Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Edit: wrong thread!

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

Siren 1 is a bad game gameplaywise. It's got all the worst janky unforgiving bullshit of a survival horror game combined with Sierra tier obtuse as poo poo puzzles that would make Roberta Williams jealous.

i've always wondered how things like this happened. you have to test a game quite a bit as you're developing it. did they just have people with broken brains do all the testing?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

i've always wondered how things like this happened. you have to test a game quite a bit as you're developing it. did they just have people with broken brains do all the testing?
Well in the case of adventure games like Sierra's they purposely made them bullshit so you'd have to call the Sierra Hint Hotline. It was a purposeful business strategy.

Games like Siren, on the other hand where they weren't trying to nickle and dime you, I have no idea why.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 27, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A game like Siren which was probably done on a pretty small budget would likely have used QA for bug testing purposes only, the rest can be put down to a combination of being deliberately obtuse for purposes of atmosphere and the developers not being very good.
They did learn however and Siren 2 is a lot more approachable.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

A game like Siren which was probably done on a pretty small budget would likely have used QA for bug testing purposes only, the rest can be put down to a combination of being deliberately obtuse for purposes of atmosphere and the developers not being very good.
They did learn however and Siren 2 is a lot more approachable.
The thing is, most of the Siren crew worked on Silent Hill 1, which is a lot more accessible and also was pretty much done on a shoestring budget too.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 27, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Siren's UK voice acting was hilariously bad. A genuinely creepy game that had me in fits of laughter at them seemingly using SCEE office staff to voice the characters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fil5000 posted:

Siren's UK voice acting was hilariously bad. A genuinely creepy game that had me in fits of laughter at them seemingly using SCEE office staff to voice the characters.

PROFESSSAH!

If you don't love Tamon and Yoriko you have no soul. :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

Well in the case of adventure games like Sierra's they purposely made them bullshit so you'd have to call the Sierra Hint Hotline. It was a purposeful business strategy.

Games like Siren, on the other hand where they weren't trying to nickle and dime you, I have no idea why.

oh yeah i know the adventure games i grew up on them. but even on a small budget or whatever siren is inexcusable.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The voice acting actively makes that game much better, you're crazy.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Looking for horror "walking simulators"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

The voice acting actively makes that game much better, you're crazy.

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said it was bad voice acting. I liked it because at that time the worst you usually got was competent voice actors reading bad scripts, and this was people that didn't seem to be voice actors at all reading a competent script, which was just bizarre.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

SOMA is good though there are some mild puzzles and bits where you have to avoid things.

I enjoyed the Vanishing of Ethan Carter too

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Sylvio is close enough to fit the bill, you do fight shadows, but most of the game is just looking around for ghosts to record and solving puzzles. It's not perfect, but considering it was pretty much made entirely by one guy its quite nice. It's proof that not all Unity horror games are dogshit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I enjoyed the Vanishing of Ethan Carter too

this game was a huge bummer for me.

i wish soma had been more of a game even though i enjoyed it. it's definitely the best "walking simulator" by quite a margin.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I tried Moirai and the idea is good, but you get out of it what you put in.
Spoilers for my personal experience, but getting the email to find you've been murdered by farmer xxdankKush420xx ruins the feeling somewhat.

yeah I agree.

I was lucky that I got someone who gave real answers the first time I played instead of stuff like "lol its period blood" and "dont kill me cuz ill kno huehuehuehuehue"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Avoid Murdered: Soul Suspect

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exploding mummy posted:

Avoid Murdered: Soul Suspect
Do play Ghost Trick and the Blackwell series though, even if they're not horror and more on the point and click side.

They're some of the best ghost games around.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really didn't mind Murdered at all. The stealth sections were supposed to be awful, but I just went around Solid Snaking all the ghosts and didn't stealth a drat thing, so

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

I really didn't mind Murdered at all. The stealth sections were supposed to be awful, but I just went around Solid Snaking all the ghosts and didn't stealth a drat thing, so

the stealth sections were godawful, the game desperately needed an in game map, and as someone who lives near Salem and has friends who live in Salem, that was like the worst version of Salem I have ever seen

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So why stealth anything? It was far easier to just walk up to every demon silly enough to put its back to you (read: all of them) and kill it dead in one shot. Took like a minute and then you were free to do whatever.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

What are some ''good'' games to watch an LP of in the vein of Phantasmagoria, Harvester, etc? This is the kind of stuff I read about in gaming magazines as a teen but they never brought to the poo poo town I lived in. I only ever played Gabriel Knight and that one wasn't all that good. So I'm talking edgy FMV horror games.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

The name escapes me, but The Secret World people made just this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The Park.

ravenkult posted:

I only ever played Gabriel Knight and that one wasn't all that good.
I'll fight you.

But to fulfill your request Bad Mojo is a legit good game.

Also Dark Eye and Bad Day at the Midway, while not FMV are still neat 90's horror-esque multimedia adventure games.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 27, 2016

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The Park

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

The Park.
I'll fight you.

But to fulfill your request Bad Mojo is a legit good game.

Also Dark Eye and Bad Day at the Midway, while not FMV are still neat 90's horror-esque multimedia adventure games.

It was the werewolf one.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ravenkult posted:

It was the werewolf one.
I know, 2 is my favorite of the trilogy, let's take this out back.

:haw:

It really doesn't fit your criteria though, as I said Bad Mojo does, that game is grimy as poo poo.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The other FMV one I got as a kid was Frankenstein with Curry. This was also garbage but god drat it, I tried to finish it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ah poo poo now I remember there is also Ripper. Ripper is definitely worth watching, what with its all star cast of Christopher Walken, Burgess Meredith in his final role, John Rhys-Davies, Jimmie Walker, Karen Allen, and Paul Giamatti before he hit it big.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I actually found that in thrift shop a few days ago, box and all. I wonder if I can run it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ravenkult posted:

I actually found that in thrift shop a few days ago, box and all. I wonder if I can run it.
Probably not if you don't have a computer that runs XP or something. Mid 90's CD games are a pain in the rear end to run on modern 64-bit systems because you can't just run them in DOSBox or something easy like that.

It's worth a shot though. I thought I wouldn't be able to run John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles on Windows 10 but I can. (Blackstone Chronicles is also a really good horror proto-narrative exploration game by the way.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 27, 2016

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

"Anatomy" by an indie dev named Kitty Horrorshow. Completely underrated imo, but I'm fond of extremely tense storytelling. It's a very confined walking sim in that you retread areas, but there's a reason for it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Checking in to say Until Dawn is awesome.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

"Anatomy" by an indie dev named Kitty Horrorshow.

This. Watched someone play it recently and it was one of the few times I'd wished I'd actually played it myself instead.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hey guys, I'm trying to remember this game where you investigate a crime that's randomly generated, and you jump through photos to get to different locations.

that's all I can remember, sorry.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How is the game Yomawari, for the Vita?

It isn't out in English yet, but maybe I could chance somebody who has played the Japanese version in this thread, maybe

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't wait to play RE7

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I'm also gonna recommend Anatomy. It's super tense and has some interesting things going on. If you think her style is neat, she has a patreon where she posts little unity horror games every month. She calls her backers "little birds." :3:

prahanormal fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 28, 2016

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

GulagDolls posted:

yeah I agree.

I was lucky that I got someone who gave real answers the first time I played instead of stuff like "lol its period blood" and "dont kill me cuz ill kno huehuehuehuehue"

I got someone who put in strings of racial slurs for every answer. Cool idea but uh, yeah.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
In Inside does the boy still make sounds like shivering/breathing in fear after the water-girl grabs him and makes him be able to breathe underwater? I know some suggest the secret ending and the idea that he is being controlled the whole time is moreso meta-commentary than literal. But I might be more convinced that he had free will up until the point at which he was grabbed, particularly if he is silent afterward.

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In Inside does the boy still make sounds like shivering/breathing in fear after the water-girl grabs him and makes him be able to breathe underwater? I know some suggest the secret ending and the idea that he is being controlled the whole time is moreso meta-commentary than literal. But I might be more convinced that he had free will up until the point at which he was grabbed, particularly if he is silent afterward.

I went back and checked and he seems considerably quieter after that point, yeah. The one exception is if he gets grabbed when encountering the Masked People in the garage, but even then I noticed that he doesn't pass out when chloroformed like before - he just keeps thrashing and trying to grab the guy by the throat until the game fades to black.