Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

i have a 2012 rmbp and i need more ram because i'm running up against the limit doing things that don't use swap well at all

but won't buy a new one until the new models are out

:rip:

Why aren't you sshing to a linux box for that high memory poo poo? that's what Linux is entirely for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

THC posted:

then when they do put out a new thing ppl are all "ugh! planned obsolescence! stop the upgrade treadmill"

No one is ever happy.

A company says "here's the good poo poo for $1400, you don't need to upgrade for four years" to me and I'm overjoyed at my nice Macbook Air

Someone somehow manages to be mad at that

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i sold my 2012 MBA to a friend but it still works great, v satisfactory machine

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Management posted:

I admire shaggar's consistency in always spelling it jonny ives. it's not "tomb cock" amateur-level name calling, just always and intentionally spelling it wrong. it's a dedication to quality that puts him above the crowd.

"Jony" is a typo.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Management posted:

smythe make sh/sc and iyg subforums of yospos, tia

seems legit

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

Why aren't you sshing to a linux box for that high memory poo poo? that's what Linux is entirely for.

the only linux I'm running is os x

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my air is from 2011 and I'm gay

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My macbook pro mid 2010 is about to kick the bucket from a worn out nvidia gpu and I want to spend an unreasonable amount of money on the latest and greatest laptop to last me another 6 years

But who am I kidding, the new macbooks are all built like they were a big stupid iPad and will only be good for a couple years at most with non-upgradable non-replacable everything.
Tim trying to make Steve proud, you're not supposed to open the box! You buy a new one!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just get the upgrades when you buy it and you won't be wishing you could upgrade later

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i paid 1100 for my thinkpad 2.5 years ago and it keeps on truckin

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i paid 900 for my thinkpad 6 years ago and it keeps on truckin

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

i paid 900 for my thinkpad 6 years ago and it keeps on truckin

same

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

judging by everyone at work thinkpads start to fall apart around year 3.5

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm using my mid-2012 Macbook Air and my wife is using her mid-2012 15" macbook pro (non-retina) just fine.

It may be that they haven't been updated because an update hasn't been necessary yet.

Intel peaked with Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge, there's been no need to upgrade cpus since 2012.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm using my mid-2012 Macbook Air and my wife is using her mid-2012 15" macbook pro (non-retina) just fine.

It may be that they haven't been updated because an update hasn't been necessary yet.

i could really use 32gb of ram, and i'm not paying for the laptop, my work is

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Sagebrush posted:

My T440 is still great but i wish it had more RAM. I have one million dollars but i haven't bought more RAM for it.

If the next ThinkPad T4x0 had usb c charging and a hidpi screen it would be perfect

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

zen death robot posted:

that's just because you start abusing the hell out of it on purpose so you get a new laptop

Impossible, ThinkPad T-series machines cannot be destroyed with human technology in my experience

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

zen death robot posted:

that's just because you start abusing the hell out of it on purpose so you get a new laptop

it always amuses me when clients do this

you work for the federal government numbnuts, you seriously believe that's the last celeron laptop in the country you've got there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if you don't have a hidpi screen and nvme ssd then just throw laptop in the trash where it belongs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

zen death robot posted:

I refuse to pay $2000 for a goddamn laptop

you should, but get an xps 15. lol @ spending anything on a mac book

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

isn't this crazy illegal?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Necc0 posted:

isn't this crazy illegal?

I doubt it but it will just piss off subscribers. Spotify is also crying because record labels want them to pay the same amount apple does.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i'm pretty sure penalizing a partner for using a competing service is solidly in anti-trust territory but i'm also not a lawyer

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Necc0 posted:

i'm pretty sure penalizing a partner for using a competing service is solidly in anti-trust territory but i'm also not a lawyer

there aren't standards of where someone needs to show up in search results, they aren't completely excluding them

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Necc0 posted:

as long as spotify isn't a monopoly, they have a lot of latitude

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Necc0 posted:

you have to have a significant majority of the market for this to be the case. penalizing partners for prioritizing a competitor is perfectly legal

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

and, you know, based on the iBooks precedent, the labels going up to spotify as a block and demanding 58% might be more problematic :shrug:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

zen death robot posted:

give people who do this an even worse laptop lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Phoenixan posted:

give people who do this an even worse laptop lol
we keep a stack of thinkpad t440p machines around for just this purpose

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

and, you know, based on the iBooks precedent, the labels going up to spotify as a block and demanding 58% might be more problematic :shrug:

yeah that shits hosed.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
smashing up your blackberry was a tradition at some places every time they released a new model.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

carry on then posted:

judging by everyone at work thinkpads start to fall apart around year 3.5

the trick is to get the good ones instead of the bad ones (in other words the "small business" and "green" thinkpads are garbage)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

smashing up your blackberry was a tradition at some places every time they released a new model.

we got around that by just never updating exchange unless it would obsolete every handset in use

also the q10 sucks i want my curve, which also sucks but doesn't go through batteries as fast, back

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
my early 2011 macbook pro w/ an ssd is still chugging along great. thanks apple.

pages with a shitload of webms/mp4s causes the fan to kick on the afterburners though

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

flakeloaf posted:

we got around that by just never updating exchange unless it would obsolete every handset in use

also the q10 sucks i want my curve, which also sucks but doesn't go through batteries as fast, back

why the gently caress do you use a blackberry in 2016

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Necc0 posted:

my early 2011 macbook pro w/ an ssd is still chugging along great. thanks apple.

same, looks a lil dented tho

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

why the gently caress do you use a blackberry in 2016

flakeloaf posted:

federal government

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

BONGHITZ posted:

my air is from 2011

same

i should prolly upgrade it at some point, the battery is starting to get a little low life

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

also macos is a pos

it's actually the only good linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Apple Fan: "I can't believe this thing I paid $2100 for has lasted three years. I demand the right to pay $2100 every single year. What the gently caress, Tim"

• Locked thread