Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I use an XP virtual machine for the few annoying CD DOS and Win 95 games I can't seem to get working by any other means like The Dark Eye. So I think XP will serve you well for pretty much anything you want, DOS included.

Yeah I think I just put XP on it instead. The PC originally XP when I got it, so it fitting to go back to it. Now I just need to find the book that had the cd for it still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hard enough that you can't buy it for DIY directly from the maker. Only known installers can buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0eS4Qe2LM

Yeah, I think the guy's overstating the difficulty a bit, its no worse than doing a NESRGB or Hi-Def NES mod as long as you have steady hands and a magnifier. Hopefully they are more widely available soon; I still haven't been able to order any.

RZA Encryption posted:

Woooow that looks super good.

Hey, do you happen to have any of Tim Worthington's "Fine pitch DAC adapter for N64RGB" lying around? I need to get one, but the distance it will have to travel is making me put it off, which makes no sense because now it'll be even longer before I get one. It'd be neat to buy one off someone already in the US.

I don't, but the DAC adapter does qualify for the budget $5AUD shipping service (as does the N64RGB itself). Do you already have the board and just need the adapter?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

This is a retro PC question, but I dug up from the closet my original PC I got back in 2006 after I got my first job. It had Vista :banghead: on it so I used the usb flash drive to put the Window 98 SE OS on it. After a few annoying issues I got it installed, but I can't put any files on Window 98 now. USB stick isn't supported as it a 2.0, cd-drive is dead and it uses PATA so I don't have a spare, and the ethernet cable needs a file from the Window 98 cd to work...which doesn't work since I can't use the cd I have on it. Shame, since everyone says 98 is the best for retro pc games, but I can't do anything with it, so I wonder if I should just put XP back on it instead.

Next time place the unofficial windows 98se service pack installer on your usb stick, and when you boot from it copy the file over to the hard drive while booted into DOS mode.

Among other things it can install a universal usb 2.0 flash drive driver so that usb sticks work flawlessly.

It's also a good idea to copy the WIN98 folder to the hard drive directly, as that's what it wants to use when installing drivers.

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/ Remember, it needs 98 se not regular 98

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 27, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a CDI for some reason. Is there any option for getting a decent controller for it that isn't like 50+ dollars?

edit: The list of 5 CDI games in the OP should take Merlin's Apprentice off and put on Laser Lords instead. :colbert:

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 27, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Next time place the unofficial windows 98se service pack installer on your usb stick, and when you boot from it copy the file over to the hard drive while booted into DOS mode.

Among other things it can install a universal usb 2.0 flash drive driver so that usb sticks work flawlessly.

It's also a good idea to copy the WIN98 folder to the hard drive directly, as that's what it wants to use when installing drivers.

http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/ Remember, it needs 98 se not regular 98

How can I do this at this point? I tried to use the Easy USB Booter, but it ignores it and goes straight to Window 98 now. And going into DOS mode just gives me a error if I try to go to the B: drive.

[edit] Actually I might have a solution. The PC I am using used to have Vista, which I didn't erase and just removed the hard-drive for it. So I just going to boot into that and move the files over to 98 from there.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 27, 2016

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Edit: Forgot I already asked this thread. Sorry!

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 27, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Light Gun Man posted:

I bought a CDI for some reason. Is there any option for getting a decent controller for it that isn't like 50+ dollars?

edit: The list of 5 CDI games in the OP should take Merlin's Apprentice off and put on Laser Lords instead. :colbert:

A. no, I only got lucky from someone in this very thread ($35), so best of luck
B. agree

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Caitlin posted:

A. no, I only got lucky from someone in this very thread ($35), so best of luck
B. agree

I'm probably not even going to bother thinking about the video addon since Laser Lords doesn't need it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Monitor Burn posted:

I don't, but the DAC adapter does qualify for the budget $5AUD shipping service (as does the N64RGB itself). Do you already have the board and just need the adapter?

Correct. My wife got me the board for christmas, and I recently got around to installing it only to find I have the really tiny dac (MAV-NUS). Oh well, I just need to actually get around to ordering it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's basically all the worst parts of Amsterdam and Atlantic City but with worse gambling, less strip clubs, and way more expensive beer, so even if you wanted to have fun in a skeezy hole you're gonna pay out the rear end for it. And honestly there are way better skeezy shitholes to party in in Tokyo, and ones that contain dramatically less drunken foreign business people.

Isn't Roppongi just about the only place in the entirety of Japan where buying weed is feasible? Like, still an incredibly loving dumb thing to try and do, but somewhat less likely to end with being locked up and the key being promptly thrown away?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i hear you can get it from africans there and its usually not weed & you actually just get robbed

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

symbebekos posted:

Basic question before I shoot myself in the dick: if I get a Super Everdrive or SD2SNES and a Super Famicom, I'll be able to play SNES roms on it without issue, correct?

Yeah. The SD2SNES will play a few more titles than the SNES Everdrive. Another big bonus of the SD2SNES is that people are always writing code for it. To put it in perspective, on the SNES Everdrive you need to physically install a DSP chip to play Mario Kart. On the SD2SNES, you can play them by dropping a DSP.bin in the root of the SD card. It's really cool.

And I will sound like a broken record but if you ever need a reason to get the SD2SNES, it's because of the CD audio/FMV/MSU1 hacks out for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v788KslHvbU

Kid Fenris posted:

I don't want Europeans near my NES Classic! They'll fill it with Zool and James Pond!

And 50FPS games!!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
On the other hand, the premium that the SD2SNES carries over a DSP upgraded Super Everdrive is enough to offset modern versions of Ecco the Dolphin CD personally.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Don't ROMs load a lot quicker on the SD2SNES?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got an urge to play a game, but I dunno what. Someone name something I probably have.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Allen Wren posted:

I've got an urge to play a game, but I dunno what. Someone name something I probably have.

SNES SimCity.

There is never a wrong time to play that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Don't ROMs load a lot quicker on the SD2SNES?

Very.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

How can I do this at this point? I tried to use the Easy USB Booter, but it ignores it and goes straight to Window 98 now. And going into DOS mode just gives me a error if I try to go to the B: drive.

[edit] Actually I might have a solution. The PC I am using used to have Vista, which I didn't erase and just removed the hard-drive for it. So I just going to boot into that and move the files over to 98 from there.

Yeah sticking the Vista drive back in to copy over the WIN98 folder contents (or really the whole windows 98 se cd contents to a single folder, just to be safe) and the unofficial service pack would work well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Yeah sticking the Vista drive back in to copy over the WIN98 folder contents (or really the whole windows 98 se cd contents to a single folder, just to be safe) and the unofficial service pack would work well.

Yeah it worked, I got the driver for the usb 2.0 installed so I an install files easily now. Also got the drivers for the motherboard installed so it not stuck in default graphical settings too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Woke up this morning to find my 11 year old daughter playing earthbound. A good day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did you yell fuzzy pickles?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Are multisystem component cables as good as the OEM ones? I lost my PS2 set and the easiest way to get some in a hurry is to buy the PS3/360/Wii multisystem cables of various brands that are floating around at game stores here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Are multisystem component cables as good as the OEM ones? I lost my PS2 set and the easiest way to get some in a hurry is to buy the PS3/360/Wii multisystem cables of various brands that are floating around at game stores here.

Component cables are generally as simple as you can get. That means that as long as the construction is good there shouldn't be any problem with them. And even if it isn't, it's got be really egregiously bad to make a difference.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Kind of in a similar boat with cables. I got a free 30" trinitron with hdmi, component, and s-video. I see Retrovision is waiting on more SNES component cables and they're usually about $50 with shipping stuff. Is the difference from s-video to component worth it? And if not, is there a particular cable to buy? I see game stores carrying the av/s-video cables in one made by Hyperkin or TTK or whatever but remember people mentioning that some cables just split the signal and don't do much. With this tv I'd ideally like to set up NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube for game boy player, PS2, and Xbox.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

Kind of in a similar boat with cables. I got a free 30" trinitron with hdmi, component, and s-video. I see Retrovision is waiting on more SNES component cables and they're usually about $50 with shipping stuff. Is the difference from s-video to component worth it?

Probably not on a CRT. Although if you can get a set of Retrovision cables, you could probably flip them once they're out of stock again if you're not happy with the purchase.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Random Stranger posted:

Component cables are generally as simple as you can get. That means that as long as the construction is good there shouldn't be any problem with them. And even if it isn't, it's got be really egregiously bad to make a difference.

Thanks! It would certainly save me some money to not have to track down Sony branded cables.

symbebekos
Jun 6, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah. The SD2SNES will play a few more titles than the SNES Everdrive. Another big bonus of the SD2SNES is that people are always writing code for it. To put it in perspective, on the SNES Everdrive you need to physically install a DSP chip to play Mario Kart. On the SD2SNES, you can play them by dropping a DSP.bin in the root of the SD card. It's really cool.

And I will sound like a broken record but if you ever need a reason to get the SD2SNES, it's because of the CD audio/FMV/MSU1 hacks out for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v788KslHvbU

And 50FPS games!!

Whaaaat! That's cool. Now leaning hard toward the SD2SNES. Thanks to you and Kthulhu5000 for the replies, I always loved the look of the SFC as a kid and now it's time to get one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
MSU hacks are always kind of meh in my mind, because I have yet to hear one that's been orchestrated by a team and instead it comes off of 'Hey this OCremix sounds great shove it in there instead of Boomer_Kwanger.mid'.

Plus the FMV animation is baaaaad.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

MSU hacks are always kind of meh in my mind, because I have yet to hear one that's been orchestrated by a team and instead it comes off of 'Hey this OCremix sounds great shove it in there instead of Boomer_Kwanger.mid'.

Plus the FMV animation is baaaaad.

There's a couple that use Blake Robinson's adaptations and they are consistent. Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid are recommended.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2016

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Curious to hear how this would work on a Mario World MSU hack

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Curious to hear how this would work on a Mario World MSU hack

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxta_tvvXyg

Edit: Though not everything from xoc_SMW is used technically.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 27, 2016

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Oh god the non xoc tracks are hideously jarring make it stop! :gonk:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Oh god the non xoc tracks are hideously jarring make it stop! :gonk:

I don't know which ones are the xoc tracks because they all sound like terrible arrangements to me.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Does anyone think that the SD2SNES will ever get Super FX support?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wizgot posted:

Does anyone think that the SD2SNES will ever get Super FX support?

One day. One day...

:negative:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:ughh:

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

How do you even? :psyduck:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
That's the kind of store you visit after returning from Japan to sell them goods at 50% their planned retail price.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You're definitely getting your $23 worth out of the cart on the right.

My Chinese repros arrived today. I'm looking forward to seeing if they're functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lol. What was the criteria for the price differences?

• Locked thread