Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I'd rather have the game I'm excited for on release day (not 7pm) than 100 dollars worth of future late games arriving late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Belzac posted:

I'd rather have the game I'm excited for on release day (not 7pm) than 100 dollars worth of future late games arriving late.

So buy digital :)

And the 100 bucks was back on my credit card, not like amazon credit. Their customer support seriously rules. I can understand not wanting to wait for shipping though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
This one is going to digital for me so i can either preload it or download overnight. Plus no disc swapping.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I pretty much only buy digital at this point. But SCEA is such a joke I might actually get Nioh from a gamestop or something similar and save myself 4 hours of reloading the store.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Downloading is a pain. It takes hours and I can't use my ps4 for streaming video while I wait. Discs for me all the time.

Like my hd is completely full, and if I delete games, its not a big deal to reinstall them from disc, but it's a big multi-hour deal to redownload them, during which I can't use my ps4.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'd definitely replace your PS4 HDD if you haven't yet. Having mine always full and having to reinstall games was a serious pain. Upgraded and now I just have everything installed at once and its nowhere close to full.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd definitely replace your PS4 HDD if you haven't yet. Having mine always full and having to reinstall games was a serious pain. Upgraded and now I just have everything installed at once and its nowhere close to full.

It sounds hard and scary.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Belzac posted:

If you work on tuesdays its not an issue

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

It sounds hard and scary.

It is the exact opposite. The PS4's case design is loving genius. It may be my favorite console form factor ever made.

You literally slide off the left half of the case, unscrew the HDD, slide it out, slide in the new one and screw it in, and then slide the case back on.

Sony did a great job. If you've ever changed out an HDD on a desktop computer, the PS4 is the same but easier. Seriously.

See how the left half of the top panel just slides off?

And then the HDD is just sitting there smiling at you, ready to be pulled out. There's one screw to hold it in place and that's ALL.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 26, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=prjQtXkSW2Q

I kid you not I must've died like 100 times to this boss

where is this guy? never found him

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Davincie posted:

where is this guy? never found him

The world map.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

It is the exact opposite. The PS4's case design is loving genius. It may be my favorite console form factor ever made.

You literally slide off the left half of the case, unscrew the HDD, slide it out, slide in the new one and screw it in, and then slide the case back on.

Sony did a great job. If you've ever changed out an HDD on a desktop computer, the PS4 is the same but easier. Seriously.

See how the left half of the top panel just slides off?

And then the HDD is just sitting there smiling at you, ready to be pulled out. There's one screw to hold it in place and that's ALL.

Awesome. I guess I got it confused with swapping 360 hds.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Awesome. I guess I got it confused with swapping 360 hds.

Yeah pretty much all other consoles are a big pain to swap out. The PS4 though, man, I love it.

I think the PS4 is also like the only console that lets you swap out the HDD without voiding the warranty? Great stuff. Sony nailed it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Belzac posted:

I pretty much only buy digital at this point. But SCEA is such a joke I might actually get Nioh from a gamestop or something similar and save myself 4 hours of reloading the store.

If Nioh is like every other PS4 game on the PSN, it'll probably have preloading.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah pretty much all other consoles are a big pain to swap out. The PS4 though, man, I love it.

I think the PS4 is also like the only console that lets you swap out the HDD without voiding the warranty? Great stuff. Sony nailed it.

PS3 too, its possibly even easier than PS4, apart from the very real possibility of stripping the caddy screws, since you just pop open a flap at the bottom rather than having to take off the whole side cover.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The PS4 Slim is apparently going to make it even easier to swap out hard drives. Allegedly there's just a little cover you can take off the side of the unit and slide the hard drive right out.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

If Nioh is like every other PS4 game on the PSN, it'll probably have preloading.

As Nioh is not a Western AAA game I very much doubt it will. They didn't even acknowledge the beta demo with a blog post.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

king of fighters had preload (but it was ruined by an inexplicable 3pm est release) so if snk can swing one, KT totally can too if they care.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

Gamestop won't give you anything off and its loving gamestop. If you're going to buy it from gamestop don't pre-order at all, just walk in on release day and buy it retail like normal.

That's fine for most AAA releases, but with less popular titles from overseas you usually need to preorder because most stores won't even order extra copies. I hope Nioh is popular and successful but I'm not going to risk missing out on my copy just to make a dumb point about preorders.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh holy poo poo, those mandolin yokai are a fantastic idea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The arena submission format is great. I haven't played it in twilight mode or whatever, but it's a cool format.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Fuuuuck. What's with this crazy winged bitch in the caves? What's the trick? I'm using dual katanas/epic giant hammer and only managed to get her stunned once... before she just stood up and healed back to full health practically and killed me for the 100th time. What in the holy gently caress? It's bad enough she attacks fast enough and relentlessly that I don't have time to heal but I can't seem to put any real hurt on her. I'm getting ready to throw in the towel on this game/demo.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Nevermind... turns out blocking without a shield can work. drat my Souls mentality. Have just been circling around guys and buzz sawing/smashing my way through openings so far. She has taught me much.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

muneshige died :rip:

e: oh no it keeps happening

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 27, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love the jank as gently caress hotsprings that teleport your clothes away. games gonna rule

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when does the beta end? i tried to google it but all i got is beta announcements and articles about how amazon had a 10/28 release date on the game but took it down

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I found something saying September 6th, but obviously no way to verify if it's still true.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
you should really be able to continually become a visitor, searching over and over sucks. also people who summon for non boss things are the worst. do you retain pick ups if you die when summoned, or when the host does?

Relin fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 27, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This is good. I'm dying a lot more than I would in a new Dark Souls area because when you get ganked, you get ganked.

How do you switch you your equipped secondary weapon?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Hold R1 and press right or left on the pad or up and down for ranged weapons. The blacksmith is super good once you understand how it works but it's till not gonna stop me from offering everything.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 27, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Relin posted:

you should really be able to continually become a visitor, searching over and over sucks. also people who summon for non boss things are the worst. do you retain pick ups if you die when summoned, or when the host does?

I mean, it takes like 6 button presses, half of which are the d-pad, to re-search. And yes, if I'm summoned to the first shrine on Kuroshima and the host is summoning phantoms, I'm taking a swim. Also yes you keep all items if you or the host dies but you get half the experience.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 27, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So I decided to try out the beta on a whim, and I really like it! I love the speed of it, though it feels much more punishing than any of the souls games. I'm not sure I'm fully understanding the combat, though - I've mostly been sticking with low and middle one-sword. High doesn't seem to hit hard enough to compensate for how slow it is. I also didn't realize that there were multiple tabs to spend the skill points on different weapons, so I guess I'm kind of committed to this one now. I'm up against a wall against the first boss, with the bowling balls, though. Can you actually dodge through those or do you have to position/dodge right?

Are there any good guides or videos on the mechanics? Everything I can find on youtube is for the alpha, which is understandable, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything major.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
High stance can Ki Pulse by dodging and hitting guys in the back with High Stance is the most dps in the game.

Try the block button. It's really good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, blocking is really good. You can block even in the middle of many combos that you can't dodge out of. If you are trying just to dodge, you will think you are being stunlocked, but if you hold block you can actually start blocking mid combo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blocking stops the 1st bosses ball and chain swings which feels really funny

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

things will never go this well again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieVup06pcCA

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Real hurthling! posted:

Blocking stops the 1st bosses ball and chain swings which feels really funny

team ninja's games have a proud tradition of characters being able to block poo poo they really shouldnt

like in ninja gaiden 2 you can block explosions with your sword

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love the opening of the caves. that door that you open that makes the level even harder until you get the shortcut platform is an amazing troll. can't wait for the game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

team ninja's games have a proud tradition of characters being able to block poo poo they really shouldnt

like in ninja gaiden 2 you can block explosions with your sword

you can do it in this one too which makes bombs pretty bad against revenants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Okay, seriously though, blocking doesn't seem to do a god-drat thing against this dude's second form. In particular I haven't found any way to deal with when he throws the bowling balls.

Also sometimes the same attack will cost like 0 stamina when I block it, and other times it'll cost like 80, and I haven't been able to figure out the difference.

I didn't even realize there was locational damage on enemies, would've been nice if the game had pointed that out ever.