Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

What's most concerning about these departures is that this game was apparently not up to the quality standards for the head writer of Halo 4.

Halo 4 wasn't too bad.

I mean, if you remove the Composer and the Didact and that whole Forerunner/Ancient Humans War thing... but the core story about the Chief and Cortana felt like a great thing to end the series on.

But then they went and made Halo 5, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Today I found these Mass Effect blind bag toys and thought "Hey, I'm cashed up and stupid, I should drop $17 AUD on one of these without knowing anything about their quality!"

I was hoping I would at least get Garrus or Wrex...

What the gently caress is this? is it supposed to be some kind of exclusive translucent one? Or a glitch in the painting machine at whatever lovely factory they're made in?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

That is Garrus, bro

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
It's Saren (the bad guy from part 1)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ME3 is once again on sale on Origin, once again I won't be getting it because YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THE DLC ON SALE FFS EA I'M NOT PAYING FULL PRICE FOR THAT poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ShadowHawk posted:

that's Garren

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

Today I found these Mass Effect blind bag toys and thought "Hey, I'm cashed up and stupid, I should drop $17 AUD on one of these without knowing anything about their quality!"

What the gently caress is this? is it supposed to be some kind of exclusive translucent one? Or a glitch in the painting machine at whatever lovely factory they're made in?

Actually looks like it might glow in the dark?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ShadowHawk posted:

Uh what do you mean "guy"

Kurtofan posted:

that's Garren
It's Gary.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It's me, Gurras, your friend. Don't you remember, Shapurd?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Transmogrifier posted:

Actually looks like it might glow in the dark?

Checked. It doesn't.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Hedrigall posted:

Checked. It doesn't.

Exclusive Cave Fish Garrus

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Hedrigall posted:

I don't want to crush your dreams, but I fear these are not of a quality befitting their $17 price tag :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It looks like something you'd get in a Loot Crate.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sometimes these blind bag things are good. The Zootopia ones are top quality.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alchenar posted:

ME3 is once again on sale on Origin, once again I won't be getting it because YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THE DLC ON SALE FFS EA I'M NOT PAYING FULL PRICE FOR THAT poo poo.

I love it when a persons sense of entitlement prevents them from paying the same price everyone else paid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waltzing Along posted:

I love it when a persons sense of entitlement prevents them from paying the same price everyone else paid.

Is it really entitlement if there is a precedent set for waiting for a sales price?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it really entitlement if there is a precedent set for waiting for a sales price?

On DLC? What precedent?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It's not entitlement to not want to pay full price for 10 year old video games you dipshit.

the precedent is literally like almost every consumer good and the whole concept of depreciation why would you think DLC is a magic exception?

except to be a contrary jackass like usual I guess.

sorry for being mean.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It is entitlement to expect a company to change their prices based on what you want to pay.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't want to crush your dreams, but I fear these are not of a quality befitting their $17 price tag :(

I hope he has a receipt

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

It is entitlement to expect a company to change their prices based on what you want to pay.

DLC is a scam and yeah old poo poo should be cheaper.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tezcatlipoca posted:

DLC is a scam and yeah old poo poo should be cheaper.

Yes and yes.

There should have been an everything bundle released on every system by now. Can't think of why they haven't other than maybe they still sell enough DLC at full price to justify continuing to charge full price.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Then what was your original point???

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think PSN had DLC on sale not too long ago. So it does happen, just not frequently. I guess if you can get the entire trilogy for $12 (that happened recently too) then maybe it's a bit less painful to pay $15 ea for DLC, even though it's still lovely.

If you happen to own the PS3 version 1&2 come with DLC so you only end up buying Arrival (lol why would you) and the stuff for 3. IMO Citadel is actually worth $15, the other two maybe $5 each.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I would've bought the ME3 and DAI DLC by now if they ever went on sale. But it hasn't, so I haven't.
What I'm saying is it just makes logical sense to drop the price on DLC, because then more people will buy it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mymla posted:

I would've bought the ME3 and DAI DLC by now if they ever went on sale. But it hasn't, so I haven't.
What I'm saying is it just makes logical sense to drop the price on DLC, because then more people will buy it.

Inquisition GOTY goes on sale every so often for $20 and it comes with all the DLC.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Inquisition GOTY goes on sale every so often for $20 and it comes with all the DLC.

And it's on sale now. Trespasser is on sale too which is the best DLC anyway.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

And it's on sale now. Trespasser is on sale too which is the best DLC anyway.

Oh, cool. Thanks.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

gently caress off

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Every time this goes on sale, the dude who paid full price for all the dlc has to pile on people complaining to rationalize their own expenditure. What loving world do you live in that things don't depreciate in value?

The only reason they don't go on sale is it because it would be extra work for bioware to support a game that they've acknowledged they don't support any more. Otherwise, they'd be foolish not to reduce the price and yield more profit from more purchases.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
DLC, ha, I just bought this a week ago on PC at "full price". and all the MP DLC is free anyway.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

denimgorilla posted:

Every time this goes on sale, the dude who paid full price for all the dlc has to pile on people complaining to rationalize their own expenditure. What loving world do you live in that things don't depreciate in value?

Is the DLC less entertaining as time goes on? Does it physically degrade in quality, thus reducing value? Why should they lower the price of DLC if they lower the cost of the core game? Cars and houses depreciate in value because they physically get worse. DVDs cost less over time because of syndication and alternative revenue methods. I'm not trying to justify spending full price for DLC, I got my Bioware points on sale with the Origin 30 code, but I would still have paid full price because I support content creators.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

wookieepelt posted:

Is the DLC less entertaining as time goes on? Does it physically degrade in quality, thus reducing value? Why should they lower the price of DLC if they lower the cost of the core game? Cars and houses depreciate in value because they physically get worse. DVDs cost less over time because of syndication and alternative revenue methods. I'm not trying to justify spending full price for DLC, I got my Bioware points on sale with the Origin 30 code, but I would still have paid full price because I support content creators.

Yes, actually. The very IP and entertainment value become objectively less valuable as time goes on, and people are excited about newer things, story details become public knowledge, and so on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What if they are still selling enough DLC to justify keeping it at full price? It's not like they are going to divulge that information, but if you look at their history of releases, everything has had full game + DLC releases other than ME. ME is also their biggest franchise.

I think it is very possible that for every "I refuse to pay full price for the DLC because I didn't for the game itself" you find a few others who say "this game that I got on sale is awesome, I want more and the price of the DLC is worth it to me."

I think you could, starting from nothing, buy the trilogy and all the DLC for $70 or so. This will give you well over 100 hours of gameplay and for the most part is a good time start to finish. Or you could buy No Mans Sky and cry yourself to sleep waiting for DLC prices to drop.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I'm pretty sure that the only reason it doesn't go on sale is because you have to purchase it with bioware points, a currency they no longer use. As to why bioware points never go on sale through EA, I have no answer. Effort?

I do feel like the argument against depreciation is disingenous and willfully ignorant of free market structure. As products become less desired, their perceived value goes down. Old dlc for an old game is not highly sought after and thus is decreased in value because of market competition. I'm not 100% sure if they would make more money from cheaper dlc, but I am pretty sure that without the bioware points hurdle, the dlc would go on sale through Origin as most, if not all, dlc releases eventually do.

At this point I'll assume you are trolling anyways.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

denimgorilla posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only reason it doesn't go on sale is because you have to purchase it with bioware points, a currency they no longer use. As to why bioware points never go on sale through EA, I have no answer. Effort?

I do feel like the argument against depreciation is disingenous and willfully ignorant of free market structure. As products become less desired, their perceived value goes down. Old dlc for an old game is not highly sought after and thus is decreased in value because of market competition. I'm not 100% sure if they would make more money from cheaper dlc, but I am pretty sure that without the bioware points hurdle, the dlc would go on sale through Origin as most, if not all, dlc releases eventually do.

Not trolling, I just don't get why people demand DLC goes on sale when the base game is sold as part of a trilogy for less than what the original game cost. DLC is a way to continue make money. Bioware points are part of why it's not on sale, but I'm sure they could get rid of biopoints as currency easily enough. They probably make a fair bit of money on DLC as the guy above your post mentioned.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So to make an interesting point, while EA seem to have a lovely practise of not putting DLC on sale in the hopes that people who buy in to the base game on a sale get caught on a sunk costs fallacy (although that does seem to be changing), Mass Effect seems to have a particularly lovely situation because all the DLC is on the Bioware store and I bet Bioware have to give permission on sales or something and they're long past caring at all.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
All I'll say is that the industry has the term "back catalog" for a reason.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Mass Effect good, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

denimgorilla posted:

This whole post is making the assumption that the purchase is for PC. PS3/360 are just via those services and those are also the majority of players. Roughly 2/3 of the purchases were on 360 and that doesn't use origin at all.

Alchenar posted:

So to make an interesting point, while EA seem to have a lovely practise of not putting DLC on sale in the hopes that people who buy in to the base game on a sale get caught on a sunk costs fallacy (although that does seem to be changing), Mass Effect seems to have a particularly lovely situation because all the DLC is on the Bioware store and I bet Bioware have to give permission on sales or something and they're long past caring at all.

Same here. PC gamers are a small fraction of the ME players. 10% or so.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 29, 2016

• Locked thread