better as he showed improvement right at the very end of season 1.