Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

:)

Thanks for posting that. I'm maybe a bit older than you so never felt that way particularly about this game, but I know the feeling

My memories of having absconded with the playstation my brother left behind when he went to Bosnia are many and amazing. More than my old NES and various PCs, that was my peak nostalgia gaming era. The PS2 wasn't going to be out for another three years almost, and I played so many amazing games. Both Parasite Eve's, the various FF's, Koudelka amazingly from my lovely french canadian suburb video store rental wall, RE 3, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid... gently caress those were fun days.

Also and further;

I always forget how much stuff is packed into the third disk. There ain't gettin offa this train, gentlegoons, and it's about to go somewhere spectacular.

I want to reserve this for my future avatar, as honestly, Beatrix has too much sass to deal with your genocide, Brahne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: "i illh elp you" Bort say with the cry she was sad cause thoughts gitan was dead but it was zombie trick!

Gitan needs as much magic defense as possible. There's a forced battle with several zombies and the ol' Stop tricks won't work here as 2/3 of their arsenel can make them kill themselves. I'll need an alternate strategy.

Dracozombies (dragon zombies by way of character limits) are the quarry today.

First, Gitan needs to be under Shell and at max HP at all times.

This is hard.

He'll steal while everyone else does the hard work.

This is the move I want to see.

Kukri's new dull red color indicates that she's doubly dead. She's not who we want to be the zombie.

The battle spirals out of control and a hail mary Stop nails it. The trunk is long enough I'll have another shot.

You know, assuming the other random encounters behave.

Things can very quickly go wrong when Gitan gets punched in the dick by a zombie.

thanks mr stroper

Dracozombies can cast level 5 death. Its animation is so long that I can let the team's ATB fill up, and it hits no one because CHALLENGE GIMMICK.

You know, having only the one magic tag is making this a lot more risky than it should be.

So I reload the save from before I set out to the tree (rotate your saves, children!) and buy a lame baker's dozen. So I set off again for the Iifa Tr

thanks mr stroper

Well besides that, getting to Mocchi again is nbd.

Soul Blade with The Ogre to blind the dragon. Its physical is the #1 cause of lost Gitans.

Papito tries to Slow the thing while the girls try to mute it. This reduces its offense to an inaccurate physical and Zombie Breath, and makes it not move so drat much.

Finally, it hits Gitan with Zombie Breath while he's muted! Now he has the zombie status whi-

oh my god

haha

WELP

How did this fight go so wrong? What would happen first, Bort running, it striking her, using Zombie Breath, or the end of my natural lifespan?

I don't bother to find out.

NEXT try it zombies Gitan and I don't have auto-potion.

I need to save this. Luckily, its not very far to Mocchi.

Zombies can heal in tents, thankfully.

If GItan gets KOed on my way there, I'd have to tag him, revive him, then get him zombie'd AGAIN.

I'll just reset, thank you.

Okay make that double, apparently.

why mr stroper

why do you do this to me

Slapping Bort sucks but at least it's not a party wipe!

Anyway, after ALL that. Here's the magic elevator to Hell.

If Bort never said this, would we not have this pointless filler fight?

You may not have ever thought about it, but everything I did up there with dracozombies is entirely because of this fight. Zombies tend to kill themselves, you see. Papito can't Stop them reliably.

So, instead, I Elixir all but one of them. God I love using Elixirs.

And then I chop the party down to just Gitan and one other person. And then...

This zombozo ruins everything.

Here we are again at the magic elevator to Hell.

Elixir all but one, lose two party members, and...

Hm, well, this can work out. If it hits Gitan, he's fine. If it hits Papito, Gitan can Elixir the zombie.

If it hits the Zombie, it should just be healed, right?

Nope.

Mog senses so much life, hence why I want to die.

Ah, the rare two zombozos. This just saves an elixir.

But there's no saving me!

OH MY GOD

Finally, on the next attempt, the zombozo finally does what it's supposed to do when all but one of them are gone and two party members are KOed and melts on the non-Gitan one.

The zombozo dies to deal damage equal to its remaining HP, but that leaves no one standing but Gitan. He should gain enough EXP to reach level 13, but...

Zombies don't get EXP.

Yep, that's all that was for.

There's a chance to menu afterwards. The zombie status has done its job, and there's another fight on the elevator.

Just duck and hope it passes over you!

It's a Dracozombie. Papito stops it.

This is another one of those things that makes this challenge possible. Were this not here, or were its defense bonus lower, Gitan would have to reach level 2 or 3 simply to have enough HP.

Oh Soulcage dies to an elixir like the zombozos.

Despite all the abilites mastered, none of them matter. Bort's Auto-Potion might, some day, maybe.

Next thing of interest is the Scarlet Hair fight.

The Ritual Hat, Brigandine, and Power Belt give Gitan enough defense to not beef it. If he had any less, Scarlet Hair could roll high and one-shot him occasionally, and he's getting hit a few dozen times this fight.

Meanwhile Gitan steals both of his items. The Poison Knuckles are actually completely useless in this challenge. Who knew?

And when all of that is done, Gitan smacks him for a fair bit of damage.

I tried running Counter to make this go a little faster, but to my chagrin,

it overrides Auto-Potion. I'm learning things about this game!

Attempt 2. It goes on long enough that Gitan will probably hit Trance despite his tiny spirit stat and the gauge being empty from his time among the living dead.

The Rune Tooth is giving him Solution 9, but he only has enough MP for Soul Blade's Dyne, Shift Break.

It's still enough to win the fight.

Waow, I can't believe I'm in an RPG, waow.

Owen Wilson has stats, I suppose. His main use is using Chakra to refill Papito's MP and punching one boss later.

Even variant runs don't have much to do with him. At least he has Zoolander under his belt.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why it's almost as if this game wasn't designed to be played at level 1.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh god

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Owen Wilson? Well there goes any appreciation I had for Amarant.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

A good homage to the best SGDQ run this year

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
OFS, you are a national treasure

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My favorite part of this update is watching OFS slowly descend into madness with each reset.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Worst part is, the Brigandine gives Zidane enough defense to survive a sweep. Shame it's lying at the bottom of the tree instead of the top, eh?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I forgot to mention, Owen Wilson already has 11 experience because that's how many Blank had, way back at the plant spiders.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh the tangled webs we weave, when we strive for XP to not receive.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I hope he finds his car keys

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I forgot to mention, Owen Wilson already has 11 experience because that's how many Blank had, way back at the plant spiders.

Well he is a seasoned mercenary after all

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Mr Stroper is my new favorite random encounter

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mr Stroper was just trying to shake hands decaying phalluses with the party, he's very enthusiastic when making new friends :(

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

sleep tight mr stropupper

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I decided to just get it off Steam instead of trying to find a way of getting my old, scratched up disks working properly.

It is phenomenal how much detail the models and animations have that you just could not see on the PSX. Like, I know it's been mentioned in the threat, but actually experiencing it is something else.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I now have a mental image of a Mr Stroper miming ringing a tiny bell and looking at the camera smiling at his hilarity in a closeup and I've never wished I could draw harder

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

This is one of the best things to come out of this thread.

(stay hard mr stroper)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm currently on vacation so the perfect game guide's version of Stroper Madness will have to wait a little, unless I find time randomly after a good day's swim on the beaches of Croatia.

Let me just tell you this: OFS went through his own personal hell trying to get Zidane zombie'd and not fingered by Stropers. You can look forward to a strategy in the Guide which is even crazier.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This is no way to treat a lady!!

Seems Steiner's back to normal, bravely protecting the castle by kicking out six-year-olds.

Zidane! Oh, it was horrible!

What did you just say!? Do you want to repeat that!?

Be thankful that Eiko isn't nearly as annoying as most jRPG kids are. FF is actually pretty good in regard to kids, Palom and Porom aren't that bad a comedy routine plus kill themselves before they get too annoying, Rydia randomly grows up mid-game, and Relm can get you 99 Illuminas. Of course, she can also break your game but details...

Me? I'm Eiko! Eiko Carol of Madain Sari!
From Madain Sari? Why, I've never heard of it.
Don't you know anything? Madain Sari is a-

This is the royal castle! You do not belong here!

Master Vivi! A pleasure to see you again.
We came here to see Dagger.
The princess? Hmm...

-----

Here comes Dagger, all dressed up in her ridiculous near-Queen dress.

Interestingly enough, the game refers to her as Garnet here. Previous scenes she was still Dagger.

Wow... You look beautiful!
Splendid!

Zidane is a chump.

(Zidane...)

Dagger, wait!

Oh, no. Of course not. I won't be able to wander around the world with you anymore...but I'll never forget our journey together.
Dagger...

Dagger Garnet's revelation in Madain Sari also established a really nice friendship between Dagger Garnet and Eiko. Kind of a shame it has to stop here.

Let's trade the jewels as a symbol of our friendship.

You may be wondering what jewels they're talking about. First there's the Silver Pendant, the Alexandria jewel Garnet always wears and that Brahne tried to take from her. There's the Falcon Claw, the treasure of Lindblum. The Desert Star, the jewel that was in the harp in Cleyra. Finally, there's the Memory Earring, Eiko's last momento of her heritage and the symbol of Madain Sari.

These four items are actually in our Key Items now, though it'll be next update when I show them off proper. There's some story significance to these four special jewels in this Final Fantasy game, but if it's not obvious yet the game will tell you just what they are in a few updates.

And with that, Garnet is gone to do important Queen stuff, like

I don't know...

And?

I had a whole speech ready for her. But it would've been a lie! How could I lie to her!? 'Good luck, Dagger! I'll be watching you from afar. Come find me if you need someone to talk to.' It's a big fat lie! That's not how I feel at all!

...Zidane's not taking this whole "getting dumped" thing well.

-----

:siren: :siren:

I wish I hadn't written that stupid letter. Zidane looked so sad... Isn't there anything I can do for him?

You insensitive fool!!! You don't even know how I feel...

Zidane probably kinda knew Eiko has a crush on him, but kinda didn't take it seriously because, well, he's Zidane and always had more important things on his mind (i.e. Dagger). Of course, watching someone you want to be with pine over someone else is always frustrating, especially if you're six years old and don't actually understand romance beyond not-Shakespeare's plays.

This music's pretty nice by the way, on the soundtrack it's not supposed to show up until the start of Disc 4 or so but it's pretty good stuff even now.

I gotta hide before he shows up!

Someone's coming! Could it be Zidane!?

:siren: :siren:

I guess I'm early...
...Maybe.

What.

Well... Just read the letter. I bet she's beautiful!
Really? Are you sure you didn't write it yourself? I mean, you caught the letter falling from the floor above you, right?
I'm telling you, she was too shy to hand me the letter herself! And if you don't think I'm a ladies' man, you're wrong. Chicks are intimidated by good-looking guys. That's why...

Marcus! Don't interrupt me while I'm talking!

Alright, alright...

NO DON'T DROP THE LETTER YOU PUTZ NOW IT'S GONNA SPREAD ITS DISEASE

Oh gently caress it's gonna get Steiner next.

Dusk to dawn, rain or shine, I must patrol the castle!

Huh?

STEINER NOOOOOOO

Let's see...

M-M-My goodness!

Who wrote it to whom!? Hmm... No address or addressee... Did someone drop it here, knowing that I would pass by?

...OH BOY.

So, uh...Eiko may have just accidentally hooked up Beatrix and Steiner.

(A-Are they in love?)

(Shh! Quiet!)

Yep. That fiendish love letter has united two fierce rivals into something more bizarre.

This is simultaneously Shakespeare and anime as gently caress.

(Then stick your thumb up it!)

This is the greatest Final Fantasy.

So of course Baku comes out of nowhere to ruin it.

Definitely had to GIF Marcus here. It'd have been a travesty if I didn't.

-----

Who knows...
I'll go look for him...

Hey, watch it! I'm NOT in a good mood right now! Stay out of my way!

Eiko reminds me of a lot of poorly-written jRPG heroines, except she's six so her behavior actually makes sense.

Have you seen a young lady named Eiko?
Oh!

Ha ha ha... You're as energetic as ever.
Yup! I'm always energetic!

Did you say something?
No, I didn't! Didn't you come here to talk to me about something?
Oh, yes. I almost forgot... Your village... What was the name...?
Madain Sari.
Yes, I wanted to ask you a few questions about Madain Sari.
Sure, I'll tell you everything I know. You helped me out. But why don't we go to your place? We can relax there.
To my home? My home is located in Treno. It's a bit far from here...
Treno? Sounds like a cool place! I'm really interested in sightseeing! I wanna go there.

I wanna participate.

OH gently caress YOU ZIDANE, YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo.

I wanna go, too...
I'd like to go, as well.
Treno, huh...?
Ha ha ha... Quite a party this is becoming.

Yep, we're done with Alexandria. The We-Just-Saved-The-World Tour is moving over next to Treno, where we're gonna spend all night playing Magic: The Gathering except with more RNG.

-----

CAVE SOUNDS

Kinda looks like the Iifa Tree before we got rid of the Mist.
I don't think the Mist is as dense as it was before.
Yes, I heard that you all stopped the Mist... The Mist permeated through the roots. That is probably why it still lingers here.

Remember those weird roots that show up in the overworld around the Mist Continent? Probably not, but those were from the Iifa Tree.

Oh, right, you weren't around for Fossil Roo. Lucky.

Yes. Shall we?

While the gang travels to Treno, let's get an ATE out of the way.

Yes!
Sure, you are about that?
That is enough!
Now, we do what?

So you're going to ask forgiveness from the woman you forcibly extracted Eidolons from and whose companions you actively attacked, including General Beatrix herself. Yes, that's going to go over really well.

I will not know until-

We must hide!

Looks like no one's here.
Yeah.

...keep up the night watch and preserve Alexandria's peace.
Yeah, I think so, too.

Okay, let's finish our rounds.
Alright.

That was close.
Now what?
We cannot stay as long as those meddlers are here! We must leave Alexandria!

So yeah, so much for that.

Next time, the gang arrives at Treno to play lovely card games. Also we do some really weird and esoteric things we can only do now because this is a jRPG. Yep!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Looks like Zidane is heading to Battle City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EanBCIxkB0

It's gonna be terrible.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EanBCIxkB0

It's gonna be terrible.

I don't think even Yami Yugi could win reliably at Tetra Master. The game is truly an example of massive RNG bullshit at its finest.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
It really is sad that a single change could have made Tetra Master totally fine. (Bigger number = Win, à la Triple Triad and common sense.)

Instead... Well, I'm sure Mega64 will give us the details amidst all the swearing and curses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
This is definitely the best Final Fantasy. Shame they had to follow up these excellent scenes with loving Tetra Master and ruin the mood.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly I'm surprised Steiner recognized that letter as a love one. I probably wouldn't have been able to grasp the meaning of the flowery language.

Beatrix? Sure. Blank? Well he does plays and stuff.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Oh my god how did I never notice Marcus's animation before.

This is the best game.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
A story mandated card game whose first place prize will most likely be totally useless? OH BOY!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

It really is sad that a single change could have made Tetra Master totally fine. (Bigger number = Win, à la Triple Triad and common sense.)

Instead... Well, I'm sure Mega64 will give us the details amidst all the swearing and curses.

The first game I play was complete bullshit (albeit completely in my favor but still).

LEGO Genetics posted:

A story mandated card game whose first place prize will most likely be totally useless? OH BOY!

If it was useless I'd have no qualms not trying like I did with Jump Rope and Super Hippaul Kart. The reward is actually pretty good, but it's also the only reason to even play Tetra Master other than more cards and the "fun" of the game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love that scene by the dock, start to finish. It's probably the most theatrical scene in the entire game. I could definitely see that being performed on a stage somewhere.

And really Steiner? A quick look left and right and you call it clear? Get your poo poo together.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mega64 posted:

Let's trade the jewels as a symbol of our friendship.

I sure hope the Burmecians and people of Lindblum are okay with that.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love that scene by the dock, start to finish. It's probably the most theatrical scene in the entire game. I could definitely see that being performed on a stage somewhere.

It's like something out of Shakespeare, for sure.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was amazed they included an arc where Vivi loses his rare Antlion card, Zidane wins it back, and they promise to challenge each other over it when they become True Duelists.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Why are Blank and Marcus suddenly night watchmen on Zidane's behalf...?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
In Zidane's current state if something happened to Alexandria, he'd probably do something stupid.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

I love how Beatrix's reaction is just to hide.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
This might have been brought up already, (who reads threads?????) but I just had a thought. "Fossil Roo", do you suppose it was intended to be Fossil Route but with a french pronunciation?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zorn and Thorn showing up to try and join Garnet makes no sense and really bugs me. I have beaten this game several times and it just doesn't work any way you try to explain it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The romance between Beatrix and Steiner is excellent and I love everything about it. It's nice to see this again as there's a lot of little details I forgot.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

NikkolasKing posted:

Zorn and Thorn showing up to try and join Garnet makes no sense and really bugs me. I have beaten this game several times and it just doesn't work any way you try to explain it.

Zorn and Thorn don't make a lot of sense on disc 3 in general :v: There's an interesting fan theory about them I remember reading back in the day, but it'll have to wait until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Zorn and Thorn want to be serving anyone with power, and Garnet has the power that Brahne used to have. they aren't big on morals, so it's not really surprising they'd try to come back. the worst that's going to happen is that they get turned away, since they know the "heroes" aren't going to kill them on sight.

• Locked thread