Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dick Trauma posted:

In our outrage culture it's a simple equation: My side does it=good and their side does it=bad.

It's no more complex than that.

Actually if someone like Tebow came out for racial equality we'd be cheering him on, and he'd be marginalized by his "own side" real drat quick as a RINO, not a real American, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

comes along bort posted:

No I mean refuse to stand for the anthem to protest the treatment of minorities.

I can taste the Freep tears already.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Colin...America is already great. I don't understand your protest.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Actually if someone like Tebow came out for racial equality we'd be cheering him on, and he'd be marginalized by his "own side" real drat quick as a RINO, not a real American, etc.

If he did that he wouldn't be on their side anymore. :ms:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mercury_Storm posted:

This is why my view of Mormons, as cultish as they can be, has softened a little as of late. They actually do put their money where their mouth is and do good works, or at the very least, honestly try to.

Of course, you get the loons like the Bundys, but SLC is known to have a very good program for helping with poverty.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Am I the only one that finds it somewhat rich for a Baptist to be calling out the country for racism?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Colin Kaspernick, such a muslim name if I ever saw one!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

unl33t posted:

Am I the only one that finds it somewhat rich for a Baptist to be calling out the country for racism?

MLK was Baptist.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

unl33t posted:

:ughh:

Not everyone of a religion or religious practice is exactly the same.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yinlock posted:

Not everyone of a religion or religious practice is exactly the same.

But all dem dirty mooslims are the same!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

unl33t posted:

Yes, you are the only one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

unl33t posted:

Who, Kaepernick? I don't know anything about his personal religious beliefs, but black Baptist churches are very different from white Baptist churches, and most are run by a different governing body.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

unl33t posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo this is the worst take I've seen on this yet.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Yinlock posted:

Well duh, athletes are just supposed to Do Sports Good and attribute all of their accomplishments to God(because the omnipotent one is super-invested in The Sports)

He does seem like a good dude, it's a pity he's going to be booted with the shallowest excuse imaginable.

EDIT: from the interview:

how dare he imply that innocent people being murdered is more important than football, the sport Jesus personally endorses

If Kaep gets cut it will be because he is broken and a garbage QB. Niners miraculously seem to have made the correct decision on how to treat his protest though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bad Moon posted:

If Kaep gets cut it will be because he is broken and a garbage QB. Niners miraculously seem to have made the correct decision on how to treat his protest though

The problem is you're going to run into another Kluwe situation if you do.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Dick Trauma posted:

If he did that he wouldn't be on their side anymore. :ms:

A bad post and you should feel bad for making it. :smug:

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Pakled posted:

Who, Kaepernick? I don't know anything about his personal religious beliefs, but black Baptist churches are very different from white Baptist churches, and most are run by a different governing body.

Well, since he grew up in a white family I'm not sure it's a given that he attends a Black Baptist Church, but I honestly don't know that much about it.

And, I'll accept that I am the only one that found it odd and move on, no need to dog-pile.

And just for the record, I in no way meant to imply that he didn't have the right not to stand during the anthem, no more then I think the other 52 members of the team (or whatever the roster size currently is-not sure if final cuts have been made) implicitly condone institutional racism.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Bad Moon posted:

You hate him because you are a Seahawks fan. Admit it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Somehow this will get Trump more black votes.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Did anyone get a screenshot? The tweet is deleted now. What did it say?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

berserker posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/769571710924263424

I just updated my original post. All he did was correct the spelling of Dwyane's first name.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

berserker posted:

It was this tweet, just with Wade's first name spelled wrong.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/769571710924263424

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Imagine being retarded enough to post that tweet twice.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

berserker posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/769571710924263424
E: beaten so badly :sad:

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Why is that? Honest question. If it is I'll look into something else.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because nothing helps poor kids like an endless stream of untrained white 20-somethings looking to build their resumés and play savior for a year or two.

This is not hyperbole. I made the mistake of doing TFA in Baton Rouge in 2009. The public school I worked at was taken over by a charter management organization, which fired all of the actual certified teachers and replaced them with first-year TFA teachers. (I'll leave it up to you to decide why a for-profit organization would want to hire untrained, uncertified teachers over experienced, certified teachers.) None of us had a loving clue what we were doing, and test scores plummeted even lower than they were before. Literally all of the teachers I worked with left after two years to graduate school or law school. In addition, the training is actual garbage. We had five weeks of it before we were dumped into classroom, and it was mostly run by TFA people who had just completed their two years in the classroom.

Do not do TFA. If you want to make a difference, go the traditional teaching certification route where they actually train you, and THEN go teach in a low-performing school.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Pakled posted:

The main reason being that churches were (culturally, not sure about legally) segregated and black parishioners were not allowed to worship in white places of worship

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

GalacticAcid posted:

I just updated my original post. All he did was correct the spelling of Dwyane's first name.

Wow. WOW. I didn't know it was spelled Dwyane either!!

Wait, that's not what I'm wowing about.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

GalacticAcid posted:

He's just doing a standard retard

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GalacticAcid posted:

Imagine being retarded enough to do so after people already tore you to shreds over bragging about one shooting.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Kit Walker posted:

He's just doing a standard retard

:drat:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

iospace posted:

The problem is you're going to run into another Kluwe situation if you do.

The "Kluwe situation" was never really a situation though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

The main reason being that churches were (culturally, not sure about legally) segregated and black parishioners were not allowed to worship in white places of worship

churches aren't some super special entity that can ban black people from white churches

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mandatory lesbian posted:

churches aren't some super special entity that can ban black people from white churches

not since 1978 maybe

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

I think Ipsos's state polls may just be parts of their national poll. Which means the sample sizes are going to be very very small.

This is correct. They're running a national online tracking poll with an unprecedented sample size, big enough that they can break out individual states, although the sample sizes are often still small.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

That's the only mistake that Trump has walked back all campaign, right? Ignoring his temporary immigration walk-back.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

So was there anything in the latest round of Hillary emails that's incriminating or evil? I've kind of tuned out at this point, but people around me keep rambling about some National Review video or some poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GalacticAcid posted:

Colin...America is already great. I don't understand your protest.

But my hat says "Make America Great Again".

Is America already great? Has it lost it's greatness status?

I'm confused... and scared.

iospace posted:

This is why my view of Mormons, as cultish as they can be, has softened a little as of late. They actually do put their money where their mouth is and do good works, or at the very least, honestly try to.

Of course, you get the loons like the Bundys, but SLC is known to have a very good program for helping with poverty.

The super kicker is that they ran the numbers on how much the homeless cost per year and figured out that they can put them in a studio apartment and give them foot stamps for significantly less money. I think the ballpark figures were that between the police and visits to the ER, it averaged out to about $12k/year for each homeless person, and they can put them in an apartment for $10k/yr.

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 27, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mandatory lesbian posted:

I'm pretty sure the Civil Rights Act of 1964 doesn't classify churches as "public accommodations."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I'm pretty sure the Civil Rights Act of 1964 doesn't classify churches as "public accommodations."

why not, that's a dumb oversight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

TheBigAristotle posted:

That's the only mistake that Trump has walked back all campaign, right? Ignoring his temporary immigration walk-back.

nah he has fixed several tweets containing spelling errors. He seems to think you can polish a turd.

• Locked thread